Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2018, 20:37   #1831
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Awaiting these details Sir. Can you please list out the tools that you plan to use for the brake job?!
Ok here's a list of the things I'll be using:

1) 21 piece caliper push back tool. This is a must for the rear caliper piston as it needs to be turned and pushed back into the caliper..both simultaneously. The front calipers can be pushed back with a clamp or the special tool which ever works better. I bet the special tool does a better job

2) 6" and 9" jaw Taparia C clamp, just in case

3) 13/14 mm open ended spanners or box wrenches

4) Permatex copper anti seize compound

5) Permatex ceramic brake lube

6) 50 ml syringe to remove excess brake fluid from MC reservoir

7) 5/16" (8 mm) clear plastic hose for the bleeder kit (if required)

8) 700 ml plastic cold drink bottle for bleeding, cleaned and air dried.

9) 1 litre Bosch (or Toyota) DOT 3 brake fluid. I do not mix DOT 4 and DOT 3 though they are miscible. They have different boiling pt. characteristics. Upgrading to DOT 4 would necessitate a full flush, difficult without the special service tool (SST). Don't mess with the ABS is what I say. It is VERY expensive to replace and changing this part isn't really a DIY without that SST.

10) 2 x torque wrenches, for the caliper pin and carrier bolts, 2nd wrench for the wheel nuts. Torquing to correct specs is important if you don't want warped rotors or parts coming loose.

11) Box/socket wrench set

12) STP brake cleaner

13) Plenty of rags

14) F & R brake pads (details in earlier post)

15) F & R brake rotors (details in earlier post), given the price of aftermarket OEM quality parts I'd say replace the rotors don't resurface them.

16) Pliers

17) Loctite thread locker fluid (if required)

18) Wood block or similar to place under the brake pedal if we choose to bleed the brakes. When bleeding the system do not depress the brake all the way to the floor, the MC cylinder piston travels only a fraction of the total cylinder bore in normal use, depressing it beyond its standard travel distance may cause the seals to get damaged. This is primarily for old cars, a brand new MC will not have this issue.

19) Zip ties or old hangers to support the caliper when changing the rotors and pads. Never hang it by the brake hose.

I will try and take pics but since this is a DIY (except where my back protests) I may have greasy/dirty hands that preclude handling my mobile phone.

Last edited by R2D2 : 18th April 2018 at 20:58. Reason: typos and additions
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2018, 10:26   #1832
NH7
BHPian

Very comprehensive kit and knowledge for the job, I must say. Good on you R2D2.
Are brake pad wear sensors not fitted?? You may want check first, and save yourself a repeat job. A rubber mallet, some WD40 and sandpaper/ power brush would also be required to remove the old rotors, and prep the hub, no?
Extra caution when doing the rear, parking brake is out consideration, so please stay safe and ensure you have multiple jacks/ pedestal stands and chocks. I had a near miss on this one, for my stupidity.
Please feedback on the permatex high temperature anti seize, I have only used copaslip in the past, and would appreciate more info.
Old 22nd April 2018, 10:55   #1833
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH7 View Post
Very comprehensive kit and knowledge for the job, I must say. Good on you R2D2.
Thanks NH7

Quote:
Are brake pad wear sensors not fitted?? You may want check first, and save yourself a repeat job. A rubber mallet, some WD40 and sandpaper/ power brush would also be required to remove the old rotors, and prep the hub, no?
Few things I missed listing in the earlier post:

a) Metal wire brushes, small and medium size to remove rust if any from the hubs.
b) Some emery paper for the same purpose.
c) 6 mm ID clear plastic pipe/hose in addition to the 8 mm one listed below. I am not sure what size the bleeder nipples are hence the 2 sizes. I think one of them should definitely fit.

Quote:
Extra caution when doing the rear, parking brake is out consideration, so please stay safe and ensure you have multiple jacks/ pedestal stands and chocks. I had a near miss on this one, for my stupidity.
The car will be lifted on a 4 point electrically operated hoist the kind you find in service centres and garages for e.g here: my car on a hoist at Toyota's Hubli KA dealership

There's no way I'd attempt this without ensuring safety. Thanks for sharing your experience. Carelessness can result in serious injury or death. You don't stand a chance if a vehicle comes down on you from even 6-12" above the ground.

Jack stands are my 2nd choice but I didn't buy them since I know this FNG who has a car hoist which when operated properly (I stress on the words "when operated properly") is the safest and most flexible since one can raise/lower height as per requirement.

Quote:
Please feedback on the permatex high temperature anti seize, I have only used copaslip in the past, and would appreciate more info.
This is some of the best lube you can buy. Permatex products (ceramic and copper) are well known but I will be using the ceramic grease only if necessary on the slide pins.

Toyota does not recommend using any lubricant on the brake pad hardware (clips) or on the back side of pads for this particular model.

Other products to consider are Sil Glyde and 3M silicone grease. Some car owners prefer these 2 products over Permatex. I also have the 3M product on order.

Last edited by R2D2 : 22nd April 2018 at 11:06. Reason: additions
Old 10th May 2018, 20:52   #1834
Distinguished - BHPian

Any suggestions for a good large but portable tool box for home and automotive use? I was looking at the taparia 22.
Old 11th May 2018, 12:02   #1835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Any suggestions for a good large but portable tool box for home and automotive use?.
I purchased two large ones from the tools market in Chennai. Cost me 800 each and are Stanley lookalikes. They are 22" in size and were Chinese imports. Very sturdy and have a tray and compartments on top. I believe the online prices for these boxes are quite inflated. I also picked up a 16 from the US on my last trip for 10$. You will be better suited to buy the model with two locks on the lid.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 12:05   #1836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I purchased two large ones from the tools market in Chennai. Cost me 800 each and are Stanley lookalikes. They are 22" in size and were Chinese imports. Very sturdy and have a tray and compartments on top. I believe the online prices for these boxes are quite inflated. I also picked up a 16 from the US on my last trip for 10$. You will be better suited to buy the model with two locks on the lid.
Could you give more info on where you bought it from? Pics of the same would help as well.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11th May 2018, 13:15   #1837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Could you give more info on where you bought it from? Pics of the same would help as well.
If you are Chennai based can give you directions in PM, don't know the shop name. Here are the pics. Two are 22" and one from US is 18".
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-1526024635871.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-1526024647899.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-1526024666737.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-1526024681604.jpg  

diyguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 13:18   #1838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
If you are Chennai based can give you directions in PM, don't know the shop name. Here are the pics. Two are 22" and one from US is 18".
Thanks for the pictures. Yes, I live in Chennai. You may PM me.
Old 11th May 2018, 16:57   #1839
Distinguished - BHPian

Please, guys, tell us all!

"Tools market," diyguy. Are you talking about Parry's? There is a concentration of tool shops on and around Broadway.
Old 11th May 2018, 17:06   #1840
Distinguished - BHPian

I will be heading to Goodwill store at SJP Road this Saturday to take a look at the boxes they might have. Any suggestions on other shops to drop into?
Old 11th May 2018, 17:09   #1841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
There is a concentration of tool shops on and around Broadway.
Spot on Thad, this is in Broadway and there are many shops that get me all misty eyes . I forgot the name of the shop that I picked up the tool boxes but it had 'engineering' in it and it located at this spot. https://goo.gl/maps/XzPt1Q42VUx

I also purchased an air blower for leaf blowing from a shop slightly ahead of this on the opposite side.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2018, 00:34   #1842
BHPian

I was looking for joint connector bolts and their connector nuts, used for furniture fastening and visited atleast 20 hardware stores in Annanagar, aminijikarai and finally the timber market in vepery. Couldn't find them anywhere. Some of my chairs have gotten loose and they require such fittings to remain concealed.
The last two pictures are from my chairs. Any idea where to source them? May check in Broadway but seriously surprising that they are not available anywhere else.
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-1526151684585.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-1526151692495.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-1526151701982.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-1526151710772.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-1526151718090.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-1526151732364.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-1526151803136.jpg  

Old 13th May 2018, 02:08   #1843
Distinguished - BHPian

You might have travelled less if you had gone straight to Georgetown! My hunch would be to start in and arround Devaraja Mudali Street.

There are some hardware shops in/near Kutchery Road in Mylapore that might be worth checking out if you happen to be there, and, I don't know it, but I came across this place in San Thome online: Hardware Corner.
Old 13th May 2018, 13:29   #1844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Devaraja Mudali Street
This is usually my last option as I need to go here only on a two wheeler. Other places it is still possible to take a car. I head to the US on the 16th and will try and check in a home depot there, failing that I will have to visit Broadway. I plan to bring back a RO from the US and that is going to be my next DIY project along with a locally procured softener.
Old 13th May 2018, 22:41   #1845
Distinguished - BHPian

I drove around Parry's a couple of times a decade ago. It was pretty-much a nightmare. Then, for a while, it was possible to park within reasonable distance. Now, my rare visits are by auto.

Most Viewed