Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2007, 00:02   #1951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I wanted to get the circular enlightenment effect like I have seen on many Bahubali images.
Well captured...and well titled. Did you think of the caption while composing the shot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Nice pic,mayavi..
It could make it to the pages of 'Time' or 'Newsweek'..
Yes Mayavi, it looks like a stock picture. Good one.

@Redcandle: Nice pictures and all the best. The experts here might be able to help you more with composing / framing.
What cam do you have?
Old 28th November 2007, 01:51   #1952
BHPian

I should have gotten more of the skyline... the background in that image is where WTC once stood, right behind the american flag.
Old 28th November 2007, 08:24   #1953
Team-BHP Support

redcandle: Nice pics!

Mayavi: WOW! One question, did you have to sit on your knees on the road to take the pic?
Old 28th November 2007, 09:25   #1954
BHPian

These are from my recent trip to Ranikhet ( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ns-meadow.html )

Never Seen Before:

Rose:

Old 28th November 2007, 09:44   #1955
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
experts advise please! how to save your sensor from damage while shooting the sun like this?
More than the sensor, pls dont look into the sun (for too long), esp with a SLR at max zoom. Guess you would know already, but doesnt harm to say it again.
Old 28th November 2007, 09:53   #1956
BHPian

Mayavi, what a pic! I dont know if anyone realises. But the background is where the magnificient WTC once stood. The foreground 9-11 just reminds us of the fateful day in 2001. Dark skies and somber moods out of focus background just adds the right effect. Congrats. Great story in a pic. However, i have one small teeny weeny suggestion if i may.
Well, i feel the buildings (the middle one and the right one) should not have been cropped at the top. Thats it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
Was in New York last week

Old 28th November 2007, 19:41   #1957
BHPian

Thanks Torqy and CrAzYdRiVeR,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
@Redcandle: Nice pictures and all the best. The experts here might be able to help you more with composing / framing.
What cam do you have?
I have recently got myself a 400D, lenses: Canon EF 75-300 1.8:4.0-5.6, Canon EF-S 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 Macro, Sigma 28-135 3.8-5.6 Macro.
Old 28th November 2007, 19:49   #1958
BHPian

Quote:
experts advise please! how to save your sensor from damage while shooting the sun like this?
Filters the only solution for protecting shutter curtains and sensor.

Quote:
In a dSLR it is not a problem. The sensor gets exposed at extremely highspeed, so not a problem. Don't use Liveview though. The P&S on the other hand is not so lucky.
Even a DSLR can get damaged when exposed for long time to mid day sun. And yeah you need to protect your eyes too. Shutter curtains can be damaged as well if exposed for long time. So Filters must be used for shots involving mid day sun.
Old 28th November 2007, 21:17   #1959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcandle View Post
Thanks Torqy and CrAzYdRiVeR,

I have recently got myself a 400D, lenses: Canon EF 75-300 1.8:4.0-5.6, Canon EF-S 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 Macro, Sigma 28-135 3.8-5.6 Macro.
Wow...That's a LOT OF GLASS.

Old 28th November 2007, 21:51   #1960
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyonblackybx View Post
Even a DSLR can get damaged when exposed for long time to mid day sun. And yeah you need to protect your eyes too. Shutter curtains can be damaged as well if exposed for long time. So Filters must be used for shots involving mid day sun.
Ok, let's think logically here. If you are shooting directly at mid day sun, you will be getting incredible amount of light, even at high F-stop. Why would you do long exposure of the sun?
Old 28th November 2007, 22:22   #1961
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, let's think logically here. If you are shooting directly at mid day sun, you will be getting incredible amount of light, even at high F-stop. Why would you do long exposure of the sun?
Pardon me if I have said amount of light. It should be intensity of light. Lens acts as magnifying glass and will cause the damage. Infact its more daingerous for photographer's eyes.
Old 28th November 2007, 22:30   #1962
Senior - BHPian

irrespective of the exposure time, the shutter will almost always be exposed to the sunlight converged by the lens, right?

I didn't know shutters were that delicate. so we have to be careful about pointing the camera to the sun at all times.
Old 28th November 2007, 22:53   #1963
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.. the shutter will almost always be exposed to the sunlight converged by the lens, right?

I didn't know shutters were that delicate. so we have to be careful about pointing the camera to the sun at all times.
In a P&S, the sensor is exposed at all times. In a SLR, the mirror is exposed, except during exposure. The shutter being exposed shouldnt be as bad as the sensor being exposed.
Old 28th November 2007, 23:04   #1964
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Filters the only solution for protecting shutter curtains and sensor.

Quote:
Pardon me if I have said amount of light. It should be intensity of light. Lens acts as magnifying glass and will cause the damage. Infact its more daingerous for photographer's eyes.
First of all shutter curtain, is not exposed when you are composing, it is behind the mirror, which flips up only during clicking. When the mirror goes up, the shutter too opens. So, don't worry about shutter curtain, it is exposed for very very little time.

The only items that can get affected are focusing screen, the pentamirror, and the eye. But then you can't see the mid day sun directly anyway.

Now, why are these questions coming up, did anybody try shooting the mid day sun directly? Because I haven't shot the sun directly in the Bahubali image. If I did, I would have just got a sheet of bright white.
Old 28th November 2007, 23:51   #1965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Now, why are these questions coming up, did anybody try shooting the mid day sun directly? Because I haven't shot the sun directly in the Bahubali image. If I did, I would have just got a sheet of bright white.
I have done it years ago with an aiptek pocket cam+webcam (afternoon sun actually, in addition to the surrounding scenery ). and surprise, I got everything OK apart form the sun itself, which came as a black spot.

the cam itself was not damaged, it kept serving me for quite a long time after that.

I asked because i assumed in process of composing, you may have exposed the cam to the sun a couple of times.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 28th November 2007 at 23:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks