Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2010, 22:31   #4996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
A 5D will fall woefully short of Navins expectations. Infact due to point 1, no canon camera currently matches what navin wants in a video standpoint.
Its one thing shooting HD on a tripod, and another shooting HD in real world. None of canons cams do continuous AF during video. Nikon has it, and canon may have it in future versions.
But right now, the HD video feature on Canon cameras is useful for pre planned shooting. For shooting moving kids, or street shooting moving objects its pretty useless.
Tanveer
You must be right as I work only with Canon stills.
At the start, I thought it was only about still camera, but now the weight seems to be quite in a different direction. I must have misunderstood the requirements somewhere.

If it has anything to do with Video, it's a different league and different parameters.

And I should stop here as I am not shooting Videos with DSLR. Maybe someone else better qualified in Videos can be approached for suggestions.

What about buying a full-HD pocket dedicated Video Camera ?

Many regards. Ajay
Old 17th September 2010, 22:49   #4997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
Sorry to bug you more but if CCD is better why most full frame dslr's using CMOS (called APS or something, can't recall exactly)? Most of the sites gives confusing answers.

Let's make it more clearer, as a pro what would you prefer?
Joy,
Cost, manufacturing, low power requirement and overall company strategy has selected CMOS. That's it. Like it or not !

My criteria of selection was Canon because I have always used Canon and it never once failed me. The lens range is one of the best and its fantastic equipment. If I was using Nikon from beginning, I probably would stick to Nikon today, provided its funtionality in some way or the other is a limitation. I do not have that issue with Canon as yet, therefore, it remains my current choice.

Many regards. Ajay

Last edited by Ajay Narayan : 17th September 2010 at 22:53.
Old 17th September 2010, 23:17   #4998
Joy
BHPian

Though I have no idea regarding Cannon DSLR's. As far as I have read in different websites like dpreview, Steve's digicams, etc., Canon has a tendency to have over emphasize on red colours. I am personally using at present a basic camera like TZ-15 (TZ-5) with no or minimal manual controls. I want to upgrade that's why I am asking this? I am giving a plain and simple differentiator in dpreview. Both are almost same Prosumer cameras, but one with CCD and the other with CMOS. Can you as example tell me which one is better and why? Here is the link for a better understanding of my point of view:

With CCD:
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 digital camera specifications: Digital Photography Review

With CMOS:
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100 digital camera specifications: Digital Photography Review

Being a newbie and also a middle class people, I want the best in terms of bang for my money. I don't mind upgrading from basic, but I want my learning curve as smooth as possible.

Just an example, if I buy a Canon Canon EOS-1D Mark IV now, that won't do any justifications as I can't utilize it's potential.

Hope you understand my dilemma and answer.

Extremely sorry to bug you as ever, but you see I have no-one to answer my queries.

Thanks in advance.
Old 17th September 2010, 23:22   #4999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Extremely sorry to bug you as ever, but you see I have no-one to answer my queries.

Thanks in advance.
you would if you posted your query in the right thread. There is a sticky thread running on DSLRs as well as digital cameras in shifting gears-electronic section.

It's a matter of choice. Nobody can choose the camera for you other than yourself. And the perfect camera has not been made yet, in fact it will never be.

Some of us can help, but we need to know what your requirements are.
Old 17th September 2010, 23:39   #5000
Joy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
you would if you posted your query in the right thread. There is a sticky thread running on DSLRs as well as digital cameras in shifting gears-electronic section.

It's a matter of choice. Nobody can choose the camera for you other than yourself. And the perfect camera has not been made yet, in fact it will never be.

Some of us can help, but we need to know what your requirements are.
Please go through all my previous post and then answer. don't answer based on my new post. I am fully aware of this thread on DSLR's in shifting gears but this is I am asking as one to one to Ajay Narayan as he and Rudra is the one in my eyes (even tsk1979 can come a distant second). If you have any problem regarding this (I am extremely sorry) or do you have any answers reagrding my query, please do answer.

Please don't interrupt the conversation.

Once again, I am not asking somebody to narrow down my perfect camera, I am just asking about the technical part.

Thanks and no heart feeling please.
Old 17th September 2010, 23:50   #5001
BHPian

Quote:
Though I have no idea regarding Cannon DSLR's. As far as I have read in different websites like dpreview, Steve's digicams, etc., Canon has a tendency to have over emphasize on red colours. I am personally using at present a basic camera like TZ-15 (TZ-5) with no or minimal manual controls. I want to upgrade that's why I am asking this? I
Just an example, if I buy a Canon Canon EOS-1D Mark IV now, that won't do any justifications as I can't utilize it's potential.

Thanks in advance.

Joy,
Understand your dilemma, so here is the reply.
As a priinciple, I would not recommend anything if I am not sure about it. I do not know Panasonic and it would not be right on my part to give a hypothetical reply based on reviews. But you should continue checking websites for results and more reviews. I am sure you will find answers that suite your 'requirements', which is the key.

Wish you luck and success. Just don't give-up.
Many regards. Ajay
Old 18th September 2010, 11:24   #5002
Joy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay Narayan View Post
Joy,
Understand your dilemma, so here is the reply.
As a priinciple, I would not recommend anything if I am not sure about it. I do not know Panasonic and it would not be right on my part to give a hypothetical reply based on reviews. But you should continue checking websites for results and more reviews. I am sure you will find answers that suite your 'requirements', which is the key.

Wish you luck and success. Just don't give-up.
Many regards. Ajay
Thanks Ajay, for all your help. Your input really helped me a lot in terms of various technical aspect of sensors and lenses.

Thanks once again.
Old 18th September 2010, 12:19   #5003
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
None of canons cams do continuous AF during video...For shooting moving kids, or street shooting moving objects its pretty useless.
Ouch! I did not know this! If this is true then I will have to stick to my 40D for some time.

Rudra-da help! What is this? no AF? Cant be true!

Quote:
What about buying a full-HD pocket dedicated Video Camera ?
My wife has one - a Canon HF10. It was gifted to me but she "stole" it and refuses to give it back. I want something she wont "steal" from me. She wont bother with a big DSLR.
Old 18th September 2010, 12:40   #5004
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Ouch! I did not know this! If this is true then I will have to stick to my 40D for some time.

Rudra-da help! What is this? no AF? Cant be true!
Well its not no AF, you have to focus before shooting, and start shooting. If you want to focus during video, eg if subject moves, I think you can half press shutter button during video again and again as your subject moves.
Nikon recently followed panasonic into giving continuous AF during video. As usual nikon followed suit. Canon will come with this in 8D or 70D

Quote:
My wife has one - a Canon HF10. It was gifted to me but she "stole" it and refuses to give it back. I want something she wont "steal" from me. She wont bother with a big DSLR.
Buy a professional huge 4/3 mount or sony A mount camcorder.
I am sure she won't be bothered to carry that around.
Old 18th September 2010, 12:46   #5005
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think you can half press shutter button during video again and again as your subject moves.
Nikon recently followed panasonic into giving continuous AF during video. As usual nikon followed suit. Canon will come with this in 8D or 70D
Buy a professional huge 4/3 mount or sony A mount camcorder.
I am sure she won't be bothered to carry that around.
1. so can I record and AF at the same time? my subject move and move suddenly.
2. cant this be done in a firm ware upgrade?
3. I wont carry a big camcorder and SLR at the same time either but 1 SLR that does both is fine.
Old 18th September 2010, 13:23   #5006
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Joy,
Cost, manufacturing, low power requirement and overall company strategy has selected CMOS. That's it. Like it or not !
If a sensor provides all this there is nothing to dislike. I am novice at photograpy but below point of CCD vs CMOS caught my eye from electronics point of view

[/quote]

Quote:
Joe,
CCDs as such are better in image quality, less distortion and higher resolution. CCD uses special manufacturing process transporting charge across the chip. High quality sensors and better light sensitivity is obtained but more expensive and consumes more power with heat generation.
Highlighted portion is simply a FUD propogated on net by some manufacturer /consortiuem who invested in CCD sensors ( DALSA).
For independent comparison compare noise curve of two independent manufacturers from some other site such as DPReview and see your self.

CCD vs CMOS there is no. perticular advantage from Noise point of view for using CCD. They are simply 2 different technologies production cost of CMOS is much lower but that does not means it is necessarily inferior.

A superior or equivelent technology can be cheaper as well. Howevr once somone has invested millions in a particular technology then the fixed cost of fab is already sinked in and they can't simply move to alternative without reaping the benifits of fixed cost.
So nikons and sonys ( Anyway Nikon procures CCD from Sony) have to wait to get benifit of lower per unit manufacturing till the crossover point of (already sinked in fixed cost)+ (per unit CCD manufacturing cost) vs (lower per unit CMOS production cost + (new high fixed cost for CMOS is breached.)

One more thing is CMOS sensor is less suseptible to dust simply because it is not a CCD. An analogy can be any other charged device which works as dust magnet like CRT.

I agree with rest of your answer that Camera should be select based on other aspects and not CMOS vs CCD
Old 18th September 2010, 17:12   #5007
BHPian

Hi Guys, I need little help from the pro members here,

I am planning to buy a Nikon D5000, but someone put in my mind about reviewing Canon 550D,
We all know how good Nikon D90 was, I chose Nikon D5000 because it uses the D90 CMOS processor,
I will be using this for hobby initially and then later upgrade to telephoto lenses for wildlife photography.
Please help.

Since one of my friend is getting this from US, can anyone throw any light on international warranty, I don't want to risk buying something upward 40,000 with no warranty in India.

Thanks
Old 18th September 2010, 17:20   #5008
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
Hi Guys, I need little help from the pro members here,

I am planning to buy a Nikon D5000, but someone put in my mind about reviewing Canon 550D,
We all know how good Nikon D90 was, I chose Nikon D5000 because it uses the D90 CMOS processor,
I will be using this for hobby initially and then later upgrade to telephoto lenses for wildlife photography.
Please help.

Since one of my friend is getting this from US, can anyone throw any light on international warranty, I don't want to risk buying something upward 40,000 with no warranty in India.

Thanks
Nikon DSLRs do NOT have international warranties (film SLRs, flashes, lenses do), therefore a camera bought in the US is not covered under warranty in India. I am not sure about Canon's policies.

So, if warranty is key consider buying the camera in from an authorised Nikon dealer with a Nikon india warranty. It may work out to be more expensive but offer you peace of mind.

Cheers!

Last edited by R2D2 : 18th September 2010 at 17:22. Reason: typo correction
Old 19th September 2010, 16:40   #5009
BHPian

Hi Team,

This maybe OFF Topic but dint find a better place.
I have a Nikon D80 with 3 basic Lens but haven't invested in a good Bag.
Any suggestions for a good Day Pack which will fit the SLR, lens, a laptop & also some basic clothes for a day or 2.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Kumar
Old 19th September 2010, 22:26   #5010
Team-BHP Support

Can some one summarize between Tamron, Sigma and Canon Lenses. I see that for the same specifications, the pricing between the three varies quite a bit. I was looking at the 18-200 IS Canon system and realized its way too expensive compared to equivalent Tamron/Sigma.

Amit had mentioned before that there exist quite a lot of Tamron variations. I just looked at the equivalent 18-200 or the nearest.

Any inputs?

PS: I have troubled TSK enough with PMs. Thought I will spare him for the time being

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks