Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2019, 17:13   #17476
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Official non-auto Image thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
What drew me to the pic were the leaves of the first tree, against the noon sky. This was a phone pic. Let me check the camera - though not expecting much difference in terms of the trees in the frame .
As Nilanjan said, it has nothing to do with camera. Just find the right composition.

Here is a similar pic, but of a grass stalk, with the second stalk still in the frame. Taken using a camera made in 2006.

The Official non-auto Image thread-_a074152xl.jpg
Old 1st March 2019, 23:47   #17477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
What drew me to the pic were the leaves of the first tree, against the noon sky. This was a phone pic. Let me check the camera - though not expecting much difference in terms of the trees in the frame .
I hope you wont mind me editing your pic :-). Since the leaves were your focus I tried a quick crop eliminating the ender exposed tree and some enhancement in Windows photos app. Just a suggestion.
The Official non-auto Image thread-img_1837.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
A dog fight this morning; raptor (Black Indian Kite) and crow are always at loggerheads. Nikon D610+Tamron 150-600mm handheld
Nice action there Durango. That's one brave crow dealing with the kite.
Did you edit the photo? Maybe sharpened and cropped? Sometimes even a 600 is not enough for birds in flight.

I notice some of your images are soft due to noise reduction. I may be wrong but if the light is not right the wings of the bird ends up being underexposed and you lose a lot of detail. You could use manual mode and expose the bird right and then play with the sky color in post.

I dug up an old set I took some years ago. Two bald eagles and 2 juveniles fighting in the air. They all ended up loosing the prey :-(

Unedited so don't look for details. This was some quick action happening far away while I was focusing on another eagle. Didn't have enough time to change settings. These were shot at +0.3 ev

The Official non-auto Image thread-navi1597-large.jpg
The Official non-auto Image thread-navi1598-large.jpg
The Official non-auto Image thread-navi1599-large.jpg
The Official non-auto Image thread-navi1600-large.jpg

Also found this shot that I took about 86 shots after (going by the file number) I the above ones on the same day. Similar blue sky except no leaves but snow.
The Official non-auto Image thread-navi1686-large.jpg

This guy happily turned around and gave me a pose.
The Official non-auto Image thread-navi1687-large.jpg
Old 2nd March 2019, 09:35   #17478
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
I hope you wont mind me editing your pic :-). Since the leaves were your focus I tried a quick crop eliminating the ender exposed tree and some enhancement in Windows photos app. Just a suggestion.
Attachment 1853683
I like the 'original' image more than this ‘tighter crop’ crop of yours. See the image posted on this page by @samurai. You got to allow some ‘breathing space’ around for your subject in the frame = composition
Quote:
I notice some of your images are soft due to noise reduction. I may be wrong but if the light is not right the wings of the bird ends up being underexposed and you lose a lot of detail. You could use manual mode and expose the bird right and then play with the sky color in post.
I usually ignore ‘in to the sky/ above your head' type shots unless you get an eye contact or anything that strikes or stands out. You have a bright background and those +/- buttons are in there for a reason.

A screenshot of an image of mine taken a few years back
The Official non-auto Image thread-screen-shot-20190302-11.47.07.png

Last edited by M35 : 2nd March 2019 at 09:37.
Old 2nd March 2019, 12:20   #17479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
I like the 'original' image more than this ‘tighter crop’ crop of yours. See the image posted on this page by @samurai. You got to allow some ‘breathing space’ around for your subject in the frame = composition
I appreciate your view. According to me the pic Samurai posted is totally different compared to what condor did. The subject (grass stalk) is well isolated and that allows you to frame it in a different way. When everything is in focus and half of the image is blue sky I tend to remove as much clutter as possible. Just my taste.

Quote:
I usually ignore ‘in to the sky/ above your head' type shots unless you get an eye contact or anything that strikes or stands out. You have a bright background and those +/- buttons are in there for a reason.
Which image are you referring to? The eagle sitting on the tree?

Sometimes action happens right above your head and high up in the sky, especially with birds there is always an opportunity to capture. It may not be something you can use in your portfolio but still worth capturing. These are examples.
The Official non-auto Image thread-0e1a2050-large.jpg
The Official non-auto Image thread-navi1333-large.jpg
The Official non-auto Image thread-navi0944-large.jpg
The Official non-auto Image thread-navi1102-large.jpg
Quote:
A screenshot of an image of mine taken a few years back
That's a stunning capture! I remember you sharing this before.

Here's the shot I was focusing on just before I noticed the eagles fighting.

The Official non-auto Image thread-navi1437-crop-1-large.jpg

Even tighter crop
The Official non-auto Image thread-navi1437-large.jpg

High res files here: www.flickr.com/photos/navinbusy

Last edited by navin_bhp : 2nd March 2019 at 12:33. Reason: Added link
Old 2nd March 2019, 16:20   #17480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice action there Durango. That's one brave crow dealing with the kite.
Did you edit the photo? Maybe sharpened and cropped? Sometimes even a 600 is not enough for birds in flight.

Thank you, Navin. I use manual mode for these shot's normally 1/2000s and f/7.1 and ISO is auto. Agree 600mm at the long end is not enough. I usually shoot hand held so it allows me to 'point and shoot' Bird shot's are hit of miss sometimes and noise tends to creep in at those exposures. Yes, it's been cropped, sharpened and noise reduction has been done. The Kite closeup has been cropped closely and hence softness in the shadows. Lovely shot's of the Bald Eagle's.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 2nd March 2019 at 16:25.
Old 3rd March 2019, 20:00   #17481
BHPian

A few recent clicks

Common kingfisher fighting for its favourite perch

The Official non-auto Image thread-adobe_20181217_120142.jpg

Malabar grey hornbill feasting

The Official non-auto Image thread-adobe_20190211_200234.jpg

Looks of fury.. Gaur

The Official non-auto Image thread-adobe_20190211_195610.jpg

Endemic to Western ghats.. Malabar parakeet

The Official non-auto Image thread-adobe_20181208_201846.jpg

Malabar grey hornbill..

The Official non-auto Image thread-adobe_20190211_210405.jpg

Far migrants.. Northern pintails

The Official non-auto Image thread-adobe_20190118_210403.jpg

Gold fronted leaf bird..

The Official non-auto Image thread-adobe_20181106_160227.jpg

Uncommon commoner.. Common Kingfisher

The Official non-auto Image thread-adobe_20190118_210213.jpg

Whistling school boy of Western ghats.. Malabar Whistling Thrush

The Official non-auto Image thread-adobe_20190124_215149.jpg

Serenity.. A painted stork

The Official non-auto Image thread-adobe_20190123_123011.jpg

Pride of Western ghats.. Great pied hornbill

The Official non-auto Image thread-adobe_20181112_184247.jpg

Hope you all enjoy it. Gear used: Canon EOS 1300D and Tamron 150-600 G1
Old 3rd March 2019, 21:14   #17482
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
The originals are quite sharp, though they might appear a little fuzzy.......The rarely encountered brown dipper having a dip. Himalayan stream, shot after careful stalking.
Quote:
Mist. Winter. Dawn. I increasingly prefer moody shots. Unless the light or atmosphere is interesting, sometimes it is not worth processing. Though most folks prefer photos that are contrasty and saturated. Btw these photos are sharp too, but they don't appear so here, after downsizing a couple of times from a JPEG.

Dalmatian pelican in the mist...

The antenna is always fine-tuned to words like 'Kumaon', 'Corbett', 'Dikhala' and this was no exception. Splendid captures as always - "moody shots" an apt description, just hold that thought!
About those pending travelogues - just get down to it Nilanjan, and give us a chance to get a glimpse into the Pandora's Box!
Old 4th March 2019, 22:34   #17483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
The antenna is always fine-tuned to words like 'Kumaon', 'Corbett', 'Dikhala' and this was no exception. Splendid captures as always - "moody shots" an apt description, just hold that thought!
About those pending travelogues - just get down to it Nilanjan, and give us a chance to get a glimpse into the Pandora's Box!
Kumaon is probably my first love :-)

Unfortunately, the horrible jam near Hapur on NH24 makes me think twice before heading out.

A few more.

Cheetal stag. Misty morning, golden light.
The Official non-auto Image thread-cheetalstag.jpg

Female khaleej pheasant.
The Official non-auto Image thread-female.jpg

Cormorants flying over a Corbett river. Warm golden light, cold shadow. Impressionist. Sometimes I don't feel like taking sharp photos :-)
The Official non-auto Image thread-cormorantsincorbett.jpg

Sunset
The Official non-auto Image thread-sunset.jpg

Light and shadow. Greater yellow-naped woodpecker, Himalayas.
The Official non-auto Image thread-lightandshadow.jpg
Old 5th March 2019, 06:10   #17484
BHPian

Beautiful and Artistic, Nilanjan.

I accidentally landed on this thread and it is a treasure trove of Bhpian photographers. Although a part of shifting gears, this thread I think deserves thanks. Given the condition, photos have to be original, we need to recognize the effort that goes in to making a presentable frame. I would like to thank all the recent posts on this thread.

a few from my miscellaneous folder

From home balcony
The Official non-auto Image thread-rainbow-5.jpg

Bidaraguppe lake, morning 2018 January
The Official non-auto Image thread-a3.jpg
Old 5th March 2019, 07:10   #17485
BANNED

Quote:
Kumaon is probably my first love :-)

Unfortunately, the horrible jam near Hapur on NH24 makes me think twice before heading out.

A few more............
Lovely ambience - and since I'm partial to Kumaon, understandable! ".....don't feel like taking sharp photos" - once again, hold that thought! Nothing captures the mood, character and atmosphere of a place better than these photos - admittedly it has to be done by one who knows his stuff. The khaleej pheasant is a popular term in Corbett's books and it was a pleasure to see it featured here.

Our plot in Naukuchiatal (bought way back in '07), overlooking the lake has been up for sale for a while. Heartbreaking I know - considering all the plans that we had for it! - but our age (not getting any younger), plus the health issues regarding a dear family member, has changed our priorities. C'est la vie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Beautiful and Artistic, Nilanjan.

I accidentally landed on this thread and it is a treasure trove of Bhpian photographers. Although a part of shifting gears, this thread I think deserves thanks. Given the condition, photos have to be original, we need to recognize the effort that goes in to making a presentable frame. I would like to thank all the recent posts on this thread.

a few from my miscellaneous folder

From home balcony
Attachment 1855196

Bidaraguppe lake, morning 2018 January
Attachment 1855197
Wonderful shots, Thermodynamics - the Bidaraguppe lake takes on a different character here!
Old 10th March 2019, 17:51   #17486
Senior - BHPian

A White Throated Kingfisher (Halcyon smyrnensis) posed for me and also a Green parrot and a Lesser Egret, Nikon D610+Tamron 150-600mm
Attached Thumbnails
The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc_7105-copy.jpg  

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc_7157_snapseed_filtered.jpg  

The Official non-auto Image thread-topaz-71304-copy.jpg  

Last edited by Durango Dude : 10th March 2019 at 17:59.
Old 11th March 2019, 01:04   #17487
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, newbie in photography. Please do provide feedback & tips for improvement & learning.

The Official non-auto Image thread-p1040450_.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-p1040470.jpg
Old 11th March 2019, 14:31   #17488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
A White Throated Kingfisher (Halcyon smyrnensis) posed for me and also a Green parrot and a Lesser Egret, Nikon D610+Tamron 150-600mm
Dude, the egret shot is awesome, even bone lines are visible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Guys, newbie in photography. Please do provide feedback & tips for improvement & learning.
Hi, you have a knack, what kind of photography interests you ? I am always a landscape guy and I have been practicing since 2009 but still cannot do justice to capture a landscape the way Nature presents. It is tough to recreate the feeling, the mood, the wind, the smell, and condense all of them inside a two dimensional frame.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 11th March 2019 at 14:38.
Old 11th March 2019, 17:04   #17489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dude, the egret shot is awesome, even bone lines are visible.
Thank you, I usually stand with my back to the sun on my terrace in the morning! This bird swooped in on me from behind and I have just this one shot for witness before it was on it's way. It was perpendicularly above and I had to bend backwards for this shot.
Old 11th March 2019, 21:04   #17490
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...Hi, you have a knack, what kind of photography interests you ? I am always a landscape guy and I have been practicing since 2009 but still cannot do justice to capture a landscape the way Nature presents. It is tough to recreate the feeling, the mood, the wind, the smell, and condense all of them inside a two dimensional frame.
Thank you. I haven't still developed any strong affinity since am a newbie. Landscape photography is probably one of the toughest since I have never managed anything great. The below one is one of the few shots I managed and kinda like.

The Official non-auto Image thread-p1040870.jpg

Had this for sometime, but never processed it till now.

The Official non-auto Image thread-p1040888_.jpg

PS :: I feel the first one is less processed and the second one, a little too much.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 11th March 2019 at 21:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks