Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2011, 21:40   #8146
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Why even a dslr if you are wanting one lens solution. These wide range lenses are just a compromise lenses. The 18_55 and 55_250 are the best combo for beginners. If you want one lens solution from 18mm to 200 mm. you have to get some good point and shoot that is smaller and suits your needs. Instead get a 50mm prime and enjoy new ways of shooting things.
I fully agree with this point of view. Zoom lenses, particularly such huge ones like 18-270 are a compromise. They are useful only if you were traveling somewhere far and were constrained for space and weight. Otherwise, for an every day walk around lens they aren't good.
Avoid the non-IS 75-300 like plague. It's an awful cheapo lens, meant to cater to people who judge a lens oly by its focal length range and cost. I got into that trap but luckily could come out without much damage to the wallet as I found an eager buyer quite quickly.
If money was not a major issue go for the 24-105 L lens. It's a piece of gem.
Old 13th July 2011, 22:16   #8147
Senior - BHPian

I didn't recommend 24-105 because of the body. If he had a full frame there its no lens that can match this one for quality and versatility.

If you are stubborn about one lens solution get a sigma 18mm-125 which fairs better than most of the longer range lenses.

Personally you would be shooting 90% in the wider end and having a16 mm on the wider end would be better. I would pick either the 16-50 tokina and a cheap 70-300 sigma lens.

There is one another lens that comes to my mind. The sigma 17-70.

The need for anything longer becomes mute coz you will seldom use the far end.
Old 13th July 2011, 22:20   #8148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Thanks Navin, I think I will go for the big zoom lens, so which has better IQ in your experience between canon 18-200 & Tamaron 18-270?.
I have not tested the PZD model. At f/8 or slower the differences are less but at f/6.3 or faster the Canon is better across the range (18-200).

One more thing the non-PZD model is f/6.3 at 230mm+. The PZD model is f/6.3 well before 200mm.

Last edited by navin : 13th July 2011 at 22:21.
Old 13th July 2011, 22:44   #8149
Senior - BHPian

Hmm so if i understand correctly

1) Is Canon is faster & sharper than Tamaron in 18-200 range?

2) You mean to say that the PZD Model is slower than non-pzd model?
Old 14th July 2011, 10:02   #8150
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
1) Is Canon is faster & sharper than Tamaron in 18-200 range?
2) You mean to say that the PZD Model is slower than non-pzd model?
1. Yes. If you desperately want a 18-270 I'd happily send you mine and get me the Canon 18-200. I used it for 15 days in Thailand.

2. Yes the non-PZD model is 'faster' than the PZD model. I dont know about sharpness etc.. though.

Lastly with 3rd party lenses make sure you can get them changed as there are often bum pieces. The first lens I got refused to focus at 200mm+. I called the dealer, then I called 'The Man' and the dealer quickly sent me a new piece even before I had returned the old one.

In Singapore a Sigma 30/1.4 back focused on my 40D so I changed it to a Canon 28/1.8.
Old 14th July 2011, 11:17   #8151
Senior - BHPian

Canon 5D MII and 100-400 lens

Anyone interested in a Canon 5D MII and 100-400 lens FREE !!!!
Sorry its not free, but a contest prize . Interested in Marine life ? Check your luck, you have 2 months time. Details here Save our Seabirds Festival
Old 14th July 2011, 15:36   #8152
Senior - BHPian

Thank God, my lucky stars, India Post......

Finally, the packet reached home after waiting for 33 days. I almost thought its written off my mind and the money is lost ! Things received:
Yongnuo YN-467 flash x 2
Yongnuo RF-602 trigger
Yongnuo RF-602 receivers x 3
Its all working perfect and my existing Nikon SB-600 had some trouble pairing with it, googled a bit and realized it will work only on full manual mode and the 'Auto standby OFF'. Excitedly waiting for the test shots as time permits

It will be a terrible injustice if I dont thank Apratim (aburagohain) and Pramod (CRV2010) who guided me correctly and helped me save some money. Thanks guys, I owe you !
The DSLR Thread-yong.jpg
Old 14th July 2011, 16:22   #8153
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Thank God, my lucky stars, India Post......

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Finally, the packet reached home after waiting for 33 days. I almost thought its written off my mind and the money is lost ! Things received:
Yongnuo YN-467 flash x 2
Yongnuo RF-602 trigger
Yongnuo RF-602 receivers x 3
Congrats Shaju..and you must tell us teh secret to save money whilst goods are stuck at Indian Customs.

Cheers!
Old 14th July 2011, 17:29   #8154
Senior - BHPian

Re: Thank God, my lucky stars, India Post......

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
........and you must tell us teh secret to save money whilst goods are stuck at Indian Customs......
Thanks dear, the only thing I can post here is: Visit them and start talking about Suresh Kalmadi and A Raja, they will release your pack immediately, if it doesn't work, then PM me
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 15:03   #8155
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Shaju. I feel happy for you. I know how it feels to have your camera accessories stuck in a government office. I had to wait for a month too for my CPL to be cleared by the local sales tax office here. The filter was coming from Delhi !!
But thanking Kalmadi and Raja in public might land you in trouble. They might ask for their cut.
Old 15th July 2011, 16:15   #8156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
.....But thanking Kalmadi and Raja in public might land you in trouble. They might ask for their cut....
Its not 'thanking' buddy, but hinting about them so that you create an awareness of "Jail" to the corrupted gang

Anyway here is the test shot ! Here two flashes are through diffuser (one as key light and another as hair light) and one through red glass paper. Umbrellas not yet used. I am sure they can bring smooth shadows.
The DSLR Thread-51_1.jpg
Old 16th July 2011, 11:20   #8157
Senior - BHPian

Shadow under the neck does not looks good.

Some thing like this...I know the face is over-exposed but cannot help it , was not able to check before hand, and these situations hardly come by !!!

The DSLR Thread-kp.jpg

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 16th July 2011 at 11:33.
Old 17th July 2011, 09:39   #8158
Senior - BHPian

I will be getting my first DSLR in a day or two and will be traveling to beach/temples in the coming week. Can someone give me DSLR carrying tips?
Also at crowded temples, it wouldn't be safe to carry a DSLR (camera is not allowed anyways), my only option is to leave it in the car/car trunk. Is this safe to do so? Also what precautions should I take while using it at the beach?

PS: I would be grateful if someone could write a noob guide on DSLR carrying tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Do not keep it in the trunk/car if you are going to be away from the car from long times especially if its in the day time as the car will heat up, which might spell doom for the camera. I guess 30 mins or so in the car would not matter much. Anyway, wait for the other more experienced people to chip in.

If you have multiple lenses, change the lenses carefully when at the beach as the chances of sand getting into the camera increases. Also, keep the lens cap on at all times (except when clicking of course ), again to prevent dust/sand from scratching the lens. Hope this helps

This is what is worrying me, it will easily take more than 2 hours if I go to the temple!

I am carrying the kit lens only, don't have anything additional except for 50mm prime (think I don't need it for beach).

I am planning on using a filter and a lens hood. But then, if I keep the lens covered I need to mount the filter and hood every time I plan to click

Last edited by sachinj12 : 17th July 2011 at 10:08. Reason: Reply to the post below.
Old 17th July 2011, 09:56   #8159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
I will be getting my first DSLR in a day or two and will be traveling to beach/temples in the coming week. Can someone give me DSLR carrying tips?
Also at crowded temples, it wouldn't be safe to carry a DSLR (camera is not allowed anyways), my only option is to leave it in the car/car trunk. Is this safe to do so? Also what precautions should I take while using it at the beach?

PS: I would be grateful if someone could write a noob guide on DSLR carrying tips
Do not keep it in the trunk/car if you are going to be away from the car from long times especially if its in the day time as the car will heat up, which might spell doom for the camera. I guess 30 mins or so in the car would not matter much. Anyway, wait for the other more experienced people to chip in.

If you have multiple lenses, change the lenses carefully when at the beach as the chances of sand getting into the camera increases. Also, keep the lens cap on at all times (except when clicking of course ), again to prevent dust/sand from scratching the lens. Hope this helps
Old 17th July 2011, 11:49   #8160
Senior - BHPian

COming week should be fine as its going to be cloudy and raining, that is if you are traveling towards west.

What you be worried is rain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post

This is what is worrying me, it will easily take more than 2 hours if I go to the temple!

I am carrying the kit lens only, don't have anything additional except for 50mm prime (think I don't need it for beach).

I am planning on using a filter and a lens hood. But then, if I keep the lens covered I need to mount the filter and hood every time I plan to click

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks