Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2022, 23:12   #61
BHPian

Re: Why a cheap & simple 15A plug is just fine for home-charging your Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
One gentleman wants to install a fast charger in the basement parking routing the cables from his home or his BESCOM meter (which is in the basement).

Hearing all the stories of EVs catching fire while charging, everyone is opposing. Particularly as there are other petrol/ diesel vehicles parked close to this guy's parking. The fear is that if anything goes wrong, all fossil fuel vehicles could catch fire and maybe endanger the building itself.

P.S. - Our apartment has multiple slow chargers installed at the entrance. But this one smart alec insists he wants to have a fast charger.

Would like to hear views from the knowledgeable folks here.
A fast charger? Do you mean a a home charger like a 3.3kw or 7kw unit. Its not fast, its fast compared to US 110v standards.

A 3kw charger on a nexon is like charging your smart phone with a usb 2.0 computer port, a 7kw is like charging with a usb 3.0 port. Since the battery in nexon is still being charged at 0.1C with a 3kw charger and a nexon max with 7kw charger is still being chargeed less then 0.2c. So there is very little heat made from the battery charging, just like your smart phone if charged with a usb 2.0 port with 500ma output.

But it will put more load on the apartment transformer, if everyone starts fixing 3kw or 7kw chargers. Once the load is enough to saturate the existing transformer, it will start giving low voltage and then start getting hotter and hotter, until it fails, which will be spectacular in terms of fireworks.

Even if you use a portable charger aka granny charger, for what ever reason if there is a short or arc, it will cause fire.

If the vehicle has a lipo or NMC/NCA chemistry battery like 2020 MG ZS with 40kwh battery or hyundai Kona, Ioniq 5 or Kia EV6 ,these batteries when they fail or have a short will cause thermal runaway. The batteries themself can sustain or start new fires.

But if its a Tata nexon/Max, Tiago/Tigor, BYD, MG ZS 50kwh face lift version, these have LFP battery which by themselves will not contribute to a fire. But just like any battery including lead acid battery in your IC vehicle, if you short the postive and negative terminals which creates a Arc, it may cause fire to other flammable material like carpet, plastics etc.

So which vehicle does he have.
aim120 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 10:53   #62
BHPian

Re: Why a cheap & simple 15A plug is just fine for home-charging your Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
A fast charger? Do you mean a a home charger like a 3.3kw or 7kw unit. Its not fast, its fast compared to US 110v standards.
Thanks, I think I missed that. He really meant a home charger and not a fast charger. Probably he might have meant his 7 kw home charger than the society 3 kw charger.

The point on transformers is also fairly valid.

He has booked a Nexon EV
Old 8th November 2022, 19:05   #63
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I won't recommend the setup, definitely not for overnight (unattended). There should be a place above the ground to place temporary charger, under cover (what if it starts rain in the night?) and with a separate MCB/ ELCB.
But of course! This is used for EVs just once a month or once in two months, and primarily during the day with someone watching over. Reason = I don't own an EV yet .

The plugs are currently used for the Bosch C7, with the actual charger unit placed inside the car (under the bonnet).

When I buy an EV, there will be a waterproof box for the charger.

Quote:
Also, we should ensure that earthing of the house is good and checked after a couple of years, especially for all EV households. It will be a good idea if we get separate earth only for EV charging. Some of the manufacturers like BMW (ABB) insist on this.
All fresh wiring for the chargers in my compound, right up to the source, with the relevant MCBs / ELCBs.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed