Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2011, 13:55   #6391
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Bought a Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 Lens non-D from eBay. I am already enjoying having a lighter lens on the camera. A few photographs for comparison.

That is me with the kit lens.

Me and my Nikon by I want my screen name, on Flickr

That is me with the new acquisition, which as per records was sold to the first owner in 1996.

Me and my Nikon with prime by I want my screen name, on Flickr

And this is a shot taken with my trusted HS10 to show the difference.

Nikon - kit lens and prime by I want my screen name, on Flickr

When I first loaded the lens I got an error on the LCD which I rectified by trial and error. The explanation is provided on Ken Rockwell's site:

Quote:
Non-G lenses will have an aperture ring on the base of the lens where it's attached to the camera. Set this this ring to the smallest aperture (largest number), usually in orange and 16, 22 or 32. There usually is a lock to keep this ring set there, since if it comes off that setting you'll get an error message (fEE) from most cameras.
Old 11th February 2011, 14:39   #6392
BHPian

I have Brand New Sigma Lenses 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO for Nikon Mount for sale, got it from USA. I have not clicked more than 10-15 snaps. Please let me know if anyone is interested
Old 12th February 2011, 01:05   #6393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
I have Brand New Sigma Lenses 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO for Nikon Mount for sale, got it from USA. I have not clicked more than 10-15 snaps. Please let me know if anyone is interested
You might want to post this in the Gadgets & Electronics section of TBHP Classifieds: http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/sear.../?listing_type[equal]=GadgetsElectronics&action=search
Old 12th February 2011, 23:42   #6394
BHPian

Advice on night photography

I have been trying out some night photography and require some advice on focusing effectively in the dark. I don't like to use the flash much. As much as possible I try using the available light only. Focusing becomes a big issue in the dark. And to make things worse, the continuous "flash firing" makes it worse especially when you are taking pictures with people as subject (90% of the time, the subject gets very distracted with the flash).

So my questions are:
1. How to focus effectively in the dark?
2. How do you get a sharp picture in the dark?

I am attaching a couple of pictures to give you an idea about what exactly I am asking. My aim in the pictures was to get both the trees as well as the stars in sharp focus.

Shooting Specs on Canon 1000D:
Focal length: 18mm
Mode: Tv (30")
F-no, ISO & AWB at auto
Exp: +2
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-img_1889.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-img_1890.jpg  

Last edited by ajman28 : 12th February 2011 at 23:51. Reason: Added shooting specs
Old 13th February 2011, 14:35   #6395
Senior - BHPian

Well, I am happy to tell you all that I got a Nikon D5000 18-55VR kit + Nikkor 55-200mm lens for starters. Lets see how the DSLR experience turns out to be. Thanks everyone for the suggestions given to my previous posts.
Old 13th February 2011, 14:55   #6396
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Well, I am happy to tell you all that I got a Nikon D5000 18-55VR kit + Nikkor 55-200mm lens for starters. Lets see how the DSLR experience turns out to be. Thanks everyone for the suggestions given to my previous posts.
Congratulations WAG7 (I am a bit of a railfanner too) on the new kit and here's hoping you have fun & peace of mind with photography.

Cheers!

PS - the 2 Hoya HMC filters that I had ordered from my Nikon dealer turned out to be very clever fakes much to his embarassment. Obviously, I didnt buy them and am probably going to order a pair (either HD or HMC online from B&H or Adorama).

Last edited by R2D2 : 13th February 2011 at 15:20. Reason: Added PS - a line about fake Hoya UV filters
Old 13th February 2011, 18:12   #6397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
PS - the 2 Hoya HMC filters that I had ordered from my Nikon dealer turned out to be very clever fakes much to his embarassment. Obviously, I didnt buy them and am probably going to order a pair (either HD or HMC online from B&H or Adorama).
What filters where those? UV? If UV, which type? UV(N) or UV(C)?

Any pics? How did you conclude that they were fake?
Old 13th February 2011, 18:24   #6398
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
What filters where those? UV? If UV, which type? UV(N) or UV(C)?

Any pics? How did you conclude that they were fake?
They were UV(N) and my findings were based on the pics here Fake Hoya Filters

Opened one of the packs (which looked exactly like the fake one in the pics) and sure enough the filter rim had small score marks very unlike Japanese products. What busted the game was the price - Rs 1400 for a 77mm UV multicoated filter. Check the prices on Adorama the cheapest uncoated Hoya UV filters are for about US$ 39. The coated one is for US$ 49. So, if you are paying prices that are lower than those in the US, the filters are fakes. Also compare them to the price list a BHPian had uploaded on this thread.

We're being taken for a ride. If you ask me I'd rather buy an original Marumi for a few hundred bucks than one of these fake Hoyas.

Rgds,

PS - One more thing to look out for is the label with the name and address of the importer and month of import with price and other details. The fakes do not have them.

Last edited by R2D2 : 13th February 2011 at 18:32. Reason: Added PS
Old 13th February 2011, 19:11   #6399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....We're being taken for a ride. If you ask me I'd rather buy an original Marumi for a few hundred bucks than one of these fake Hoyas.
Are you actually buying a UV filter ? Do you really need them ? I know there is a lot of debate on the usage of a UV on the modern DSLRs, old school will argue for lens protection and UV cutting, but based on my readings and feedbacks from professionals in the field, I threw my UV out of the bag long back. As long as you have a hood on the lens, its enough for protection.

If image clarity or quality is the purpose, probably HOYA or B+W brand might be making a difference, but they are terribly expensive. Better invest in GND or ND or CPL filters that can make some magic in the images.
Old 13th February 2011, 19:15   #6400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They were UV(N) and my findings were based on the pics here Fake Hoya Filters

Also compare them to the price list a BHPian had uploaded on this thread.
That BHPian was me.

Feels like I was sold a fake one. Am gonna grab that guy's collar tomorrow.
Old 13th February 2011, 19:45   #6401
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Are you actually buying a UV filter ? Do you really need them ? I know there is a lot of debate on the usage of a UV on the modern DSLRs, old school will argue for lens protection and UV cutting, but based on my readings and feedbacks from professionals in the field, I threw my UV out of the bag long back. As long as you have a hood on the lens, its enough for protection.

If image clarity or quality is the purpose, probably HOYA or B+W brand might be making a difference, but they are terribly expensive. Better invest in GND or ND or CPL filters that can make some magic in the images.
Agreed with your points Shaju. But I do admit being one of those old school guys especially because I don't like to clean the front element of any of my lenses except by using a blower. Call me paranoid. Accidental fingerprints and God forbid a nick or scratch on the lens would be (at least for me & in my mind) a highly regrettable event which I would prefer to avoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
That BHPian was me.

Feels like I was sold a fake one. Am gonna grab that guy's collar tomorrow.
BTW, where did you get that price list from? You may want to take print outs of the photos as it is quite possible even your dealer doesnt know he's being conned.

I checked Interfoto's site (they are former Nikon distributors) and they have a bunch of dealers in Pune one of whom is the guy I got my kit from. But even this chap wound up with fakes! Honestly, I will either buy these @ Interfoto or online from the US. Push comes to shove I'll get the cheap Marumis.

Rgds,

Last edited by R2D2 : 13th February 2011 at 19:46.
Old 13th February 2011, 20:17   #6402
Senior - BHPian

Well I did not want to break heart
Of the person who bought hoya HMC for 250 rs so kept quite
I got the same at 26$ from adorama.

Last edited by amitk26 : 13th February 2011 at 20:19.
Old 13th February 2011, 20:44   #6403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....I don't like to clean the front element of any of my lenses except by using a blower.
I do use a matin blower too, and it does a neat work. My 70-200 has a huge glass area (77mm), and it attracts dust and moist very soon. I have a tough time of cleaning it only if I visit a beach area. Recent visit to Aero show gave a day long dusty atmosphere but matin did a quick clean in seconds.

I always use the hood, so if it falls its a 50/50 chance of saving the lens with or without UV filter. And most important part, I dont believe in covering a 38k worth lens with a 1k or 2k cheap filter. Hope it makes sense.
Old 13th February 2011, 20:44   #6404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Congratulations and welcome to the DSLR world. That is an impressive set of lenses. Post some pictures.
Old 13th February 2011, 21:58   #6405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, where did you get that price list from? You may want to take print outs of the photos as it is quite possible even your dealer doesnt know he's being conned.
Am taking my laptop there! I got the list from the dealer here. Called up and asked them to mail me.

Quote:
I checked Interfoto's site (they are former Nikon distributors) and they have a bunch of dealers in Pune one of whom is the guy I got my kit from. But even this chap wound up with fakes! Honestly, I will either buy these @ Interfoto or online from the US. Push comes to shove I'll get the cheap Marumis.

Rgds,
Tough times! Dealers themselves selling fake stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Well I did not want to break heart
Of the person who bought hoya HMC for 250 rs so kept quite
I got the same at 26$ from adorama.
LOL. Heart Breaking and me. I know there were greater chances for it being a fake. (And that's "quiet" and not "quite" BTW)

I had my doubts when i bought them, but the guy convinced me that it is a grey market one and hence the low price. I was skeptical but just thought, "Lets give it a try". And now I have proof!

Last edited by DRIV3R : 13th February 2011 at 22:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks