Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2011, 23:01   #6406
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

@DRIV3R Pardon for spelling but when I use my phone for posting most of the times it auto-corrects to various things , the predictive text input is helpful but embarrassing at times.

Shaju for lens front element cleaning blower + charged nylon brush method works best for me. The health and glow 90 Rs white makeup brush is soft and once you blow some 2-3 puffs using the blower , the bristles get statically charged and lift dust like magnet,

Last edited by amitk26 : 13th February 2011 at 23:03.
Old 13th February 2011, 23:08   #6407
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Am taking my laptop there! I got the list from the dealer here. Called up and asked them to mail me.

Tough times! Dealers themselves selling fake stuff.
Let me know how it goes. Frankly the dealer here didnt even know it was fake till I showed him how to identify it. But remember these guys make a FAT margin selling fake stuff so their commercial interests must be taken into account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I always use the hood, so if it falls its a 50/50 chance of saving the lens with or without UV filter. And most important part, I dont believe in covering a 38k worth lens with a 1k or 2k cheap filter. Hope it makes sense.
It does make sense to me as well.

Butttttttt like I said I am paranoid about the front element (more on the expensive lenses I just bought) and dont want to take a risk thats why I would prefer to use a good quality filter, even the Hoya HDs that come @ ~9K for the 77mm at Adorama, which is probably what I will order if nothing good is available in India. Other option is Nikon which is available here.

Also, I have never ever used a lens hood before. Must try it out.

Cheers!
Old 13th February 2011, 23:08   #6408
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tripod Quick release plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Gladiator View Post
I lost the quick release plate of my Slik Tripod. . From where, I can get the quick release plate in Bangalore. Whether the Quick release plate has any specification ?. Kindly let let me know.
+1 , it seems no one keeps stock of any QR clamp and plate. I am also searching for either a manfratto type or Arca-Swiss type set for the focusing rail i have purchased ( yet to be delivered)

@Speed-Gladiator I think ordering on e-bay is only option , If you are getting new buy a full set ,Gittos MH 621 is the best as it is arca-swiss type ( half screw open) and plate is bigger and you can use to mount lens collar as well in future if you get a big lens.
Also you can slide the plate for macro focusing.

Amazon.com: Giottos MH621 Quick Release Adapter with Short Sliding Plate camera mount: Camera & Photo

Last edited by amitk26 : 13th February 2011 at 23:10.
Old 13th February 2011, 23:24   #6409
Senior - BHPian

@amit: No problem.

I am probably throwing this back on his face tomorrow and getting a Hoya CPL. I noticed that the Hoya CPLs were genuine; that day, it had the 'Imported and sold' sticker along with the MRP. Was something around 1.8k. His price was something around 1.4k. Should do for protecting the lens for now. I will remove it when doing interior/poor lighting photography.
Old 14th February 2011, 07:27   #6410
Team-BHP Support

Has anyone got a camera bag (Lowepro/Lata etc) purchased through Amazon, directly shipped to India?
If yes, were there any hiccups with shipment/customs?

I was looking at Fastpack 350 or 250 (Lowepro). Has any one used it?

Last edited by ampere : 14th February 2011 at 07:42.
Old 14th February 2011, 08:29   #6411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Has anyone got a camera bag (Lowepro/Lata etc) purchased through Amazon, directly shipped to India?

AFAIK They don't ship to India except few items like books and CDs.
Buy locally if available or look at B&H, Adorama or ebay instead
Old 14th February 2011, 09:19   #6412
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
AFAIK They don't ship to India except few items like books and CDs.
Buy locally if available or look at B&H, Adorama or ebay instead
Thanks. I thought since it was NOT electronics, it might be possible. But looks like no! Then need to solve a traveller's problem!
Old 14th February 2011, 09:56   #6413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
So my questions are:
1. How to focus effectively in the dark?
2. How do you get a sharp picture in the dark?

Shooting Specs on Canon 1000D:
Focal length: 18mm
Mode: Tv (30")
F-no, ISO & AWB at auto
Exp: +2
My sister also has a 1000D. I have used it for a month or so. I felt it focusing capabilities are poor in low light conditions. I always end up using the manual focusing!!!

Quote:
I am attaching a couple of pictures to give you an idea about what exactly I am asking. My aim in the pictures was to get both the trees as well as the stars in sharp focus.
I dont think both can be in focus!!! As it requires a very large dof which can be achieved by bigger f-number. The best range of f-numbers for DSLRs is between 5.6 to 8 and to some extent f11(depending on the lenses and sensors!!) after which the diffractions starts creeping in!! More info on diffraction:
Diffraction in Photography
Old 14th February 2011, 09:59   #6414
Senior - BHPian

Great News Guys! Finally joined the elite DSLR gang. Got myself a Nikon D90 with the standard kit lens for Rs. 52,000/- Also got a UV filter (forgot the brand) for Rs.500 and a screen protector for Rs. 400, in all it was Rs.52,900/- with official warranty. Now need a good carry bag, please give me some suggestions. Will start shooting soon, am still in awe of this magnificent piece of engineering!
Old 14th February 2011, 10:05   #6415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Great News Guys! Finally joined the elite DSLR gang. Got myself a Nikon D90 with the standard kit lens for Rs. 52,000/- Also got a UV filter (forgot the brand) for Rs.500 and a screen protector for Rs. 400, in all it was Rs.52,900/- with official warranty. Now need a good carry bag, please give me some suggestions. Will start shooting soon, am still in awe of this magnificent piece of engineering!
Wonderful! Do you have the 18-135 kit?

Regarding the carry bag, it will depend on the gear you are carrying around. I have a Lowepro Altus 170. This allows me to carry the camera with standard kit lens, one single focus lens, the hood (detached) and cables. At a pinch I can carry the charger as well though the bag becomes a bit cramped. The bag costed me about 1870/- after discount.
Old 14th February 2011, 11:05   #6416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
My sister also has a 1000D. I have used it for a month or so. I felt it focusing capabilities are poor in low light conditions. I always end up using the manual focusing!!!

I dont think both can be in focus!!! As it requires a very large dof which can be achieved by bigger f-number. The best range of f-numbers for DSLRs is between 5.6 to 8 and to some extent f11(depending on the lenses and sensors!!) after which the diffractions starts creeping in!! More info on diffraction:
Diffraction in Photography
Both can be technically in focus without using a very narrow aperture, if you have trees at a small distance (Hyperfocal distance) from the camera. The DOF calculation gives:

Assuming Camera as 1000D , focal length of 18mm, if you stand back 15 meters from the trees, you can use an aperture f/8 so that the near focal limit would be 13.1 meters and far limit would be infinity.

Zooming a bit in and opening up the aperture more doesn't hurt either. For example,

zooming in to 35mm & opening up aperture even to f/4.5 would still preserve the far limit as infinity!

More details here

You need to use very narrow apertures only if the subject is too close to the camera. Refer the first picture in this post as an example.

Last edited by clevermax : 14th February 2011 at 11:16.
Old 14th February 2011, 12:08   #6417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Both can be technically in focus without using a very narrow aperture,
One more point I observed in the image is movement of tree leaves and then star trail behind those. When exposure is 30'' then it can not be controlled .

I have another option in my mind. Composit images.

1. Keep shutter speed high and take a picture to keep stars in sharp without movement of palm leaves.

2. Use flash and take picture of palm

3. Merge them to give composite image of both

PS : I do not think this is any problem of Canon 1000D body I don't think it is possible with any other body either.
Old 14th February 2011, 12:37   #6418
BHPian

Quote:

I use a Fastpack 350 regularly, although I have the AW Mini Trekker as well as shoulder case Kata, I seem to prefer the FP350 more these days.
Refer the post below, I have also placed 5 lenses into the lower compartment and carried two full size flashguns with accompanying triggers/batteries/chargers/cables and there was still space to spare in the FP350, considerable weight, but not an issue to carry around.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2129008

The Amazon price seems to be the same as India price, that is apart from the shipping that you have to pay for anyway. But if you still want to buy from abroad, make sure the total value (item+shipping+insurance) falls below 10K and there is no duty charged, speaking from personal experience getting multiple items.
Old 14th February 2011, 12:47   #6419
Senior - BHPian

Going to Chandni Chowk to get the following accessories today:

1. Nikon HB-7 hood for the Nikkor 80~200 f/2.8
2. Hoya PRO 1D UV filter
3. Hoya PRO 1D CPL filter

The CPL would also be used on the Nikkor 24~70 f/2.8
Old 14th February 2011, 12:48   #6420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

@ampere,
You can try these websites. I have read quite few had ordered from these.
Shetala :: Home Page
SmartShoppers: Online Shopping India | Cameras, Digital Camera, SLR Camera, Camera Lenses, Mobiles, Laptops & Accessories
Both sites have good varieties of bags.
Did you tried checking with Jayesh(Chickpet) ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks