Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2010, 23:48   #5161

Hi, D3100 MRP quoted in Chennai was 32950, knew about this but still went ahead with d 5000 @ 34000, mainly for the live view, articulated lcd monitor and a few more features compared to D3000, which was only 22000. All the best and happy clicking
Old 2nd October 2010, 01:29   #5162
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

any idea about Nikon D90 body only price. Currently I have a D60, somehow not very impressed by high ISO performance if D60. How is D90 high ISO pic quality compared to D60. Shaju any take?

i want to get 50mm prime for D60 but it won’t auto focus :( and 35mm is expensive! So now thinking of upgrading to D90 instead. At the same time I am tempted to buy this 17-55 2.8 by Sigma (around 25K INR AFAIK). Any idea how this lens is?

OT:
Any nice location for taking pics in Hyderabad? i am in Hyderabad for 2 weeks. Already gone to golconda, Ramoji film city.
Old 2nd October 2010, 07:23   #5163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Its rare that someone sells his prime lens. I saw one ad in BPC last week, one guy was selling his entire Nikon collection (with 2 primes and few zooms), and it was to buy a bike I remember inviting him for a weekend walk couple of times (flower show in August), but he never turned up. Now I understand his mind was in bikes than shoots.. LOL
Very true, I couldnt find any 50mm primes on sale except with complete body kit. Camera trade for bike ? I was planning to trade my bike for Camera, could have met that guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
some more info here:
Nikon D3100 Launched in India - India Travel Forum | IndiaMike.com
very useful and some pricing as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VISTAS View Post
Hi, D3100 MRP quoted in Chennai was 32950, knew about this but still went ahead with d 5000 @ 34000, mainly for the live view, articulated lcd monitor and a few more features compared to D3000, which was only 22000. All the best and happy clicking
Wow! I heard it would be around 45K. 12K more is still worth I think. But D5000 would be a good idea being D90 sibling.
Old 2nd October 2010, 08:06   #5164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was shooting a band performance during the Ganesha procession one night (some pics were posted on image thread) with the D90/35mm combination. Drummers dance around while playing and the dancer guys with sword and few other heavy bronze stuff on their head were totally 'spirited' and danced like crazy. I luckily saved myself from their hit atleast 3 times. Thats were 50mm comes to a better safety zone.
I saw those photos. How far were the subjects from you?

Quote:
Also in other situations where you want to get someone's face fill the frame, 35mm should go very close to the subject, probably a hand distance. And going that close to a subject might spoil the natural expressions, just because you might spoil the 'comfort' feel/zone of the subject. Just my observations, open to correction.
In such situations, which prime would suit better - 50mm or 105mm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
35mm is expensive!
Any idea whether Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.4G started selling? Is there AF 35mm f/1.4 available?
Old 2nd October 2010, 08:59   #5165
BHPian

@sbraj
35mm gives you environmental portraits. 28 mm too can do the same..but with more environment as it is wider. 50mm to 85mm is ideal for isolated portraits. Each of these can be used breaking the general way in which they are used as well.

Regards,
TG.
Old 2nd October 2010, 11:18   #5166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
How is D90 high ISO pic quality compared to D60. Shaju any take?.....i want to get 50mm prime for D60 but it won’t auto focus ......I am tempted to buy this 17-55 2.8 by Sigma (around 25K INR AFAIK). Any idea how this lens is? .
I have gone upto ISO-2000 on D90 for street light shots, couldnt find any loss of sharpness or clarity. I think D90 can produce very crisp pics even at higher ISOs. D60 is way below comparison. Get the 50mm 1.8 G, it will focus on D60, if you want 50mm 1.8 D, then you should move to D90. I have a Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 for sale (classifieds section), its one of the PRO quality lenses which can compete with Nikon itself. I am selling it for a 50mm 1.4 G

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
I saw those photos. How far were the subjects from you?
In such situations, which prime would suit better - 50mm or 105mm?
Any idea whether Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.4G started selling? Is there AF 35mm f/1.4 available?
Subject was mostly in a hand's reach, sometimes hitting the camera too
50mm is an overall champion. I would prefer it anyday.
I am not sure of Nikon, but Sigma has a 35mm 1.4. I get a shock checking prices of 1.4 lenses.
Old 2nd October 2010, 12:08   #5167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
50mm is an overall champion. I would prefer it anyday.
50mm on D90 would be effectively 85mm, right?

Quote:
I am not sure of Nikon, but Sigma has a 35mm 1.4. I get a shock checking prices of 1.4 lenses.
Nikon launched AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G recently. Nikon India site does not mention the price yet, while Nikon USA site mentions $1800. How much is the Sigma price? How are the reviews? Build quality?
Old 2nd October 2010, 12:38   #5168
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Should be 75mm. And 80mm for Canon (non FF) DSLR's.
Old 2nd October 2010, 12:47   #5169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....How much is the Sigma price? How are the reviews? Build quality?
It should be 75mm effectively in a nikon DX body.
Price part could be searched from smartshoppers.in and shetala cameras site. I always check the reviews at dpreview, photographyreview and kenrockwell (with a pinch of salt). There are also very good review sites like cameralabs and such.
Old 2nd October 2010, 13:52   #5170
Senior - BHPian

Got Canon 1000D box pack with Canon 50mm 1.8 prime with UV filter. Started clicking on Auto mode .

Special thanks to our beloved Shaju helped me a lot, I used to send at least 2 PMs per day which he responded promptly.

Thanks to Milecruncher, Hellwrath, Crazy Driver and all others who helped me till date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Shaju & MileCruncher, I have finalized the deal for 15K. Tomorrow morning I would go, check and pick it up. Would trouble you guys .

If anyone has a like new Canon 50mm 1.8 prime for sale in bangalore, please let me know before tomorrow noon.
Old 2nd October 2010, 14:10   #5171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Got Canon 1000D box pack with Canon 50mm 1.8 prime with UV filter. Started clicking on Auto mode
No formalities, no thank you etc among friends !!
You might change your body any number of times in the future, but that 50mm 1.8 might stay life-long ! UV filter really required ? Please check with and without UV at different lighting conditions and see it yourself. I have removed it from my lenses.

The only person I really know who used to make wonderful images with the nifty fifty is Veeresh (HW), I have seen it on his camera majority of the time while I used to change lenses every now and then, poor me thought I could beat him with my choices of lenses, but I was terribly wrong.

All the best and Happy clicking !!!!
Old 2nd October 2010, 15:07   #5172
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Shaju, I shall keep disturbing you as the clicking gets serious.

Quote:
No formalities, no thank you etc among friends !!
You might change your body any number of times in the future, but that 50mm 1.8 might stay life-long ! UV filter really required ? Please check with and without UV at different lighting conditions and see it yourself. I have removed it from my lenses.

The only person I really know who used to make wonderful images with the nifty fifty is Veeresh (HW), I have seen it on his camera majority of the time while I used to change lenses every now and then, poor me thought I could beat him with my choices of lenses, but I was terribly wrong.

All the best and Happy clicking !!!!
Old 2nd October 2010, 18:51   #5173
BHPian

Quote:
UV filter really required ? Please check with and without UV at different lighting conditions and see it yourself. I have removed it from my lenses.
Shaju, I follow your posts very closely and you have been very helpful. So please do explain more on if UV filter affects images negatively and also in what circumstances.

Most of us probably use a UV filter more for protection to front element than to get better image.
I feel more comfortable wiping something off from the filter than the lens.

But interesting to know more on when to use an UV filter or avoid it.
Old 2nd October 2010, 19:16   #5174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
....So please do explain more on if UV filter affects images negatively and also in what circumstances.
I think it was posted many pages back, but I am not able to trace it. Bob Atkins is a guy known in the field, you can read how he looks at UV filters here Filters - UV or not UV? - photo.net

In simple words, why do you want to cover an expensive lens glass with a cheap filter glass. Hope that explains everything. UV filter is good in its sole purpose, but the kind of filters what normally people buy are of Rs.400 to Rs.800 range, so there goes the quality for a toss. A PRO quality UV filter will be from B+W, Hoya, Tiffen etc. brands, but they are terribly expensive.

Protection part can be done by a hood too. Always use a hood and a soft cloth for wiping purpose, it wont harm. Open to correction by Gurus.
Old 2nd October 2010, 19:31   #5175
BHPian

Quote:
I think it was posted many pages back, but I am not able to trace it. Bob Atkins is a guy known in the field, you can read how he looks at UV filters here Filters - UV or not UV? - photo.net

In simple words, why do you want to cover an expensive lens glass with a cheap filter glass. Hope that explains everything. UV filter is good in its sole purpose, but the kind of filters what normally people buy are of Rs.400 to Rs.800 range, so there goes the quality for a toss. A PRO quality UV filter will be from B+W, Hoya, Tiffen etc. brands, but they are terribly expensive.

Protection part can be done by a hood too. Always use a hood and a soft cloth for wiping purpose, it wont harm. Open to correction by Gurus.
Oh, that explains it all. Thanks for the link. I too got filters and yes definitely of couple of hundred rupees ones, as you mentioned. At my level, it should be okay, as I am just trying to learn and not taking any snaps, which could be troubled by these filter quality yet.

A gentle note, if someone uses a hood on Canon 50mm, should be very careful. Lens is poorly built (physically) as we all know and if the hood hits anything when mounted, can kick the front element out of the lens. I have read people posting such damages in other forums. The rubber type flexible hood could be better though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks