Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2010, 21:21   #4756
BHPian

Tks Starscream & Navin,

Today went around few Nikon authorised dealers. 3rd I, Vivilash, Byas & victory labs.
3rd i quoted the least at 52600rs on cash for the kit.
one of my friend was working with Reliance retails earlier & he will be trying to get the best price from Reliance.
Next week I will be buying D90 kit, most probably from 3rd I who looks very genuine. Right now stocks are not there anywhere & expected in another 3 or 4days.
By that time I would have finished my (re)search.
Other accessories I will be getting from US.
1. SB600 flash with diffuser
2. 8GB flash card
3. Tripod
4. 35 f/1.8
5. Bag
6. Tripod
7. Hoya UV polariser/filter
8. Cleaning Kit
9. Extra battery

Pl refer a good bag & Tripod which can be bought from US. Next month my in-laws are coming back from US so i can get it from them.
Bag & Tripod should be travel friendly.

Tks .. Hemanth
Old 15th August 2010, 23:13   #4757
BHPian

@tiger: check the pvs post here regarding the bag

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2020604
Old 16th August 2010, 09:44   #4758
BHPian

Hi, Anyone using the Canon Speedlite 270EX Flash ?
I need a compact flash for 450D kit and found this one - Canon Speedlite 270EX Flash with 6 Months Vendor Warranty
Please share your thoughts. Target usage is during indoor, family snaps.

I have read on this thread about this shopping site and have found it is okay to buy from them.

Also please share your experience and suggestion about CP filter, would buy one soon(58mm). Any price range and place to buy?

Thanks!
Shyam
Old 16th August 2010, 10:02   #4759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Congrats!!
how much did toy get it for?
My fried got it today for 20500 from JJ mehta
Hey livyodream,

Could you please get more details on this, looks like the cheapest quote if it is with B&W.
Old 16th August 2010, 11:04   #4760
BHPian

^^Any idea of price at jjmehta shop for D3000? e-shop shows 22,900.

I visited a couple of camera shops and got quotes of 23,500 and 22k for the same camera. Croma wanted to sell it at 24,500 with a cheap binocular worth 1800. Wonder which idiot got caught in that scheme?

I also looked at the D5000 (34k with same kit lens) and the EOS1000D (same price) and I have narrowed it down to D3000 (no LiveView and no movie mode - which I am fine with as I use neither on my P&S) - I do not want to spend a lot of money on just body such as D5000 or D90 - even though they have much better specs). But I am a noob and plan to learn on this cheaper camera rather than go for the higher spec cameras without really utilizing its stand-out features . I will also buy the lenses I want later on as I get used to the camera/manual settings. My main interest in photography is landscapes (hills/forts etc) and wildlife. So I will be ready to take on the former atleast with this kit lens.

Thanks to "sukiwa" for his help on this hunt (which has been on/off for months/if not year(s)) and all the posters on these 300+ pages full of information.
Will probably do the purchase today/tomorrow.
Old 16th August 2010, 12:32   #4761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Hey livyodream,

Could you please get more details on this, looks like the cheapest quote if it is with B&W.

Yup, He ordered it from Ebay where JJ mehta has listed . And one can trust JJ mehta on this. Got a V shaped bag and UV filter free..
Old 16th August 2010, 13:05   #4762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Yup, He ordered it from Ebay where JJ mehta has listed . And one can trust JJ mehta on this. Got a V shaped bag and UV filter free..
Thanks Akaash. Let me check this, I am keeping my eyes close to the quotes and to make my decision
Old 16th August 2010, 14:29   #4763
Senior - BHPian

I was in for a big surprise when I searched for Sathya (chennai) to pick up my sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM II lens on Saturday night. This guy is a staff of smartshoppers.in many members might already know. Anyway I was introduced by their top regular customer in Chennai and I got the bestest deal and a promise from the owner that they will give their best for all my future deals. Saved 5k by avoiding bangalore shops. These guys have 4 shops in Chennai (Mount Road, Egmore, Nungampakkam and Anna Nagar). This lens is not even listed in their website.

I am happy with the new lens, I dont find any issues with front focus or rear focus that are common review points. Its very quick focus, super silent and solid built. Only cons I could find in 2 days is slightly softer image at 200mm f/2.8 (mainly if the subject is more than 100 meters), but 1 stop down gives fantastic sharp results. Worth every penny. Night shots, action etc. are yet to be tested. Will update here within a week.

Last edited by shajufx : 16th August 2010 at 14:31.
Old 16th August 2010, 15:15   #4764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post

I am happy with the new lens, I dont find any issues with front focus or rear focus that are common review points. Its very quick focus, super silent and solid built. Only cons I could find in 2 days is slightly softer image at 200mm f/2.8 (mainly if the subject is more than 100 meters), but 1 stop down gives fantastic sharp results. Worth every penny. Night shots, action etc. are yet to be tested. Will update here within a week.
Congrats on your purchase. Telephotos tend to be at their weakest at their long ends so this seems to be normal. But The problem of unsharp photos at infinity seems uncommon. Seems to be that he lens is having trouble focusing beyond infinity. Test this a bit more.
Old 16th August 2010, 16:19   #4765
Senior - BHPian

RAW Image Processing

I'm pretty new to the image processing thingy so require some help from guru's here.

By mistake all the images taken by me yesterday at an event were in RAW format.

Most of the pictures have been taken without Flash and because of the darkness and slow shutter speed, there is a slight blur. I have processed a few pictures through the default Canon software. Please let me know how can I improve them.

Below are the processed pictures
The DSLR Thread-img_0247.jpg

The DSLR Thread-img_0249.jpg

The DSLR Thread-img_0252.jpg

The DSLR Thread-img_0253a.jpg

Also are there any specific online tutorials that I need to read through for RAW processing ?

Last edited by MileCruncher : 16th August 2010 at 16:21.
Old 16th August 2010, 16:39   #4766
BHPian

Quote:
I was in for a big surprise when I searched for Sathya (chennai) to pick up my sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM II lens on Saturday night. This guy is a staff of smartshoppers.in many members might already know. Anyway I was introduced by their top regular customer in Chennai and I got the bestest deal and a promise from the owner that they will give their best for all my future deals. Saved 5k by avoiding bangalore shops. These guys have 4 shops in Chennai (Mount Road, Egmore, Nungampakkam and Anna Nagar). This lens is not even listed in their website.

Congratulations Shaju . Lovely lens. More pics from the trip please.
Old 16th August 2010, 16:56   #4767
BHPian

Quote:

Congrats Shaju, good to know about smartshoppers.in. Any chance you checked the prices of Wide Angle Lens? Like Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 Fixed or Tokina 11-16mm ?
Old 16th August 2010, 17:02   #4768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
But The problem of unsharp photos at infinity seems uncommon. Seems to be that he lens is having trouble focusing beyond infinity. Test this a bit more.
Will test that in detail soon. My doubt is tele end (here its 200mm) softness and unsharp photos beyond infinity = is it not the same thing ? I always thought missing sharpness is softness !

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
By mistake all the images taken by me yesterday at an event were in RAW format.......there is a slight blur.
How is that a mistake ? Infact majority prefer to shoot in RAW for the flexibility of editing options without affecting the quality. Shots look totally blurred, was it handheld ? I feel a tripod would have given crystal clear and sharp shots or may be a faster shutter speed with widest aperture or higher ISO. None of the exif is mentioned, so I doubt if anyone can comment in detail. I dont know anything about the canon software, nor any software that can solve the blur. Here is a similar shot from my cam taken in last december. Its 3 sec exposure, tripod, ISO-100, 24mm, f/10, its not edited, only resized.
The DSLR Thread-dsc_0260.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Congratulations Shaju . Lovely lens. More pics from the trip please.
Thanks bro, sadly I am left with the lowest number of decent shots than any of my photo trips till date (thanks to the freezing AC and an upset stomach). I will give you the story when we meet. Unni must be having plenty, I am sure.

CRV, prices are listed in their website itself, you can expect upto 2k difference if its picked up from their store, through a reference.

Last edited by shajufx : 16th August 2010 at 17:10.
Old 16th August 2010, 19:35   #4769
BHPian

Filter query

Hello,

I was always wondering how to correct the exposer while taking the landscape shot with bright sky. It is always that either sky will overexposed or landscape will be dark.

I was googling to find the solution to this problem and learnt that filter can be used for such situation. I also learnt that filters with half dark and half light glass will do magic, so that I can expose the dark side of the filter to the sky and light side to the landscap, logic is correct.

Now my question is, which filter (brand and model) should I buy for such condition. I searched over amazon and found some of them were costing me 100-140 EUR and some of were just for some 20-30 EUR. Please suggest me some good filter with your experience.

Regards,
Pawan P
Old 16th August 2010, 20:02   #4770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
WHere is a similar shot from my cam taken in last december. Its 3 sec exposure, tripod, ISO-100, 24mm, f/10, its not edited, only resized.
Attachment 407177
Which lens was this taken with ? I shot this sometime back and it was a balancing act done on a bench with a 8 sec exposure or so. The 18-135mm lens it was from Nikon. Was satisfied with the results.

The DSLR Thread-1.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
Hello,

I was always wondering how to correct the exposer while taking the landscape shot with bright sky. It is always that either sky will overexposed or landscape will be dark.

Regards,
Pawan P
pawan something on the same lines as in the pic below ? I used a normal polarizer for this on my Tokina 12-24mm.

The DSLR Thread-2.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks