Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2023, 15:25   #2656
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush_DT View Post
Could anybody please suggest me all in one tool kit with drill machine for home use? ...
I suggest... don't buy all-in-one toolkit!

At first, you have a nice plastic case, into which everything fits perfectly. Eventually, some things will break, some wear out, some get upgraded, and only the things you never used anyway are still fitting perfectly.

Buy what you need, individually. Buy a bag or toolbox to carry them in. Buy a drill-shaped box to carry drills, bits, etc.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 15:33   #2657
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush_DT View Post
Could anybody please suggest me all in one tool kit with drill machine for home use? I have literally very few tools and I am thinking to start to do it by myself and learn over the time. I read the forum and I could see many suggested Bosch GSB 13 professional kit but that was in 2016. Hence, looking for suggestions and guidance. Thanks!
I suggest this since I am using one for past few years. Everthing is good quality except the metal drill bits. They break very easily.

https://www.amazon.in/Bosch-GSB-500W...zcF9hdGY&psc=1
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 18:26   #2658
BHPian

Could anyone suggest good list of attachments/accessories for a drill which could come handy in day to day work? Like screw driver attachments look useful, anything else you all use?
Old 19th June 2023, 23:04   #2659
BHPian

There is something about multi tools that entices me. I have carried the Victorinox Huntsman with me for many years, especially on camping trips. I then got a Leatheman wave as it had plyers. The plyers add ability to cut wires, & cables that seem handy.

This father's day, I got the mother of all multitools the Victorinox Spirit X plus. I am blown away by the build quality of this unit. The way in which the tools snap in and out is oddly satisfying.
Tools for a DIYer-swisstool.jpg
GutsyGibbon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 09:59   #2660
Distinguished - BHPian

Screw extracters

I recently got to use the screw extractor to remove rusted and stripped head screws. I am very impressed. Got out 3 out of 4 stripped screws. One of them snapped off below the head.

Very simple to use. With the drill in reverse mode, use the pointed tip of the bit in the center of the screw to create a hole in the head. Then swap to the other end and with the drill still in reverse mode, slowly spin the bit head in the hole created earlier and it will grab onto the hole and rotate the screw out in a jiffy. Key is to hold the drill straight and use slow drill speed in both the steps. A squirt or two of WD40 10 mins prior to attempting this can help as well!

The set I have is similar to this.
https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...ZmICjIQ9pwGCAU

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 29th June 2023 at 10:13.
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 08:40   #2661
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking for a basic but high quality corded electric driver/drill for furniture assembly and minor drilling etc.

Didn't have a great experience with a Black & Decker KC4815 cordless one, as the battery cannot hold any charge after barely 2 years and minimal use. Usage will be intermittent and hence was looking for corded.
Don't really need a bunch of tools and only the basic screwdriver + good bits is enough.

Open to cordless of course if recommended. Budget variable but would like to cap to 7K. Any thoughts?

Last edited by itwasntme : 13th July 2023 at 08:43.
Old 13th July 2023, 10:08   #2662
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Looking for a basic but high quality corded electric driver/drill for furniture assembly and minor drilling etc.

Didn't have a great experience with a Black & Decker KC4815 cordless one, as the battery cannot hold any charge after barely 2 years and minimal use. Usage will be intermittent and hence was looking for corded.
Don't really need a bunch of tools and only the basic screwdriver + good bits is enough.

Open to cordless of course if recommended. Budget variable but would like to cap to 7K. Any thoughts?
For furniture assembly, you need a light drill without the hammer mode(THis adds to the weight). A heavy drill will make the IKEA type furniture assembly really cumbersome. I tried it a couple of months ago with my 500W Bosch corded drill with hammer mode and the heft and the size made it difficult to navigate through the Cupboard assembly since I needed both the hands to stabilize the drill weight. You ideally need a drill light enough so that you can-do single-handed operation.

If you are not drilling on masonry(Requires hammer mode), I suggest you buy the lightest non-hammer drill. If you want both masonry and furniture assembly, I do not think any corded drill would meet the requirements.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 13th July 2023 at 10:10.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 10:17   #2663
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
If you are not drilling on masonry(Requires hammer mode), I suggest you buy the lightest non-hammer drill. If you want both masonry and furniture assembly, I do not think any corded drill would meet the requirements.
Great tips, thank you! Unfortunately I need a multi-purpose one with which I can frequently assemble furniture and infrequently drill holes in brick walls to hang heavy pictures. Open to cordless too if battery lives have improved.

While I would have liked an EU or Malaysia etc. manufacture, it looks like everything is made in China in the <5K range like these:

https://www.amazon.in/BLACK-DECKER-H...01N4OMFH8&th=1
https://www.amazon.in/STANLEY-SDH600...08TX1XD1D&th=1

Cordless example: https://www.amazon.in/Black-Decker-L...1&sr=1-20&th=1

Open to Indian brands like iBell, Krost, Agni etc. too if they come recommended.

Last edited by itwasntme : 13th July 2023 at 10:20.
Old 13th July 2023, 10:20   #2664
BHPian

Quote:
the battery cannot hold any charge after barely 2 years and minimal use.
That precisely was the reason I'd opted for corded drill machines. At the moment I have both the Bosch (500W) and B&D (550W) corded ones and they both seem just fine.
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 11:52   #2665
Senior - BHPian

Just get a Bosch 10mm drill. There are quite a few 10mm models, peruse the Bosh site and Amazon to find what is best for you.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 16:24   #2666
Distinguished - BHPian

7K budget? How about 1k!

For simply assembly, and a bit more, get this Black and Decker cordless. It runs on AA batteries. Take them out when it is not in use, in case of leakage.

Even if you get a drill, get this too. I've been screwing with a drill (for want of better words!) for decades, but it is not the ideal tool for the job. For stuff like assembly, it is just too heavy: something that feels more drill-like is much better.

Bosch make a smaller, smarter, posher one at three or four times the price of the B&D, but hey, built-in, non-replaceable battery.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 16:58   #2667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
7K budget? How about 1k!

For simply assembly, and a bit more, get this Black and Decker cordless. It runs on AA batteries. Take them out when it is not in use, in case of leakage.
Have been using this for the last 5+ years and still runs like a dream. Had an issue with the internal contacts getting a bit of corrosion(?), and hence stopped working. Opened, cleaned and gave it some white grease to the gears, and all good now.

Very convenient for assembly and disassembly. 4 AA battery and you are good to go.
HappyWheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 13:19   #2668
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Just get a Bosch 10mm drill. There are quite a few 10mm models, peruse the Bosh site and Amazon to find what is best for you.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
7K budget? How about 1k!

Tempted! One major irritation for me is to pay ~250 bucks as a masonry / concrete drill hiring charge every time the Boss Lady wants to move pictures around, and requires drilling into brick (mostly) and concrete (secondary, and only in the column/beam areas).

Can I buy a basic impact/hammer drill for that specific purpose AND a basic cordless screwdriver for IKEA stuff?

Concurrently, I am trying to source a Ni-Cd replacement battery for my dead B&D KC-4815 too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Have been using this for the last 5+ years and still runs like a dream.
Sounds promising!

Last edited by itwasntme : 14th July 2023 at 13:23.
Old 14th July 2023, 13:23   #2669
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks!

Tempted! One major irritation for me is to pay ~250 bucks as a masonry / concrete drill hiring charge every time the Boss Lady wants to move pictures around, and requires drilling. Can I buy a basic impact/hemmer drill for that specific purpose AND a basic cordless screwdriver for IKEA stuff?

Sounds promising!
Yes, better have separate tools for drilling and as a screwdriver. But for cordless screwdriver, dont go for the smaller ones as they would lack power. IKEA Fixa has many variants. The 7.2V or 14.4V variants are good but the 3.6V driver is rubbish. 7.2V variant doesnt screw in very tight especially into wood so you would need manual effort there but works for the rest of the purposes including drilling into wood. But the 14.4V variant has a two step adjustable gearing which will be much more handy.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 15:53   #2670
Distinguished - BHPian

It's no problem to finish the tightening by hand. Or to start the screw undoing by hand. Use a cheap electric to do the bulk of the work. I use them for those looong screws that hold switches/sockets to their baseplates.

I have a Bosch drill that has been mine for maybe more than thirty years. It looks pretty new because it doesn't get much use: I'm not big on DIY! But it is one of those things that every household should have. I have an amazing collection of bits for it too. Confession: I like collecting tools more than using them

But I also like having a tool when it's needed. And even my wife has appreciated this enough times not to mind my occasional buying sprees.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks