Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2023, 21:49   #106
BHPian

Re: MG Comet EV Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptarchy View Post
I was watching autocar preview on YouTube with wife and we both liked the car until they showed the price. I don’t think anybody is going to compromise so much for a 8lac car, specially when Tiago is available at a similar price point.
May be you are right. But I don't know when we would stop comparing price with size of car. I remember buying Jazz in 2010 at 7.5 lakhs. Everyone around me was saying why buy a small car for so much money. But I still have it and it's quality is matchless.
utkarshgoel is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 22:34   #107
BHPian

I think this is an excellent proposition. I see a number of e2o vehicles in our office parking lot- typically people who commute to the same office location every day (and commute back) and that's it. This will be perfect for that cohort.

In our office parking we even have a few EV charging points. And there lies the nub. . Without support for fast charging, this will be limited ONLY to those who have a dedicated charger in their home/ office and can keep it connected for 5-8 hrs whenever they need to charge it (say once a week). That I suspect will be big limitation as most apartment communities do not allow additional charging points to come up in the parking lot.
Old 30th April 2023, 23:14   #108
BHPian

Looks a case of social media hoax.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Comet EV Review-image_614861cfd3c14e9cae48d3848b4d25e520230430_231348.jpg  

5252rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 10:49   #109
BHPian

Dear Learned members who have good knowledge about tyre upgrade, please suggest if upgrading Comet Tyres & Rim (to Alloy) to 165/55/R13 from existing 145/70/R12 make sense (variation is just 0.77%). Does the wheel well has enough space to put a 13 inches Alloy.

I am waiting for clarity from MG whether existing media drive vehicle is same which is launched at 7.98 lacs or base model will be more stripped down version as compared to media drive car. As of now I feel base model will be same which is available for media drive.

I tried to calculate bill to dealer cost and found that Rs.7.98 ex showroom is very much possible:

400000 Battery cost
250000 Body structure, Lights & other Components & Interior cost
650000 Total ex factory
78000 12% GST
728000 Billed to Dealer
Old 1st May 2023, 14:36   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBabyGo View Post
Dear Learned members who have good knowledge about tyre upgrade, please suggest if upgrading Comet Tyres & Rim (to Alloy) to 165/55/R13 from existing 145/70/R12 make sense (variation is just 0.77%). Does the wheel well has enough space to put a 13 inches Alloy.

I am waiting for clarity from MG whether existing media drive vehicle is same which is launched at 7.98 lacs or base model will be more stripped down version as compared to media drive car. As of now I feel base model will be same which is available for media drive.

I tried to calculate bill to dealer cost and found that Rs.7.98 ex showroom is very much possible:

400000 Battery cost
250000 Body structure, Lights & other Components & Interior cost
650000 Total ex factory
78000 12% GST
728000 Billed to Dealer
I have talked to MG dealership in Lucknow and they have shown me the base variant which does not have smart key, smart start and reverse camera. So yes there will be a base variant which will be priced at 7.98 lakhs. The media drive vehicles were top variant ones.
utkarshgoel is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 15:36   #111
BHPian

The key for base variant looks very much different.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Comet EV Review-img20230501wa0048.jpg  

utkarshgoel is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 09:43   #112
BHPian

Took a test drive of MG Comet on Sunday. Its definitely not a CHEAP car. Everything inside the car looks and feels really good. The drive itself is very good. Obviously at speeds above 80kmph, it doesn't feel comfortable. I think its a very practical car for city commutes. Would definitely recommend this as second/third car. I currently don't have a requirement for 2nd car but if I did, I would definitely buy it.
HappyRider is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 10:52   #113
BHPian

Well, there seems to be a lower variant in the offer. One without steering adjust, single halogen lamp, single display, no rear camera etc called the wuling normal range. I am still hopeful that the one shown in the media drives is priced sanely because the lower variant is compared to tiago and it seemed to have lost it vfm already.

kittigadu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 11:26   #114
BHPian

As most of you are aware I have already booked comet. After reading so many comparison post I decided to visit TATA showroom to check Tiago EV.
Note - I am comparing with the medium range XT model. Which is 10.45 on road Gurgaon.

Pros -
- looks like a proper car
- solid build quality
- Actual Range is 170 km perfect for city driving.
- option of Fast charging which can charge battery in around 3.5 hours (takes half time. Compared to MG comet)
- better Speakers
- proper boot
- proper 5 seater with 4 doors.

Cons -
- interior looks bad with hard quality plastic on doors.
- touch screen system was not working properly even in demo car.
- driver information display had all the info but was missing the wow factor.

Looking at pros and cons TATA seems to be a better car but can still not be used as a primary car due to limited range. Also Tiago will not be bullied as much on road by SUV as Comet will be.

But will I take Tiago answer is No reason are mentioned below-

- Comet interior build and finish quality gives you a wow feeling while driving.
- I already have Audi A4 for my long commutes and need a small car for my daily run to office.
- I need a two seater max as I drive to office alone.

Others need might be different so they might pick Tiago.
Manuggn is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 16:30   #115
BHPian

I wonder why someone would want to buy a 3rd, 4th or 5th car at this price. It is clearly overpriced for a two door impractical car with quite a few limitations pointed out by fellow TBHP'ians here.

For just 70k+ more, the Tiago EV is a no-brainer.

End of the day, Indians are increasingly aware of what products are on the offer in the Auto market. To a majority of them what matters in a car purchase is a decent score in the crash test.(Somehow Maruti seems to be an exception here. :-), for reasons well known to most of us here I guess.

To me, as a person who owned a Tata Nano in the past, I really miss it. I would any day go for it in the EV avatar given decent crash test ratings i.e, if I really need a 2nd car.
Cuatro is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 23:49   #116
BANNED

Not a fan of this car but,.. I am just in love with its key-fob (top-end model's). That white square thing with inward sloping surface looks like a tiny pillow. Or, like an ivory decorative talisman on a mantlepiece in a 19th century Victorian Home. Methinks MG should sell dummies of these key-fobs as trinkets.

https://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/202...omet-ev-38.jpg
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 10:18   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Not sure if the youth MG targets will like this, but then maybe I am too old to relate to their taste. IMHO this one will probably appeal only to folks who want a 2nd car strictly for city/office commute. S

Wonder what was the sample size and demographic for this survey. Infact 70% or even more car owning households in India usually have a 1 car garage and boot space is as important as seating space for 4/5 adults. But yeah if this is going to be only a 2nd car, boot space is not primary requirement.
I am in Market for a second Car for my better-half, but she wouldn't even consider this.

My take is

1. Ladies in NCR prefer to have SUVs for obvious reasons of safety and security. If not they would rather go for a tried and tested second-hand car instead of splurging 8.0 lakh in the name of practicality but in reality a compromise of a car.

2. 18-26 Age group : this demographic segment may not be want to seen with a cheap car. A proper car is bottom line for this segment, a high end big brand car is the car of choice though. Since this segment doesn't have excess money, not sure whether they will add to sales-numbers.

3. for 40-55 age Office-Goers group: most likely this is the age group which will find merit with this type of car (after having run with a stick-car in city traffic) but splurging 8.0 lakh for this compromise will be difficult to digest with their family members. This group would not make a decision on their Own and family members would weigh in as well so again no addition to sales numbers.

For me this looks like either just a technology-demonstrator (not needed as they already have ZS) or a product launch for Pure-publicity purposes and I suspect it is later to attract more customers to SR and sell them ZS-Petrol which is much better value for money.
anu21v is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 20:36   #118
BHPian

This car will end up as a rich man's toy.

Why?

1. For Rs 7.98 lakh, you are not getting the car we all are seeing now.
2. The fully loaded variant will be over Rs 10 lakh OTR.
3. The Tata Tiago .EV is a proper car and is priced at a spitting distance.
4. I guess even MG don't want to sell the car in significant numbers.
5. Customers will be put off seeing the car they are actually getting for 9 lakh OTR ( 7.98 lakh ex-showroom)
6. A modern autorickshaw look!
Silver Knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 08:40   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post

Driving the MG Comet EV

Powering the rear wheels of the MG Comet EV is a permanent magnet synchronous motor that puts out 41 BHP and 110 Nm:
Thanks for the detailed review. I have a doubt - the motor shown in the picture seems to be the bottom most component of the car. If one of the wheels goes down a deep pothole, the car could bottom out and damage the motor. This could make the car unusable.
I've not particularly noticed the underbody of EVs. Is this a Budget constraint or a general design principle?

Apologies if my understanding is incorrect.
Old 5th May 2023, 12:20   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

MG Comet variant lineup and prices revealed.

Three variants on offer: Pace, Play and Plush.

MG Comet EV Review-20230505_122006.jpg

MG Comet EV Review-20230505_122012.jpg

MG Comet EV Review-20230505_122015.jpg

Bookings for will open on May 15, and deliveries will commence from May 22, in a phased manner.

MG Comet EV Review-20230505_122344.jpg

The ownership package brings a 3 year/1 lakh km vehicle warranty, and an 8 year/1.2 lakh km battery warranty.

MG Comet EV Review-20230505_122322.jpg

MG will offer 60 percent of the Comet's ex-showroom price (after 3 years of ownership) under the buyback plan.

MG Comet EV Review-20230505_122327.jpg

Using the 'Track and Trace' function, buyers of the MG Comet will be able to follow their vehicle's journey from production to delivery.

MG Comet EV Review-20230505_122337.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 5th May 2023 at 12:36.
Venkatesh is offline   (30) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks