Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2008, 23:51   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Looks like I am in the market for a treadmill, again. I sold my last treadmill before moving back to India.
Everything starts with a budget. The motorised treadmills start from 25K to 2L & above.
Quote:
I see proline is the recommended model, any runner up? I am considering the motored model with elevation control and good support network in my area.
4 years back I got mine from here. I use it occasionally. Apart from aligning the belt, no issues.
Quote:
BTW, how do the Treadmills in India deal with power cuts? What happens if the power is cut when I am running at 10-12kmph? Does it slow down smoothly?
Does a treadmill has a baterry backup? Haven't seen one.
Quote:
Why do I need the treadmill? I don't want to be chased by the dogs on my street, I don't want to drive to some other place to to run, and finally I want to be able to babysit the kids while running. I need my cardio workout addressed through this. The BWC takes care of my weight training needs.
Sorry, my advice would still be to find a suitable ground and run laps, or try swimming.

Last edited by msdivy : 20th February 2008 at 23:56.
Old 20th February 2008, 23:59   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Sorry, my advice would still be to find a suitable ground and run laps, or try swimming.
And the kids will be... where? As a parent of two young kids, I can't take off from home whenever I feel like.
Old 21st February 2008, 00:02   #33
Team-BHP Support

Do not put kids on treadmill. Their knees are in formative stage and will get damaged beyond repair. If you do not believe me ask any ortho guy. They will tell you, run in a ground if possible, and if you are below 20 years of age, try avoiding treadmills.
If you must run on treadmill, make sure you use very high qualilty shock absorbing shoes.
I use Nike Trail running series. I can run for around 20 minutes without any knee pain.
Old 21st February 2008, 00:31   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Does a treadmill has a baterry backup? Haven't seen one.
In a country with frequent power cuts, that is not a stretch to provide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Do not put kids on treadmill. Their knees are in formative stage and will get damaged beyond repair. If you do not believe me ask any ortho guy. They will tell you, run in a ground if possible, and if you are below 20 years of age, try avoiding treadmills.
Tanveer, the treadmill is not for the kids! I need the treadmill so that I can watch over the kids while I am running. And the treadmill is the only way I can get my wife to run, she hasn't run since we sold the last one. The elevation part is important since I am looking for hill running, which the best kind of running in BWC training.

I have extensive experience in treadmill, I have formerly owned one high grade treadmill for 5 years. Before that I have used various treadmills at Gyms where I used to run 4 miles everyday. Yes, know about the kind of shoes needed, etc.

Guys, I am not looking for fitness advice here. Just treadmill advice only please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If you must run on treadmill, make sure you use very high qualilty shock absorbing shoes.
BTW, treadmills are less injurious to your legs compared to running on hard ground, given the same shoe. It is important to pick a treadmill that has low-impact surface like the one I had before, see below.

Quote:
I am a former Treadmill owner, I had a Pacemaster model similar to this one.
Old 21st February 2008, 12:59   #35
Senior - BHPian

I have Horizon T32 from last 1.5 years.
Old 25th February 2008, 10:28   #36
BHPian

When the number of employees in our company was less (<40), we got a Precor treadmill. It had nice features like pulse rate monitors, different courses etc.. Only 3-4 people used it and inspite of that it used to breakdown pretty frequently. Minor issues most of the times, but the repairs used to take a long time as every small part had to be imported.

Moral of the story: Stay away from Imported stuff unless the features you want are unavailable in local ones.
Old 18th March 2008, 12:54   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
We got a Precor treadmill. It had nice features like pulse rate monitors, different courses etc.. Only 3-4 people used it and inspite of that it used to breakdown pretty frequently.

Minor issues most of the times, but the repairs used to take a long time as every small part had to be imported.

Moral of the story: Stay away from Imported stuff unless the features you want are unavailable in local ones.
Which are the local treadmill brands?

Almost all home use treadmills are now manufactured in China or Taiwan. Many who claim to be manufactured in Spain or USA are simply lying.

Issues be it Minor or Major all depend on the service backup of the brand and its parent company.

Unlike small importers/dealers, when you deal with a manufacturer or established brand the spare parts usually never need to be imported as spares are sent by the manufacturer with every container.

Very often home use/underpowered motors are supplied for commercial purposes which results in premature death of the machine.
Old 20th April 2008, 19:29   #38
Senior - BHPian

treadmill or elliptical trainer?

Guys, been thinking about purchasing a treadmill, and am doing the research. However, read several articles stating that Elliptical trainers are BETTER that treadmills.

- is the above-mentioned true?
- can someone pls post the pros and cons, in true TBHP style?

I have several friends who have treadmills but none with ellipticals. Hence this post.

Sample article:

"...if you are looking for a quality cardiovascular workout with the maximum amount of efficiency, you will not be able to overlook the elliptical machine..."

Treadmills vs. Elliptical Trainers

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 20th April 2008 at 19:31.
Old 20th April 2008, 19:50   #39
Team-BHP Support

Today went and bought from Stayfit motorized treadmill for 27k INR.

Stayfit Health & Fitness World : Treadmills, Exerbikes, Elliptical Cross Trainers, Home Gyms, Multistation Gyms, Massagers, Fitness Accessories, Many more ....

Upto 95kg it will take, max speed 13 kmph!!

Has kmph, cal, time, pulse rate. Program options, preset and manual.
Old 20th April 2008, 20:22   #40
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu, that's some neat machine...

All necessary features are there, and no unwanted bells n whistles.

Buttt, no dealer in Trivandrum, it seems....
Old 20th April 2008, 20:33   #41
Senior - BHPian

Nice treadmill, Jaggu.
Btw ,Did you check with your fellow bangalore DDIS swifter before going for this one?
Old 20th April 2008, 23:09   #42
Team-BHP Support

Nitrous anna, whom are you referring to? i no get it <wonderin whats that>
Old 20th April 2008, 23:17   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Nitrous anna, whom are you referring to? i no get it <wonderin whats that>
He is referring to s0uljah, he (or his dad) sells UK brand treadmills and other fitness equipment.
Old 20th April 2008, 23:21   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
He is referring to s0uljah, he (or his dad) sells UK brand treadmills and other fitness equipment.
24 hours late, but useful info.
Old 20th April 2008, 23:37   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Guys, been thinking about purchasing a treadmill, and am doing the research. However, read several articles stating that Elliptical trainers are BETTER that treadmills.

- is the above-mentioned true?
- can someone pls post the pros and cons, in true TBHP style?
Its like the Petrol vs CRDI debate, they are both good

The primary concern while walking/jogging/running regardless of on a treadmill or in the park is the stress that is borne by our knees.

Reputed manufacturers now offer treadmills that feature innovations such as Swing arm suspension / Intellitrac suspension (you can google these).

Such innovations obviously jack up the cost of the machine and very few brands choose to pass on the benefit of such technology to the home segment.

Besides virtually eliminating the stress on the knees, the machines that have dedicates suspension units also reduces the load borne on the drive motor.

Coming to the Elliptical the most attractive feature is that it is a non impact cardio activity. Also since an Elliptical/Cross trainer does not run on a motor there is less of a maintenance cost involved in the long run.

For someone on a very strict budget, a quality Elliptical is a great buy over a very basic treadmill. If one has an elastic budget then a motorised treadmill is the way to go.

Personally I feel nothing can be replace a brisk walk / running. In fact I was having a similar discussion with Samurai San a few days ago.

I have a few questions for you as it all boils down to your requirement.

Will there be elderly individuals using the machine?
What is the maximum bodyweight of users?
Is there a lady who would use the machine regularly?

I havent gone through the article but I will when I have the time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks