Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2010, 11:56   #3736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Tanveer, I am not sure if you want me to laugh or cry !!!

Good or bad, my purpose is only to protect it from dust. Infact I was carrying around my 70-300 VR without a filter for over a month. When we went to Ranganathittu and met a professional (Dr.Venkat), first thing he asked me why I am carrying my lens without a filter. He explained it in such a way that I am doing some serious crime without having a filter !!! So, I didnt want to go against the 'Guru' type advises and later feel sorry.

On a routine google checking, I found UV is the perfect one for basic protection. Other filters for special effects. So, I am just going with the crowd, hope I explained it properly.
No need to spend a bomb on good glass and then put another layer of glass in front while taking pictures, IMHO this defeats the purpose of good glass. DSLRs actually do not need the UV filters at all. For protection of the front element, the pinch lens front cover should always be used whenver you are not shooting and the lens hood on whenever you are shooting. OK I have heard stories that the lens dropped and the front element was saved due the filter attached but this is mighty rare and the lens hood would protect in these scenarios too. The dust and grime accumulated can always be cleaned up later. Other filters like ND and CPL, I can understand.
Old 23rd April 2010, 12:00   #3737
BHPian

Guys, I have a problem. My Canon 500D's RWA images (.CR2) dont open on Photoshop CS3. Is converting CR2 to DNG the only way?
Old 23rd April 2010, 12:06   #3738
Team-BHP Support

I would suggest using Canon DPP as the first cut tool to process RAWs. After you export to JPG you can do other stuff in photoshop if needed.
the newest DPP, which you can download by selecting camera as 550D from usa canon website is very powerful and easy to use.
Alternatively, you can export 16 bit TIFF from DPP, and then use CS3 for further jugglery. This will ensure you do not lose anything in the conversion.
Old 23rd April 2010, 12:30   #3739
Senior - BHPian

Adobe camera raw was that answer I thought.
Old 23rd April 2010, 14:03   #3740
Senior - BHPian

Responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
eeeeks.....this is what i feared.
saw your price list....D90 at 34K (shld be body only)....seems verry tempting. Let me find out how much with the 18-105 kit. even if its a little over 550D, will go it...its a much better cam to hold.
Lazy, nothing to fear. Btw, the D90 at 34K price was shared by Shaju, quoted by Naresh of RK Photoguide. Also you need to confirm if the price is with or without B&W. If you can decide on the cam by tomorrow morning, you can join us for the purchase [if you intend to do it tomorrow], but check if Naresh/Jayesh will have stock tomm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
went to cam shop today. offical canon dealers. 55-250 IS is going for 10500. with warranty from canon.
Govigov, is this in Cochin or Bangalore? Please share dealer details for benefit of everyone. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
No need to spend a bomb on good glass and then put another layer of glass in front while taking pictures, IMHO this defeats the purpose of good glass. DSLRs actually do not need the UV filters at all. For protection of the front element, the pinch lens front cover should always be used whenver you are not shooting and the lens hood on whenever you are shooting. Other filters like ND and CPL, I can understand.
Practical/good advice from Tanveer and SPARKled. Thanks to both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I would suggest using Canon DPP as the first cut tool to process RAWs. After you export to JPG you can do other stuff in photoshop if needed.
the newest DPP, which you can download by selecting camera as 550D from usa canon website is very powerful and easy to use.
But is Canon's DPP good enough to replace any usage of Adobe PS, to attempt good PP work on photos shot in RAW/JPEG?

Also, anyone using Adobe Lightroom 2, can you please comment if this tool can mirror most effects [not advance ones that probably professionals (like Rudrada) use] that can be used/applied on PS?

aK

Last edited by k_ajay : 23rd April 2010 at 14:07. Reason: Corrections to the post
Old 23rd April 2010, 14:26   #3741
Team-BHP Support

Rudra does his first level of processing in DPP.
So do many other professionals.
the workflow is as follows
1. Canon DPP - Exposure adustment, no sharpening, WB correction -> 16 bit TIFF
2. 16 bit TIFF is then adjusted in photoshop.
Old 23rd April 2010, 15:26   #3742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Rudra does his first level of processing in DPP.
So do many other professionals.
the workflow is as follows
1. Canon DPP - Exposure adustment, no sharpening, WB correction -> 16 bit TIFF
2. 16 bit TIFF is then adjusted in photoshop.
I also do the processing somewhat similar.

ARW file opened in Adobe Camera RAW

- EV
- WB (Temp, Hue)
- Hue saturation of individual color tones
- Vignetting
- CA
- Fill light
- Blacks
- Vibrancy
- Saturation

Opened in PS (16 bit image, AdobeRGB colorspace)

- All other editing which requires layers and layer masks
- Sharpening
- Resizing / cropping if required
- Convert to 8 bit and save as jpeg and stored to disk.
- Save for web by converting to sRGB - the vibrancy of AdobeRGB will be preserved. (ensures that what you see is what others see in all browsers )

For noise reduction, I use Noiseware, but the entire jpeg is not processed. During opening the image in PS, I save a copy as jpeg, NR it in noiseware, and place that as a new layer in the opened picture in PS, add a layer mask to selectively remove noise. (I don't have a licensed copy of Noiseware so I can't do NR directly on a 16 bit image)

Last edited by clevermax : 23rd April 2010 at 15:31.
Old 23rd April 2010, 17:25   #3743
Senior - BHPian

Ajay, if you are getting into the DSLR world for the first time, dont waste your time on the PRO style of clicking and editing until the basics are mastered. Just copy what I do for the time-being. Shoot in JPEG, open in irfanview, adjust the contrast/sharpness/saturation if required, resize it for the web, frame and sign on it if you want, save it as new file, leaving the original in its own folder. You may not need to do even these basics on all shots, I get may be 10 out of 40-50 worth editing, others are straight to the trash can !!

Save your time, save your hard disk space and save your eyes !!
Old 24th April 2010, 06:15   #3744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
To the bangalore group purchase members,

See you then.
aK
Ajay you forgot to mention the time here, can you confirm on the same.
Old 24th April 2010, 07:03   #3745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Could you please share the details as to where you found this deal? I might be interested. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post

Govigov, is this in Cochin or Bangalore? Please share dealer details for benefit of everyone. Thanks.
The place is in cochin, MG Road.
Old 24th April 2010, 07:17   #3746
BHPian

Hi, Now again i am torn between cameras. As all dealers said canon 450D is not available as of now, i have to deside on Canon 1000D (25K with IS lens), Nikon D3000(25K) and Nikon D5000(28K) which are within my budget of 30k. Which one would be a better choice? I neeed to deside on this today.

Last edited by mohang_j : 24th April 2010 at 07:20.
Old 24th April 2010, 12:33   #3747
Senior - BHPian

Update on the group purchase:

Whoever comes to Majestic by 2.30pm today will be given free sugar cane juice sponsored by Ajay and Unni !

On a serious note, Ajay and Unni will be wandering around the Gandhinagar area from 2.30pm. As of now RK is giving the best quote, so most probably 2 DSLR body kits would be picked up from him. If anyone wants to be part of the fun-filled, bargain mega mela, please feel free to join. Numbers were posted earlier by Ajay. Get in touch !
Old 24th April 2010, 13:32   #3748
Senior - BHPian

Hepatitis is under the 1+1 scheme...

Quote:
Whoever comes to Majestic by 2.30pm today will be given free sugar cane juice sponsored by Ajay and Unni !
Old 25th April 2010, 01:58   #3749
BHPian

Table of Lenses

Here is a table of all available lenses (till January 2010),I am posting here with permission from the authors (in a forum),hope it will be helpful for someone.
Price is in USD multiplier, "0" means not present or Null,"1" is equal to "present".

Note: Please resize (practically make wider) the columns as I converted it from CSV to Excel (I could not upload the CSV or Zip here)
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Raw_Lenses.xlsx (89.4 KB, 441 views)
Old 25th April 2010, 08:05   #3750
BHPian

Quote:
Update on the group purchase:

On a serious note, Ajay and Unni will be wandering around the Gandhinagar area from 2.30pm. As of now RK is giving the best quote, so most probably 2 DSLR body kits would be picked up from him. If anyone wants to be part of the fun-filled, bargain mega mela, please feel free to join. Numbers were posted earlier by Ajay. Get in touch !
Hey guys. How many of you got free sugarcanes? How was the mela? What was the deal? Please post the details.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks