Old 29th June 2023, 16:38   #211
BHPian

Re: MG Comet EV Review

MG Comet accessories brochure
https://twitter.com/TurboDrives/stat...AGN5xUmkg&s=19
Old 1st July 2023, 23:03   #212
BHPian

Got my MG Comet plush today(White), it is a short 3kms drive from Dealer to home so cannot comment on my experience , i was happy about the LED headlights though but wait for my drive experience, i will take the car on Monday for 10kms drive to my office during peak hour Bengaluru traffic. I have Venue DCT which i get 7-8 in peak hour traffic, its not a direct comparison however i will be able to give my drive experience, Thanks.
mukeshannamalai is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2023, 15:55   #213
BHPian

I am waiting for mine to get delivered. Have booked Plush white dual tone. Hope your experience is good.
Old 2nd July 2023, 23:25   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshannamalai View Post
Got my MG Comet plush today(White), it is a short 3kms drive from Dealer to home so cannot comment on my experience , i was happy about the LED headlights though but wait for my drive experience, i will take the car on Monday for 10kms drive to my office during peak hour Bengaluru traffic. I have Venue DCT which i get 7-8 in peak hour traffic, its not a direct comparison however i will be able to give my drive experience, Thanks.
That would be an interesting account to hear. Curious to know which corridor do you commute on, and it is one of our densest ones.
Old 6th July 2023, 10:18   #215
BANNED

MG sold 1184 Comet EVs in June 2023, not bad given the nascent stage of EV industry in India.

Name:  mg comet.png
Views: 1197
Size:  89.4 KB

Source

PS: Didn't anyone from our forum buy it yet?

Last edited by wheelguy : 6th July 2023 at 10:21.
Old 6th July 2023, 10:45   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
MG sold 1184 Comet EVs in June 2023, not bad given the nascent stage of EV industry in India.

Attachment 2472310

Source

PS: Didn't anyone from our forum buy it yet?
It's probably Factory dispatch, not sales.
Old 6th July 2023, 11:15   #217
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravdas808 View Post
It's probably Factory dispatch, not sales.
I think MG reports only retail sales. They might have changed the convention this time.
Old 6th July 2023, 11:21   #218
BHPian

Recently visited the MG Kottayam dealership to have a look at the Comet. Didn’t do a test drive as the test drive vehicle had gone out for a drive. The base variant is 9.1 lakhs on road at my place. It looked like the perfect replacement for our Nano, but the price is hard to accept. The SA claimed they have delivered 9 comets so far, but I am yet to see one in the road. The SA promised to send the E brochure and photos but there has been no follow ups from his side as yet.
Old 6th July 2023, 14:20   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Allow me to share my first experience commuting to and from the office and delve into why I chose a Comet as my preferred EV.

After owning several cars over the past 20 years, I currently drive a Venue DCT. One fine morning, as I embarked on my journey to the office, I encountered an unexpected delay. It took me a staggering 2.5 hours to cover a mere distance of 13 kilometers. This incident sparked a thought in my mind: the realization that I had burned fuel for such an extended period, resulting in a fuel efficiency of merely 4-5 kilometers per liter. It was a random thought that lingered throughout the day, and by evening, I made a decision—I resolved to switch to an electric vehicle (EV) for my city drives.

This decision wasn't solely motivated by potential monetary savings but rather driven by a personal desire to reduce my reliance on burning copious amounts of fuel.

Subsequently, I became certain that I required an electric vehicle (EV) solely for city driving, as approximately 95% of my commute takes place within the city limits. I intended to retain my Venue for long drives or consider replacing Venue with another vehicle for such occasions.

for EV, I was not willing to spend more than 10+. Initially, I considered the Tata Tiago as an option. However, due to my experience with Tata Safari and its after-sales service, I wasn't convinced. While Citroën is renowned for producing quality cars, it personally did not appeal to me. Eventually, I turned my attention to the MG Comet. I extensively researched reviews, watched videos, and even went for a test drive. I was particularly drawn to its design, spacious front area, and overall fit and finish. Although the ride quality was satisfactory and not exceptionally luxurious, considering my daily drive is less than 25 kilometers in total, this EV seemed perfectly suitable for my everyday commuting needs.

Despite explicitly requesting the dealer to fully charge the car before delivery, I was disappointed to find that it was only charged 70%. This lack of attention to my request left me unimpressed with their commitment. It would be beneficial for MG to ensure that their dealers prioritize charging the car to 100% during delivery, considering that installing a charger can be a time-consuming process.

My initial drive to the office unfolded as follows:

Upon taking delivery of the MG Comet on Saturday, it had a 70% charge. By Tuesday, the battery level had dropped to 55%(did some local drives), offering a remaining range of 110 kilometers. I have the option to take two different routes to the office, with a distance of 13 kilometers while commuting to the office and 11 kilometers when returning home, each via separate routes.

For my office commute, I usually take the old airport road to Koramangala from my home, covering a distance of 13 kilometers. The drive started with a battery level of 55% and an odometer reading of 52 kilometers. Upon reaching the office, the remaining battery was 49% with a range of 98 kilometers, and the odometer showed 65 kilometers.

Essentially, I traveled 13 kilometers and utilized only 6% of the battery. The morning traffic was consistently heavy, and it took me over 1 hour and 10 minutes to cover the 13-kilometer distance. Some friends had expressed the belief that the MG Comet would significantly reduce my commute time, but I realized that despite the vehicle change, the roads and traffic conditions remained the same. Thus, the driving time did not experience any notable changes.

During this 1 hour and 10 minutes on the 13-kilometer HAL-old airport-Koramangala route, my previous car, Venue DCT, would have consumed approximately 2 liters of petrol, costing around 220 rupees. However, with the MG Comet, I only utilized 6% of the battery, even with the air conditioning running for roughly 50% of the time. Additionally, the pleasant weather allowed me to switch off the AC intermittently along the way. Based on this observation, I estimate that a single charge (100%) of the MG Comet can suffice for my daily office commute for around 6-7 days. Consequently, I anticipate a monthly charging expense of not more than 1000 rupees.

Furthermore, during peak traffic moments when the vehicle comes to a halt for around 10 minutes or so due to traffic jams, the EV relieves the stress of running the engine, I found myself in a calm and relaxed mood during these traffic pauses, and I'm confident that other EV owners can attest to this experience.

When it comes to ride quality, I have some differing opinions compared to what I've read in reviews. While many reviews praised the ride quality, I found it to be bumpy on rough roads. However, on smooth roads, there were no issues, and the ride felt relatively smooth. Considering the small tires, I understand that we can't expect much better ride quality.

As for the entertainment system and speaker quality, there isn't much to discuss. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest sound quality, I would rate it a 6. The sound quality is acceptable for me, and the large screen provides ample information regarding range, odometer, etc.

In terms of NVH (noise, vibration, and harshness), there is a noticeable humming noise while driving. I'm not certain if this is an artificial sound generated for pedestrian safety. However, with the windows closed, a significant amount of road noise is filtered out. The cabin is not completely silent, but overall, I would rate the NVH as good, although not excellent.

One major concern for me is the absence of a creep function. As a city car, the lack of a creep function is a significant oversight from MG. Transitioning from my Venue DCT, which had a creep function, I find it challenging to drive in bumper-to-bumper traffic since I need to constantly operate both the accelerator and brake pedals, unlike the single-pedal operation in my Venue DCT. I hope MG addresses this by introducing an update to include the creep function. However, I understand that not everyone may find this feature as crucial as I do.

Regarding the front driver and passenger seats, they lack optimal under-thigh support, particularly for someone of my height (5'10"). I expected better under-thigh support for improved seating comfort. my better half found the seats good for her, I will need to evaluate this further when I install seat covers.

Another drawback is the absence of height adjustment in the driver's seat, making it challenging to find the right seating position for my height. The seating position feels a bit awkward, as I end up sitting away from the steering wheel to achieve a more comfortable leg position for the accelerator. However, this leads to cramped leg space and difficulty in reaching the accelerator and brake pedals. The accelerator and brake pedals are positioned higher from the floor, and to find a more comfortable seating position, I have to push the seat back as far as possible.

Regarding suitability for senior citizens, my mother, who is nearly 80 years old, struggled to get into the front passenger seat.

Overall, I have mixed feelings about the MG Comet. Since my daily commute is only 12-13 kilometers one way, I can manage the ride quality by driving slowly over broken patches and potholes. The car has a good AC, and it is cost-effective to run (excluding the cost of the car). I hope that with time, I will become more comfortable without the creep function and the higher A&B pedal position. Additionally, the pickup of the vehicle feels similar to that of a small car, which is more than sufficient for daily city driving.

In terms of battery performance, I noticed that the charge went down from 97% in the evening (I had charged it to 97% at home) to 93% the next morning, even without any lights being left on. I'm unsure if this will be a daily occurrence, so I will continue to monitor it and report to MG if the issue persists.

I would not recommend taking the MG Comet on highways unless it's an emergency and limited to a 30-40 kilometer one-way distance. It is not a comfortable EV for long drives. However, during the test drive, my better half liked it, as she also drives a Venue. She mentioned that the seating and driving experience was comfortable, and she wasn't too concerned about the lack of a creep function. This is why we decided to book the MG Comet.

My request to MG is to please provide a creep function, address the height of the A&B pedals, and offer improved under-thigh support for the front seats.

Thank You.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Comet EV Review-20230704_092540.jpg  

MG Comet EV Review-20230704_103849.jpg  

MG Comet EV Review-20230704_164201.jpg  

MG Comet EV Review-20230704_164213.jpg  

mukeshannamalai is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 8th July 2023, 10:53   #220
BHPian

We test drove the MG Comet a few days ago. It was a prospective ride for my senior citizen mother who used to drive the 2014 i10. She wanted a small automatic car primarily to be used for short drives in and around our neighbourhood. Her first choice was the Nano EV which was never officially released.

We requested the dealer to bring the test drive vehicle home which he did promptly at the time discussed. The car was white Play edition which is the mid variant. The car was clean and well maintained and had temp registration plates on it.

The ingress to the front seat was very convenient for my parents but they disliked the weight of the doors. Since it is a two door car the door is heavier than expected. We also tried sitting in the rear seats., while getting in was not easy, once seated there was enough room for two adults. The tall boy design appealed to us as being very practical with plenty of head room.

The cabin was well lit and lack of an arm rest and gear lever in the front gave a lot of space for the driver and front passenger despite being a very small car.

The lack of a spare tire was concerning to my parents.

The drive was great, smooth and effortless. The lack of power on paper didn't translate to the real world thanks to it being an EV. It was silent, peppy and fuss free. After having driven a manual i10 for a long time my mom was seriously impressed. However when she noticed there was no creep function it dampened her mood.

When we tried to reverse the car we noticed that the mid variant does not have a rear camera which was difficult to digest in a 10 lakh rupee car.

Overall she decided against purchasing the car due to mainly four reasons. The lack of creep function, weight of the doors, lack of spare tire and lack of rear camera (in the mid variant).

For me, personally, three of the above points were not deal breakers. If I needed a small city EV this would have been great. However, lack of a creep function will make life difficult in bumper to bumper traffic, it is in my opinion a big miss for a city car.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2023, 15:49   #221
Senior - BHPian

I don't know the sales number of EVs in my hometown and spot good number of EVs everyday (Nexon, Tiago, Tigor, ZS), but I was not expecting to spot Comet this early. Spotted 1 yesterday and 3 today already. Very very quirky styling and very unique. Wife said it reminded her of Nano and Reva. After seeing it I realized there is a decent market for small EV primarily for city use.

Nano EV, new gen Reva/E2O - real missed chance.
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2023, 15:58   #222
Senior - BHPian

Even I spotted one yesterday in our neighborhood. Such a car has good demand in Bangalore as 2W are not safe for daily office commute, no proper metro connectivity, cannot use 2W as it almost rains 3-4 days in a week from May to Nov.
SKC-auto is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 12:13   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Allow me to share my first experience commuting to and from the office and delve into why I chose a Comet as my preferred EV.
Its been a week since we took the delivery and i am driving this is our daily drive to the office, initially, i had preconceptions about the lack of creep function however it is manageable and has no significant impact on our driving.

I am convinced that I will be able to drive Comet daily within City, everything is becoming easy when we start driving daily, seat comfort, steering, AC, etc

It may not be as comfortable as Tiago in terms of ride quality or seat but for city commute, Comet is turning out to be a fantastic car to drive. in terms of battery range, i get 2KMS per 1% of the drop in battery, I will keep posting my experience as i continue to drive.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 11th July 2023 at 12:15. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
mukeshannamalai is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 14:40   #224
BHPian

Quote:
It may not be as comfortable as Tiago in terms of ride quality or seat but for city commute, Comet is turning out to be a fantastic car to drive. in terms of battery range, i get 2KMS per 1% of the drop in battery, I will keep posting my experience as i continue to drive.
So what were the factors that made you select Comet over the Tiago? Is is mainly the smaller size and better maneuverability or something more?
Old 12th July 2023, 17:23   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wocanak View Post
So what were the factors that made you select Comet over the Tiago? Is is mainly the smaller size and better maneuverability or something more?
Good Question.

1. The design of MG Comet appealed to me due to its unconventional look, making it preferable to me compared to Tiago, which also looks good but doesn't match the appeal of Comet.
2. Considering that I mostly drive alone, having this as a second car is satisfactory. However, it may not be the top choice for someone looking for their primary vehicle unless their focus is solely on city usage.
3. When it comes to quality, fit, and finish my previous ownership experience with a Tata Safari has left me hesitant about choosing another Tata car. I have decided to wait until I am confident about the quality and finishing of their vehicles, especially considering my previous unsatisfactory service experience. For instance, my new Tata Safari arrived with paint on the door beadings, which is unexpected for a car priced at over 25 lakhs.
4. I had a positive experience at the MG dealership, which added to my overall satisfaction.
5. Based on various YouTube reviews regarding Comet battery range, many reviews reported a range between 180-200. In my personal experience of one week, I am achieving approximately 2 kilometers per 1% of battery, which is a commendable range for a city car.

In general, I am currently content with the car. However, as I continue driving it, I will gain a better understanding of its performance and reliability, particularly regarding the battery. It is too early to draw definitive conclusions at this point.
mukeshannamalai is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks