Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2010, 13:12   #4141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
On Canon 500D body there is a DOF switch which is quite helpful , If you press and look in viewfinder you will see the final image WYSIWYG.
To get what you see, you need to be able to see . If you didn't get what I meant, try to do some close up shots of a flower with apertures like f8 or f11 and use the DOF preview button.
Old 3rd June 2010, 13:19   #4142
BHPian

Any one looking to sell there camera ? I am looking for a DSLR.
Old 3rd June 2010, 18:31   #4143
BHPian

Can anybody help me understanding the following
1) Difference between Point & Shoot (FZ35) and an entry level DSLR (EOS1000?)
2) Cost of both is more or less the same on eBay (when purchased with B&W)
Old 4th June 2010, 00:57   #4144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer View Post
I will let experts answer first point, although it's clear point and shoot is a point and shoot camera with fixed lense, a DSLR is a digital SLR (removable lense, larger sensor etc).

Second question, you want to know why the prices are comparable?
Old 4th June 2010, 02:04   #4145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer View Post
To give an analogy of bikes
a P&S is like a Karizma or any other plastic. Buy the bike , fill petrol and forget about the rest. Doesn't matter much even if you abuse it.

A DSLR on the other hand is like a Royal Enfield. Purchase is just the start. You want to spend & learn more and more. Burns a hole in your pocket if you are not careful.

The P&S have an smaller sensor. In terms of sensor size & quality of the image/sharpness :
Mobile cams < P&S < DSLR (1.6 Crop factor) < Full Frame

The DSLR means more creativity - The Auto mode is seldom used after the first week if you are keen and get someone to guide you. I have seen P&S never ever budged from their auto modes.

Even the el cheapo DSLR is faster in terms of startup time and FPS (frames per second) than an P&S. Also, in an high end P&S, features of a DLSR will be simulated. The P&S does not have a shutter.

If you are interested in being more creative in photography, get an DSLR. (On the other hand, its all in the head. Equipment won't matter much. Search for Chase Jarvis. This guy has a portfolio of about 32 pics taken by an iphone on his site. Brilliant)

And yup, if you hold an DSLR, people automatically assume that you are a pro and know much about photography.

Net result is same - if is the pleasure of handling the thing and want to go deeper in the field, Go for an RE.. oops the DSLR.

Go for an 1000D, start reading on the net and experiment.
If you are still interested in P&S, Nikon P100 is a good option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Trust me, on field DOF calculation is almost impossible unless you are carrying an iphone app and the subject you are shooting is not moving at all. That's one reason I do all my calculations and decide on what apertures I would be shooting at, in the morning before I head out. Always helps me.
Enlighten us please. I have only heard of DOF calculations till now. What, why? how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokie View Post
Can you tell me where this shop/market is?

And there is a very active HPC on Flickr. I never knew that. It's sad because I am off to Indore in a couple of weeks and there is no sign of an IPC.
You can go to Gunjan Karun in Indore for photography workshop (Found him in online research)
Learn digital photography in Indore

And if you don't have an IPC, start one

Last edited by Technocrat : 4th June 2010 at 15:33. Reason: Please use multi-quote option for replying to multiple posts instead of creating back to back posts, thanks
Old 4th June 2010, 02:47   #4146
Senior - BHPian

HW, am using the kmk DOF app for the S60 which works ok.

I agree with HW on the DOF preview button. the 1000D does come with DOF preview button, but apart from the viewfinder getting darker, the image turns out to be an entirely different one.

I think the 55-250 IS is the way forward, i fail to understand how the 70-300 APO DG MACRO is better than 55-250 IS.

btw, what are the prices for speedlites? if not a speedlite, which other manufacturer should we look at?
Old 4th June 2010, 10:57   #4147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
I agree with HW on the DOF preview button. the 1000D does come with DOF preview button, but apart from the viewfinder getting darker, the image turns out to be an entirely different one.
It will turn darker because the aperture blades will close to the aperture value which is set. Thus, you will get to see the real DOF of your picture to be clicked. However, the picture won't turn darker if you are shooting at max aperture and if you press the dof preview, as the blades are already retracted and aperture is wide open and there is no need to narrow it down for preview.

Last edited by clevermax : 4th June 2010 at 11:01.
Old 4th June 2010, 11:22   #4148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HW, am using the kmk DOF app for the S60 which works ok.

My experience is that image is same , If you see the viewfinder to be darker it is what you will get without flash but WYSIWYG.

Quote:
I think the 55-250 IS is the way forward, i fail to understand how the 70-300 APO DG MACRO is better than 55-250 IS.
So go ahead and buy it I think you asked the question, It is purely a choice if you want to buy a 250 MM with IS or 300MM where you need a tripod always. I am not sure how good image stabilization in 55-250 at 250mm though. Personally I found nothing wrong in APO DG's IQ at 300mm as some people have alleged , It would be wrong to say it is soft at 300 mm because you are not supposed to shoot hand-held at long end and it is sharp if you use tripod.

When one says fast it means aperture opening which is more or less same for both of them. About focusing speed both do not have USM so it is slow.

If you have moolah to spare 70-300 IS USM is the best , I have tried 55-250 and 70-300 IS USM in shop and there is simply no comparison.
Old 4th June 2010, 11:46   #4149
Senior - BHPian

To all those who feel buying a dslr means investing in different lenses there is one wonderful option from Canon. 18-200 EF IS. This lens takes care of all your wide angle and most zooming requirements. The AF is very very fast and image quality is great too.
It saves you from the hassle of carrying multiple lenses, is lightweight, and no need to change lenses. You can leave it on forever.
If you travel quite a bit this one really helps and I recommend a look at this option, though a tad expensive, but fully worth it. Ive been very happy with mine.
Old 4th June 2010, 12:03   #4150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I will let experts answer first point, although it's clear point and shoot is a point and shoot camera with fixed lense, a DSLR is a digital SLR (removable lense, larger sensor etc).

Second question, you want to know why the prices are comparable?
Regarding the second question, I wanted to ask, does it make sence going in for a P&S and DSLR is available at the same price.
As of now, I have a Canon 590IS and want to upgrade to a better camera. I will mostly be taking pictures of family and occasionally other things (when we go out on trips).
The camera should be easy to use, as sometimes, my wife would also use it, if I am driving.
Old 4th June 2010, 12:08   #4151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_sweat View Post
Enlighten us please. I have only heard of DOF calculations till now. What, why? how?
Err, about what? Like I said I do my calculations for DOF even before I head out. I know what I am going out for (macro, landscape etc.), I know what lens I would be using and the aperture ranges on them. And to a pretty large extent I know the subject distance. I key in all this info, and change the aperture to see which will give me enough DOF. And I end up using that when I am on field. I do not have the time to open the app and check for DOF etc on field, so I do it much ahead in time.
Old 4th June 2010, 12:44   #4152
BHPian

Canon EOS 550d- First DSLR!

Hi Guys,

Will most likely buy the 550d tommorow with the EF 18-55mm lens.
It has been stocked out at Canon usa online store for sometime now.thats where i would have prefered to get it from.But im in Syndey currently ,the cheapest(considering 10% GST refund for tourists) & most popular store here is d-d-photographics.DWI is another good online store for DSLRs/P&S here in Australia.

1.What i want to know is should i just go ahead & get the 50-250mm lens also or play around with the base kit for a while.
2.What memory card should i get ,brand/size-8/16GB?
3.Are these prices good?

Prices in INR - 550d with 18-55mm :40k approx
with 18-55+50-250 : 51k approx
This is after considering the 10% GST.

Alot of the previous posts have been helpful if there is anything else that i should know,do point out.

Thanks & Cheers!

P.S- Checked with Alfa in B'bay - 18-55mm is for 45k,slightly negotiable i guess.
Old 4th June 2010, 13:06   #4153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhirajs View Post
1.What i want to know is should i just go ahead & get the 50-250mm lens also or play around with the base kit for a while.
2.What memory card should i get ,brand/size-8/16GB?
I have very little experience in DSLR. But what I can suggest is, you will need 18-55 lens anyway. 50-250 lens is ZOOM lense, so you will not be able to capture short distance photo with 55-250. Make sure you buy IS lens.

8 GB is enough. If you are expert on imaging software tools, and you know how to process the RAW format images, then you can think of 16 GB. But if you are not at all interested or does not know how to process RAW images (size starts from 15MB+) then I would suggest to go with 8 GB.
Old 4th June 2010, 13:36   #4154
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_sweat View Post
The P&S have an smaller sensor. In terms of sensor size & quality of the image/sharpness :
Mobile cams < P&S < DSLR (1.6 Crop factor) < Full Frame
just to be clear many mobile phones are now sporting the same 1/2.5" sensor that is found in P&S (although these sensors are not back lit like that of the HS10).

Quote:
Get the 55-250IS and the 270 or 430 Speedlite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
18-200 EF IS.
Superzooms have their use but have a lot of glass and every glass elements subtracts something. Primes have about 5-7 elements, 5x zooms have about 11-14 elements, 10x zooms have 15-8 elements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhirajs View Post
Will most likely buy the 550d tommorow with the EF 18-55mm lens..
The 550 is an excellent camera. I would suggest getting a better lens than the 18-55IS. The 18-55IS is a good lens for the money but really the camera begs for a better lens. I have used this camera with a 18-55IS and 17-55/2.8 IS and the difference was easy to see even on the 3" screen on the back of the camera.

Consider the 15-85IS or if on a budget the 18-135IS instead. Then if you really need a tele-zoom the 70-300IS can be added and leave no gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
although it's clear point and shoot is a point and shoot camera with fixed lense, a DSLR is a digital SLR (removable lense, larger sensor etc).
DSLR advantages
1. Big sensor - less magnification required for 8x10 and larger prints or large screens.
2. better lenses (bigger glass is one indication but not the only indication)
3. Lenses can be customised for application (long zoom, macro, tilt-shift, etc..)

P&S advantage
1. Price
2. Size and Weight

IQ is in the hand of the phtographer.
Old 4th June 2010, 16:07   #4155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

3. Lenses can be customised for application (long zoom, macro, tilt-shift, etc..)
Hi Navin

Firstly, sorry I didn't call you while I was in Mumbai. I had an hectic trip and couldn't take time out to meet you, so dropped the idea. I could have called though, but I could do that from here too..

Can you explain what tilt-shift is? Hearing it for the 2nd time, but I don't know what it is [I understand long zoom, macro etc].

Thanks
aK

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks