Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2023, 21:51   #376
BHPian

Re: MG Comet EV Review

Does this occur while the vehicle is stationary? Perhaps a video could provide clarification.

On a different note, I took a risk and arranged for pickup/drop-off for the second service. I received the car back late in the evening. I had concerns about the air conditioning in Comet, thinking it wasn't up to par. Despite my initial skepticism, I raised it as a complaint because my family kept mentioning that the AC wasn't sufficient. After the service, I now sense a significant improvement in the cooling capacity and blower power. I'll conduct a field test again tomorrow in the midday heat. Additionally, I'll inspect the entire vehicle in broad daylight to check for any other issues.

Service cost: I paid 990 for the reducer fluid replacement and an extra amount for the pickup and drop-off services.
raj3kdell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 17:23   #377

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTIMAed View Post
In spite of myself reporting the concern of steering wheel sound which comes when turning lock to lock, nothing has been done at the service station. The sound still persists. It was pretty embarrassing when a friend (who is a prospective customer for the Comet) pointed it out. Is anyone facing the same concern. I shall record a video of the same and post it here for expert advice.
A video would help, but personally not facing any sound from steering or similar.
If service center has not rectified it, you can mail MG Motors directly, unlike other companies where there are different dealerships and we are at mercy of them, all dealerships by MG are under same parent company (technically there is no dealership concept) so MG manages everything and they are very pro-active with customer complaints and feedback.
shubhank008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 11:36   #378

Had the same issue of steering controls not working from day 1. Informed the ASC. Got a quick response saying the entire kit will be replaced within 3 days. Pretty good and quick response from tue dealer. They also informed that may vehicles have reported the same issue and they are replacing the same on a campaign mode. Kudos MG
rkr81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2023, 11:53   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhank008 View Post
…all dealerships by MG are under same parent company (technically there is no dealership concept) so MG manages everything and they are very pro-active with customer complaints and feedback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkr81 View Post
They also informed that may vehicles have reported the same issue and they are replacing the same on a campaign mode. Kudos MG
Two and a half years with a Hector Plus and we too can confirm that MG takes its after-sales very seriously. And this isn’t individual related, it’s a culture, which is considerably harder to achieve. There is a constantly rotating team (industry challenge I guess) and just about all of them have been very helpful. Earnest even. To a point where I’m more willing to forgive them for errors than get hung up on them, not that they’ve made many. Really happy overall with the experience. By now it should be plenty clear how committed they are to this market so never mind the naysayers. If you like their product(s) go for it and rest easy.
RT13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2023, 12:19   #380

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkr81 View Post
Had the same issue of steering controls not working from day 1. Informed the ASC. Got a quick response saying the entire kit will be replaced within 3 days. Pretty good and quick response from tue dealer. They also informed that may vehicles have reported the same issue and they are replacing the same on a campaign mode. Kudos MG
I guess I gotta get mine checked too then, its not that controls are not working but takes a few presses from different angles to work, its not like you press the next button a single time and it works, quite annoying.

PS: Anyone knows if we can pickup/end calls through steering controls with Carplay/Auto ? Not been able to.

----
I took the plush variant primarily for the screens and media capability but I really feel now MG has wasted the potential of the screens and media unit.

Specially the speedometer screen, no additional trip info, no way to reset trip meter, not even a simple clock/time info.
Old 25th December 2023, 10:12   #381
Senior - BHPian

While MG doesn't say anything about hill start/hold assist, I came across this video of comet being able to hold brakes for few seconds on an incline. Can owners comment on this?

giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2023, 17:06   #382

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
While MG doesn't say anything about hill start/hold assist, I came across this video of comet being able to hold brakes for few seconds on an incline. Can owners comment on this?

https://Youtube.com/watch?v=4fmd3KXL...B93PzG8j4R4kfT
It does.. I guess it's standard 2-3 second Hill Hold Assist. But, nowhere in MG website or brochure mentions about this feature.
Old 25th December 2023, 17:36   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj3kdell View Post
@MG - I hope you listen to you customers. When can we see updates to Instrument Cluster / Infotainment system Software? They are too basic. Need to be on par with others in the leagues. Some suggestions:

* MG recommends shallow charging as per the user manual but there is no option to cut the charging at 80% or less (even some two wheelers have this feature)
* Instrument cluster is too basic and boring. Can use some variety there (other cars have them).
* MG Comet EV has a decent canvas on the infotainment system). Option to watch videos when partked would be a great addition.
* Feature to remotely turn on the AC to cool the cabin from iSmart is missing. Did you even notice it till now? It's advertised in the brochure but over looked while implementation.
* Mutiple Trip meters would be a nifty addition.
* Android Auto is buggy at times and won't connect wirelessly
* Frequent software updates even to fix small bugs than waiting to push major ones would be great
* Wear OS software is bare minimum too and also keeps logging me out and defeats the purpose to unlock the car when needed (using this on Samsung Watch 4)
* Infotainment themes are too colourful on dark theme . Can have more minimalist themes that are classy on both?
There are some more but I guess this is good for now. Looking forward to getting these features soon.
Referring to your 4th point, it works provided the Comet is connected by bluetooth.
ALTIMAed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2023, 17:50   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhank008 View Post
I guess I gotta get mine checked too then, its not that controls are not working but takes a few presses from different angles to work, its not like you press the next button a single time and it works, quite annoying.

PS: Anyone knows if we can pickup/end calls through steering controls with Carplay/Auto ? Not been able to.

----
I took the plush variant primarily for the screens and media capability but I really feel now MG has wasted the potential of the screens and media unit.

Specially the speedometer screen, no additional trip info, no way to reset trip meter, not even a simple clock/time info.
Hi, I confirm, one can pick up calls and end calls using the buttons on the steering wheel. As a matter of fact, once connected to Apple Car Play, one can also forward / skip a song if one would like to.

Trip meter not being on the main page is definitely an irritant, specially when there is a lot of real estate where it could have been incorporated easily. Trip meter reading is available on the 2nd page, where it also mentions motor rpm, which according to me is not of such importance. It displays volts and amps in relatively large fonts, but the reading KW is displayed in really small fonts. I rather the KW be used in a larger font as compared to volts and amp. WH display is missing.
Old 26th December 2023, 23:32   #385
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

A new Comet owner. Bought the base variant as I just need it for city usage only.
Got the rear parking camera installed and looking to upgrade the halogen bulb to Philips Racing vision. Can someone confirm the halogen bulb specs of mg comet pace variant. I’ll be placing the order based on your answer, so kindly double check. Thanks in advance
Old 27th December 2023, 05:18   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Referring to your 4th point, it works provided the Comet is connected by bluetooth.
Agree, but that's not practical and helpful unlike Remote AC which helps to cool the car before you get into it, isn't it? My understanding is most other cars have this feature why not comet?
raj3kdell is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 13:28   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj3kdell View Post
Agree, but that's not practical and helpful unlike Remote AC which helps to cool the car before you get into it, isn't it? My understanding is most other cars have this feature why not comet?
Agree with you 100%

Facing a lot of problem with the infotainment system screen which tend to blacken out when connected to Apple Car play. Need to coordinate with the service department.

Day before yesterday, did a 155 kms round trip from Dwarka (New Delhi) to Greater Noida. There were 4 of us (Uncle, Aunt, my mother (all senior citizens) and myself) in the car. The drive was comfortable for all of us. Initially I was skeptical of their comfort level in Puchku, so as a back up, asked Aunt to keep her Wagon R (AMT) keys in her bag, just incase we had to switch cars once seated in Puchku (my mother and Aunt were the rear seat passengers). Throughout the journey to Greater Noida (3 times I asked my mother and Aunty if they were comfortable, they confirmed they were).

The drive was extremely smooth and easily I was at speed close to the permissible speed limit which, at sections was 100 kmph, I did not exceed 85 kmph though. Indeed extremely satisfied with my purchase.
ALTIMAed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 14:14   #388
BHPian

Quote:
The drive was extremely smooth and easily I was at speed close to the permissible speed limit which, at sections was 100 kmph, I did not exceed 85 kmph though. Indeed extremely satisfied with my purchase.
Speed limit is reduced to 75 kmph on entire Noida Expressway from 15-Dec to 15-Feb due to foggy conditions. Infact new boards have been put up mentioning the 75 speed limit. Hope auto speed cameras haven't captured you doing 85.
maverick.vkv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 14:42   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick.vkv View Post
Speed limit is reduced to 75 kmph on entire Noida Expressway from 15-Dec to 15-Feb due to foggy conditions. Infact new boards have been put up mentioning the 75 speed limit. Hope auto speed cameras haven't captured you doing 85.
Good God!! I did not know this. There were vehicles zipping past me. Keeping the 'Urban Mobility Solution' in mind, I did not exceed 85 kmph. Unfortunately my eyes captured the speed limit as 100 kmph, did not spot a single board mentioning 75 kmph, or maybe after seeing the 100 kmph, which got registered in my mind, did not focus on the 75 kmph board. Just praying am not fined!
Old 7th January 2024, 12:35   #390
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

While at the MG showroom today to test the ZS EV I also sat in the Comet. I did not test drive it.

But my impression is definitely that it is well put together and can be an excellent option as a city commuter.

The Comet is what Reva or E20 ought to have been by now considering that they appeared first in the market 14-15 years ago.

The cabin is ergonomic and all the controls are easy to reach. The space is excellent as a two seater for sure and the rear seats when folded down, can swallow up an enormous amount of shopping, weekly groceries and all that.

Well designed, small and neat package overall. Did not check other details on range and charging and all that but this will 100% be a more than adequate option for the city, for sure!

However, being a tall person, I found the footwell a bit cramped and my legs folded a little awkwardly even though the seat was pushed back to the max. Also there is a marked lack of under thigh support.

Looks are very subjective yes. I have myself made uncharitable remarks about the Comet. But when you look st that Bajaj QUTE and the Tata Nano and the Reva and E20 and all, then why not the Comet as well?

Comet actually looks a bit like the depiction of an Electric Car in a book I got as a kid - 1974 - Ladybird - Man and His Car.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Comet EV Review-img_4524.jpeg  

MG Comet EV Review-img_4523.jpeg  

MG Comet EV Review-052c284015864860a72cd7658cbec9ca.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks