Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2010, 11:25   #241
BHPian

Below method which we used to follow for removing rusted bolts from water pump sets.

Method 1: make some Z shaped from 6 mm iron rod sizing enough to be rotated. (fitting into 6 inch edges of square was enough). Weld one end to bolt in direction of bolt and unscrew it.

Method 2: If method 1 fails and bolt is larger diameter (~5mm or more) then punch mark it in the center of bolt head from top. Drill hole (smaller than bolts diameter) into it and use some threading tool to clear up threads.

Both methods destroy bolts.

Last edited by omishra : 4th August 2010 at 11:27.
Old 4th August 2010, 14:51   #242
Senior - BHPian

@Omishra, both the methods you mentioned are very difficult/impractical for home/DIY purpose which aargee is looking for.
Old 4th August 2010, 15:15   #243
Senior - BHPian

@Jaguar - I felt the same, but then I was not too sure.
See this pic on the calipers; I've issues removing the screw at the top. This is just one requirement, apart from this, there might be several such instances in future. For screws, I don't have any issues as I have motorized screw driver as well as impact driver.
Old 4th August 2010, 15:56   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Googling bolt remover has interesting results. Once you get to You Tube there is all sorts of interesting stuff. I'd never realised exactly how the bolt removers are used.

One place I worked in, many years back, had a broken bolt remover which worked by applying an electric spark to the centre of the bolt, which, slowly, slowly, slowly burnt the bolt away. If the bolt is made of steel that is too hard to drill, this is about all you can do!
Old 4th August 2010, 18:17   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
See this pic on the calipers; I've issues removing the screw at the top. This is just one requirement,
If its just one off case, why don't you get it done from your local mech? Now let me run from the DIY section
Old 4th August 2010, 21:46   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... this one? ...
Yes, that's the one.

As for a tool, one need not keep a tool for every eventuality that happens. Beyond prevention, it is ingenuity and common sense, coupled with some common tools, that gets one out of sticky situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
@Omishra, both the methods you mentioned are very difficult/impractical for home/DIY purpose which aargee is looking for.
On the contrary, these are *very* practical methods, and use commonly available materials to do the job. The second method is the safest, as it will not spoil the thread where the bolt was stuck. The bolt, as Mishra-ji said, is dispensable. The threaded part may not be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
... broken bolt remover which worked by applying an electric spark to the centre of the bolt, which, slowly, slowly, slowly burnt the bolt away. ...
Spark Erosion machine. Works exactly the reverse of welding, i.e. removes material instead of depositing. Had used one a long time back. Not economical for home use.

Last edited by DerAlte : 4th August 2010 at 21:51.
Old 5th August 2010, 01:49   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
On the contrary, these are *very* practical methods, and use commonly available materials to do the job. The second method is the safest, as it will not spoil the thread where the bolt was stuck. The bolt, as Mishra-ji said, is dispensable. The threaded part may not be!
Practical as in home use? I mean is it economically viable to have a welding machine at home in the Indian context?
Old 5th August 2010, 09:27   #248
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
Does anyone know of a place in Pune where I can buy some good car tools?
Hello, visit following places

1) Boahree aali ( lane ) off Laxmi Road (Sonya maruti chowk )
2) Shops near Satranjiwala chowk , Same area but at Laxmi road ( Bombay tools, Pardawala recomended)
3) shops at Nana peth, Near Chacha halwai chowk ( Laxmi road ) (Pardawala recomended.)

Normally all the hardware keepers have hand tools.

Note. You will need to search/browse for quality & rates . Keep your eyes open . You may get cheaper tools but they break/get damaged during work thus stop the work & finally you endup spending more.

I would have recomended you the Juna Bazar , but if you have an eye for right quality & knowledge about current rates of equvalent new tool then only venture there .

Yours Sudarshan
Warning collecting tools may create Trouble in Family
Old 5th August 2010, 10:09   #249
BHPian

Quote:
@
See this pic on the calipers; I've issues removing the screw at the top.
Which screws you are talking about? Those on brake disks? Are these hexagonal Ellen key members?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Practical as in home use? I mean is it economically viable to have a welding machine at home in the Indian context?
OMG! I am not telling to buy a welding machine. These situations are once in a long time and in worst case you land there. For method 1 - I carry the part with adamant bolt to nearest welding shop. For method 2 - I am having own slow speed drill with HQ SS beats. I borrow Threading tool from plumber friend.

Last edited by omishra : 5th August 2010 at 10:10.
Old 5th August 2010, 10:09   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post

2) Shops near Satranjiwala chowk , Same area but at Laxmi road ( Bombay tools, Pardawala recomended)
3) shops at Nana peth, Near Chacha halwai chowk ( Laxmi road ) (Pardawala recomended.)

Note. You will need to search/browse for quality & rates . Keep your eyes open . You may get cheaper tools but they break/get damaged during work thus stop the work & finally you endup spending more.

I would have recomended you the Juna Bazar , but if you have an eye for right quality & knowledge about current rates of equvalent new tool then only venture there .

Yours Sudarshan

100% true, my wife always complains that am spending lot of money on tools. But at the same time she wants to get the things repaired at kitchen on the spot.
Old 5th August 2010, 10:37   #251
BANNED

What happens when you are lucky

Hello, All

1) photo 1 & 2 I got this Jack 9 years back from a scrap dealer @ 3500 Rs. This thing can lift upto 20" can lift the landy from one side very easily
2) Photo 3 I got this frame used to lift engines in a garage 11 years back for a mere 950 Rs. ( the owner had closed the business then & gave it to me in good faith when I told him that I am an enthusiast. It was hard to convince him )

Yours Sudarshan
Note : Dont try this at home ( or get kicked out )
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-scan0002.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-scan0003.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-scan0001.jpg  

Last edited by Sudarshan : 5th August 2010 at 10:43.
Old 5th August 2010, 10:39   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan
Normally all the hardware keepers have hand tools
My need is much beyond this; tell me do you get these jacks at hardware shop? No right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan
Wrong; you also need to take care of other stuffs required by family members such as dinner, outing, shopping, jewels & so on

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra
Which screws you are talking about? Those on brake disks? Are these hexagonal Ellen key members?
Right; this one has allen keys, but, mine has a small bolt of 8mm that I'm unable to open.

Last edited by aargee : 5th August 2010 at 10:40.
Old 5th August 2010, 10:50   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post

Yours Sudarshan
Bohri Aali (or close by) also has a nice Stanley shop. Stanley tools are pretty good, they also make nice tool kits. Its just amazing, I often drool on the stuff there.. It reminds me of the hardware shops in gulf. Spending a lazy saturday afternoon at bohri aali is fun!

Sudarshan, thats an awesome pulley you've got there. But what do you use it for, in cars apart from pulling out the engine I dont see any other use of it..!

Last edited by cyclops : 5th August 2010 at 10:51.
Old 5th August 2010, 11:22   #254
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post

Sudarshan, thats an awesome pulley you've got there. But what do you use it for, in cars apart from pulling out the engine I dont see any other use of it..!
Ahh, you must have met my family members , They ask such Questions

Dont ask the Use man Its a COLLECTION ( like Vintage cars )

Anyways apart from lifting engines it is put to use for handeling materials as I work alone it is very handy to pickup heavy parts etc . As you see in the above picture I had removed the top rack off a Land Rover only by myself ( No one other person there ) . Things like this are possible only if you have equipment.

Also Recently I have purchased an Industrial sewing machine it can sew up to 6 mm of thickness of leather canvas etc.(called as leather sewing machine) I have made haversacks also .

Adding few pictures, of what I have done with it
1) a toolkit
2) cargo hold ( using old seat belts )
3) a cover in Land Rovers cabin

Have a look

Yours Sudarshan
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-scan0004.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-scan0010.jpg  

Tools for a DIYer-scan0006.jpg  

Last edited by Sudarshan : 5th August 2010 at 11:25.
Old 5th August 2010, 11:30   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
Scandal in the tool shop! Allen Key turns transsexual

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks