Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2011, 13:39   #8071
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Thanks!, its a D lens and i think i got it for 5600... he charges the 2% on cards which is the down side

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyslim View Post
Congratulations on your new acquisition and great choice. The D90 is a wonderful body.

About smart shoppers I did browse through their brochure and could not find the product and hence the question. Now I know. D90 does not come with a 50 mm 1.8G lens, can you tell me what price you paid for the lens also if its a G lens or a D lens.

Best,
FBS
Old 4th July 2011, 19:38   #8072
BHPian

Re: Canon 1000d-Battery dead in 10 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Here you go - Canon LP-E5 Compatible 7.4V 1080mAh Replacement Li-Ion Battery for Canon EOS-450D/KISSX2/1000D
Item Number 20710$6.55 USD1$6.55 USD

no issues of any sort. turned up in a month's time. (gurgaon). similar package took 16-18 days in delhi.
Thanx Phamilyman. Ordered two of these from dealextreme. Didnt go via ebay.com as there were better user reviews for the product on dealextreme. Going by the reviews, the batteries look just fine to me.

And getting 2 batteries for Rs 600. Quite a deal as compared to canon india's 4 grands.

Hoping for early delivery and best results.
Old 4th July 2011, 23:06   #8073
Senior - BHPian

Re: Canon 1000d-Battery dead in 10 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Hoping for early delivery
Earliest you would get would be in 2-3 weeks, ideally 4.

Why not add some other items and have the bill cross 15$. IIRC at that price, the mail becomes upgraded to insured airmail. quicker and safer from India post.

You'll thank me later
Old 5th July 2011, 17:00   #8074
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I am planning to get a set of extension tube for Macro photos. This is just a part of experiment as I would not be able to buy a dedicated Macro lens as of now. The set is available at 599/- on EBay. However, I have a doubt about its working.

As the extension tube would sit in between the lens and the body, I would not be able to do: Auto focus. I am fine with it and can do manual focus. I read on the Net that I would not be able to adjust the Aperture as well. In that case, do I need to set the Aperture first, then shift to MF, fit the the extension tube and then shoot the pics? I am a bit confused, please help me out.

PS: The lens is a 18-55 mm IS kit lens and body is Canon 1100D.
Old 5th July 2011, 18:05   #8075
BHPian

Guys,

Could you please help me choose between Nikon D3100 and Canon 1100D?

I'm getting D3100 for 26k only for the body and 1100D for 26k with kit lens.

Do i have any other options within 30k?
Old 5th July 2011, 18:44   #8076
Senior - BHPian

Canon sounds a better buy. The kit lens is a fantastic lens. Gives enough room for learning. Also having a canon helps you in few ways. The wildlife lenses are far cheaper and being in banglore you will invariably start loving wildlife with so much access to wildlife. And getting used to canon helps you in the long run.

If i were in banglore and wanted to build my lens collection it would be on canon just to get hold of a 500 mm.

A nikon 500mm cost is so high that i can even get another body with a canon 500mm.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 18:56   #8077
Senior - BHPian

I dont know why I am so unlucky with my eBay purchases. As expected and feared, customs office is keeping my Flashes and radio triggers and expecting me to produce the invoice and details to release the parcel send by the HK seller last month.

If the previous discussions are to be believed, I have no idea how they are going to calculate the duty as the total is US$ 238.84. Its my BIG mistake to purchase both items same time and not to mention the seller to send it by 2 separate parcels. Things would have been much smoother and trouble free if that was done.

Here is the copy of the letter received today (for people who are curious). Let me know if anything I need to do before I visit the customs office tomorrow (other than carrying the eBay invoice).
The DSLR Thread-yn467.jpg
Old 5th July 2011, 19:38   #8078
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I dont know why I am so unlucky with my eBay purchases. As expected and feared, customs office is keeping my Flashes and radio triggers and expecting me to produce the invoice and details to release the parcel send by the HK seller last month.

If the previous discussions are to be believed, I have no idea how they are going to calculate the duty as the total is US$ 238.84. Its my BIG mistake to purchase both items same time and not to mention the seller to send it by 2 separate parcels. Things would have been much smoother and trouble free if that was done.

Here is the copy of the letter received today (for people who are curious). Let me know if anything I need to do before I visit the customs office tomorrow (other than carrying the eBay invoice).
Attachment 572719
Hi Shaju..there is no bad luck here.

I've been purchasing primarily computer and related parts from the US since 2003 and I can assure you that ANY electronic item whether a sub-assembly i.e. not a stand alone gadget or a fully finished electronic item will be assessed for Customs once it lands at the destination.

The total value of the article is landed cost i.e. assessed/declared value + shipping/freight + any insurance (CIF). In case of no invoice or declaration they will assess the item themselves (as mentioned in the notice). I have had to pay customs duty for a tiny article such as an infrared port for my PC all those years ago. I It was a nightmare getting it released from Customs at the GPO in Mumbai.

There's simply no hope of getting away with flashes et al. The Ebay seller may have purposefully omitted the declaration of value which is why they have called you to provide proof. The customs duty would be approx 25% of the landed cost but cross your fingers for something lower.

I've become wiser now since 2003. I don't order online unless an article is impossible to get here in India and never over Rs 10K (~$225 US) in total price including shipping which is always via DHL/UPS etc.

Good luck!

Cheers!

Last edited by R2D2 : 5th July 2011 at 19:41.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 19:45   #8079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
....I have had to pay customs duty for a tiny article such as an infrared port for my PC all those years ago.....The customs duty would be approx 25% of the landed cost but cross your fingers for something lower......
Thanks for the feedback. I have never got any customs notice till date for low cost items. If the seller shipped flashes and triggers as separate packets, may be things would have been luckier. Anyway, now there is no short cuts. Our member Apratim (aburagohain) had mentioned about his purchase sometime back and that was a 27% flat. So, I am calculating on those notes
Old 5th July 2011, 19:55   #8080
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I have never got any customs notice till date for low cost items. If the seller shipped flashes and triggers as separate packets, may be things would have been luckier. Anyway, now there is no short cuts. Our member Apratim (aburagohain) had mentioned about his purchase sometime back and that was a 27% flat. So, I am calculating on those notes
Frankly buying online from foreign sites is a bummer sometimes. If you do make online purchases of electronic items go with the assumption you will be charged Customs @ 25% + CVD/Cess/Etc etc say 27% (of the landed cost). That way you wont get an unpleasant surprise.

Work Customs into your costing before you order and online purchases of branded goods don't seem all that reasonably priced anymore.

Cheers!
Old 5th July 2011, 22:17   #8081
Team-BHP Support

I routinely order stuff worth upto 20-30$ like memory cards, IR remotes and stuff. Never got called by customs.
Old 5th July 2011, 23:14   #8082
BHPian

Customs duty for "camera-accessories" (as opposed to "Electronics") is 28.84% - my recent experience.
Old 6th July 2011, 08:09   #8083
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, how is Lowepro Flipside 200 Multi Use Backpack?

My only requirement is, it should be able to carry the tripod. Right now, I have - D3100, 18-55, Sigma 10-20, 35(maybe). Even the most basic backpacks can carry these items, except the tripod.

Any other suggestions? I liked the Flipside 100 too, you can carry your laptop but not the tripod! :(
Old 6th July 2011, 08:23   #8084
BHPian

Today I found an interesting deal on on Ebay india, Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 for Rs 1,542.20.

Here is the link.

Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Telephoto Zoom Len | eBay
Old 6th July 2011, 10:33   #8085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Guys,

I am planning to get a set of extension tube for Macro photos. This is just a part of experiment as I would not be able to buy a dedicated Macro lens as of now. The set is available at 599/- on EBay. However, I have a doubt about its working.

As the extension tube would sit in between the lens and the body, I would not be able to do: Auto focus. I am fine with it and can do manual focus. I read on the Net that I would not be able to adjust the Aperture as well. In that case, do I need to set the Aperture first, then shift to MF, fit the the extension tube and then shoot the pics? I am a bit confused, please help me out.

PS: The lens is a 18-55 mm IS kit lens and body is Canon 1100D.
Guys please help... I am about to order one from US.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks