Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2023, 20:51   #256
BHPian

Re: MG Comet EV Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBabyGo View Post
Hi parrys - Have you given a thought about tyre upsize in MG Comet from 145/70/R12 to 165/55/R13 (with variation of 0.77%). Will tyre upsize improve ride quality, comfort and stability will be better?
I have been thinking about some sort of upsize to improve grip and ride comfort. I don't think the 165/55/R13 option will provide better ride quality since it has a smaller sidewall and can't absorb as much bumps. I am not a tyre expert and there are other params involved, but in general a larger sidewall / profile will help improve the ride comfort IMHO.

Also I don't know if this thread is ok to talk tyre as there is a separate area of tyre mods. However I am looking for options to make the ride better too, so I am all ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj3kdell View Post
Interesting to hear MG Team is keeping an eye on this thread. Really appreciate that if they do. However, how did you figure that out? Did they reach out to you? Which problems were addressed. Just curious!
The dealer let me know about this. There were some pending bits during delivery and MG had taken them to task to sort out any misunderstandings and deliver what was promised. The dealer was calling us daily and giving us an update about the situation.

I'll spare the details here since the dealer was very concerned the last time, but I don't have words to express how impressed I was with MG Motors for doing what they did. They could have just stayed silent and watched from the sidelines, and I would have been none the wiser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj3kdell View Post
Approach unlock (walkaway lock) feature is cool and convenient, works as intended but I have a feeling this may bring down the 12V batter down a bit which in turn impacts the HV battery as it requires constantly checking the proximity of the key within the range.
Fair point. I wonder what the mechanism for this is. Does the car really keep polling for the remote or something else. I like this feature, it's quite cool, but I would be happy to keep it turned off and won't miss much. I mean every other car I would just use the key or button on the door. In fact this car has the request button on both sides of the car. My Alcazar has it only on the drivers side and if I finish off by having to (say) pick up the water bottle from the passenger side or passenger side middle seat, then I have to fish for the keys to lock the car. Or I have to walk to the driver door to press the request button

With the Comet, I can lock / unlock the car from either side. Say, after I pick up my laptop bag from the passenger seat, I can lock it right from there.

So yeah, I am sure battery drain will be minimal and not something I'd be too worried about, but why take the chance. I'll probably just turn the proximity detection off. Thanks.

However, it's a neat party trick when showing off the car to friends and neighbours.

More Experiences / Observations:

Today I had a huge bunch of folks in my society asking about the car and were impressed by the internal space it has on offer with such compact external dimensions. Truly a born electric car.

On the flip side, I was frustrated was when I was trying to fill in air for the car. I have a Bergmann pump (which has been amazing btw) and since I won't do gas station runs with the EV, I decided to check and top up the air pressure myself. While the wheel caps are well designed and look cool, they are a nightmare to access the air valves and fit the pump on.

MG Comet EV Review-screenshot-20230814-8.42.38-pm.png

I had to bend and twist my fingers, and pull the valve outward in order to attach the hose. I lost about 2-5psi while putting the hose on and again while taking it off. I just hope the overage and "experience" I got after a few attempts let me take off the hose quickly without losing too much net PSI.

You'll probably hear choice words if you were to get this filled at a petrol bunk.

MG Comet EV Review-img_2162.jpg

However the low-light of the day was when I peered through the wheel wells and saw the under chassis electrical cabling sorely sticking out. While the cables are really thick and seem of good quality (feels like the LPG cylinder pipes), I wish MG would have kept this cleaner. Maybe they can innovate and come up with a cover plate or something which they can add during a subsequent service. It would help me be a lot more confident when I am driving on rough patches, or if there was a bush / branch on the road. I will be forever worried that some stone or protrusion on our Bangalore roads will snag the cable.

MG Comet EV Review-screenshot-20230814-8.45.46-pm.png

Oh btw, when they were fitting the wall charger at home, the technician came with 4sqmm or 6sqmm armored cables. This means there is a sheath of twisted metal cables inside the rubber tube and this will stand the test of time and rodents. I was impressed by the quality of the cable they brought in. I don't know about Tata these days, but Mahindra used regular 2.5sqmm / 4sqmm cables for my E2O. I just hope the cables underneath the Comet is as robust as the armored cables that I saw.
herculesksp is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 21:50   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
I have been thinking about some sort of upsize to improve grip and ride comfort. I don't think the 165/55/R13 option will provide better ride quality since it has a smaller sidewall and can't absorb as much bumps. I am not a tyre expert and there are other params involved, but in general a larger sidewall / profile will help improve the ride comfort IMHO.

I think the nano rear tyre size of 155/65 r12 should be an ideal upsize. I am thinking of getting this upgrade done if I go for the comet. As of now Dilly dallying between Tiago MR and comet. Tiago is better bet but since I already have a tigor ev there is no wow and it's all deja vu.
Nanolover is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 19:55   #258
BHPian

Quote:

On the flip side, I was frustrated was when I was trying to fill in air for the car. I have a Bergmann pump (which has been amazing btw) and since I won't do gas station runs with the EV, I decided to check and top up the air pressure myself. While the wheel caps are well designed and look cool, they are a nightmare to access the air valves and fit the pump on.
I can't agree more on the wheel cap cut out size. Definetely a oversight by the design team. I wish MG notices this and comes up with a work around (can they?) if not replace the wheel caps that provide easy access to Air Valves.

I have recently submitted this as well along with missing remote AC on/off feature and couple of more to their customer care who promptly raised a ticket (27303). Awaiting further response on this.
raj3kdell is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 10:14   #259
BHPian

Quote:

I had to bend and twist my fingers, and pull the valve outward in order to attach the hose. I lost about 2-5psi while putting the hose on and again while taking it off. I just hope the overage and "experience" I got after a few attempts let me take off the hose quickly without losing too much net PSI.

You'll probably hear choice words if you were to get this filled at a petrol bunk.
I have this same problem with the 2022 MG ZS EV, it makes you wonder who approved this design. I have the Amazon basic tyre inflater and usually over inflate by 2 PSI and then try to unscrew the valve as quickly as my clumsy fingers can before the deflation hiss stops.
Old 17th August 2023, 12:11   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
I have this same problem with the 2022 MG ZS EV, it makes you wonder who approved this design. I have the Amazon basic tyre inflater and usually over inflate by 2 PSI and then try to unscrew the valve as quickly as my clumsy fingers can before the deflation hiss stops.
I have faced the same issue while filling air into my MG ZS, such poor implementation of wheel caps.

I came across this adaptor on Amazon which should help with the above problem. I have not yet used. Will update once I use it over the weekend.

MG Comet EV Review-61uvgswnzl._sl1024_.jpg

https://amzn.eu/d/cUwycDm
speedmiester is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 12:50   #261
BHPian

After one month, I scheduled my Comet's first service, which I completed today. This service primarily involved a routine inspection, and they also performed a firmware update for TAV (an unfamiliar acronym to me). I'm content with the service I received, as everything was handled competently and there are no complaints on my end.

The car was given a thorough wash and cleaning. With a total of around 750 kilometers driven so far, I've found the Comet to be highly practical for city use. I've even opted for the Comet over my other small car for short trips, as it's remarkably easy to start and drive.

Charging the Comet once a week, either at my office or home, grants me a range of 170-180 kilometers per charge. While this range is satisfactory, it's worth noting that using the air conditioning reduces it slightly, though it can still provide about 200 kilometers without the AC running.

In summary, my experience with the Comet has been favorable after using it in my daily routine for commuting to work, shopping, and even a short highway journey, which it managed decently.

Will i recommend Comet? yes, if the need is only for City, easy to handle, and easy to park. it takes away the stress of driving inside the city or to nearby short distances, you can just start and go. it's so convenient.

Few things require improvements.

1. Front seat belt location - It is so inconvenient to pull the seat belt to wear, it is far away from the front seat, turning your whole body to pull the belt and you may end up getting cramps.
2. Creep function - if they introduce Creep, it will be helpful in the city.
3. Better Front seat under thing support.
4. Slightly reduce A&B pedal heights.
5. Tilt steering

Last edited by mukeshannamalai : 17th August 2023 at 12:52.
mukeshannamalai is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 15:39   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post

I came across this adaptor on Amazon which should help with the above problem. I have not yet used. Will update once I use it over the weekend.
If it works, it would help avoid deflating I guess. However, unscrewing the Air Valve cap is something that we still have to live with. I bought the metal air valve (with MG logo) to ease the access as it is little longer than the default air valve cap that comes with the car. https://*******.com/52xukfsb

I was checking Wuling Air EV which seems to be having better designed wheelcap with easy access to Air Valve (even Tiago EV for that matter). Not sure why Indian version of the car had to make it tough. MG should defintely look into this at the earliest as this is really a pain.
Old 17th August 2023, 19:33   #263
BHPian

Seeing a pattern here. Others chime in if you noticed similar issue. I see the battery drops from 100% to 95% SoC very quickly (approximately 1% per km) compared to 95% or less (which is approx 2 km for 1%) . 100% to 99% almost instantly if I disconnect the charger right after reaching 100%. While I can attribute this to absence of regen until it reaches below 96% to some extent, I am not sure regen can make so much difference (I am driving in 'Normal' regen level at all times).

Another observation is that Main battery consumption is more if we use the car on multiple days (gives only approx 1.25 to 1.5km for 1%) vs driving long at a stretch (gives close to 2km for 1%). Here is what is mentioned in the owners manual but it says under certain conditions only to ensure vehicle starts so not sure if this could be the reason.

Excerpt from Owner's Manual
Smart Charging:
The 12V battery SOC is constantly monitored, when the Start/Stop switch is in the OFF position it is possible, under certain conditions, that the HV battery will automatically charge the 12V battery to ensure the vehicle starts. This function will activate and switch off automatically.
raj3kdell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 10:51   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like there are some Type-2 (non CCS?) chargers around. Also I think there are enough Ather charging stations that use the Type 2 (I could be wrong) connectors. So we should be able to use that. 3.3KW and 7.2KW have the same ports and the car will draw the power it can handle.

Essentially any A/C charging station should work, the CCS2 extension is only for DC fast charging.
Ather's type 2 port doesn't work with cars. Also, they have locked out the 16A plugs since last month after stopping free charging. Now only Ather (and Vida) can charge at their FC.
Charging CometEv outside of home /office will take a lot of time with 3.3KW AC chargers in an emergency. They should have provided DC fast charging capabilities for peace of mind.
Old 22nd August 2023, 19:40   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Received the adaptor yesterday and it works well. Worthy purchase.
There is no loss of air while fixing the valve or while removing it.
speedmiester is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2023, 08:59   #266
BHPian

Just a quick update. Tried exploring various modes for maximum efficiency. It may be obvious for few. For others, Eco mode with Regen set to High gives best Mileage (close to 2km for 1% battery depletion). The initial pickup takes a hit little bit. A small price to pay to get extra juice from the battery.
Old 24th August 2023, 15:07   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Congratulations on your purchase, parry. Wishing you many happy miles in the Comet. For me, it's not my cup of tea no matter how much I try to convince myself of the Comet's pros. I simply cannot get over how this nano V2 sized car looks. I hated the nano for how it looked and I hate the comet for the same reason.

I might be in the market for a reasonably priced electric city hatchback this time next year, and hopefully by then we'll have more options to choose from than just the Tiago, Comet and eC3.

Last edited by SaiSW : 24th August 2023 at 15:08.
Old 25th August 2023, 17:19   #268
GTE
BHPian

When the comet was launched I decided to keep a close eye on it to see whether it could be a substitute for my scooter use. After reading a lot of posts on the forum I decided to go in for it. I then enquired from both the dealers as to what they were offering. The Prabhadevi dealer was not offering as good a deal as the other dealer who shall remain unnamed. They sent somebody over and we agreed on everything. I was wrongly told that I would be getting two chargers with the car the 2nd charger turned out to be just a wall socket with a cover. Anyway the day for delivery had come and I went to the showroom I was shown the car and to my surprise it had 160 km on the odometer. I checked the tyres and they looked like they had been used a fair amount. I listed the car on the MG I smart App and found that it had been taken for joyrines on 10 different occasions. I would strongly urge anybody buying a connected car to investigate through the application to make sure this does not happen to them. The sales person had assured me that as compensation they would be giving me 3 years of free services. Later they absolutely denied this. Luckily I had the WhatsApp chats as proof. I managed to take screen shots just in time because he had used the disappearing messages option. I then raised the issue with MG and they swung into action. I have never come across such a horrible dealership ever. MG however to their credit put pressure on the dealer to fall in line. I have a feeling that this dealer could be a reincarnation of the "Nummer Eins" Skoda dealership as the location is very similar. Maybe someone has knowledge about this.
GTE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 19:32   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTE View Post
I have a feeling that this dealer could be a reincarnation of the "Nummer Eins" Skoda dealership as the location is very similar. Maybe someone has knowledge about this.
I feel I know which dealer you talking about. Yes, the erstwhile skoda dealer was notorious. But hardly heard anything negative about the MG dealers so far. This is very unfortunate and I feel even 3 years of free service is less of an ask. Congratulations on the Comet.
Old 26th August 2023, 20:31   #270
GTE
BHPian

An irritating occurrence in the Comet is the trip meter resetting itself randomly, has anyone else had this happen?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks