Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2010, 22:42   #3391
BHPian

Just purchased a Canon D1000 I want to know how you get those great effects in PS. Any tuts for that?
Old 26th March 2010, 22:54   #3392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Just purchased a Canon D1000 I want to know how you get those great effects in PS. Any tuts for that?
There is a button to add great effects in PS

Just kidding... There's no direct way to add great effects in PS, you have to know the basics of editing, and of course, it depends from picture to picture and your imagination.
Old 26th March 2010, 22:57   #3393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I find too many buttons and thats my confusion!
Need to know which button to use where and when. Clever anytime you plan to pass by Bangalore, dont go without meeting up, lots to learn from you.
Old 26th March 2010, 23:12   #3394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

Just kidding... There's no direct way to add great effects in PS, you have to know the basics of editing, and of course, it depends from picture to picture and your imagination.
Know a bit of PS. So what is basically done is adjusting levels, colors, etc right?
Old 26th March 2010, 23:20   #3395
Senior - BHPian

If you ask about what I do with my basic knowledge is exactly what you mentioned, but not with the experts like clever etc. Clever even changes a man to woman through PS. So, thats a different level of workmanship.
Old 27th March 2010, 08:43   #3396

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Raj, are they not same as close up filters ? I really dont know, but someone told me close-up filter is a piece of magnifying glass itself, conveniently built with various thread sizes so that you can just screw it on the lens.
Exactly, these are just magnifying glasses with different focal lengths but quite expensive for a cheap magnifying glass.

Raj
Old 27th March 2010, 10:28   #3397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
If you ask about what I do with my basic knowledge is exactly what you mentioned, but not with the experts like clever etc. Clever even changes a man to woman through PS. So, thats a different level of workmanship.

Never done that shaju!
To be honest, I don't know much of the advanced techniques in PS. One can create those 'great effects' (as we call it here) even with basic editing techniques, the key is, achieving perfection in doing those. I think experts like TG will even vouch for that!
Old 28th March 2010, 10:35   #3398
BHPian

hey this my first post on this thread, I'm new to DSLRs though I used to own an old Pentax K-1000 and a Praktica (both film SLRs). Now using a Canon S-5 IS prosumer point and shoot. Recently a friend purchased a Canon EOS 500 D (same as Rebel XTi?) It has an Autofocus system which I was not able to disengage even in M mode, moreover I could not find any focusing aid like split rings/hemispheres etc in the viewfinder even in full manual mode like the film SLRs. The focusing ring on the lens only zooms up and down but does not focus, any gyan on this?
Old 28th March 2010, 11:28   #3399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
hey this my first post on this thread, I'm new to DSLRs though I used to own an old Pentax K-1000 and a Praktica (both film SLRs). Now using a Canon S-5 IS prosumer point and shoot. Recently a friend purchased a Canon EOS 500 D (same as Rebel XTi?) It has an Autofocus system which I was not able to disengage even in M mode, moreover I could not find any focusing aid like split rings/hemispheres etc in the viewfinder even in full manual mode like the film SLRs. The focusing ring on the lens only zooms up and down but does not focus, any gyan on this?
I have the same camera, and the MF mode indeed disengages Auto focusing. What lens is he using? There will be two rings in the lens, one for focusing (thing band closer to the edge of the lens in case its a stock 18-55), and one for zooming (thicker band, bang in the middle where you would usually hold the lens while clicking).

The view finder definitely has a spot metering indicator / ring, as well as focal points that light up for second while in auto focus - are you looking for something else?
Old 28th March 2010, 12:10   #3400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
delete the post. wrong thread
Why, for heaven's sake? I did query about an EOS 500D, which IS a DSLR, and this thread IS all about DSLRs isn't it?. Why are you being so dictatorial? relax man, take a chill pill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I have the same camera, and the MF mode indeed disengages Auto focusing. What lens is he using? There will be two rings in the lens, one for focusing (thing band closer to the edge of the lens in case its a stock 18-55), and one for zooming (thicker band, bang in the middle where you would usually hold the lens while clicking).
The view finder definitely has a spot metering indicator / ring, as well as focal points that light up for second while in auto focus - are you looking for something else?
Thanks a lot, pal! he is using the standard lens which came with the camera, 18-55, I guess. Will check out the MF mode. I was looking for two halves of a circle which coincide together to make a full circle when the focus is ok, seen anything like this on DSLRs? it was quite common on manual film SLRs like the classic Nikon FM-1 BTW it was a Nikon F series camera that went to the moon with the Apollo missions! it was also std US Army issue for war correspondents during the Vietnam war!
Old 28th March 2010, 12:28   #3401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks a lot, pal! he is using the standard lens which came with the camera, 18-55, I guess. Will check out the MF mode. I was looking for two halves of a circle which coincide together to make a full circle when the focus is ok, seen anything like this on DSLRs? it was quite common on manual film SLRs like the classic Nikon FM-1 BTW it was a Nikon F series camera that went to the moon with the Apollo missions! it was also std US Army issue for war correspondents during the Vietnam war!
Well the two halfs formig full circle in manual mode is no longer there in (D)SLR you need to rely on your eyes to see focus is achive din full manual mode.
For full manual mode Move the Slider switch on Lens to MF from AF.
On the camera body move the dial to M position now set the Shutter , Apurture , and+/- Ev compensation.

For focussing use the focus ring ( thing one on outer edge)
Old 28th March 2010, 12:41   #3402
Senior - BHPian

@windiesel, i meant, that i posted in the wrong thread, not YOU! sorry if that bought abput any confusion for you.

regarding your query, there is no half dials on a std 18-55 IS lens, you have to rely on your eyes, there are 2 rings that rotate, and the one ring on which the filter is mounted is used for focusing, when you switch the LENS on to MF. the thicker one is used for zooming. what lens is your friend using?
Old 28th March 2010, 12:41   #3403
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Why, for heaven's sake? I did query about an EOS 500D, which IS a DSLR, and this thread IS all about DSLRs isn't it?. Why are you being so dictatorial? relax man, take a chill pill!
You should be the one relaxing and taking chill pill, etc. He is talking about his own post. Now I am going to delete it as requested.
Old 28th March 2010, 12:54   #3404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Well the two halfs formig full circle in manual mode is no longer there in (D)SLR you need to rely on your eyes to see focus is achive din full manual mode.
For focussing use the focus ring ( thing one on outer edge)
Thanks I was waiting to hear this. Is it not taking the fun, creativity and involvement out of phtography? All you gotta do now is put it in Auto and shoot away. I bet half of the DSLR owners do not know what is a pentaprism and how it functions? What exactly is TTL metering? What the relationship is between Aperture and Depth of field? How to sync your camera with the flashgun you're using? how to use flash to fill in? What's a Bulb mode exposure and why is it called so?
The real enthusiast is always manual, e.g. Tiff Needell won't be caught dead in a Mustang with an auto box!!
Old 28th March 2010, 12:58   #3405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You should be the one relaxing and taking chill pill, etc. He is talking about his own post. Now I am going to delete it as requested.
As Confucious said, Confusion reigns supereme!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks