Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2011, 23:23   #8251
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurudatta Nayak View Post
Can anybody in this forum guide me to select DSLR
I am looking out for DSLR with Adequate IQ + 1080p Video Capability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus. View Post
I am planning to do some more market study before buying.Let me know if you are getting any better deals.
I just hope I am able to help you guys. I am no expert at all. Just got my 550D two weeks back. I ordered from Letsbuy and got it for a very good price. I was quoted 36,500/- in the retail shops in Hyderabad for body with 4gb card and bag.
I am super excited to have this body.I was also confused between D5100 and 550D as usual and trust me I didn't touch and feel any of them before buying. Both camera's are good and have their fans. I just got a very good deal online and I bought 550D. I just wished it had the same swivel screen that D5100 has, but then AF-S lenses for D5100 is costly. Trust me a, good body can only contribute 25%, rest are lenses(25%) and your skills(50%) or may be 30-30-40. Sorry for my complete novice viewpoint, because I am one.
The 550D body is small, well built and good to hold.Let me put some pictures if it helps.
The DSLR Thread-img_2798.jpg
The DSLR Thread-img_2805.jpg
The DSLR Thread-img_2806.jpg
The DSLR Thread-img_2807.jpg
The DSLR Thread-img_2808.jpg

My point is, go see, feel and hold both the bodies. They both have HD video capabilities and are comparable models and would give you good service.
Which one makes you feel better, buy that.
Fordmanchau is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 07:25   #8252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
I don't know about micro four thirds, I will let others comment on it. Your budget allows you to opt for a DSLR, why not get the 550D? Agreed, graduating from a PnS, the DSLR world it pretty intimidating. But, once you get a hang of it, its a whole new world altogether
The quote below answers why i am seriously considering micro four thirds. Any advantages in favour of DSLRs would be of great help to get some understanding as to why i should opt for a big heavy cam rather than a compactly sized one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Xehaust

I am tilting towards Micro 4-3rds. The ability to take a camera as light as a P&S yet get a DSLR which has good IQ if not excellent IQ as in 5D or a D700 is something mouth watering for me.

In fact i am slowly reducing my gears to move to a 4/3 system just for the size. I may stick with a Olympus or a Sony for they come with Inbody IS which means i dont need to get expensive OS/IS lenses.

Another plus is where your normal Olympus or CZ lenses can be mounted with an adaptor and as the camera is already a Micro 4/3 the degradation using an adaptor is minimal if not nil.

I am for micro 4/3 and i will definitely venture into one in the coming year.

DSLR just gets heavy each day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I will wait for the next generation as this market is getting heated up. PL3 is yet to reach online stores. I will wait for the next set of upgrades these cameras will see in the coming years and jump.

Waiting to collect some good glasses in the mean time including some super fast CZ prime.
So when would be a good time to buy? Is the NEX5 something that i shouldnt buy right now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Panasonic has a G3 as well.
Is it something i should be considering over the NEX5 or the 550D?

Last edited by Xehaust : 5th August 2011 at 07:28.
Old 5th August 2011, 07:53   #8253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Photo quality and beauty of an image has nothing to do with a cam, its all about the brain that controls it.

And finally, DSLR is a money pit, there is always a never-ending wishlist that can go along with it. It will be all the more aggravated when you are part of group walks or meets of DSLR die-hards.

May be owning 5 cameras, 9 lenses and portion of a room full of accessories in this phase has made me write this. Hope it helps.
Very sensible advice Shaju.

Only thing is that I classify a DSLR as a bottomless money pit. Once again, from personal experience.

Cheers!
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 09:36   #8254
BHPian

Re: Does everyone who gets hold of a DSLR become a pro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
This article is hilarious and a new viral hit.

However all I want is just to click a button and get a picture.
Hence said, life is simple though it's us who make it complicated. A nice pick you highlighted here.

No I am not a P&S owner for what I am happy, neither am I DSLR. But your irony way made me happy to be a Bridge Camera user.
nomadabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 10:02   #8255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post

So when would be a good time to buy? Is the NEX5 something that i shouldnt buy right now?

The only thing that I didn't quite like about Nex-5 and Nex-3 is the shape and the way it feels in my hand. It definitely has an upper hand when it comes to sensor because it has an APS-C sensor. There are lack of lenses for Nex (when compare with the number of lenses m 4/3rds has) as of now because Nex is relatively a new system. Also, micro four-thirds mount is supported by two companies where as Nex is supported by only one, so that is another reason for lesser number of lenses.

Having said that, I am yet to try out the Nex-C3 and see how that fits in my hand. I have a Panasonic G1 and it's got the DSLR style and I like the way it feels but without being as heavy as the DSLRs. I want to upgrade and am waiting for Nex-7 and then decide if I want to switch systems or just continue with micro four thirds and get the Panasonic G3. The G3 is getting rave reviews all around the web and I am pretty sure it's a good performer. Also, the 20mm f1.7 lens on m4/3rds is a pleasure to use.

And don't let anyone confuse you with DSLR suggestions if you're convinced with EVIL cameras. After having gotten the G1, my 350D is lying almost unused. I plan to sell the entire Canon system and invest in these smaller bodies which are a pleasure to use and give me excellent image quality. Yes, I said excellent because I hardly print and most of my photos are just for posting online.

These sites may help you:
Mu-43.com - Micro Four Thirds News and Rumors
SeriousCompacts.com

And the reviews for G3:
Panasonic G3 Review
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 review | Cameralabs

And oh, before I forget, the m4/3rds is so light that I end up getting awesome angles and views that I otherwise may not have gotten . And thanks to the EVF is a blessing on these cameras. Hope you get one soon. And this part about G3 in cameralabs review should convince you,

"The Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 is one of the most satisfying and enjoyable cameras I've used. It's sufficiently small and light to be carried almost anywhere without compromising comfort or ergonomics."

"I genuinely believe many people who are shopping for their first DSLR would be better-served by something like the Lumix G3."
HellwratH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 10:53   #8256
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The G3 handles nicely. It is a bit small for guys like me who need a battery pack on full sized SLRs just for comfort but the NEX range is even more uncomfortable. Of the 4/3 cameras the G3 might be the closest in handling to a regular DSLR.

If however you are lookig for a P&S style camera the PL3 would be a nice one to consider. It is about the size of the Panny LX3/LX5.

One last bit: first consider the application (indoors, sports, etc..), then the lenses that will do the best work for that application (range, DOF, speed, etc...), then the body that works with your lenses of choice.

Last edited by navin : 5th August 2011 at 11:05.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 11:24   #8257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
The only thing that I didn't quite like about Nex-5 and Nex-3 is the shape and the way it feels in my hand.........
"The Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 is one of the most satisfying and enjoyable cameras I've used. It's sufficiently small and light to be carried almost anywhere without compromising comfort or ergonomics."......
Same here, I played with the NEX-3 and NEX-5 at Croma outlet few months back. Somehow it feels very uncomfortable in my hands. If you stick a 20mm lens to a visiting card and hold it, how will you feel ? It was the same feel for me. Sales girl was kind enough to tell me, they sold just 2 pieces in the last 6 months (I know they are not supposed to tell ).

G3 has good reviews coming from various photographers. It feels good to hold.

A link which I could not find yesterday on deciding between a DSLR and Point & Shoot ! Should you buy a DSLR or a Compact?
Old 5th August 2011, 11:49   #8258
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
G3 has good reviews coming from various photographers. It feels good to hold.
What I cant understand is why given that the 4/3 sensor is smaller than a FF or APS-C sensor they cant make fast 10x zooms (say Oly or Panny 14-140/4-5.6) for the 4/3 system. All the 10x zooms are f/4 or slower. You can get a 10x zoom (say the Nikon 28-300/3.5-5.6 VR) for FF that is just as fast/slow.

The 4/3 system needs better lenses to become acceptable. Something like the Oly 12-60/2.8-4 for general use and say Oly 50-200, etc.. for tele and so on.
Old 5th August 2011, 23:08   #8259
BHPian

Thanks a lot shajufx & kaushik_s

I do photo walks, that too once in 2-3 months. I like doing nature photography and some time Video shoot.

I had been to couple of stores in Bangalore and Goa. I tried Canon 550D at GK Vale Banaglore but Nikon D5100 was out of stock. Here too in Goa its not in Stock. Dose that mean that its in Huge demand?

I mostly print 5x7 size. I am replacing FZ35 for poor low light performance(Noise Visible).

@Fordmanchau & sachinj12: Thanks a lot guys...I am waiting for opportunity to try out Nikon D5100 , Dealer has called me on tues.(Aug 09) to try out the Cam. Then only, I can decide.

Fordmanchau: Congrats! for your New Canon 550D.

QUOTE=sachinj12;2456672]1) The camera is as good as the photographer. Don't go by Nikon-professional, Canon-amateur/hobbyist. Going by your criteria, I am a pro user. Ha ha..

2) The best person to choose a DSLR for you is YOU. Go to a shop and try out the models you have shortlisted and pick the one that suits you.

You couldn't have put it better,mate.[/quote]
Gurudatta Nayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2011, 10:54   #8260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurudatta Nayak View Post
@Fordmanchau & sachinj12: Thanks a lot guys...I am waiting for opportunity to try out Nikon D5100 , Dealer has called me on tues.(Aug 09) to try out the Cam. Then only, I can decide.

Fordmanchau: Congrats! for your New Canon 550D.
Hey GN, just saw you post here. Thanks a lot.

Have replied to your PM and sincerely hope that it helps you.
I didn't try the D5100 and I am glad I didn't do it. It would have made me all the more confused. My wife was fed up of my Nikon or Canon rant!!

Anyways, hope you buy what's best for you.
Looking forward to see your cam.
Old 6th August 2011, 12:13   #8261
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android App for Canon DSLRs

Sorry for the back to back posts.
But was just going through the dpreview news item, when I came across this.
Chainfire creates Android tethered control app for Canon DSLRs: Digital Photography Review

Chainfire has created a android app to control Canon DSLR's by connecting your phone and camera by a USB cable. It supports Live view on your Android phones & tablets and enables tweaking up your settings too.
I am too much of a novice to use this and comment. But some pro's out there can use it. The app is still in beta and a paid one.
Here's the android market link.
https://market.android.com/details?i...dslrcontroller

The reviews so far has been good.
Old 6th August 2011, 14:39   #8262
BHPian

Hello folks – after few months of deliberation and trial I have jumped the ship from Canon to Pentax. My Pentax K-5 arrived yesterday along with the elusive FA 31mm f1.8 Limited lens.

My 1000D served me well for past few years but sadly its time to say goodbye to the old fella and welcome this new friend to the family!

@R2D2, Shaju – Well said. World of DSLR is truly a bottomless money pit. Hope it ends here for me

Few pics courtesy Google Images!

The DSLR Thread-k5.jpg

The DSLR Thread-31mm.jpg

The DSLR Thread-31mm_1.jpg

The DSLR Thread-31mm_2.jpg
Old 6th August 2011, 18:18   #8263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Hello folks – after few months of deliberation and trial I have jumped the ship from Canon to Pentax. My Pentax K-5 arrived yesterday along with the elusive FA 31mm f1.8 Limited lens.

@R2D2, Shaju – Well said. World of DSLR is truly a bottomless money pit. Hope it ends here for me
Congrats C300! And here's wishing you lotsa of fun and happiness shooting with the new Pentax. Pentax is one of those brands that has a special place in my heart since childhood. When I was a kid, soon after my Dad sold off our Canon AE-1 SLR, my hero was my neighbour's Dad who had a Pentax (Asahi Pentax, as it was called then, can't recall the model) SLR with a 50mm lens. He used to photograph us kids playing around on the field. A SLR was a true luxury and had a certain WOW! factor back in those days.

As time goes on you will want to gather accessories such as lenses, flash, memory cards, software, body upgrades or cross upgrades (as you did now) external HDDs etc etc. The proverbial bottomless money pit begins.

Guess what, my bro is planning to buy a Pentax K-5 too.

Regards,

Last edited by R2D2 : 6th August 2011 at 18:21.
Old 6th August 2011, 18:28   #8264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300

My 1000D served me well for past few years but sadly its time to say goodbye to the old fella and welcome this new friend to the family!

Congrats c300. Welcome to the small but passionate pentax users in india. You could join the ipentax google groups and share your pentax experience.
I myself have a K-x with an assortment of lenses. K5 with a 31mm is a great combo. I had wanted a K5 and DA300 for myself but ended up with canon 7d with 100-400
Siva
Old 6th August 2011, 19:48   #8265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Hey C300, welcome to the small Pentax family. K-5 is a beauty. I own a K-x with standard zoom lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
You could join the ipentax google groups and share your pentax experience.

Siva
Hey Siva, which is this ipentax group on google? I can't find it. Can you post the link?

Last edited by Gandhi : 6th August 2011 at 19:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks