Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2023, 12:55   #16
BHPian

Re: MG Comet EV Review

I really like the quirky design approach and the sense of quality inside the cabin. The 8 lakh price tag is quite decent considering the placement of the product but I would reserve my comments until I see the car in person.

One thing that irks me is the 80 kmph speed limit where as the same car in its international reviews has a 105 kmph limit if i'm not mistaken.

I really hope Tata fires up the Nano EV project. It's got four proper seats and even after 8 years with GenX and 12 years in total with a Nano, I really love the small footprit and ease and fun of driving it. With an EV, with a better put up interior, it can be a super tempting car!
freakmuzik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 13:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

As a MG ZS EV owner, I just hate the Comet EV. It has all the drawbacks of E2O EV which made me sell it in 2 years. I don't understand why MG made the same mistake Mahindra did with this car.

I know it is a city car, but these five major drawbacks that will make it a no-go for me.
1. Lack of fast charging option
2. Limited top speed of 80KMPH.
3. 12" wheels.
4. Lack of boot space
5. No spare tyre

This is just a well built, feature rich E2O, nothing else. I will get Tiago EV blindly over this.
speedmiester is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 13:01   #18
KPR
BANNED

If commute is within city still I will still buy a petrol car like Alto and enjoy the boot space, perfect dimensions and chiller AC. Who knows about battery replacement costs in say 5 years from now?! Those associated with net zero emissions aren't there in business for charity or to do a favour for my money.
KPR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 13:08   #19
Senior - BHPian

Nice funky car. But at 80K more, the Tiago EV makes tremendous sense.

1. More driving range.
2. 4 doors and a usable boot.
3. 4-star GNCAP safety rating.
4. Spacious interiors.
To top it all,
5. Choice of AC/DC/fast charging that allows you to take it to the highway.

The MG Comet could be a 2nd or 3rd car at best, but never the primary one.
discoverwild is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 13:23   #20
BHPian

In all honesty, how much ever this car shouts practicality, you can't sell an 8 lakhs, Auto looking 2 door hatch in India. Period!

And more-so, MG has marketed this car as a funky looking car for the urban youth (atleast that's what is evident from the fliers), that segment will not touch that car. Tiago.ev will be a more practical choice anyday.

It could very well be just a marketing campaign by MG and even they would know that this won't fly, but it will give them enough publicity and ensure they are in the news.

A whatsapp forward had a very nice take on this - Some gokulam motors released an advertisement for Tiago.ev with a punchline: Buy a CAR, not a CARtoon. Don't know the authenticity of that advertisement but the tagline is very apt.

Tata - get the Nano.ev !!!
justwheels is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 13:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
Top speed is limited to 80 km/h
Are you sure of this? I just saw a video review of Faisal Khan, wherein he drives it at 106 and claims that this is the top speed. It went quite briskly till 90 kph, after which the progress was average (still better than tiago petrol and the likes)
07CR is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 13:34   #22
BHPian

Quote:
The MG Comet EV’s battery pack capacity is 17.3 kWh which means that it will need ~17 units of electricity for a full charge. The per-unit cost of electricity depends on the slab that you are in & your location, but on average, it’s about Rs. 8 per unit. This translates to ~ Rs. 136 to charge the Comet EV to 100%. MG claims a range of 230 km and a realistic number would be somewhere around 160 km. That’s roughly Rs. 1.2 per km which is an impressive number.
The math here is incorrect. It should work out to be Rs.0.85 per km (=136/160).
Perhaps mods were thinking of km per Rupee (in which case it works out to be 1.2 km/Rs).
srvm is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 13:48   #23
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if the youth MG targets will like this, but then maybe I am too old to relate to their taste. IMHO this one will probably appeal only to folks who want a 2nd car strictly for city/office commute. Somehow gives Mahindra E2O/Reva vibes. Personally I would happily pick up a Tiago EV over this any day.

Quote:
MG claims that according to one of their surveys, 70% of Indians travel solo in their cars and the boot space isn’t really that much of a priority for them. So, in the case with the Comet, there’s almost no boot space with the rear seats in place.
Wonder what was the sample size and demographic for this survey. Infact 70% or even more car owning households in India usually have a 1 car garage and boot space is as important as seating space for 4/5 adults. But yeah if this is going to be only a 2nd car, boot space is not primary requirement.

Last edited by SoumenD : 27th April 2023 at 13:56.
SoumenD is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 13:58   #24

It's an interesting little car. i agree with GTO this is a very good 2nd or 3rd car. But as primary car Tata Tiago offerings are much better. with four doors, a decent boot and Fast charging capability.

With a bit of planning, we can easily do 400 Kms Highway runs in a day with Tiago. Even though it is a city car.
MrMcqueen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 14:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

Pardon me in case anyone has already mentioned this but it has been cleared by MG India that 8 lacs is the price for a strip down variant.

The loaded variant which is being tested by Auto Journos will be expensive, it will be around 11 lacs, the final prices will be announced in May sometime.
BANDHAV is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 14:43   #26
BHPian

Here is my take on the Comet EV (personal opinion):
  • Love the interiors : The colour and the feel are very Apple-esque and look very premium. Has the right mix of shades and provides a very airy interior feel for such a small car.

• Not much to love on the exterior: Too boxy. Not enough curves that can make it go easy on the eye; MG could have borrowed some design cues from the Nano. The design might grow on me, or maybe my eyes will just have to adjust to the look over time.

• Pricing and Drive: The pricing looks fine to me; some people might feel Tata provides a better value-for-money, but I feel their EV portfolio lacks the 'EV zing' that cars like Kia EV6, Hyundai Ioniq or the Tesla have.

On the drive, will need to validate how that knob works -
    I have small kids, and need to understand what will happen if they tinker and change the knob to R (reverse) while I am in Drive (D). Will the car suddenly go in reverse , or stall, or will something break?

All in all, I feel it is a good car for someone like me who wants it as a 2nd /3rd car to do city runs, and wants to test out the EV ownership experience, but doesnt want to spend a lot on it.
nishsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 14:51   #27
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the detailed review. A few queries from my side.
Where exactly is the battery pack located? The E brochure at MG website gives the impression it is under the front seats. Is there any info about how it gets cooling? Asking because we had a lot of discussion regarding this in the Citroen EV thread. Also, is there a mode where it is possible to operate the AC or the ICE without turning on the motor? Is there a spare key? Any info regarding the variants or is it just one variant? Any particular reason why only the driver side seat gets the metal hook/grab handle?

Last edited by Night Raven : 27th April 2023 at 14:56.
Old 27th April 2023, 15:26   #28
Senior - BHPian

MG and Tata EVs Advertising war.

MG Comet EV Review-mgcometvstatatiagoev71125x1125.jpg

Quote:
In response, the ongoing banter now positions the Comet as a new, modern, and technologically advanced option.
MG Comet EV Review-mgcometvstatatiagoev51068x1068.jpg

MG Comet EV Review-mgcometvstatatiagoev21068x1068.jpg

MG Comet EV Review-mgcometvstatatiagoev31068x1068.jpg

MG Comet EV Review-mgcometvstatatiagoev41068x1068.jpg

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 27th April 2023 at 15:30.
Venkatesh is offline   (86) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 15:42   #29
BHPian

Quote:

Charging

The MG Comet EV’s battery capacity is 17.3 kWh. It’s an LFP (lithium ferro-phosphate) type lithium-ion battery. With a 3.3 kW AC home charger, the battery can be charged from 10-80% in approximately 5 hours. For 0-100% charging, the time would be approximately 7 hours. This is the only charging option available with the Comet. It doesn’t support fast AC charging, nor does it support DC fast charging. So, at the end of the day, you will have to charge it at home itself. Faster charging options should’ve been made available.
Back then in 2018, I too felt weird about the Ignis (particularly its back) initially, found it hard to ignore the value proposition on offer, bought it and loving it since then. I like the quirky looks of the Comet, but my son (soon to be 18) gave it a pass.

IMO, a very practical aspect has been ignored on charging. For people living in apartments and can't have an infra (like a sub-meter) for AC charging, there isn't an ideal solution. I live in an apartment complex that has couple of commercial fast charging points, but there is no permission to setup individual charging points, neither in the basement or the surface. One can't leave it for 8 hours in a common charging station.

The targeted demographic is likely to be living in apartments and not in individual houses. It is a different thing if they live in Villas, but those aren't seriously considering the Comet !!

Last edited by haribalram : 27th April 2023 at 16:11. Reason: Removed heading
haribalram is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 15:50   #30
BHPian

The car has an Apple iPhone feel to it all around, thanks to the design elements and the color pallet. However, good quality build and interiors not withstanding, a more futuristic macho styling would’ve helped matters.

Indian consumers hate spending decent car money on anything that looks like an auto rickshaw or a golf cart with a custom body. Market examples include Maini Reva / Mahindra E2O, Tata Nano, and the Bajaj Qute (not a car as per Govt.). I sincerely doubt if this will even outsell the MG Gloster.
Miel is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks