Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2021, 21:12   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

The Smartphone Photography Thread

Many may argue iPhone may not have introduced any radical features in each of it's upgrades but, they always make sure to really upgrade their cameras and each version of their phones camera quality has improved tremendously over the years and has eliminated the need to carry/own a DSLR from a hobbyist perspective.

iPhone pictures are great for our normal day-to-day life pictures and for these limited purposes (Viewing on TV screens, Digital Photo Frames, Large/Small family
pictures to be hung on walls at home etc) their quality is outstanding

I'm a hobbyist and like to click pictures now and and keep clicking pictures of everything that is beautiful (Nature, Wildlife, Food, Auto etc) and was surprised to see there are several channels that teach iPhone photography (Some are free and some at a price)

I particularly like this guy, his explanation is clear and simple and the way he speaks is soothing on the nerves

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1Q...tqQjKFZgz8JAPg

Coming back to this thread. I searched and found there are no threads dedicated for smartphone photography where people with similar hobby can share pictures they clicked using their phones

Simple Rules of this thread

1. Post pictures clicked from your smartphone
2. Productive and polite discussions on quality, composition and other feedback
2. Do share model name if possible
3. Share some description of the picture, if possible
4. Finally location details, if you'd like to

Sharing a few pictures taken with my iPhone 12 Promax to kick-start this thread and hope to see some of you sharing your pictures too

While I'm super impressed with 12promax picture taking abilities, where it actually shines is in night photography as some of these pictures were taken in complete dark conditions and all hand-held (some were passing shots from a moving car)
Attached Thumbnails
The Smartphone Photography Thread-aab62565e6c942b3a250f2adebad6782.jpg  

The Smartphone Photography Thread-img_7779.jpg  

The Smartphone Photography Thread-img_7150.jpg  

The Smartphone Photography Thread-fullsizerender-2.jpg  

The Smartphone Photography Thread-fullsizerender.jpg  

The Smartphone Photography Thread-img_3919.jpg  

The Smartphone Photography Thread-img_1601.jpg  

The Smartphone Photography Thread-img_3677.jpg  

The Smartphone Photography Thread-img_3859.jpg  

The Smartphone Photography Thread-img_4028.jpg  

The Smartphone Photography Thread-img_4036.jpg  

The Smartphone Photography Thread-img_4042.jpg  

The Smartphone Photography Thread-img_5139.jpg  

The Smartphone Photography Thread-img_9198.jpg  

The Smartphone Photography Thread-img_5763.jpg  

The Smartphone Photography Thread-img_6125.jpg  

The Smartphone Photography Thread-img_6498.jpg  

The Smartphone Photography Thread-img_6609.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 8th March 2021 at 14:29. Reason: Let's allow pics from all smartphones :). Thank you
Old 8th March 2021, 07:36   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Smartphone Photography Thread

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Old 8th March 2021, 08:55   #3
BHPian

Great thread and some pretty awesome photographs. Here are a few of mine.

Phone used One Plus 7T

The Smartphone Photography Thread-img_20200724_124031_021.jpg

The Smartphone Photography Thread-img_20200610_192836.jpg

The Smartphone Photography Thread-00.jpg

The Smartphone Photography Thread-img_20201016_184945_970.jpg

The Smartphone Photography Thread-img_20210220_175718__01.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 9th March 2021 at 06:19. Reason: Fixing image
Old 8th March 2021, 09:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Though the title of the thread may mislead a wee bit, I believe there is definitely an opportunity here to discuss 'Computational Photography' which has dramatically changed and is affecting the entire photography ecosystem.
I'm ambivalent though since for me, it has taken the joy out of photography to a large extent. :/
Old 8th March 2021, 12:18   #5
BHPian

Captured from my IPhone X.
Attached Thumbnails
The Smartphone Photography Thread-827cc8ac2492484fa86ad8ef4217097a.jpeg  

The Smartphone Photography Thread-ad201396536347adbf71c06266db6514.jpeg  

Old 8th March 2021, 12:32   #6
BHPian

I agree that for everyday spontaneous and casual photos, phones do work great. Specially the flagships. Samsung's camera never disappointed me in that aspect. However, the fun and flexibility in editing RAW images from a DSLR is unmatched.

The little sensors of phones can never compete against the huge monster size sensors of DSLRs when it comes to pixel peeping.

Samsung's pro mode gives relatively lot of flexibility for the user to choose aperture, shutter speed, ISO and focus point. I love

However, for our non professional use, phones are great. Here are a few pics from my phone. I only cropped them and no color correction was done. The Smartphone Photography Thread-20210308_122334.jpg

The Smartphone Photography Thread-20210308_122317.jpg

The Smartphone Photography Thread-20210308_122253.jpg

The Smartphone Photography Thread-20210308_122223.jpg

The Smartphone Photography Thread-20210308_122202.jpg

The Smartphone Photography Thread-20210308_122140.jpg

The Smartphone Photography Thread-20210308_122003.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 8th March 2021 at 14:30. Reason: All phones allowed :)
Old 8th March 2021, 12:36   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The phone you have in your pocket is better than the camera at home is what I have learned, so whatever camera will do.

Pics from Poco F1 running GCAM, phone does not have OIS.

The Smartphone Photography Thread-img_20210208_195017-1.jpg

The Smartphone Photography Thread-mvimg_20210101_17322701.jpeg

The Smartphone Photography Thread-img_20200126_17355601.jpeg

The Smartphone Photography Thread-img_20191228_202820.jpg
Old 8th March 2021, 13:16   #8
BHPian

iPhone, Flagship — what are y’all talking about? Just like film/DSLR/point-shoot camera days are gone, so are the days of flagship cameras - sooner than you thought they would. You don’t need to be on an overpriced flagship phone to get good photos.

Sub 10k android phones take good-enough (if not great) photos too — provided you have Snapseed and Google Camera.

The Smartphone Photography Thread-3d3c7322acd94690873931beb2eecb4e.jpeg

The Smartphone Photography Thread-08a0dbf0a81b48eea9c6e9e4e61b4008.jpeg

The Smartphone Photography Thread-c6b9c1b2a76f402198ed72588adfdaf1.jpeg

The Smartphone Photography Thread-0d0bfcceddf142c7894e5731a1f535aa.jpeg

The Smartphone Photography Thread-1470d4559e4b4926b037215b5e4140f3.jpeg

The Smartphone Photography Thread-d7cc61372ab64d9d811db7b6c07675ef.jpeg

The Smartphone Photography Thread-117f33e6294542f3ababa17a25cbd51d.jpeg

The Smartphone Photography Thread-18b93b7931784ea4ae9238605b0c3a02.jpeg

You can add more “masala” with a VSCO/Instagram filter.

Last edited by EightSix : 8th March 2021 at 13:24.
Old 8th March 2021, 14:23   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Great initiative. Phone cameras have undoubtedly made a huge impact on photography and the number of people taking images.

I recently got my iPhone 12 Pro. I take quite a few images on my phone, as many do. I am also a keen amateur photographer. But for me a (smart) phone is just not a replacement of my camera kit. Bear with me, because I don’t even own a DSLR, never have. I don’t believe in these endless debates about better/more pixels, sensor etc. I am a licentiate of the Royal Photographic Society and about to go for Associate status, all without ever owning or even using a DSLR.

When it comes to photography there are only two criteria I find relevant:

1) Are you enjoying what you are doing?
2) Are you happy with your images?

There is also a third criteria which might not apply to everybody. Are you wanting to improve your photography and if so succeeding. Very personal and very different on how people take it forward, if they do so desire.

In the end, when it comes to result the image itself speaks, not the camera, the kit, the pixels or anything. These days in competition photography/contest you can see quite the number of images made on smart phones. We organised a local exhibition of the Dutch RPS chapter last year. Two out of the 26 images were taken by a smart phone. One of them was picked as the best shot by the audience over a six week period where people visiting our exhibition could vote! So it is really the end result what counts.

Every camera, including phones comes with certain limitations. As long as you know how to work with those, it doesn’t really matter at all how many pixels, what focal length, what sensor, what lens.

Whereas my iPhone is great for taking snaps on the go, I just prefer my regular kit when I go out for a particular project. I just like fiddling with my camera, lenses, filters, tripod etc. This is my biggest problem with any camera phone. I just don’t like the way it handles. Even after all these years and thousands of shots, I still don’t like shooting with a phone. It never feels right.

In that respect I even prefer a good compact camera over my iPhone. I like a bit of real camera feel. Mind you I can do without the size and the weight of your typical DSLR kit, one of the reason I don’t own a DSLR.

My camara has a touch screen, but I never ever use it. I am a strictly, rotating rings, buttons and lever man (yes my camera has a lever too!).

Good luck with your photography.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 8th March 2021 at 14:25.
Old 8th March 2021, 14:28   #10
BHPian

Used S21 Ultra for our recent Kashmir trip. All pics below are unedited and in auto mode except a couple which were only cropped.

Beautiful view before arriving at Srinagar
The Smartphone Photography Thread-20210224_140539.jpg

Gulmarg Phase 1
The Smartphone Photography Thread-20210225_130005.jpg

The Smartphone Photography Thread-20210225_142752.jpg

Heavy snowfall on our last day in Gulmarg
The Smartphone Photography Thread-20210227_091931.jpg

Aru Valley
The Smartphone Photography Thread-20210228_231341.jpg

Pahalgam
The Smartphone Photography Thread-20210228_233300.jpg

Dal lake and a boat shop
The Smartphone Photography Thread-20210301_181146.jpg

The Smartphone Photography Thread-20210301_163545.jpg

Beautiful view again as we leave Kashmir
The Smartphone Photography Thread-20210308_142130.jpg

Last edited by AnandB : 8th March 2021 at 14:33.
Old 8th March 2021, 14:29   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Pics from all smartphones are allowed on this thread. Thank you!
Old 8th March 2021, 15:54   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I don’t think you can tell from an image what phone, or camera for that matter, was used. You need the original file or very specific analytical image equipment. (camera’s / lenses have unique flaws that can be spotted).

Image aspect ratio is/could be different, but easily changed in any editing program, including editing apps on the very same (smart) phone.

But for all intents and purposes, we just have to trust all images in this thread are taken on (smart) phones.

If you search for this very topic you will get stuck in qualitative aspects of the image phone versus camera. Again, using any photographic device well, tends to be, amongst other things, be aware about limitations.

Poor images have been taken on any photographic device, for as long we have had camera’s.

Jeroen
Old 8th March 2021, 22:50   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonderful to see the updates on this thread and posts of some lovely pictures by all members. Keep them coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Though the title of the thread may mislead a wee bit, I believe there is definitely an opportunity here to discuss 'Computational Photography' which has dramatically changed and is affecting the entire photography ecosystem.
I'm ambivalent though since for me, it has taken the joy out of photography to a large extent.
Thread is updated for contributions from all phones. I'm curious to know why you think the joy has been taken out of the photography?

Yeah we can discuss all aspects of computational photography and how it effects the pictures we take. For example most of the flagship phones now come with HDR and that has truly improved the image quality to a large extent. I know for a fact that iPhones have tremendously improved in this aspect and now latest models don't even give you the option to select between multiple images as they are so confident that each and every time their HDR will work spot on

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisailendra View Post
I agree that for everyday spontaneous and casual photos, phones do work great. Specially the flagships. Samsung's camera never disappointed me in that aspect. However, the fun and flexibility in editing RAW images from a DSLR is unmatched.

The little sensors of phones can never compete against the huge monster size sensors of DSLRs when it comes to pixel peeping.

Samsung's pro mode gives relatively lot of flexibility for the user to choose aperture, shutter speed, ISO and focus point. I love

However, for our non professional use, phones are great. Here are a few pics from my phone. I only cropped them and no color correction was done.
RAW is now introduced in iPhone 12 Promax. I assume it should be there on the Samsung flagships as well. This brings the phone photography even closer to DSLR levels as it gives the photographer the same flexibility to play around with a lot more details of a picture than before

While I am not into that level of editing and that was primarily the reason for my camera equipment getting wasted as editing has never been my forte

I use the phone camera app for some basic editing to images (Crop, Tune and Shadows). I try to stay away from saturation as iPhone pictures naturally are quite vivid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
The phone you have in your pocket is better than the camera at home is what I have learned, so whatever camera will do.
Exactly the reason for me to create this thread. Phone in pocket is a great instrument to just snap it out and capture what you think might make an interesting image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Great initiative. Phone cameras have undoubtedly made a huge impact on photography and the number of people taking images.

I recently got my iPhone 12 Pro. I take quite a few images on my phone, as many do. I am also a keen amateur photographer. But for me a (smart) phone is just not a replacement of my camera kit. Bear with me, because I don’t even own a DSLR, never have. I don’t believe in these endless debates about better/more pixels, sensor etc. I am a licentiate of the Royal Photographic Society and about to go for Associate status, all without ever owning or even using a DSLR.

When it comes to photography there are only two criteria I find relevant:

1) Are you enjoying what you are doing?
2) Are you happy with your images?

There is also a third criteria which might not apply to everybody. Are you wanting to improve your photography and if so succeeding. Very personal and very different on how people take it forward, if they do so desire.

In the end, when it comes to result the image itself speaks, not the camera, the kit, the pixels or anything. These days in competition photography/contest you can see quite the number of images made on smart phones. We organised a local exhibition of the Dutch RPS chapter last year. Two out of the 26 images were taken by a smart phone. One of them was picked as the best shot by the audience over a six week period where people visiting our exhibition could vote! So it is really the end result what counts.

Every camera, including phones comes with certain limitations. As long as you know how to work with those, it doesn’t really matter at all how many pixels, what focal length, what sensor, what lens.

Whereas my iPhone is great for taking snaps on the go, I just prefer my regular kit when I go out for a particular project. I just like fiddling with my camera, lenses, filters, tripod etc. This is my biggest problem with any camera phone. I just don’t like the way it handles. Even after all these years and thousands of shots, I still don’t like shooting with a phone. It never feels right.

In that respect I even prefer a good compact camera over my iPhone. I like a bit of real camera feel. Mind you I can do without the size and the weight of your typical DSLR kit, one of the reason I don’t own a DSLR.

My camara has a touch screen, but I never ever use it. I am a strictly, rotating rings, buttons and lever man (yes my camera has a lever too!).

Good luck with your photography.

Jeroen
Thanks Jeroen. I totally agree the phones cannot completely replace DSLR/Mirrorless especially if it's for a special project as that offers lot more flexibility for interchangeable lens apart from their overall quality

What you mentioned about the photography exhibition is quite interesting. It would be great if you can share those pictures here or a link of same to check phone vs. DSLR pictures and see how close or far apart they are to each other

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks for the update GTO. It didn't strike me that I should have mentioned it as smartphone photography thread instead of a specific brand/model

Looking forward to some great discussions on photography so all of us can continue to learn and take better pictures with our phones
Old 9th March 2021, 00:01   #14
BHPian

I love photography, be it mobile or DSLR.

I'd agree that mobile phones are handy but they never come close to a proper camera's image quality, especially for print.

However beautiful Monica Bellucci maybe, she always puts on makeup before coming in front of the world, therefore I use the same logic for my photos. I do not leave any shot unedited. There's always some addition/subtraction in post. Snapseed, Lightroom are mainly used on phone.

Here are a few shots from my side.

OnePlus 3

A bokeh outside a local church on Christmas.

The Smartphone Photography Thread-christmas-church.jpeg

An in-flight shot from above Doha.

The Smartphone Photography Thread-doha.jpeg

A view around Mooresville.

The Smartphone Photography Thread-lowes-mooresville.jpeg

Mustang in snow.

The Smartphone Photography Thread-mustang-front-snow.jpeg

The Smartphone Photography Thread-mustang-snow-small.jpg

Mustang in rain along the greatest driving road in USA.

The Smartphone Photography Thread-mustang-rain-small.jpg

OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren

Jungles along WB-OD-JH border, after a light shower.

The Smartphone Photography Thread-3-state-border.jpeg

Abarth 500 scale model.

The Smartphone Photography Thread-abarth-scale.jpeg

Enroute Goa.

The Smartphone Photography Thread-bellissa-goa.jpeg

Few big machines (wide-angle distortion can easily be seen)

The Smartphone Photography Thread-big-machines.jpeg

Hirekolale lake, Chikmagalur.

The Smartphone Photography Thread-chikmagalur.jpeg

Gym + Bakery, all in one; a night-shot.

The Smartphone Photography Thread-gym-night.jpeg

Enroute Hyderabad.

The Smartphone Photography Thread-ninja.jpeg

Sunset in style!

The Smartphone Photography Thread-sunset.jpeg

Night-shot of Vidhana Soudha.

The Smartphone Photography Thread-vidhana-soudha.jpeg

A random water droplet.

The Smartphone Photography Thread-water-droplet.jpeg
Old 9th March 2021, 00:38   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Thanks Jeroen. I totally agree the phones cannot completely replace DSLR/Mirrorless especially if it's for a special project as that offers lot more flexibility for interchangeable lens apart from their overall quality

What you mentioned about the photography exhibition is quite interesting. It would be great if you can share those pictures here or a link of same to check phone vs. DSLR pictures and see how close or far apart they are to each othersp
I never said phones cannot replace DSLR/mirror less. In fact I would go as far to say that most people, using a phone or a DSLR tend to be what I call happy snappers. Nothing wrong with that, but the equipment is never the limiting factor for happy snappers.

I prefer using cameras for no other reason I like the look and feel of a proper camera, irrespective whether the camera or the phone has better specifications.

Sorry can’t link to the exhibition. All our exhibitions are printed material. And even at A3 size nobody could tell the image was taken with a phone!

Jeroen

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks