Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2011, 19:56   #6571
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Nikon 3100 was the best for my budget. (this year 30K)
But lack of DOF preview button is a deal breaker.
DOF preview should not be a deal braker. You will hardly use this button. In fact its easier to click an image and review rather than using this button. I would not reject a camera for this preview button.

IMHO this button is very rarely used and lack of this button is not a big deal.
Old 24th February 2011, 21:10   #6572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post

Nikon 3100 was the best for my budget. (this year 30K)
But lack of DOF preview button is a deal breaker.
Go for 500D my friend bought 500D kit with bill and 3 year warranty ( one year extended) + a free tripod from Chroma for 32K on 14th Feb.

Deal breaker for Nikon 3100 is lack of AF motor, 50mm 1.8 prime is first thing you should have , You can mount on Cheap extension tube and use for macro , You can use a reverse mount and mount 50mm reversed for macros , The quality and magnification is really good search on net for this technique.
Old 24th February 2011, 21:20   #6573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
+1
Alpha 100 had a DOF preview button and they didn't give Alpha 200 a DOF preview button. Seems they did some research and found out that users seldom use it.
Old 24th February 2011, 21:54   #6574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
+1
Alpha 100 had a DOF preview button and they didn't give Alpha 200 a DOF preview button. Seems they did some research and found out that users seldom use it.
Depends on the style of shooting I guess. If you are doing macro photography (especially at higher magnification), this button helps a lot. The trick is not to change the aperture and then press the button, but to hold the button down and change the aperture so that your eye gets used to the gradual decrease of light . But with an EVF, this button is not required at all, another advantage .
Old 24th February 2011, 22:13   #6575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Go for 500D my friend bought 500D kit with bill and 3 year warranty ( one year extended) + a free tripod from Chroma for 32K on 14th Feb.

Deal breaker for Nikon 3100 is lack of AF motor, 50mm 1.8 prime is first thing you should have , You can mount on Cheap extension tube and use for macro , You can use a reverse mount and mount 50mm reversed for macros , The quality and magnification is really good search on net for this technique.
I believe that it is (1+1) year warranty. Default is one year and the offer is for another year, so that makes 2.
Old 24th February 2011, 22:32   #6576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
I believe that it is (1+1) year warranty. Default is one year and the offer is for another year, so that makes 2.
No default is 2 and additional 1 year that makes 3 years I actually asked him again and it is 3 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Depends on the style of shooting I guess. If you are doing macro photography (especially at higher magnification), this button helps a lot. The trick is not to change the aperture and then press the button, but to hold the button down and change the aperture so that your eye gets used to the gradual decrease of light . But with an EVF, this button is not required at all, another advantage .
+1

There is one more big use of DOF preview button , If you don't want to splurge on macro lens and still want to shoot macro , You can do so by lens reversal.
If you have only AF lenses with out Aperture control you need DOF preview button.

For macros you need F.10 - F.22 for DOF so first set the Av then press DOF button , keeping it pressed release lens and lens will stay at the set F value and then reverse mount with a reverse adapter and shoot.

Stacking reversed lens on telephoto also gives good magnification.

A reverse mounted 50mm lens on a 300mm telephoto with a coupler ring will give 300/50 +( native mag of 50mm) magnification that is 6X+ theoretically, Practically up to 3.7X I have achieved by this method of stacking lenses. There is heavy vignetting though but central portion is usable.

Last edited by Dippy : 24th February 2011 at 22:50. Reason: back to back posts. Please use the multi quote option instead of creating back to back posts. Thanks
Old 24th February 2011, 23:11   #6577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
so first set the Av then press DOF button , keeping it pressed release lens and lens will stay at the set F value and then reverse mount with a reverse adapter and shoot.
Sony and Minolta lenses doesn't stay at that aperture when released from the mount - they have a spring action which takes the aperture blades all the way back to wide open :(
Old 24th February 2011, 23:48   #6578
Senior - BHPian

Looks like you guys are trying to sell a swift to a Wagon-R customer. And so far you have been successful.

Quote:
That is an excellent deal for the 500D. Will surely not let such an offer go by.
I don't wish to use autofocus during macros. I had earlier used a Yashica (not digital). It had no AF at all. I had the hang of of it until the recent Pns spoiled everything. I need auto-focus only for 18-55 and 55-200 mm lens.

In such case will the lack of AF motor still be a deal breaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
DOF preview should not be a deal braker. You will hardly use this button. In fact its easier to click an image and review rather than using this button. I would not reject a camera for this preview button.
Quote:
+1
Will check the function of the DOF preview button myself for the 500D. Lets see if it can come in handy for me.
As I have already mentioned, it is the Grip & ergonomics of Nikon I am in love with. How big a deal do you guys think it is?
Old 25th February 2011, 00:08   #6579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As I have already mentioned, it is the Grip & ergonomics of Nikon I am in love with. How big a deal do you guys think it is?
That basically answered your needs. If you like it when you hold it you are sure going to love it owning it.

People made excellent pictures with a pin hole camera. So if you like the grip and ergonomics of the Nikon, go for it.
Old 25th February 2011, 02:07   #6580
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone suggest a good shop to buy DSLR lenses in Delhi/NCR? I am planning to pick up 50mm 1.8f and 70-300mm for my D90.
Old 25th February 2011, 08:02   #6581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't wish to use autofocus during macros.
Very well analyzed. I for one almost never use AF during macros. Even my normal shots are about 75% in MF. The reason I got the D90 (over the EVIL range, over the Canon 550D etc.) was simply because of the way it felt in my hands.
  1. I got my D90 for 56,000 with the kit lens which is 18-105 and has a filter (plus all the other goodies)
  2. I spent 3,500 for a second 50mm / f1.8 on ebay and it is an awesome lens
  3. I spent 7100 on a 70-300mm non VR lens (5850 + 1250 Hoya filter). It is non VR but optically quite good.

So you see, a DSLR is not that bad an idea if you are willing to live cheap in the first few years. Look out for deals on older models (D5000, 500D etc.) and you will get a decent body which will serve you faithfully for a long time.

EDIT: I do not use the DoF button. Will learn how to do that some day.

Last edited by typeOnegative : 25th February 2011 at 08:13.
Old 25th February 2011, 09:53   #6582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Guys how is the 18-200 IS Cannon ? Decided on the Cannon 550 D and need one all purpose sharp lens.

As of now I plan to sell the images I click to magazine or anyone who is willing to buy or work as a freelancer in my 4 month vacation in India. Will it be good enough ?
Well they say, its not just the gear even the eye behind it also matters, but... (ah!! a but!!!). I dont see people who sell their photos use a 18-200!! That range is good for a tourist or a learner(a learner can even look at the cheaper non-IS lens). The guys who sell their pics dont buy general purpose lens, instead buy specific lens!! At the least they have a prime in their bags (most of the amaeture ones have a 50mm f1.8).

A friend of mine who does the exact work you have mentioned started with a 18-55 non IS for his 400D and later bought 50mm f1.8 and 55-250 IS for its reach. Now he is planning to buy an ultra wide zoom. Another one started with a Nikon D40 with 50mm f1.8 (yes he shot everything manual!) before he picked up other lenses later depending on his requirements!!
Old 25th February 2011, 10:10   #6583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is an excellent deal for the 500D. Will surely not let such an offer go by.
I don't wish to use autofocus during macros.
Tell me if your setup is exclusively for macros or not ?
You definitely need AF for shooting normal pictures of kids , pets , animals or a party, I also have a very good manual lens but I use that mostly on non-living subjects because in today's age subjects don't have patience.
In most of the gatherings every guest will pull out his smartphone or point and shoot and few with DSLRs hanging in neck with all purpose lenses and may be 0.005% people will understand why you are taking so much time

In case yours is going to be exclusive macro setup and you are willing to spend money in years to come then also Canon is best setup because of a simple reason that there is Canon MP-E5 lens which is the only lens in market providing 5X magnification with out any extension tubes . This is a small handy package for serious macro photographer.

Else if you want to go beyond 1:1 which a macro lens provides natively you need to use macro lens + extension tubes, lens stacking and reverse mounting etc in various combinations to get extreme macros which is bulky and not necessarily hand held setup but very cost effective.
Canon EOS allows you to use adapters and use various old MF lenses for this kind of usage. (Read my earlier posts in this thread)

In either case Canon is best bet ( among nikon and Canon)

Quote:

If you love Nikon go for it but buy D90 which has all the functions and not D3100 wait for few more months and up the budget rather then going for D3100.

About your question , I personally do not think grip is that big deal , If I have to spend more money I will invest rather in a battery grip LOL

Quote:
Sony and Minolta lenses doesn't stay at that aperture when released from the mount - they have a spring action which takes the aperture blades all the way back to wide open :(
Oh ho but you do get good old Minolta lenses with Aperture rings right.
One more reason not to buy Sony in that case

Last edited by amitk26 : 25th February 2011 at 10:19.
Old 25th February 2011, 10:45   #6584
Senior - BHPian

Have sent a PM to you..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Can anyone suggest a good shop to buy DSLR lenses in Delhi/NCR? I am planning to pick up 50mm 1.8f and 70-300mm for my D90.
Old 25th February 2011, 11:01   #6585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Canon MP-E5 lens which is the only lens in market providing 5X magnification with out any extension tubes . This is a small handy package for serious macro photographer
The working distance one gets with this lens is very SMALL and mounting those two flashes (MT-24EX) will only make things worse. The lens is more of a speciality lens to enjoy a world that is never visible to human eyes without an aid.

The lens is not something which can be used to chase something. But set this lens and camera and wait for the right moment to capture some amazing images.

For macro there is nothing that beats the Sigma 150mm which now comes with an OS in the system

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks