Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2007, 19:14   #961
Senior - BHPian

Had posted a different shot of the same farmer earlier here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/395224-post757.html

@tsk, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/430238-post929.html

I love this mode of photography, if my guess is right isnt it called Silhouette shot ?

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 15th May 2007 at 19:22.
Old 15th May 2007, 19:35   #962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
looks like you are using low size (quality) image compression? either in the cam or in post processing.

are you?
Not quite vivek, I tried it on the auto mode, and I guess the zoom wasnt quite enough. Somehow, the picture looks bad!...Any ideas on how to fix it?
Old 15th May 2007, 19:40   #963
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post

I love this mode of photography, if my guess is right isnt it called Silhouette shot ?
Yes its called a silhouette.
Old 15th May 2007, 20:09   #964
Team-BHP Support

Old 15th May 2007, 20:13   #965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Not quite vivek, I tried it on the auto mode, and I guess the zoom wasnt quite enough. Somehow, the picture looks bad!...Any ideas on how to fix it?
not sure if you know. "auto mode" changes the way image is captured in terms of aperture, focus, shutter speed etc.

then the processor saves it on the memory using various settings. hopefully you have set it to the highest.
1. Raw image- available in high end cams. very large size. al details captured by the cam's sensor.
2. JPEG image, can have various levels of compression. used in all cameras. the size can be 1/10th to 1/30th of raw image roughly I believe.

in your case the other thing i can think of is you have used digital zoom which is nothing but digitally expanding the image. you would be better off if you use optical zoom alone.

remember, when you say fix (post processing) you can not add details to the image. you only lose details with every action on the photoshop etc. (which means you should always keep the original as back up)

You have to try to capture the details as much as possible and then start working on it on the software.
Old 16th May 2007, 10:57   #966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
not sure if you know. "auto mode" changes the way image is captured in terms of aperture, focus, shutter speed etc.

then the processor saves it on the memory using various settings. hopefully you have set it to the highest.
1. Raw image- available in high end cams. very large size. al details captured by the cam's sensor.
2. JPEG image, can have various levels of compression. used in all cameras. the size can be 1/10th to 1/30th of raw image roughly I believe.

in your case the other thing i can think of is you have used digital zoom which is nothing but digitally expanding the image. you would be better off if you use optical zoom alone.

remember, when you say fix (post processing) you can not add details to the image. you only lose details with every action on the photoshop etc. (which means you should always keep the original as back up)

You have to try to capture the details as much as possible and then start working on it on the software.
Hmm... I got a P & S, and it lets me save only JPEG format. I had set it to Medium, not the largest available, and I thought that was only for the size, does it hamper the picture quality too????? I use only optical zoom as I know digital zoom is more like a cropping tool.

Regarding the post processing, Do you mean to say like the blue which was fixed by rjstyles was the original color and was misinterpreted by the camera? Please let me know on this one. Thanks.
Old 16th May 2007, 11:58   #967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Hmm... I got a P & S, and it lets me save only JPEG format. I had set it to Medium, not the largest available, and I thought that was only for the size, does it hamper the picture quality too????? I use only optical zoom as I know digital zoom is more like a cropping tool.

Regarding the post processing, Do you mean to say like the blue which was fixed by rjstyles was the original color and was misinterpreted by the camera? Please let me know on this one. Thanks.
I have always been planning to take a pic of the hebbal lake with the bearys building in the background i travel by that route every day. One question what camera are you using? make sure your sharpness and saturation setting are correct. Use the best image quality settings or the largest picture size (mem) while taking photos. YEs it matters a lot since the amount of information comming through the lens has to be compressed and stored. Larger the better cos more pixels and more colour and saturation information can be stored in a larger size photo. You can always crop it or increase compression if you want.This is why RAW is the best as the camera stores the image as it had captured. Also is there any settings for changing whitebalance in your camera you can play with that too..
Old 16th May 2007, 12:09   #968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon View Post
I have always been planning to take a pic of the hebbal lake with the bearys building in the background i travel by that route every day. One question what camera are you using? make sure your sharpness and saturation setting are correct. Use the best image quality settings or the largest picture size (mem) while taking photos. YEs it matters a lot since the amount of information comming through the lens has to be compressed and stored. Larger the better cos more pixels and more colour and saturation information can be stored in a larger size photo. You can always crop it or increase compression if you want.This is why RAW is the best as the camera stores the image as it had captured. Also is there any settings for changing whitebalance in your camera you can play with that too..
You should take a picture of that building, it looks awesome. You can try taking the same picture from a different angle, if you are coming from manyata business park (or the BEL corporate office), as soon as you get on the flyover you will see the building with an amazing view of the flyover and that building. Give it a shot!

I use Canon Powershot A530. I was using auto mode, may be I need to have more patience and set the aperture and shutter speed manually. And, Yes I will set the quality setting to maximum in future. Thanks for the input. Ye, My camera does support whitebalance, I will have to experiment with that too to get the best result. Thanks once again.
Old 16th May 2007, 14:24   #969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Had posted a different shot of the same farmer earlier here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/395224-post757.html

Hey rjstyles69.. thats a nice shot.. are those white specs all across the LHS of the image fertilizer which the farmer has thrown?? you should have taken the pic just when the farmer has released the handful of fertilizer at fast shutter speed around 1/100 it would have been fantastic..
Old 16th May 2007, 15:03   #970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thats a nice shot.. are those white specs all across the LHS of the image fertilizer which the farmer has thrown??
thanks mate. Yupp it was taken while the fertilizer was being thrown.
Quote:
you should have taken the pic just when the farmer has released the handful of fertilizer at fast shutter speed around 1/100 it would have been fantastic..
Sure will take that advice. Had to take a few shots to get this. Am still learning dude so will get there someday .

How about some grapes for starters today? No umphhh though !!

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 16th May 2007 at 15:11.
Old 16th May 2007, 15:37   #971
BHPian

one from me for today!! always wanted to get a close up shot of the moon..This snap was taken the same day we had the Nandi Hills meet. It had rained a lot over the previous night and the sky was clear without any smog..This is the best i could manage with a tamron 80-210mm lens. focal length -210mm*1.6 = 336mm
shutter speed = 1/160
aperture = 5.6
metering = centre weighted average metering
exposure compensation = -1
ISO = 400
How could i have taken this shot better? cos even though i was using a tripod and a remote shutter release, i can see some blurness.
Old 16th May 2007, 15:44   #972
Team-BHP Support

the shot is overexposed. Try the same setting at ISO 100 or ISO 200.
Also try using F8 or F9 with same ISO, this will give you sharper images.
Old 16th May 2007, 15:45   #973
BHPian

shazikon,

Whoa, thats an awesome pic. , I will have to meet rjstyles and you to get some gyaan on photography as a newbie. Would have gone to Rudra sir, but I still need to do a LOT before I can go n ask for help from him.
Old 16th May 2007, 16:09   #974
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon View Post
shutter speed = 1/160
aperture = 5.6
metering = centre weighted average metering
exposure compensation = -1
ISO = 400
This one begs for spot metering. Spot meter the brightest part of the moon and then overexpose by 2 stops. Keep ISO at 100, and aperture at max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Also try using F8 or F9 with same ISO, this will give you sharper images.
How lower apertures will effect this shot tanveer? The moon obviously is at infinity, so DOF is also at infinity.
Old 16th May 2007, 16:39   #975
BHPian

Yes Samurai, spot metering would be the best but my camera doesnt support spot metering. i should have used partial metering atleast.
But if i use ISO 100, wont the picture be dark. if i use ISO 100, i would have to use smaller fstops around f3.5 and longer shutter speed?
I am also confused .. why would DOF come here since moon is at infinity. i guess tsk1979 was telling about the having a smaller aperture reducing the exposure.

Most Viewed