Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2020, 01:11   #196
BHPian

Re: Could Tesla launch in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I am not 100% sure about full fledged R&D too. At best it might be a bit of R&D and whole lot of back office operations.
I don't belive Tesla have that many back office jobs to outsource. They are into more and more automation and does not need offshoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The government of Maharashtra is in talks with Tesla for potential investment in the state.

Last month, it was reported that discussions had taken place between the government of Karnataka and Tesla to set up a research centre in Bangalore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
MH Government is on a PR drive, hence its best to hold your horses.
The efforts this time appears more than just PR because of competition with other serious states and the need for economical push.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
Coming to the Indian factory, I don't think it's feasible for Tesla to set up a factory in India targeting mainly the Indian market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I am not sure how he can build a huge factory when he has one next door in China
Lot of water has flown below the bridge since 2 years.

West and few other countries don't want China as single point of business failure amid geopolitical tension. Many has started moving out or at least started creating a backup unit elsewhere with comparable cost. Tesla could have been following the latter as they can't exit lucrative China.

Then Tesla was always at forefront of innovation than following other's footprints. They have gave the glamour to an electric vehicle on which Kona, ZS, Nexon electric are riding on. Belive me, they are selling few times more than they were supposed to be selling when announced. Is it that hard for Tesla to sell 3000-4000 copies a month in India? After a factory setup and building few superchargers on expressways, they can comfortably sell 10,000 a year. They WILL drastically increase the electric car market than getting a share of it. Rest of the capacity can be used to export to other countries. They have a business case. A smaller hatch for developing countries can also join the range to double the sale. Don't also forget the brand followings.

The real problems are elsewhere.

Land availability - I don't recall a smooth land purchase by a major manufacturer recently in Maharashtra. KA, GJ, TN could pull that rabbit out of the magician's hat though.

Labour unions - Tesla manufacturing is completely different business. Traditional blue collar jobs does not exists or hardly exists. Any state or their local leaders would expect it to generate local employment which Tesla may not produce that much.

Resistance by fossil fuel industry - Tata, Hyundai, MG, M&M have benefits to their products should Tesla setup electric ecosystem. They may try to assist in a passive way, if at all have to. Will MSIL remain passive? No way. They control half of the passenger car market and the most influential in the sector.

Dealers - So many jobs are involved with dealerships and their service centers. FADA would not be happy.

Question - If Tesla enters Indian market, will it join SIAM? If yes, SIAM publishes dealer dispatches instead of retail sales. Will they publish retail sales of Tesla?
Capricorn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 05:05   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricorn View Post
I don't belive Tesla have that many back office jobs to outsource. They are into more and more automation and does not need offshoring.
The more cars they sell, the more cars they launch, the more infrastructure/processes they need to serve the end customer. The systems in question will need updates and maintenance and perhaps English call center operations too.

Quote:
Lot of water has flown below the bridge since 2 years.

West and few other countries don't want China as single point of business failure amid geopolitical tension. Many has started moving out or at least started creating a backup unit elsewhere with comparable cost. Tesla could have been following the latter as they can't exit lucrative China.
The politics of it all notwithstanding, the biggest difference is that China is not just a cheap manufacturing sweat shop anymore, its a massive market for these products as well and in some ways even bigger market than USA. Tesla is already selling more than 10k cars in China every month with just the Model 3 and with capacity still ramping up. The geopolitical tensions with USA and therefore the rest of the west is not exactly a military conflict but an economic one. China's economy is still growing by the way.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 05:59   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just heard from the man himself. Apparently Tesla isnt using any off the shelf enterprise software for their CRM or inventory management or servicing. Everything is in house and therefore it makes all the more sense to have the back office work done for cheaper.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 13:28   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Just heard from the man himself. Apparently Tesla isnt using any off the shelf enterprise software for their CRM or inventory management or servicing. Everything is in house and therefore it makes all the more sense to have the back office work done for cheaper.
Thank you very much extreme_torque. I stand corrected on my speculation. My context is primarily on automobile manufacturing process though that helps build engineeering capabilities and the ancialiary industry of the sector.

If Tesla decides to open an offshore customer voice support center in India, I would not like to call it as their presence.
Old 27th October 2020, 21:27   #200
BHPian

Not sure how relevant, I saw a Tesla today at One BKC building in Mumbai. Could not take a picture but took down its number to check on vahan, and here is what I found:
This is a Tesla Model X, registered in Pimpri Chinchwad (odd?)

The owner's name is weird. Could it be that this is a test vehicle imported by Tesla or one of its associate companies and therefore the such a name?

Could Tesla launch in India?-picture1.png
aashishnb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 22:02   #201
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashishnb View Post
Not sure how relevant, I saw a Tesla today at One BKC building in Mumbai. Could not take a picture but took down its number to check on vahan, and here is what I found:
This is a Tesla Model X, registered in Pimpri Chinchwad (odd?)

The owner's name is weird. Could it be that this is a test vehicle imported by Tesla or one of its associate companies and therefore the such a name?

Attachment 2072750
Registered to Indo-global software. Dug further to find that they are actually builders.
Old 12th January 2021, 21:21   #202
Senior - BHPian

Tesla Incorporated in Bengaluru.:

https://www.cnbctv18.com/auto/tesla-...W527SqAY9JDOIw
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2024, 10:09   #203
BHPian

Is this true, any X/tweet from Tesla’s head ? I thought they were going to put in some serious money in Indian market or there is some last minute change in plans.

Quote:
Tesla CEO Elon Musk is likely to postpone his visit to India, say multiple sources familiar with the visit. Musk was supposed to visit India for two days — April 21 & 22 — to meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi and announce plans to enter the India market.
https://www.cnbctv18.com/business/te...399506.htm/amp

Last edited by NomadSK : 20th April 2024 at 10:10.
Old 20th April 2024, 11:37   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
Is this true, any X/tweet from Tesla’s head ?--
Yes, it is true:( with some lame excuse)

Could Tesla launch in India?-glls0ikamaa24l5.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th April 2024 at 11:59.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks