Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2006, 16:39   #1
dev
BHPian

Treadmill Tips & Buying Advice

Dear BHpians,
Eventhough its an off topic, I need guidance on which one to select and whats the cost?

This is mainly to reduce fat/huge tummy. May I know which company is the best in the Indian market and the cost of them?
And in Bangalore, do anyone know of any discounts or distributors?

thanks in advance.

with rgds,
Dev.
Old 6th February 2006, 17:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Go to a gym and see what machines they have. The cheap machines are not very good if you use them every day. It might even be worth joining a gym and using the treadmill there and trying the other exercise equipment. A better way to burn fat is to get a good rowing machine. It gives you a far better workout (imho). I can suggest a rowing machine. Go for a Concept 2 rowing machine. It is a machine that will last forever but is very expensive (£900 in the UK).

Oh yes do weigh yourself and make sure the equipment you get can handle your current body weight and good luck with your get fit campaign.
Old 6th February 2006, 17:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Lifefitness. A division of Brunswick Billiards. They make some good treadmills. Not too sure about the price though
Old 6th February 2006, 17:14   #4
BHPian

Quote:
It might even be worth joining a gym and using the treadmill there and trying the other exercise equipment.
I second that. A gym is a far better option. For around the same amount of money, you'd have much better results due to a planned workout.
Old 6th February 2006, 17:34   #5
Team-BHP Support

When you go for a treadmill you will have to decide the age of the person who will use it. There are essentially two types of these machines. The Motorized ones and the mechanized ones.

Motorized ones are costly and a good motorized one may set you back something between Rs.26000 and 35000 depending on the motor-rating, features etc. Normally these machines are feature laden with lot many sensors. They are ideal for older people.

On the other hand if you are young (below 38) you can probably look at the mechanized options. These are essentially running platforms which you drive with your own energy (as you run). These are much cheaper. Range starts from Rs.10000 and goes upward. For around Rs.15000 you get very good mechinzed mills.
Old 6th February 2006, 18:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

as khanak said go for Life Fitness

A word of caution though, only tred mill will not help you loose wait.
Better thing to do would be to join a good gym with qualified instructors

Weight training is as important as cardio exercise to reduce fat
Old 6th February 2006, 18:06   #7
dev
BHPian

Thanks for all your suggestions.
This machine will be used for my entire family. aged between 26-60yrs.

Going for a Gym is another option which I had in my mind. But due to time constraint , I want to opt for this machine.
Any more ideas welcomed.
Old 6th February 2006, 18:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev
Any more ideas welcomed.
Atleast go to a nutritionist

Last edited by adya33 : 6th February 2006 at 18:17.
Old 6th February 2006, 18:30   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I got a motorised inclince / decline one from the Proline Fitness Store in Bandra. Its 3 years since, and the machine is working like a charm.

If it would help, I can have someone from my office call and get more details

GTO
Old 6th February 2006, 18:54   #10
Team-BHP Support

Proline is very good. Many gyms use the same. But the Mahalaxmi race coruse is best. it is 2 km round and i usually tire or bore after 1. so i have to do 2 to get back to my car! :-)
Old 6th February 2006, 18:56   #11
Team-BHP Support

I am a former Treadmill owner, I had a Pacemaster model similar to this one.

I am removing my question since I see you already answered it.

Last edited by Samurai : 6th February 2006 at 18:57.
Old 25th May 2007, 16:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Bump.

We are planning to buy a Motorized Treadmill in the next couple of days.

Budget is 30-35k.

Is any Member in a position to recommend Details of Vendors/ Shops that give excellent Service and Good Rates - Any inputs will be appreciated.

What Brands are supposed to be good?

Regards,
Manveet.
Old 25th May 2007, 16:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

I still cant figure out why People only want to Excercise Standing!!
and that too buy a Gadget to support the work out!!
Old 25th May 2007, 16:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
I still cant figure out why People only want to Excercise Standing!!
and that too buy a Gadget to support the work out!!
Very true. I bought a "manual" treadmill (non-motorised) a year back. I used to walk regularly at a nearby stadium before that. I used the treadmill for about a month before I realised that walking outside was waaaay better than using the treadmill, as far as my overall well-being (mental + physical) was concerned. Using the treadmill at home did not give me the sense of good feeling and freshness that I used to get from my walks in the stadium. Ok, I sweat more with the treadmill, but I get fed up of walking (I get bored) long before I get tired of walking (physically tired).

But in the monsoons (half the year here in Kerala) you definitely need a treadmill to keep walking.

And from experience, I'd suggest a motorised treadmill over a manual one. They cost double the money and also use up power. But you get an overall better controlled and sustained workout with the motorised ones. And they put lesser strain on your back. The manual ones tend to make you lean forward more, once you start getting tired. And you start supporting yourself with your arms (by holing the bar in front) and push the belt rather than walk at that stage. You can walk/run by maintaining normal body posture, without supporting yourself with your arms on the handles in the case of a motorised treadmill. This is not so easy with a manual one. In fact it is close to impossible to run/jog properly with a manual one (my experience).

Sorry about brands. Not much idea. I bought something called "Physique" (so UK-based guys). I chose this simply because a friend also had bought one a few months before my purchase and it was running well (he and his Dad were using it very regularly and extensively) even after heavy use. And the showroom was 10 minutes away from my house.

As an aside, you'll need to do a bit of weight training and other exercises also to really get the weight down and keep it down. Walking alone won't give dramatic results. But it is good for your mind (if you walk outside) and overall well being.
Old 25th May 2007, 16:57   #15
Team-BHP Support

I don't think that's what Scooby meant when he said what he said!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks