Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2010, 11:01   #4891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
which software is good/easy in selection of the foreground objects.. or which software is best for beginners in post processing.
Use magnetic lasso tool in any PhotoShop or any software of your choice.
In GIMP it is known as scissors select tool. Before you buy anything uou can try it in GIMP as it is FOC. Search on youtube for magnetic lasso / scissors select tutorial.
Old 6th September 2010, 11:54   #4892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Hi Guys – Need your guidance on Canon lens upgrade. [/FONT]
I currently own a Canon 1000D with 18-55 kit lens. I am planning to upgrade my lens.
I will be using the lens for general indoor portrait and outdoor landscape photography and a bit of Macro work.

I have shortlisted following lenses

Canon EF 50mm 1.8 II
Canon EF-S 60mm 2.8 macro
Sigma 30mm 1.4
Canon EF 50mm compact macro

Your reviews/suggestions will certainly help me.
Canon 50mm 1.8 definitely a great lens. I recently bought that, and enjoying it. But working distance seem a bit of a problem, particularly when it comes to group photos(used rarely). I havent used/read about Sigma 30mm 1.4, that would be a good option if the pricing is competitive.

For macro, Sigma 105 macro, or Tamron 90mm macro are one of the best. Recently checked and they are not even in stock.
Old 6th September 2010, 13:01   #4893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Use magnetic lasso tool in any PhotoShop or any software of your choice.
In GIMP it is known as scissors select tool. Before you buy anything uou can try it in GIMP as it is FOC. Search on Youtube for magnetic lasso / scissors select tutorial.
Thanks Amit for pointing to the tool, I got it in Gimp. This will serve my purpose for time being
Old 6th September 2010, 14:15   #4894
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I will buy it in Singapore without any worry. According to Canon Singapore website, Canon Singapore warranty is valid in India too.
On my way back home yesterday, I had a transit period of 14 hours at Singapore during which I had stomachful food at Komala Vilas, Little India, got quotation for Canon 550D 18-55mm lens kit from Mustafa Centre and ended up buying it at COMEX 2010, Suntec mall. I got loads of freebies like 8GB SDHC, professional tripod, EOS bag, extra battery, lens cover, Seagate 320GB extrnal HDD, EOS 550D user guide and lens workbook with India warranty. I paid S$ 1449 using my Axis Bank travel currency card and got GST refund of S$ 79.70 at Changi airport. I had smooth sailing at Bangalore International Airport last night, no questions asked.

Old 6th September 2010, 14:25   #4895
Senior - BHPian

I think it was Chase Jarvis who said, the camera thats with you is the best camera in the world. I went to a Railway station few days back and I had only my Vivaz with me, here is a comparison of what we get from it. Its only resized, it had perfect sharpness for every shot taken.
The DSLR Thread-yr.jpg

A 100% crop from the left.
The DSLR Thread-100.jpg

The reason why I posted it here; I have to sharpen every pic that comes out of my D90 regardless of the lens or lighting. This one just amazed me with its details. Would I get a better pic with my D90 in the above scenario ? I really doubt.

Last edited by shajufx : 6th September 2010 at 14:28.
Old 6th September 2010, 16:06   #4896
BHPian

HI Guys:

I have been meaning to write to get some expert feedback on tripods. Can the gurus please help me and point towards a definite choice. My budget is 12-15K and I prefer Manfrotto. Mostly for nature and landscapes. My heaviest lens I am thinking of owning is 300mm/F4 with TC 1.4X

1. Which is a better choice: Manfrotto 055XPRO B or 190XPROB? I am not inclined towards a Carbon fiber one. Those things are expensive

2. Tripod head: 486RC2 or any other recommendation

Thanks will greatly appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers!
Old 6th September 2010, 16:28   #4897
BHPian

Any thoughts on Lens Stabilization vs Sensor stabilization

Sensor stabilization seems to have the advantage, for future lenses that one will buy - image stabilization will not be a criteria.

Canon / Nikon seem to have only lens stabilization.
Pentax and a couple other brands have taken the image sensor stabilization path.

But it not easy to buy em in India.
Old 6th September 2010, 16:31   #4898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter.e.go View Post
Any thoughts on Lens Stabilization vs Sensor stabilization

Sensor stabilization seems to have the advantage, for future lenses that one will buy - image stabilization will not be a criteria.

Canon / Nikon seem to have only lens stabilization.
Pentax and a couple other brands have taken the image sensor stabilization path.

But it not easy to buy em in India.
Agreed. In-camera stabilization (I don't know if it sensor that is stabilized though) typically has lower lifecycle costs but it does not have stabilization customised to any particular lens and thereby hangs a tale for many advanced photographers. Just my thought!
Old 7th September 2010, 14:19   #4899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Would I get a better pic with my D90 in the above scenario ? I really doubt.
The answer is both yes and no. I also own a D90 and feel sometimes the same thing. What I have experienced over a period of time is that we end up shooting with it like a P & S sometimes even not selecting the correct mode. I am sure you wont be doing that.

The problems with the high end equipment is that for best results you must select the right settings and parameters. This is time consuming and many times not feasible.

In the first picture you will have a much better depth of field if you choose it right. The second part (you said is cropped part) is not all impressive. A correct selection of mode on D90 will easily beat that.

One more thing, sometimes just compare the night shots and some landscapes and you will get the answer.

I personally keep my Sony Cybershot along with my Nikon D90. I keep using my sony on certain occasions. The sony gives good results in bright sunny settings.
Old 7th September 2010, 15:25   #4900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
....we end up shooting with it like a P & S sometimes even not selecting the correct mode.......I personally keep my Sony Cybershot along with my Nikon D90. I keep using my sony on certain occasions. The sony gives good results in bright sunny settings.
Mine is mostly on Aperture Priority, very rarely it goes to Shutter Priority. I dont remember if it ever clicked anything on 'Auto' mode. I dont even know if the Auto or the Scene buttons actually works on my D90 , never checked it. But if someone prefers to shoot in 'Auto' mode, dont buy a DSLR, a good quality P&S can do the work well.

A 100% crop from D90 is not much different from what I posted earlier in most shots. Low light and bokeh are something that would not stand a comparison, I agree. Early I was very reserved about carrying the D90 in a busy area or crowded places, the thought of getting noticed was a real killer. But I think I have overcome that already.

All said and done, there are some amazing shots posted on flickr and such sites taken by a P&S cam, I hit my head hard for the day I can beat that with a DSLR. Learning is fun, but it requires a lot of patience !
Old 7th September 2010, 16:52   #4901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Mine is mostly on Aperture Priority, very rarely it goes to Shutter Priority. I dont remember if it ever clicked anything on 'Auto' mode. I dont even know if the Auto or the Scene buttons actually works on my D90 , never checked it. But if someone prefers to shoot in 'Auto' mode, dont buy a DSLR, a good quality P&S can do the work well.

All said and done, there are some amazing shots posted on flickr and such sites taken by a P&S cam, I hit my head hard for the day I can beat that with a DSLR. Learning is fun, but it requires a lot of patience !
+1 to your views Shaju!

I've been using my D80 for last 3 years. Used it in "Auto Mode" for first 2-3 months, Switched to "Manual" mode after that and never looked back!

This gives different level of satisfaction:

1. You own the camera here, Camera does'nt own you
2. Take the 100% blame or credit when you screw up the composition or got it right in the first go.
3. Scope to learn more and the thrill of getting out of the world results.

I believe a SLR camera in Auto mode is like owning a chauffeur driven Ferrari.
Old 7th September 2010, 18:19   #4902
Team-BHP Support

Guys. still harping on my doubts. I dont see myself exploring stuff in photography. But for holidays would still like to have a camera that would take good landscapes.

Hence buying SLR does not make sense to me (per my understanding). The basic models will come up with an 18-55 lens. Is that good enough for landscape and long shots?

Or its better to buy super-zoom cameras like FZ35/FZ100 (Or any other, please specify)?

Low light capabilities is not a must have, but good to have.

So what are the options? Comments welcome.
Old 7th September 2010, 20:21   #4903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
.....I dont see myself exploring stuff in photography. But for holidays would still like to have a camera that would take good landscapes.....
I think a good quality P&S is all what you need. DSLR is a waste of money if you dont plan to move out of the 'Auto' mode of shooting, which means spending time to learn the techniques, compromise on travelling slightly heavier, acquiring and caring for lenses that usually follow a DSLR etc. There are many things. A bit of reading reviews and user-opinions could lead you to a good P&S that will do all your work fantastic. Latest P&S cameras have many features that can create stunning images even in very low light. Main advantage is the 'compact'ness and ease-of-use. You can throw it in any bag while you travel, whereas a DSLR will be an independent bag that needs constant care and protection.

There is a dedicated digital camera thread, you will find tons of info there, in case you haven't seen it yet .
Old 7th September 2010, 20:40   #4904
Team-BHP Support

That is exactly my thought process. But not sure of a good buy. I am checking out on the other thread as well!

In fact the best snaps (I think) which I have taken are from my Sony Cam-Corder. SR11 as compared to my Salesman like P&S Sony !

Last edited by ampere : 7th September 2010 at 20:47.
Old 7th September 2010, 21:14   #4905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
That is exactly my thought process. But not sure of a good buy.
Go through dpreview and see the best ratings, might help you to decide faster. There are many useful sites that are known for unbiased reviews and ratings.

Most Viewed