Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2023, 00:04   #2611
BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Could someone direct me to the right place where I can find connectors and wiring for diy accessory fitment in cars?
Old 6th January 2023, 10:24   #2612
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoaTMoN View Post
Could someone direct me to the right place where I can find connectors and wiring for diy accessory fitment in cars?
You should search based on the exact component you need. You can get the generic components easily in Amazon itself or if you need vehicle specific stuff you can check boodmo. If you elaborate on what exactly you need then it will be clear.
Old 6th January 2023, 11:16   #2613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
You should search based on the exact component you need. You can get the generic components easily in Amazon itself or if you need vehicle specific stuff you can check boodmo. If you elaborate on what exactly you need then it will be clear.
For now, I'm looking for the connector attached to this post. I want to do the wirings without cutting wires as much as possible. Most of my accessories will involve 2 pins. I asked the service center, but they said they don't have connectors separately. Since I do not know their names, I'm unable to look for the right connectors.
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-20230105_143222.jpg  

Old 6th January 2023, 11:27   #2614
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For now, I'm looking for the connector attached to this post. I want to do the wirings without cutting wires as much as possible. Most of my accessories will involve 2 pins. I asked the service center, but they said they don't have connectors separately. Since I do not know their names, I'm unable to look for the right connectors.
This looks to be vehicle specific. So you can try checking on Boodmo if this is available as a spare(Generally VW sells even individual connectors as spares) or otherwise just purchase the harness which contains this connectors if its like a Maruti where the cost of these parts is dirt cheap.
Old 6th January 2023, 12:23   #2615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedirah View Post
Please suggest the correct tool for this clamp. The opening between the legs is 80 mm.
You probably need a wide jaw angling pliers to handle this clamp. May be this will help ? https://in.rsdelivers.com/product/rs...mc=IN-PLA-DS3A

Or search for wide jaw pliers in a tool shop.
Old 6th January 2023, 12:49   #2616
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Sorry I can’t help you with where to get these in India. But with these connectors it is very likely you will be needing a special crimping tool. Not the usual simple one. You might need something like this:

Tools for a DIYer-screenshot-20230106-8.15.10-am.png

You can see the connectors and the pins more clearly here:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ml#post4519276

If you can’t get the pins/pliers look for a ready made cable/connector assembly. Otherwise your only option will be cutting and splicing.

Good luck

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 08:17   #2617
BHPian

What's a good brand for torque wrench and a ratchet set? I've used a couple of Stanley tools but it's a hit or miss with them.

Also I'm trying to compare the Bosch drilling kit to the Stanley's. Bosch seems to be well regarded, but Stanley is cheap. Is the Stanley drill kit any good?

Last edited by vedirah : 7th January 2023 at 08:21.
Old 7th January 2023, 14:13   #2618
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What's a good brand for torque wrench and a ratchet set?
Many here speak highly of Taparia, and, in my small experience, I'd agree. Indian-made

Stanley is just an English-name label on Chinese stuff these days. That does not mean it is all bad. Some of it is just fine. There are fakes, though. I returned a set of "Stanley" punches to Amazon: they were not properly hardened, let alone tempered.

Quote:
Also I'm trying to compare the Bosch drilling kit to the Stanley's. Bosch seems to be well regarded, but Stanley is cheap. Is the Stanley drill kit any good?
Honestly, I not know if this just branding bias on my part, but I would definitely go with Bosch.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 17:43   #2619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What's a good brand for torque wrench and a ratchet set? I've used a couple of Stanley tools but it's a hit or miss with them.

Taparia and Everest (when available) are professional grade sockets and ratchets, made of chrome vanadium steel.

No idea of torque wrench, but taparia has a wide range. You have to know what torque range you need.

Stanley is mostly Chinese made mediocre quality stuff, hence it is cheap. I think that Bosch also sources their hand tools from China

Bosch drills are quite good, better than Stanley. I have two Bosch 10mm drils.

Bosch, Stanley and other drill machines normally sold are for home use only. They will overheat and burn if used continuosly. For heavy duty use go for professional quality drill machine - they are adverstised as such and are two to three times more expensive.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 20:17   #2620
BHPian

In my experience, I would say Taparia tools are of okay quality . I mean I have had better experience with Freemans tools and they are better and cheaper . Use Taparia tools if you have nothing else available .

In case of Power tool accessories like drill bits , jigsaw blades , cut off disc etc , Bosch is the best and safe bet . By safe I mean I don't want to put a cheap cut off disc on my angle grinder which spins at 11,000 rpm , and then have the disc explode in my face .

As for power tools themselves , it better to use a power tool designed for the task rather than run after brands . For example an Indian branded Chinese made 26mm hammer drill will out perform and outlast a Bosch GMB 13RE ( or any other similar models from Dewalt or Stanley ) any day of the week when it comes to drilling in concrete .

Also power tools like the GMB 13RE which have two drilling speeds of low (1500 rpm) and high (2600 rpm) are only good for drilling in wood and plastic . They are a huge disappointment when it comes to drilling in concrete or steel .
SB08121980 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 01:10   #2621
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post

Bosch, Stanley and other drill machines normally sold are for home use only. They will overheat and burn if used continuosly. For heavy duty use go for professional quality drill machine - they are adverstised as such and are two to three times more expensive.
I am not sure about Bosch in India, but here we have two different lines from Bosch. One for your typical home owner DIY work, these are green and a professional line. I have got some of both lines. Wel equipped DIY stores will sell both in their stores and online. The blue line is considerable more expensive the green line.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 09:24   #2622
BHPian

Quote:
My tool shed is filled with DeWalt stuff. Just because I like the yellow and black colors

Stanley, Black & Decker, Craftsman, DeWalt, Irwin, Porter & Cable and many more brands are all from the same company- Stanley Black& Decker. Better to look at the specs, and reviews of the model that you are considering. I buy the tools that meet my spec. That said, once you buy into a brand, you stick to it as batteries can be interchangeable within the family. Like DeWalt XR family of cordless tools. I use a drill, driver, circular saw, sander, jigsaw, all on the same batteries. In the US I only see the blue Bosch tools and they are twice/thrice holiday prices for DeWalt.

But for tool bits, blades, and such disposable items i try to buy the best. Mostly Freud and Diablo. These 2 brands are owned by Bosch. Make sure you buy high quality tool bits, and take care of the bits.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 09:50   #2623
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

For ratchet sets - Taparia, Yato, Induro. All of them are good. Go for Hex sockets and not bi-hex sockets.

For drill, Bosch anyday
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 10:47   #2624
Senior - BHPian

I bought my first drill around 1972. It was Rallis Wolf 13mm. At that time only professional grade drills were available in India. This drill has been with me eversince. It is extremely powerful and goes through steel and concrete easily.
Tools for a DIYer-jsc_8047.jpg
https://ralliwolf.com/drills.html

Now for nomenclature
. The 10mm, 13mm or 25mm are for the diameter than can be used for drilling steel.
. The 10mm for steel can easily drill upto 30mm in concrete and wood.

The rallis drills are classified as light duty and heavy duy. Heavy duty are for prolonged use as in construction sites and workshops, while light duty are for occational home use.
Aroy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 17:48   #2625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The 10mm for steel can easily drill upto 30mm in concrete and wood.
I don't understand.

Are you implying that a drill machine which can drill a 10mm hole in, say, regular hot rolled MS ( mild steel ), can easily drill a 30mm hole in concrete or wood?

If Yes, what type of drill bits are we talking about?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks