Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2010, 11:30   #5131
Senior - BHPian

Also it might be a good idea to buy a model thats been in the market for an year or more. Advantages are stabilized or lower pricing and plenty of user opinions that would help. Again let the decision not be based on the Mega Pixel count or the excess number of features that one might never use in practical life.
Old 29th September 2010, 11:46   #5132
Team-BHP Support

Well said. We mostly buy products by comparing then one against the other, based on features which we never use!
Old 29th September 2010, 11:52   #5133
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I'd recommend buying a DSLR in India as warranties are country specific for DSLRs. This is for Nikon only and not applicable to their lenses, flashes and most accessories.

What you make up in purchase price you lose in warranty coverage. It's a choice you need to make.
Pentax and olympus give international warranty on their products
So its not true for all DSLRs!
Old 29th September 2010, 12:01   #5134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
That's what I said too....I quote from my previous post "This is for Nikon only and not applicable to their lenses, flashes and most accessories"

Rgds,
Old 29th September 2010, 19:40   #5135
BHPian

Can we expect the prices of Nikon D90 to drop as the new D7000 is released?
Old 29th September 2010, 22:59   #5136
BHPian

I have decided to purchase my first DSLR. I tried to get a Nikon D3100, but right now, it is difficult to source in Bangalore. Then I decided to go for D5000. I have checked up the price with Naresh (He was quoting 34500 with Bill and warranty) I am unable to get Jayesh on his cell phone. I saw a deal in EBay ( from JJmetha) for Rs 33800 with free shipping and 2 years Nikon India warranty.

Please gurus, tell me whether I can go for this deal? In addition, how safe is to buy the items like Camera from EBay. Or Can I get a better deal in Bangalore.

Thanks
S-G
Old 29th September 2010, 23:22   #5137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethan.ram View Post
Can we expect the prices of Nikon D90 to drop as the new D7000 is released?
Availability of D90 would be an issue. From what I heard from Jayesh and couple of posts in the thread, it looks like limited stocks/availability. When I had got my D90 (+ kit lens), price was 51+. Later on, it moved marginally up to 52+. Post D7000, it would be interesting to see whether the prices go down or go up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Gladiator View Post
I am unable to get Jayesh on his cell phone.
Send a SMS to him. He usually responds within 1-2 days.

Gurus - I have a question. I am looking for a prime lens. Mainly for learning, street photography and portraits. I have D90 currently, I may never buy a full frame. Should I go for 50mm f/1.8 or 35mm f/1.8?

Last edited by sbraj : 29th September 2010 at 23:25.
Old 29th September 2010, 23:58   #5138
BHPian

@sbraj
Happy to know you are interested in primes!
Street photography is about telling stories and connecting multiple subjects builds stories. So the wider the better, but then again the wider, the harder...but hey, who said street photography is easy! So go for the 35mm f 1.8. Also, look at a 28 mm or 24 mm lens as well.
Regards,
TG.
Old 30th September 2010, 01:30   #5139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Availability of D90 would be an issue. From what I heard from Jayesh and couple of posts in the thread, it looks like limited stocks/availability. When I had got my D90 (+ kit lens), price was 51+. Later on, it moved marginally up to 52+. Post D7000, it would be interesting to see whether the prices go down or go up.
Where did you pick it up from. 52k looks a good price. By the way, not sure who is Jayesh. Is he a camera dealer, if so please provide his contact number.
Old 30th September 2010, 06:59   #5140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethan.ram View Post
Where did you pick it up from. 52k looks a good price. By the way, not sure who is Jayesh. Is he a camera dealer, if so please provide his contact number.
Jayesh is the one who runs Foto Circle. The same guy is also one of the authorized Canon dealers.
Old 30th September 2010, 10:21   #5141
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a ton TG, for your valuable comments. Your words motivate me all the more to learn.

I will settle for 35mm for the time being. Budget permitting, will expand the collection later to include wider lenses.
Old 30th September 2010, 11:01   #5142
BHPian

Pentax has no corporate office in India forget about a service network across India,
Olympus has fine network ONLY in big cities,

Nikon has a very decent service center network so does Canon

I think such an international warranty is useless in case you come across a situation when you want to use it but you cannot find a place that would honor the company warranty (my thought)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Old 30th September 2010, 11:07   #5143
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Urgent help! What would be the realistic price for a one year old 1000D Body without Kit lens? It has one more year warranty left, shutter actuations are very less (As good as new). Jayesh quotes 21K with kit and 2 year warranty for new.

I'm looking for my first DSLR to start with! If I get a reasonable deal, a better lens can be bought with the money saved and start my lessons.

Last edited by jacs : 30th September 2010 at 11:11.
Old 30th September 2010, 12:09   #5144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
.....I have D90 currently, I may never buy a full frame. Should I go for 50mm f/1.8 or 35mm f/1.8?
I have a D90 and 35mm f/1.8G, its a lovely piece of glass, nothing to complain. You will get amazing pictures in very low light too (with higher ISO 1000 onwards). BUT, I am now thinking of 50mm f/1.4 just because there are certain street situations where you stand very close to the subject and your safety is in question.

I will explain: I was shooting a band performance during the Ganesha procession one night (some pics were posted on image thread) with the D90/35mm combination. Drummers dance around while playing and the dancer guys with sword and few other heavy bronze stuff on their head were totally 'spirited' and danced like crazy. I luckily saved myself from their hit atleast 3 times. Thats were 50mm comes to a better safety zone. Also in other situations where you want to get someone's face fill the frame, 35mm should go very close to the subject, probably a hand distance. And going that close to a subject might spoil the natural expressions, just because you might spoil the 'comfort' feel/zone of the subject. Just my observations, open to correction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
What would be the realistic price for a one year old 1000D Body without Kit lens? It has one more year warranty left...
Check the price of body alone on smartshoppers and deduct some depreciation value. I think around 15k sounds reasonable.

Last edited by shajufx : 30th September 2010 at 12:10.
Old 30th September 2010, 13:01   #5145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
Pentax has no corporate office in India forget about a service network across India,
Well I did some research one year back on this, Thakral in Delhi is the Authorized service center, The number is there on Pentax website ( or was there 1 year back) I called them up Thakral asking them about warranty service they gave me number of a place at Brigade road in Bangalore who can take service job.

This was to take a purchase decision but finally I bought Canon as I was apprehensive about resale value but if you are willing to live with it Pentax can be a good and cheap buy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks