Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2010, 13:57   #5056
Senior - BHPian

Amit, we are talking about 2 different things here. I am talking about the FX and DX body price differences and you are talking about Ultra Wide Angle and Birding Tele lenses . I havent even talked anything about UWA or WA lenses nor the birding Teles yet, because that comes as part of your subject to shoot or the field of interest to shoot.

Subject to shoot or your field of interest has nothing to do with what body or cost of lens you have or plan to buy. Even a P&S can do all this. End of the day its the man behind the gadget that matters more than the money you invested on your gadgets. I have around 1.5 lak stuff in my camera bag, but I stand in shame when I see a 10k worth P&S giving amazing, award winning type shots to the viewer. So, who really cares when the quality of a composition, framing and subject are the only point of discussion and appreciation ? For a normal viewing/buying enthusiast of ART and photography, its only the end result in print or web that matters, nobody cares about the gadgets involved. Open to correction.

I am only a learner in the field, so there is no claim made on the accuracy of what I have posted so far. Whatever I felt right has been posted with all sincerity, not meant for any arguments nor debates. Anyone can correct it if found misleading. After all we are here to share and learn not to debate.

Last edited by shajufx : 23rd September 2010 at 13:59.
Old 23rd September 2010, 14:08   #5057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Amit, we are talking about 2 different things here. I am talking about the FX and DX body price differences and you are talking about Ultra Wide Angle and Birding Tele lenses . I havent even talked anything about UWA or WA lenses nor the birding Teles yet, because that comes as part of your subject to shoot or the field of interest to shoot.
Shaju it was more of a "what if" kind of discussion. The discussion started with an hypothetical assumption that FX and DX bodies will one day be in comparable price bracket that is just 200 - 300 $ price difference rather then 2X to 3X price difference.

It is highly realistic assumption and probable due to famous moors law . So suppose in 4-5 years if sensor cost is negligible compared to rest of the body then you can have a camera body with all the features of low end body + FF sensor at just slightly higher cost.
Rather then FF being necessarily coupled with costliest bodies with most advanced features such as high shutter speed , more FPS , micro focus adjustment , weather sealing, magnesium alloy body etc etc.

And in that case people will be able to choose bodies / sensor size as per photographic needs as we pick lenses today.

this whole discussion of choosing body as per photographic range just as we choose focal length as per need today.

One thing is for sure optics cost will not fall down so a solution which can offer lower cost of optics will definitely be a welcome.
Old 23rd September 2010, 14:32   #5058
BHPian

I think we had some kind of telepathy..he he, at the very last moment I chose Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D AF, something in my head told me that its more logical, plus I also own a Nikon N55 Film SLR which has a Nikkor 28-80mm Lens 1:3.3-5.6 G lens which I think will work on D90 with AF (D90 has inbuilt focus motor so older lens work like charm).

My next investment will be in a 70-300mm non-VR lens which is economical at arnd 6500\-,

There after once I get a hang of things, I will upgrade to more expensive lens.

I also ordered a Lowepro Flipside 200 for $60, a 52mm UV filter, Nikon lens cleaning pen system,

I cut down a lot on the lens side because I decided (was also adviced upon) buying a D90 over D5000 if I plan to move towards pro photography (which I plan to)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Depending on your needs, you may find 18-55 to be limited range. You may later need a 55-200. But changing lens on the fly, in a dusty environment is not a good idea. I have a D90 with 18-105, now I regret not opting for 18-200.

Think about this, and don't be in a hurry to conclude.

You mention birding. And also about gaining experience. How about going for the 50mm in the first go, and later on adding a zoom lens?
Old 23rd September 2010, 14:45   #5059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
it was more of a "what if" kind of discussion
Good you clarified that, if I was in the market for a new body and lens and was reading this thread, I would have got completely confused every bit. So, lets forget about 'after 5 years' and start thinking about TODAY.

There is no guarantee about the technology after 5 years. 3D cameras are already making its entry and we never know that might be the future. So you and me might end up buying a Full Frame 3D body with compatible lenses...and the 3D glasses too
Old 23rd September 2010, 14:57   #5060
Senior - BHPian

[quote=shajufx;2080865]Good you clarified that,/quote]

Well akbaree started with that premise but not only this thread lot of people on forums state the same they are waiting for a cheaper FF body for landscape , Sensor used to be a costly item when first DSLRS were introduced by Canon ,but today DSLR is with in reach of masses.

BTW I do not think stereo still camera (3D) will become very popular in next 5 years compared to current cameras at rock bottom prices which is written on the wall seeing the way semi-con industry functions.

3D video is another ballgame.
Old 23rd September 2010, 15:57   #5061
BHPian

Need to pick up some lenses for my Nikon D3000. Will be leaving to the US next month. What is the best place to get the lenses? Amazon? Are there any other sources?

Currently short listed lenses are
1. 50mm/f1.4 Nikkor ( Does a 35mm/1.4 be better?)
2. 55-200 (or 50 - 300) f4.5-f5.6.

These 2 lenses should serve the purpose well for some time till i get the hang of things. Do i need to buy a macro lens at this stage? I am still learning photography!
I like to shoot landscapes as well. Does a wide angle lens make a difference?
Old 23rd September 2010, 17:00   #5062
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So you and me might end up buying a Full Frame 3D body with compatible lenses...and the 3D glasses too
3D DSLRs? Hmm..so let us all of us be prepared be shell out TWICE the mount of money for 2 lenses of each speed and focal length!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Need to pick up some lenses for my Nikon D3000. Will be leaving to the US next month. What is the best place to get the lenses? Amazon? Are there any other sources?

If you are learning photography as nearly all of us here on this forum are, buy your lenses in steps/instalments.

A wideangle is a must if you want to shoot landscapes. Don't go in for dedicated i.e. prime WA just yet. Buy a zoom. A good WA zoom I've heard of is the 18-200 AF-S VR DX. But not sure if it fits in your budget. Other sources in the US are Adorama and B&H Photovideo.

Cheers!
Old 23rd September 2010, 18:14   #5063
BHPian

Since D3000 is not a full frame camera, technically a 50mm lens would give results like the 35mm lens on the same camera (pros here please correct me if I am wrong). Having said that still go for 50mm, AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D costs just $120 on Amazon.
For 70-300 I will recommend the following -
Sigma 70-300mm F/4-5.6 DG OS for $380 (this is has auto focus & optical stabilization)
Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF for $130 (Auto focus but no vibration reduction)

The 50mm will do for most of your needs, it has got rave reviews for indoor and low light conditions, some people even say that its so good that it out performs some $1000 worth lenses.

Note - All Nikkor lenses are under international warranty, I have emailed Sigma to know their warranty status in India and will keep you posted.

Quote:

These 2 lenses should serve the purpose well for some time till i get the hang of things. Do i need to buy a macro lens at this stage? I am still learning photography!
Old 23rd September 2010, 18:25   #5064
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
Since D3000 is not a full frame camera, technically a 50mm lens would give results like the 35mm lens on the same camera (pros here please correct me if I am wrong). .
Actually it would give 50*1.5 = 75mm on a APS-C(1.5x crop) camera, not 35mm
So a 50mm lens will be 50mm on full frame, and 75mm on a crop sensor.
Old 23rd September 2010, 18:34   #5065
BHPian

Quote:
Since D3000 is not a full frame camera, technically a 50mm lens would give results like the 35mm lens on the same camera
Here's the definition:

Nikon's DX sensors measure 15.8 x 23.6 mm, while 35mm film and FX digital sensors measure 24 x 36mm. DX sensors are 1.5x smaller than 35mm film.

So the deal is if you use a 50mm Lens on a DX camera, You are actually getting the result of a 75mm lens (50 x 1.5 = 75) which is attached to a FX Sensor camera or a standard 35mm film camera.

This is called the crop factor. You could enlighten yourself on the below mentioned link by Kenrockwell:
Crop Factor
Hope this helps.
Old 23rd September 2010, 18:37   #5066
BHPian

Thanks for the correction, I am still a learner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Actually it would give 50*1.5 = 75mm on a APS-C(1.5x crop) camera, not 35mm
So a 50mm lens will be 50mm on full frame, and 75mm on a crop sensor.
Thanks for the details

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
Here's the definition:
Nikon's DX sensors measure 15.8 x 23.6 mm, while 35mm film and FX digital sensors measure 24 x 36mm. DX sensors are 1.5x smaller than 35mm film.
So the deal is if you use a 50mm Lens on a DX camera, You are actually getting the result of a 75mm lens (50 x 1.5 = 75) which is attached to a FX Sensor camera or a standard 35mm film camera.
This is called the crop factor. You could enlighten yourself on the below mentioned link by Kenrockwell:
Crop Factor
Hope this helps.
Old 23rd September 2010, 18:52   #5067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
......Do i need to buy a macro lens at this stage? I am still learning photography! I like to shoot landscapes as well. Does a wide angle lens make a difference?
When are you returning ?
Mind buying a 50mm f/1.4 for me too ? Seriously. But before that I would prefer to compare the price difference, because 99% chances are getting grey product here for the US price. I assume you have the kit lense 18-55. You can sell it and buy a Sigma 10-20 or Tokina 11-16 and the 50mm f/1.4. All the rest could be added later.

Quote:
Note - All Nikkor lenses are under international warranty, I have emailed Sigma to know their warranty status in India and will keep you posted.
Wrong. If you buy from US, you might have only the US warranty, not valid in India. Or you might get the international warranty by paying extra. I got my 35mm 1.8 shipped from B&H US and it has only US warranty.
Old 23rd September 2010, 20:26   #5068
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wrong. If you buy from US, you might have only the US warranty, not valid in India. Or you might get the international warranty by paying extra. I got my 35mm 1.8 shipped from B&H US and it has only US warranty.
Rajatsingh78 is right. Note that Nikon's Film SLRs, lenses & flashes are covered under international warranty.

Nikon's DSLRs are covered by a country specific warranty.

See here:

Things to consider before purchasing a Nikon product

Rgds,
Old 23rd September 2010, 20:52   #5069
Senior - BHPian

I am confused, because B&H site mentions the same product in 2 titles; 'USA' and 'Imported' and the prices are different. The lens that I got from B&H does have a warranty card that mentions "Warranty applicable only for USA". That was shipped in February 2010, so I dont know if things have changed now.

Anyway I had taken a decision never to ship from US from that day, because I paid the MRP here with all that custom duty, shipping etc. that too with the useless US warranty that I mentioned above.

Last edited by shajufx : 23rd September 2010 at 20:53.
Old 23rd September 2010, 21:11   #5070
Senior - BHPian

"Imported" stuff at B&H are usually cheaper. It simply means they import stuff from other countries (mostly Asian countries) and sometimes come with photocopied user manuals (since the original manuals may be in some Asian language). These imported items only carry B&H warranty which means they have no manufacturer's warranty. So if you are buying something with a "USA only" warranty, it may be better (cheaper) to buy the Imported item since both carry no international warranty. Another thing to note is that imported items are not eligible for discounts/rebates etc. from manufacturers.

Last edited by pjbiju : 23rd September 2010 at 21:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks