Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: When will you be ready to buy an Electric Car?
Now baby! I'm ready 53 9.01%
Short-term (1 - 2 years) 54 9.18%
Mid-term (3 - 4 years) 129 21.94%
Long-term (5+ years later) 285 48.47%
Rubbish, no EVs for me 67 11.39%
Voters: 588. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2019, 12:29   #91
BHPian

Re: When will you be ready to buy an Electric Car?

Personally, depends on where I am.
In India, maybe a couple of years. Once the manufacturers make it in India, including the batteries, and make it an EV from scratch, instead of converting an existing ICE to EV, I feel we will be at a point where nothing else will make sense.
Having driven the Tesla, Chevy bolt etc, its just a question of getting the product mix and cost down. And that I believe the Chinese will force the rest to do that. Hence 2-3 years max and I would go for it.
Old 25th December 2019, 12:45   #92
BHPian

This is my first post in this august forum. Very exited to break the ice and pass another milestone

I voted 1-2 years.

I think EV and Hybrid vehicles are the future. Yes, i still think ICE, may be in hybrid avatar, is here to stay for a long time. I also think EV's will get more innovative and will overcome range anxiety as the batteries become compact and cost effective while also increasing their range. Most importantly, the present day EV's, thanks to the leadership shown by Tesla, stopped being 'uniquely distinguished' and 'limited' mobility vehicles with these two primary traits being visible in its shape, capacity and behavior (remember Reva & E2O). It was heartening to hear about Nexon EV with 300km range and probably it is the first serious attempt to bring a practical and popular 'close to mass market' EV, assuming it will priced to appeal (<=15L), which is exactly on par with their ICE cousins in flesh, capacity and behavior. I do hope they price it also on par so it will really kick start the mass adoption and Tata can pat its back for being the pioneer while reaping benefits of its commercial success. Here, I am discounting Kona & MG ZS because of the price and also discounting other EV's launched earlier in India due to capacity issues. All the best for Tata motors India who otherwise being perennial 80% company, who gets 80% right and mostly screws up remaining 20% (ofcourse, its my strong opinion and will justify the reasoning in a separate post/topic later). I do hope they get the remaining 20% on Nexon EV right and ensure it gets the success it badly deserves.

Finally, my conditions for 1-2 year purchase/adoption of EV will be as follows:
1. This has to be a second car while the first one being the ICE for sheer pleasure of driving ICE, long drives and rainy days.
2. Having the parking space for atleast two cars and be able to install the charging infrastructure there.

In my case, meeting these conditions may be a long dream for now as i have only one parking space at my apartment in Bangalore.

However, I must say, for me, there is an immense pride that i derive by owning a practical EV as it satisfies the inner soul by doing something right to environment while not being too compromising
TurboOnTarmac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 13:46   #93
BHPian

The big question is are E.V,s really that environment friendly in a country like India as 90 % of electricity generated is through thermal plants which are coal based. Having lived in a city having thermal plant I can say they are more polluting than cars. Secondly the other question is batteries .. when they reach the end of their life cycle their proper disposal is a required which is not hundred percent foolproof. It is just a indirect way of making metros pollution free by polluting the environment at some other place. The only positive aspect is the reliance on fuel import can be lessened.
Old 25th December 2019, 14:48   #94
BHPian

In five years definitely. Its a sweet spot for me, because by then I will be up for a replacement of the current daily driver. Within this time I expect some fast chargers to come up on the major highways which means we will be able to take highway trips as well. Also I want to have atleast 50kW battery in my car. (for ref. current Leaf is 40kW (243 kms range) and Model 3 is 74.5kW (482 kms range)). By then there should be plenty of cars on the market. So its perfect timing for me.

If the charging networks were to be as good as they are in the US and Europe, I would have bought one today without hesitation.
Old 25th December 2019, 20:14   #95
BHPian

Voted medium term. For me the main requirements are -
1. Range - should be able to do 600-700 km in one run
2. Quick charging infra should be available
3. Should be possible to charge fairly quickly at home. Let’s say in about an hour or two
Old 25th December 2019, 21:04   #96
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewper View Post
In five means we will be able to take highway trips as well. Also I want to have atleast 50kW battery in my car. (for ref. current Leaf is 40kW (243 kms range) and Model 3 is 74.5kW (482 kms range)). By then there should be plenty of cars on the market. So its perfect timing for me.

If the charging networks were to be as good as they are in the US and Europe, I would have bought one today without hesitation.
Range and Effective Range. Two different things.

What IS the KONA’s range for example, in some typical situations like we have here in India.

Hot/ Humid Monsoon weather
Night time
Heavy Rains - so heavily waterlogged roads
Terrible Bumper to Bumper Traffic
Potholed roads and broken surfaces.
Unpredictable detours may be necessary
All lights on
AC Always on to avoid pollution
Music/ Radio on for entertainment/ information
People in the back seats so chargers being used there as well - for iPad or similar FD or playing games.
Phones also being charged else communications will go kaput.

All this is a build up to extremely heavy in car electricity usage. Apart from the use of electricity to propel the vehicle and manage all its sensors and safety kit and this and that.

Will the present generation of EV’s last this kind of obstacle course?
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 21:14   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Range and Effective Range. Two different things.

Will the present generation of EV’s last this kind of obstacle course?
Do you suspect or think the manufacturer would have not tested or missed such scenarios while doing long term testing ?
Old 26th December 2019, 10:29   #98
KMT
BHPian

The limiting factor for Rural folks to buy an EV is lack of electricity supply.

I live in Rural India, powercuts are frequent and occur DAILY, during Monsoons we go without power for weeks and have to depend on diesel generators for the entire period.

All the machines we run are Diesel powered.

I would love to have my machinery and cars run on electricity but I guess I will have to wait until we get localised Solar power generation.
KMT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 11:57   #99
BHPian

Voted for "Right now"
We have two cars at home - a small automatic for city use and another bigger one for long distances. I am good right now to replace the city car with an EV with a range of 200 kms. 15-17L for Nexon EV will be out of my budget and it is also a big too big for my liking. If Altroz EV launches for 10-12 L, I will pick it up. I don't see power cuts as a problem as I haven't seen more than 2 hours of power cut in a day in my area for many years now even in the summers. I also don't see setting up a charging point in my apartment parking slot as an issue. Also don't believe there will ever be a need for external charging stations for exclusive city use.

In general, to begin with, I believe exclusive city runabouts (esp second cars) can be replaced with EVs so that we get familiar with the technology and know about the potential issues. Since this is a new technology there will be a stabilization time where there will be issues seen and in those case it will be a lot easier to get help within the city. Highway use can happen after any major bugs are surfaced and ironed out and sufficient charging infrastructure is set up , maybe in 2-5 years.
Old 26th December 2019, 12:05   #100
BHPian

I voted mid-term as the long term ownership of an EV is still an unknown territory. Moreover, 400+ kms range is my expectation, given the high cost one would have to pay to own an EV of this category, not to mention the other challenges in terms of the cost of charging and availability of a fast charger on-the-go.
Old 26th December 2019, 15:52   #101
Senior - BHPian

I voted for 5+ years as I think that better price/range vehicles would be available then which can completely replace an ICE car.

Today I would like a strong plug in hybrid that gives me an extended range assist to the ICE engine and/or a 20km full electric low speed range
Old 26th December 2019, 19:31   #102
BHPian

I voted for 5+ years, but my next 2-wheeler will definitely be an EV and will be bought within the next 2 years. My next car will also be one if we have a good number of EV choices by the time I'm in the market after 2025.

Charging infrastructure will fall in place when more OEMs join the bandwagon.
Old 28th December 2019, 19:07   #103
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Do you suspect or think the manufacturer would have not tested or missed such scenarios while doing long term testing ?
I wish I knew. However, one thing is for sure. I most certainly do not wish to be amongst the real world UAT Guinea Pigs in this matter. In ref KMTs comment on the Rural Infra and power cuts/ intermittent supply, yes absolutely that is a very valid point and it even applies to Urban India with frequent load shedding, transformer bursts and and all that.
Old 29th December 2019, 10:06   #104

Interesting watch. Car ownership will decline 80-90% by 2030. Seems very logical.

Absolutely mind-boggling video! Talks about the far reaching impact of battery tech, EV and autonomous vehicles, and how close we are to an unbelievable disruption! But how in the end, it converges to a very positive impact - for people, for industry at large, for economy, for the environment!
MUST SEE!!
mohananuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 11:03   #105
BHPian

Voted for long term. Reasons being:

A) Current range of EVs are not highway friendly and unless we have 1000 kms range beast it can't make the cut for a travel freak!

B) Charging Infrastructure on highways and within city - it will take quite some time for this to be in place. Till such time better to bide the time.

C) Charging time - A 20 Mins or less charge time is a must. Let the folks sweat it over this and perfect it first.

D) Cost to own- I will better wait till the cost of possession comes down to acceptable range for a middle class family.

E) EVs have to showcase their ability to become the primary car instead of a 2nd or 3rd car which it is today. Most of the middle class families do not have the luxury of owning two or three cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks