Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2023, 01:45   #46
Deo
BHPian

Re: MG Comet EV Review

Only if we also had an award like "Best Car in a Supporting Role" this would win it hands down.

Jokes apart though, wouldn't it make a great case for Ola Mini & such, if one is able to take out the front passenger seat? The small cabs are usually hailed by 1 - 2 passengers with shopping bags and such. With the front seat removed, one can easily access the back seat for sitting and keep the shopping bag etc. in the front. Running costs would be cheap, and a day shift within city should be within manageable range, no? I am referring to Xpresso / WagonR / Celerio cabs.
Deo is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 01:53   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post

This 'thingy' is truly right up there, sales numbers be Dammed! This will set the bar high for so many lesser noticed things in a Desi Car.
+1.

I was there for the media drives, and I spent a good number of hours inside this.
All the time I was behind the wheel, I was smiling and I was super impressed with the overall package.

One really needs to get inside before making sweeping statements.

If I was looking at a city-only car, this would have been my top pick. I need no more space than this, for just commuting.
parrys is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 06:49   #48
BHPian

I think that many people will be put off by the quirky and over zealous styling.

Maximum people don’t want to stick out like a sore thumb on the streets. Just look at the number of bright red or yellow cars you spot on the roads in a sea of white and Greys.

Still I feel that the looks of the car can be immensely improved by increasing the tire size. Attaching an edited pic from our review for reference :-

BEFORE
MG Comet EV Review-img_1007.jpeg

AFTER
MG Comet EV Review-img_3560.jpeg
gaurav_3000ad is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 07:41   #49
BHPian

This car is made to look quirky for no reason, the design elements don't add any value other than some extra headroom. Frankly, it looks like an upgraded Golf cart, while it dint really have to look that way. As far as I know, at the moment Indians love conventional looking cars, would be a miracle if this becomes a success.
Old 28th April 2023, 07:52   #50
BHPian

This car is marginally more expensive than the top end wagon R which was quirky enough, but we’ve all accepted it. This seems like a better designed and better finished product than WagonR or any of the cars in that price bracket. I think it will move slowly but will eventually catch up provided the Electricals are solid. A 200km range is good enough for delhi NCR also considering that it can be charged from a normal 15.00 amp socket.
Old 28th April 2023, 07:56   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

MG Comet EV Review-7js3ap.jpg

If the Comet sells then, it'll reward MG for being bold and signal that the Indian car buyer is showing signs of getting mature and adventurous.

Comparisons to the Nano and Reva may be relevant for certain demographics. However, what if the target audience isn't from that demography? Their notions on car ownership, social status and individuality may be different. There could be people who want to stand-out from the crowd without paying a premium for purchase/operating expenses and parking!

Last edited by kiku007 : 28th April 2023 at 07:57.
kiku007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 09:29   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't mind the styling. Reminds me of the Toyota Pod concept that I loved as a child.. It is a city car. Period. Smaller the better, when today even small cars have become bloated or sport bodylines that are bulging with no use other than styling. This is a good choice of inner cities, Tier II,III cities and rural areas. Only real concern is that underbody. The motor, cables all look super exposed.

Don't see myself buying this ever for various other unrelated to automotive reasons. But I do wish for this to be a good seller, or even be a sales success.

Why?

Just so that Mahindra gets its ass up and launch the Atom ASAP!!! Just so that Bajaj gets their groggy head cleared up and put a motor and some batteries in the RE60!!!

Ofcourse, we can say the same about TATA, but we are never going to see the Nano again. Best, TATA will do is to decrease the Tiago.EV price or launch an even cheaper T/U/V Xpress variant. BTW, what is stopping Mahindra from launching the E2o again, as a quadricycle?
DicKy is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 09:53   #53
BHPian

I like it for the quirkiness and the tech it offers but at the same time what I fear is, is the software. We all know how the android phones from the BBK Electronics group function it is perfectly fine for the first year or two but then it starts showing all the issues. I seriously don't want my car to get stranded say at Silk Board junction because of a bug in the software or battery overheating.
puntra800 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 10:10   #54
BHPian

I wonder what made MG management launch THIS car in India.
As per Autocar, SUV-ish version based on this car is in the pipeline and will be launched by 2025.
That would have made more sense as it addresses the main issue with this car i.e. quirky looks.
I know the other car will still be un-proportionate in dimensions but still will looks a little better than this contraption.
Old 28th April 2023, 10:30   #55
BANNED

Quirky is the least of the problems with this car. Where did they get the idea Indians don't carry luggage? This car won't even work for dropping your visiting relatives at the airport. Or shopping with a family of 4. Plus the lack of fast charging rules out outstation trips (otherwise it could do, eg, Chennai-Puduchery without a break, Chennai-Bangalore with 1 or 2 charging breaks.)

They have priced it lower than previously reported, but for ₹77,000 extra you can get a roomier Tiago EV with similar range, for about ₹1.5L extra a Tiago EV with extended range.

This car would have made sense in the days when Mahindra E2O was the only option. It will still have buyers who have money and want a 2nd or 3rd car. But if they had just added some boot space and fast charging, for maybe 1L extra, this could have been the best small car in India.
Old 28th April 2023, 10:48   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
For a city car having these many cables and components be exposed in this way is gross negligence.
And on top of that having an expensive motor attached with easily accessible mounts isn't very theft safe. I hope there is something more to it than the visible bolts. Not sure how other manufacturers have done it.

Last edited by shancz : 28th April 2023 at 10:48. Reason: grm
shancz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 10:54   #57
BHPian

A great review of not so great looking car.
Zero boot space with all the seats up. You’ll have to fold the rear seats if you want to carry any luggage
Surprising to say the least. This could be deal breaker for many. I mean, if I want to drop guests to Railway station/bus stop/Airport, how am I suppose to do it with their luggage? And these are all city applications. Nano missed this big time & so does Comet.
speedguy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 10:56   #58

Do we have any survey which shows how many of the car owners can afford a second car.
Few cons even if it is used as a second car.
1. Almost zero boot. Many a times we go shopping with family( wife n kids ), we require at least a usable boot with groceries/shopping bags.
2. As per video reviews, the way it is unsettling over bumps and potholes is a let down. Seems not designed for our roads.
3. Though city commutes are short, but we would like to be seated comfortably (less under thigh support and hard seats) at rear seats . It will be more prominent during traffic jams.

If a city has good taxi service, then I would be happy to take a taxi over this car. You don't need to drive, can relax at the rear, no issues of parking.
Uqaab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 11:19   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedguy View Post
A great review of not so great looking car.
Zero boot space with all the seats up. You’ll have to fold the rear seats if you want to carry any luggage
Surprising to say the least. This could be deal breaker for many. I mean, if I want to drop guests to Railway station/bus stop/Airport, how am I suppose to do it with their luggage? And these are all city applications. Nano missed this big time & so does Comet.
The MG Comet is for those who already have 1-2 cars. I find the Tata Tiago EV a far better bet as a city car. The Comet is for those kind of people who have say a luxury car and want something funky to commute.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 11:22   #60
BHPian

Funkiness, build quality and all else not withstanding, this is never going to sell in any serious numbers. I dont know what kind of market survey MG did but I'm sure they know this 100%. With the current pricing and especially if the 8L pricing is for the barebones version, this doesnt stand a chance in front of the Tiago EV.

High income households may keep this as a stylish 2nd or 3rd city car as a style statement or for supermarket runs (or will they? - given the miniscule boot size) but beyond this it doesn't make sense to buy this. Zero boot, 80kmph limit, 2 door, 41 bhp, no fast charging, 12inch wheels, there are way too many compromises for an average Indian buyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo View Post
Jokes apart though, wouldn't it make a great case for Ola Mini & such, if one is able to take out the front passenger seat? The small cabs are usually hailed by 1 - 2 passengers with shopping bags and such. With the front seat removed, one can easily access the back seat for sitting and keep the shopping bag etc. in the front. Running costs would be cheap, and a day shift within city should be within manageable range, no? I am referring to Xpresso / WagonR / Celerio cabs.
Yes, this is probably a good use case for the barebones version I guess.
ar@v1nd is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks