Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2011, 07:55   #6451
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Any update on this speed_gladiator ? If you are able to source in local market let me know else I need to order it online

About your question yes there are several types of QR plate , Arca swiss is used by many high end mounting devices. Then you have Bogen-Manfratto type and several other propriety types.
Am trying to source one from the local market and tried to contact some local vendors, but no luck. Mine is available in Amazon and B&H for $14.95. But when I calculate the Shipping, B&H shows $60.60 . I may have to source it through some of my friends.

Amit, What is your plan of ordering, Normally how much they are charging for shipping.

Any way I have to do a last round of hunting before getting it from US. Even I am ready replace the entire QR Adapter if am getting one suitable one.

Here is the link from B&H - DQ-20 Q.R. Adapter,

This one from Amazon - Amazon.com: Quick Release Plate for DQ-20 Q.R. Adapter, SH-704E & AF-1100E Head: Electronics
Old 16th February 2011, 08:16   #6452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
@Gandhi,

Lovely. So you were brave enough to go for something that requires bravery. Tell us how you reached your decision.
Well, there were quite a few factors that affected the decision. The reviews were really good in favor of K-x compared to the Nikon D3100 and Canon 500D. Budget was also one of the major factor. I got the K-x kit with two decent lenses for which I wouldn't even get the Canon 500D with one kit lens, forget about the 550D.

Regarding Pentax service, I found that there are enough pentaxians in India to get help and support from. Also, I have few friends who keep going to US once in a while so in worst case I have that option. I found a distant friend and a colleague too who owns a K-x, so that gave some confidence.

I don't know why but I tend to go with underdogs and always prefer VFM products to big brands.
Old 16th February 2011, 08:31   #6453
BHPian

Quote:
Two points ,
First Do you really think D3100 is best entry point in Nikon System ?

Your friend need to understand that he can not use cheap 50mm F1.8 in AF mode on Nikon 3100 and next cheapest available prime which can AF is 35mm F1.8 at 16K rs. Similarly in telephoto range the Nikon lenses which can AF on this body are much more costlier.
If you look at the worksheet I have specifically highlighted this point. Also with Nikon it was always 35mm. Since every thing is sourced from US, cost of 9K ($200) is okay.

Quote:
but then the two prime lenses you mentioned are good but not cup of tea for everyone for everyday use.
Friend is avid SLR shooter from past six years! He can mange these lens!

Quote:

There is a purpose behind lenses such as Tamron 17-50 F2.8 , Sigma 17-70 OS 2.8 ~4 and Canon 15-85 IS USM ( I am sure there will be a Nikon equivelent as well) ,

So if he is keen on buying that D3100 then a 3ed party Tamron 17-50 F2.8 may work better then 35mm prime at 16K in certain cases.
Thanks for the input!

Which Tamron 17-50 F2.8 ? One with VC or without it? Either of the option will make total investment above $1K.

Also Nikon 3100 comes only in kit! He will have two lenses in similar zoom range!
Old 16th February 2011, 08:48   #6454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
T..... next cheapest available prime which can AF is 35mm F1.8 at 16K rs. ......
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
...... Since every thing is sourced from US, cost of 9K ($200) is okay.
Lets say for the folks who can only buy from India, the nikon website says it as 13,170/-, for which the street prices I think will be around 12k :
Nikon India Private Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
....Finally I took the plunge yesterday and got my Pentax K-x kit (18-55 + 55-300) today. Ordered it from Buy.com for USD 629 + free shipping yesterday afternoon and got the camera today morning. ....
Congratulations!!!
Was the shipping done to India is less than one day that too free of cost?? I wonder where their warehouse is located. Even if located in India, thats pretty fast!!!

Quote:
Well, there were quite a few factors that affected the decision.....
Apart from the obvious factors, you have opened a door to M42 and other manual lenses to yourselves. If you have manual lenses in your mind, two things you have to eye first:
1. 50mm f1.4 smc takumar lens
2. 85mm f2 Jupiter9
I wish you all the best!!!

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 16th February 2011 at 08:50.
Old 16th February 2011, 09:02   #6455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Congratulations!!!
Was the shipping done to India is less than one day that too free of cost?? I wonder where their warehouse is located. Even if located in India, thats pretty fast!!!
I'm in US for a short trip. So got it delivered here at the hotel.

Quote:
Apart from the obvious factors, you have opened a door to M42 and other manual lenses to yourselves. I wish you all the best!!!
Oh yeah. A 50mm M/f2 or M/f1.7 is what I'm looking forward to. Though I'd have to get another budget bill passed through the home ministry.
Old 16th February 2011, 09:57   #6456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh yeah. A 50mm M/f2 or M/f1.7 is what I'm looking forward to. Though I'd have to get another budget bill passed through the home ministry.
For a manual focus lens with f2, I doubt you need permission from home ministry unless there is a restriction on space / weight!!

Anyways, those you can pick-up later.
Old 16th February 2011, 10:32   #6457
Senior - BHPian

@gandhi,
Congrats on your purchase. Please give your reviews after using it. You know, it would help me in deciding for it.
Old 16th February 2011, 10:44   #6458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I
Look for 50mm F1.4 SMC Takumar or Yashinon regards
Old 16th February 2011, 10:50   #6459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
@gandhi,
Congrats on your purchase. Please give your reviews after using it. You know, it would help me in deciding for it.
Sure. I am yet to start shooting full-fledged with it. I'm going through the manual right now and trying some shots here and there. Have posted one on the non-auto image thread. Have you been to pentaxforums.com? They are a really friendly set of people and the community is one of the best I have found on any internet forums. You will find enough information there, you don't have to wait for my review to take the plunge .

Quote:
Look for 50mm F1.4 SMC Takumar or Yashinon regards
Thanks for the suggestion Amit. I haven't tried manual focusing ever, so my plan is to learn that on my kit lenses and then go for those supar takumars etc. I think if not used rightly, the manual focus lenses will disappoint me and I won't enjoy them.
Old 16th February 2011, 15:09   #6460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
I dont think both can be in focus!!! As it requires a very large dof which can be achieved by bigger f-number. The best range of f-numbers for DSLRs is between 5.6 to 8 and to some extent f11(depending on the lenses and sensors!!) after which the diffractions starts creeping in!! More info on diffraction:
Diffraction in Photography
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Assuming Camera as 1000D , focal length of 18mm, if you stand back 15 meters from the trees, you can use an aperture f/8 so that the near focal limit would be 13.1 meters and far limit would be infinity.

Zooming a bit in and opening up the aperture more doesn't hurt either. For example,

zooming in to 35mm & opening up aperture even to f/4.5 would still preserve the far limit as infinity!

More details here

You need to use very narrow apertures only if the subject is too close to the camera. Refer the first picture in this post as an example.
Quote:
1. Keep shutter speed high and take a picture to keep stars in sharp without movement of palm leaves.

2. Use flash and take picture of palm

3. Merge them to give composite image of both

PS : I do not think this is any problem of Canon 1000D body I don't think it is possible with any other body either.
Thanks guys for the tips. Getting a little more into the same topic; I too use more of manual focus while its dark. Any tips on how to do this better even on MF mode? Very often you cannot see the subject clearly for sharp focus, so even MF becomes difficult.

I was checking a video on youtube (lost the link though) where the person was talking about an assist beam (not the flash) which can be used for focusing. Is this available on the 1000D?

Btw, the skies have been very clear lately and I have been going crazy with night shots. Has anyone noticed the skies for the past few weeks?

Last edited by ajman28 : 16th February 2011 at 15:11. Reason: Typo
Old 16th February 2011, 15:37   #6461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
I was checking a video on Youtube (lost the link though) where the person was talking about an assist beam (not the flash) which can be used for focusing. Is this available on the 1000D?
Check if an orange color light glows in front of your cam when you half press the shutter , I think that is AF assist beam.
Quote:

Btw, the skies have been very clear lately and I have been going crazy with night shots. Has anyone noticed the skies for the past few weeks?
[/quote]
Lucky you here we have ever present smog and pollution
Old 16th February 2011, 15:39   #6462
Senior - BHPian

Damn!! I noticed you too from Coimbatore!!

Absolutely!! I did notice too. But I stay outside the main city and hence I thought I was lucky to be away from the city - away from air pollution and sodium lamps. But now I understand its like that else where too!!

I just have a small p&s(pentax optio S5) camera but still I shall try some pics in the night and see!!
Quote:

The 1000D has AF assist only through the flash and a range of upto 4m.
Old 16th February 2011, 15:53   #6463
Team-BHP Support

What is a good F number to target for Landscapes? Most tutorials suggest to crank it up as high a possible (F22 and more).

But the flip side says anything higher causes diffraction.

So what is a good balance?
Old 16th February 2011, 16:13   #6464
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
What is a good F number to target for Landscapes? Most tutorials suggest to crank it up as high a possible (F22 and more).
That's not really true. You crank it up only as much as you need. Use the DOF preview button to check the DOF to pick the right settings. It also depends your crop factor. The DOF you get at F/16 in fullframe is the same you can get at F/8 in a 4/3 format. That is why P&S gives you aperture only up to F/8, still they can give fantastic DOF thanks to very small sensor.

Last edited by Samurai : 16th February 2011 at 16:14.
Old 16th February 2011, 17:47   #6465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
...Use the DOF preview button to check the DOF to pick the right settings. It also depends your crop factor....
I need to do something to remember this fact. D90 has a DOF button, but I always forget about this feature whenever there is a requirement. Its a very useful method to judge what we actually want instead of increasing the shutter count.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks