Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2010, 12:10   #5236
Team-BHP Support

Flip side of carrying a Hard-disk based camcorder is hopefully hard-disk should nto crash. (Just being paranoid)

Thanks for that info. I have no idea of sensor life degradation with video shooting in SLRs.
I am new to SLRs (Just got a 550D over the weekend!)

PS: Hence the debate of what to carry. Mind Says SLR, but video also is equally important!
Old 6th October 2010, 12:18   #5237
HSV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV View Post
After a LOT of deliberation (between 550D and D90) I have finally made up my mind (sort of...almost...) for a D90. I plan to not take the kit lens (i.e. 18-105) and infact buy a Nikkor 35mm F1.8G with it. Any comments/feedbacks/suggestions from the illuminati are welcome.

Also, would much appreciate it if anyone can advise what is the current street price for the above combo in Delhi/NCR - both with bill & warranty (after the standard discount) and without bill & warranty.

Furthermore, would be great if someone could advise any dependable shops in Delhi/NCR to buy the above, where I can get the best deal(s).

Thanks & regards,
I visited Dass Studios at CP and for the first time played with the D90 in flesh and blood. They didnt have a 550D, but showed me the 500D saying that they were exactly the same. I must say I rather liked the D90, even though it seemed rather bulky. Couldnt really get an idea of its capability in their limited showroom space, however I guess the Canon is more menu driven whereby I had to delve deeper into its menu system. The D90 seemed more comfortable with most of the things available at finger length. Didnt need to access the menu that much.

WRT pricing they said that the D90 with kit (mrp 58950/-) they can do for 58K with 4GB card and bag (no tripod - although they did have a deal going with tripod, uv filter cleaner etc along with card ans bag earlier - but not any longer). I wanted the body only with the 35mm F1.8D lens, but they didnt have body only. They said even the company doesnt have it. They said they may be able to order but most probably it may not be possible due to shortage in stock. Is that correct???

Also any ideas, what the grey market prices are? They said after the price drop recently the difference in grey and with warranty is negligible. Is that correct??

Also is this a better time to buy, or should I wait until Diwali. Due you guys reckon any deals should be available by then? Or will the stock deplete by then, since according to them they challenged to call the company and find out how many vendors had legit stock - practically none. Is that correct?? I am confused!!!
Old 6th October 2010, 12:23   #5238
Team-BHP Support

I guess D90 prices will drop once D7000 comes up.
Old 6th October 2010, 12:29   #5239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I am new to SLRs (Just got a 550D over the weekend!)
Cool! Welcome to Canon club, last week seemed to be a happening weekend. I also got hold of my first DSLR (1000D with 50mm 1.8 Prime lens).

Nice to have another learner, that too an avid traveller .
Old 6th October 2010, 12:30   #5240
HSV
BHPian

Quote:
Do you reckon prices will fall further than this?
Old 6th October 2010, 12:36   #5241
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Do you reckon prices will fall further than this?
I have no idea HSV. The pricing of D7000 has not been announced. Hence I thought it should go down bit further south in coming months, but not immediately.
Old 6th October 2010, 12:45   #5242
HSV
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I have no idea HSV. The pricing of D7000 has not been announced. Hence I thought it should go down bit further south in coming months, but not immediately.
wow, you got the 550D! super! how are you finding it? I am torn between D90 and 550D. Seem to be edging towards the D90. Although dont like its bulk, as the 550D seems much lighter and travel friendly. wanted to buy a cost effective prime lens with it so zeroed on the D90 (for low light performance and handy manual controls) and the Nikkor 35mm F1.8D which is mrp 13K, so I guess a little lower after discount. Coudnt find a similarly priced combination in Canon.

How are you finding your camera?
Old 6th October 2010, 13:22   #5243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I really doubt about that, because D90 and D7000 are totally different products from Nikon. D90 is still in the beginner level DSLR range whereas Nikon has tried to push the D7000 more towards the PRO grade with many added things (16 MP, Magnesium body, 39 point AF system, twin SD card slot, continuous auto focus for full HD video recording etc. to name a few, none of it being in D90). Feature-wise, no comparison. So D90 could still continue to serve the 'budget' customer line.

If I am in the market for a new DSLR and budget is not a constraint and like to stick to DX body, I would not think twice but pick up a D7000.
Old 6th October 2010, 13:27   #5244
BHPian

Hello Friends,

I bought my First DSLR D90 over the last weekend. Rs 40850 for the body with 2 years warranty +4GB card + Camera bag. and bought a 50 mm 1.8 D prime also, from Jayesh, Bangalore.

Shaju helped me a lot in making the correct decisions. So No thanks to him ( as he will not accept thanks from the friends LOL ). Am very much interested in the low light photography. So I have to go for a tripod now, Any suggestions ?

The most interesting thing I liked about D90 is the Controls, you can change virtually any settings while composing a shot looking through the View finder.
Old 6th October 2010, 13:34   #5245
HSV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Gladiator View Post
Hello Friends,

I bought my First DSLR D90 over the last weekend. Rs 40850 for the body with 2 years warranty +4GB card + Camera bag. and bought a 50 mm 1.8 D prime also, from Jayesh, Bangalore.

Shaju helped me a lot in making the correct decisions. So No thanks to him ( as he will not accept thanks from the friends LOL ). Am very much interested in the low light photography. So I have to go for a tripod now, Any suggestions ?

The most interesting thing I liked about D90 is the Controls, you can change virtually any settings while composing a shot looking through the View finder.
Congratulations!! Wow, thats a great price imo. How come you went for the 50mm 1.8D instead of the 35mm 1.8D? Any specific reason other than the price difference? Also how much was your 50mm 1.8D for?

Last edited by HSV : 6th October 2010 at 13:36.
Old 6th October 2010, 13:44   #5246
Senior - BHPian

@HSV : I own a D90 for some time and I really like the camera. Its user friendly and has good results.You wont repent if you buy this one.

No idea about Canon 550.

@ Speed : Congrats. thats a good buy.
Old 6th October 2010, 14:19   #5247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I visited Dass Studios at CP and for the first time played with the D90 in flesh and blood. They didnt have a 550D, but showed me the 500D saying that they were exactly the same. I must say I rather liked the D90, even though it seemed rather bulky.
You can't compare D90 with the 500/550D. The canon equivalent of D90 would be the 50D or the newly launched 60D.
Old 6th October 2010, 14:25   #5248
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations!! Wow, thats a great price imo. How come you went for the 50mm 1.8D instead of the 35mm 1.8D? Any specific reason other than the price difference? Also how much was your 50mm 1.8D for?
Thanks buddy,

Mainly it was due to the price difference, I had already stretched my budget from D5000 to D90. I paid Rs 6000 for 50 mm. And it will give much sallower depth of field compared to 35mm.
Old 6th October 2010, 14:30   #5249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Gladiator View Post
....Am very much interested in the low light photography. So I have to go for a tripod now, Any suggestions ?
Dont buy anything more for atleast a month. Play with the prime, know its potential and see which side you want to concentrate later (wider = Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 OR Tele = 55-200 or 70-300). Having a 1.8 lens gives you the advantages of avoiding a tripod and best result combined with higher ISO in very low light. Wishlist could be very long for anyone, but know the potential of what you have before buying more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
You can't compare D90 with the 500/550D. The canon equivalent of D90 would be the 50D or the newly launched 60D.
I didn't know that, hope you are not poking the Canon fan boys !
Old 6th October 2010, 14:30   #5250
Senior - BHPian

HSV,

Golu (chandnichowk) has it in gray for 37k body, and the 18-105 for about 13k or so more. even he doesnt have with bill anymore

You decide if the warranty is worth the 9k!

Last edited by phamilyman : 6th October 2010 at 14:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks