Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2023, 17:50   #2641
BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Lots of YouTubers about who will show how easy it is to use these things. But they don’t work particularly well for me.
Jeroen
I have a similar set and although I've had to only use them very few times, they are definitely finicky to use, but did get the job done in the end. I found that using the bigger size is more helpful even if it looks like the smaller one will get the job done.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 18:03   #2642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post

Regarding paralell shanks. As masonry requires less power than steel, bits of higher capacity are made with the lower portion that is 10mm to 12mm for the first 50mm or so and then full width for the rest. I have various diameter masonry bits - 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, 20mm diameter and 80mm to 300m long. The bits 12mm onwards have 10mm shank at te end and then full diameter later
All the bigger diameter bits that you have shown are SDS Plus bits and that was the point he was trying to make that these bits are used in Rotary hammer drills which will have a different chuck and hence can't be used to drill steel and wood.
However, having said that, my Hilti Rotary Hammer comes with an additional chuck as an attachment which allows the same drill to be used as a normal drill as well. Also nothing beats a bench drill for drilling into metals. Second closest is a cordless drill with gears which allows you to drill at lower RPMs.

Someone was asking on why you need a reverse mode on a drill and it is very useful if you want to make a clean hole. It also helps a lot if you want to get a stuck bit out of the hole, especially when working with metal where it is easy to break a bit if you apply too much torsional force, trying to free the bit. Also you can use these drills with thread cutters and that's where reverse mode is imperative to be used.
Old 31st January 2023, 19:02   #2643
BHPian

Good compilation if stuck in a bad spot:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CoC5H...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Don't know if Instagram post is allowed here.
@moderators, kindly remove is not permitted.
Old 2nd March 2023, 11:40   #2644
BANNED

Guys, can anyone suggest me a basic battery operated aka cordless drill machine. Just to do some routine house hold works. Budget is upto ₹8000, though would be happy if the price is on the lower side!
Old 2nd March 2023, 12:34   #2645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Guys, can anyone suggest me a basic battery operated aka cordless drill machine. Just to do some routine house hold works. Budget is upto ₹8000, though would be happy if the price is on the lower side!
Do a thorough survey on the battery power and duration of cordless tools. From what I have read, the batteries deteriorate quite fast (2-4 years). So if your use is light it would be better to invest in a corded drill with a high quality 10m+ extension cord
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 06:35   #2646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Do a thorough survey on the battery power and duration of cordless tools. From what I have read, the batteries deteriorate quite fast (2-4 years). So if your use is light it would be better to invest in a corded drill with a high quality 10m+ extension cord
Modern Lithium ion batteries are far better than what it used to be. More than absolute time, the number of charge cycles is a key factor. I have heard DeWalt batteries can do fine upto 600 charge cycles. One would have to useup the battery entirely almost everyday for years. Thats very unlikely for most people.

The real factors that affect life are things like monitoring the ambient temperature where the batteries are stored. And, not discharging the battery to 0% all the time. Charging the battery outside of nominal temperatures can also be very damaging. With a little bit of care, these batteries will last a very long time.

My first DeWalt batteries were bought in 2018, and I use them a lot. I have been switching most of my corded tools to cordless versions.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 3rd March 2023 at 06:37.
Old 3rd March 2023, 08:12   #2647
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
If you want to drill through walls/mansonary, then you need a drill with hammer mode.

This is the cheapest good quality one available
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B06XWVFPG4?...b-4625833d4d91

If you are going to use it occasionally, I suggest go with corded. Far cheaper and gets the job done.
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 18:53   #2648
BHPian

Picked up this Wera toolcheck plus and Hex plus L-key set

Working with those sleeved L-keys on winter days is so satisfying.

And the 1/4 inch bit ratchet is quite handy for those hard to reach places with my regular proxxon 3/4 inch ratchet. Also the rapidaptor bit holder comes in handy for those fast and centered fastening applications.

Tools for a DIYer-img_6650.jpg

Last edited by carthick1000 : 22nd March 2023 at 18:54.
carthick1000 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 00:48   #2649
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
Classy! I love the look of that Wera stuff, especially in those sets. Do tell how much it cost!

I bought a wireless screwdriver. But a relatively small one: Bosch Go (Gen 2). I bought the one with minimal accessories. It's Bosch Pro Blue --- but probably more of a workbench tool. This is certainly not made for the construction industry! The case is flimsy.

I got (yet another, ha ha) a set of bits. Unlike the last "Bosch-" branded set that I bought here, which was rubbish, this seems to be an international product, and the case is sturdy.

First use: replacing the screws of a kitchen-cabinet door. I filled the stripped-out holes in the wood with cotton wool, hardened with super glue. A bit too hard! This took more than minimum torque on the screwdriver. About 50% was fine.

I have a low-cost 4-AA-battery driver, which is great for taking up the length of the screw, but not for tightening. The Bosch is a superior tool.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 02:27   #2650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Do tell how much it cost!
Picked it up while I visited Germany last week. About 55€ for the tool check plus and 22€ for Hex plus L-keys.

Bosch pro is pretty good VFM. Not sure why they skimp on storage boxes. May be their research showed that most pro users have their own tool holders for small hand tools and that’s why the boxes are made flimsy. The bigger hand tools (like wired heavy duty drills) have very sturdy cases. I have one from 8 yrs ago and it has a solid case.

I have all my garden tools from Bosch (the normal ones but not pro versions). They have this 18V alliance which is handy, where you can use multiple tools with the same battery. I have like 3 tools per 1 battery 😉.
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 16:07   #2651
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
Picked it up while I visited Germany last week. About 55€ for the tool check
Very good, thought it might be more! Rs.7,999 at Amazon.in. Not unusual for an import to double in price.

But international pricing is odd. My screwdriver is actually slightly more expensive at Amazon.co.uk than it is here! I guess Bosch have an actual presence here in India, rather than items being imported by piece.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 17:11   #2652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First use: replacing the screws of a kitchen-cabinet door. I filled the stripped-out holes in the wood with cotton wool, hardened with super glue. A bit too hard!
Try filling the holes with a toothpick and fevicol. My fix has been holding up well.

Quote:
Very good, thought it might be more! Rs.7,999 at Amazon.in. Not unusual for an import to double in price.
Found it cheaper at 6999 https://www.amazon.in/Wera-050564900...dp/B00I8MYMT2/
Jaguar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 20:57   #2653
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Try filling the holes with a toothpick and fevicol. My fix has been holding up well.
That would certainly work, but it would take time to set. Superglue options are almost instantaneous. Sometimes it is enough just to put matchstick(s)/toothpick(s) in the hole.

I was keen to try the cotton-wool. I've used super-glue+sodium-bicarbonate in repairs, but hadn't yet tried cotton wool. Yes, it sets fast and hard.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 12:43   #2654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a low-cost 4-AA-battery driver, which is great for taking up the length of the screw, but not for tightening. The Bosch is a superior tool.
Here is what I found to be the best.

Use sawdust mixed with glue or epoxy (depending on the size and load). When filling the hole use a tooth pick to get rid of voids by vibrating it a bit.

For filling holes in metal I use Epoxy with metal dust. You can also rebuid surface and edges with this mix and machine it for finishing.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 11:49   #2655
BHPian

Could anybody please suggest me all in one tool kit with drill machine for home use? I have literally very few tools and I am thinking to start to do it by myself and learn over the time. I read the forum and I could see many suggested Bosch GSB 13 professional kit but that was in 2016. Hence, looking for suggestions and guidance. Thanks!
Piyush_DT is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks