Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2019, 04:34   #16
BHPian

Re: Setting up an Electric Vehicle charging point at home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
Any guidance with photograhs from anyone who has already set up a charging point at home in India would be really helpful.
I happened to come across this website, with lots of pictures of residential projects in Bengaluru. They also have a FAQ section.
https://www.ecosoch.com/work/

"Really thick cables" is a very generic term. Depending on the fuse/breakers you use and the max amperage you install and draw, you will need to have adequate cables. Going overboard is expensive as copper is expensive. As you are dealing with high voltages and lot of amps, you cannot cut corners either. So, no experimentation.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 18th December 2019 at 04:58.
Old 18th December 2019, 19:58   #17
BHPian

As an afterthought, you may also want to make provision for a wifi AP / router to help with connected vehicle technologies.

There are also some videos available on YouTube which you can refer for "future proofing your home / office". You do get some good knowledge.

Since every individual situation is unique, you will need to make a decision. Gathering this information from various sources will help you make informed decisions.
Old 19th December 2019, 19:19   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I would suggest get the cabling from meter or distribution box to parking spot done right away but don't think of installing a charger till you buy an EV.

As everyone before me said each manufacturer/car will have its own charging standard, although all EVs to this point (Kona, eZS, Nexon, Altroz) have already decided to go with EU standard (Combined Charging System aka CCS).

For cabling, I would suggest 11kW capacity. This is just based on my personal experience with previously owning a Tesla Model S. I had a installed capacity of 9.6kW (240V * 40A), and it was enough to charge my 85KWh battery overnight (85 kwh/9.6kw = ~9h). 11kW capacity should be enough to charge a 100kWh model X in 9 hours. So any other regular cars with less than 70kwh capacity should not take more than 6/7 hours. For reference, Kona has about 40kwh capacity; and eZS & Nexon will have about 40kwh & 30kwh capacity respectively. So ideally we are looking at 4 hours charging at max.

just ask your electrician to run wiring for 11kW 3-phase water pump. He would know what wiring, mcb etc to use. You can use this handy calculator - https://polycab.com/electric-calculator/ to know about wire size, mcb etc. Just ask your electrician to wire for 3 pole + neutral + ground, so basically a 5 core cable.

edit: Most manufacturers will supply you with 240V 10A home charger which will slow charge the car in about 15-24 hours. I would think there will lot of purchase options for higher capacity chargers from car manufacturers as well as third party.

Attachment 1946294
Yes. This is exactly that you want. Please do not go with just a 15 Amp connection. It will not suffice. You will barely be able to get around 2-5km/hr charging rate. The connection that you get normally for homes is approx 4kW connection. (ex an apartment in Pune). Should be a little higher for bunglow. And homes generally do not get 3-phase connection. Which means you will also have put in a special request at the electricity department for a higher load connection. Also asking for a 3-phase connection at domestic rates will be very tricky.

So let's assume that in your state, bunglows normally get a 10kw connection by default. You will need a 10+11kw connection. Also when you ask your electrician to setup a 11kW 3-phase connection, he will also ask what is the intended amps that is expected to be drawn. Just ask for 40 amps, it should be enough. You should be able to get anywhere between 46-64 km/hr charging rate.(And if you need to go lower, set the limit option in the car). Thus you will be able to charge your car overnight and will help charge multiple cars on alternate nights with just one socket connection.
frewper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 17:02   #19
BHPian

I just did the basic wiring for my kona fast charger. Used 10 sq mm wiring culminating in a 40 amp breaker. However, my earthing isn’t upto the mark so i will need to address that issue before Hyundai is willing to move any further. Having a new 6 foot copper pole dropped to address this.
reihem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 19:50   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
Any guidance with photograhs from anyone who has already set up a charging point at home in India would be really helpful.
There are several pictures posted recently on the Kona review section.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...-review-9.html

I hope you find these useful. Advice provided in the preceding posts are an accurate reflection of the process. My house has a 5KW domestic connection and using the level 2 charger was causing lots of tripping and malfunction.

I have got an additional 3phase connection with a sanctioned load of 8Kw under the LT-6(c) scheme of BESCOM - that is for EV charging stations and this works fine. It allows a draw of upto 40 amps. In Bangalore, the BESCOM guys are slowly getting used to these applications and installations and it should not be too difficult to get this done.
docsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 12:56   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Team,

Am doing up the driveways and setting up a couple of EV chargers on both sides. I want to make them future-proof.

What would be the best practices now?

• 3 phase line for power?

• 15 / 16 ampere socket?

• Should be thick low gauge wire (10 gauge???).

• Different ELCB for it.

Anything else? This will be a one-time install for the next 20 - 30 years. Thanks!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 13:41   #22
BHPian

Most EV AC chargers (Delta etc) are single phase.

In my installation a 40A ELCB is put after the meter and a 40A MCB just before the charger. The cable used in 10mm three core. The distance is about 40 meters. As the charger is about 72 KW, I think the cable has to be 40A capable. I think 8mm copper (to minimise losses) is a goo start. 10mm or larger if the distance is 20 to 50m.
flanker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 14:26   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Team,

Am doing up the driveways and setting up a couple of EV chargers on both sides. I want to make them future-proof.

• 15 / 16 ampere socket?

• Different ELCB for it.

Anything else? This will be a one-time install for the next 20 - 30 years. Thanks!

Hi ..

-Yes .. 3 phase is mandatory

-You can have an additional 15amps socket. I have one fitted next to my wall charger. I can use it incase the wall charger runs into trouble. It also helps for vacuuming.

-For a wall charger, Wire should be 10 Sq mm 3 core. This is the wire that runs from your Meter to the wall charger spot. If the wall charger spot is more than 30meters from your EB meter, the wire should be 16 sq mm (armored cable) ..

-For a 15amps socket, 2.5 sq mm if distance is within 30 meters, 4sqmm if distance is more than that.

-A two pole MCB should be enough. However, I was advised by my apartment electricians to add an ELCB. They said it gives better control during fluctuations and reduces hazards.
docelectric2020 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 21:54   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docelectric2020 View Post
-For a wall charger, Wire should be 10 Sq mm 3 core.
Hi, what is the charger rating in this calculation.
Old 11th February 2021, 02:02   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Team,

• 15 / 16 ampere socket?

• Different ELCB for it.

At office here in The Netherlands, we have something simple like this, which is just a basic 3kW (230V, 15A) plug socket with cover at parking location, with a switch inside office to turn it ON/OFF.

Setting up an Electric Vehicle charging point at home-buitenstopcontact300x300.jpg

because most of the colleague's cars are parked for atleast 7-8 hours and no need to charge with Type2 (mostly 11kW).

At home, we have a Tesla wall charger (https://shop.tesla.com/product/wall-...or?tesref=true). Probably it will take some time for Tesla to launch this in India.

In India, I think ABB has a product line up called terra AC wallbox. It is basically a type 2 AC charger which can support upto 1-phase 7.2kW/32A or 3-phase 22kW/32A depending upon your input. Almost all current and to be coming EVs in the future should support type 2. This is faster than the normal plug point and has all bells and whistles like energy monitoring, networking possibilities for future integration with your home network. Most importantly it has all safety built in. You need to feed the requested input current and should be good to go. I would suggest a 3-phase 22kW setup.

Setting up an Electric Vehicle charging point at home-imageofchargerwithtext.png

https://new.abb.com/ev-charging/terra-ac-wallbox

If you are going to have more than 1 EV in your drive way (Of course, who is going to review all the newer EVs coming out in Indian market), then I would recommend a combination of 1 normal 1-phase/230V 15A socket and 1 Type 2 box like the Terra wallbox.

Last edited by carthick1000 : 11th February 2021 at 02:05.
carthick1000 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 10:57   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spgv View Post
Hi, what is the charger rating in this calculation.
By rating .. i believe you mean the power.. The wall charger which they install is 7.2kw

The portable charger which we can connect to any 15amps socket charges
at 1.5kw
Old 14th February 2021, 16:08   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Team,
The solution from ABB is neat as it incorporates charging, electrical protection, metering, connectivity etc in single box. The kind of presence ABB has in Indian market, i hope maintenance for occasional troubles wont be a issue.

For a 10 years horizon, not sure about power rating.

The charger controller would evolve several generations in just 10 years.

You may opt for a separate connection for charger in a few years, depending on the way government regulates EV charging. The high "approved load" on household connection to feed the charger would increase fixed charges and even higher unit rates in the monthly power bill. Please check with the utility on this.

Spending on very high capacity charging at home is required only for specific cases where user wants a full charge within hour or two.

To keep your installation future ready and to save the hassle of reinstallation, i think investing in higher capacity cable would make sense. Limited by the fact that home chargers are not required to be very fast, as the car would be parked overnight.

With the basic infrastructure in place, upgrading to charging solutions would be like to change the wall mounted charger module and a breaker at supply end.
spgv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 21:47   #28

Quote:
Team,

• 15 / 16 ampere socket?

• Different ELCB for it.

I suggest don't get the cable for 3 phase fast charging laid until you zero in on the type of charger. For the cable route, install 4 inch PVC conduit under your driveway and keep handholes at every 5m to ensure easy cable laying of armored cables.

For the 16A socket, 2.5 sq.mm 3 core cable, assuming distance is less than 100m.

Instead of ELCB, use a dedicated RCCB, parallel (not in series) to your home RCCB.
Dev_GT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 22:46   #29
BHPian

I want to add another perspective here, looking over so many accidents of fire while charging EV around the world, I strongly do not recommend to install ev charger inside house, if you can pull extra wire and move it in open parking, it would be safer
a4_attitude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 23:41   #30

I am planning on Nexon EV, but I stay in a flat and do not have stilt parking. My open parking is also a good 50m away from meter room and the route crosses other parkings and closed drains.

I am first mover here, and our housing society is apprehensive in giving NOC for cabling work as they are worried of the mess that will happen when EV numbers start to rise. Instead, they are favouring few common chargers - not a good idea as per me:
- Billing hassles
- Tata recommends using slow chargers more often
- Fight for spots
- Waiting for spot availability
- After charging, going down later to remove my car

Tata Motors Sales, with Tata Power support has agreed to give a presentation explaining the best way forward.

Fingers crossed.
Will keep you updated
Attached Thumbnails
Setting up an Electric Vehicle charging point at home-img20210228wa0002.jpg  

Dev_GT is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks