Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2011, 15:54   #6751
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

hi all, i was planning to buy a descent P & S camera for taking pictures; i don't have much technical now how about cameras. One associate suggested to go for an DSLR. Because of which i am confused.

My requirements are;

Budget; 20-25k (can extend this for something exclusive)

Relatively easy to use; Not many settings

Excellent picture quality

Preferably not too bulky

Decent feature set; image stabilization, face detection etc.

Usage will be for outings/scenery and Automobiles.

The basic idea is that i don't want to change lenses for shots and all.

Any help on the above will be appreciated.
Old 17th March 2011, 16:49   #6752
Senior - BHPian

@Furebo, you have your points noted down very well. I would suggest that you stick to a decent Point & Shoot at this stage."Excellent picture quality" is a matter of perception.
Old 17th March 2011, 18:59   #6753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
hi all, i was planning to buy a descent P & S camera for taking pictures; i don't have much technical now how about cameras. One associate suggested to go for an DSLR. Because of which i am confused.

My requirements are;

Preferably not too bulky

If you want a compact camera without hassles of changing lenses, then you do not need a DSLR. Look for a decent point-and-shoot camera with a good optical zoom lense.

You go to a DSLR only if you want a lot of options in terms of controls and of course a number of lenses.
Old 17th March 2011, 19:25   #6754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
@Furebo, you have your points noted down very well. I would suggest that you stick to a decent Point & Shoot at this stage."Excellent picture quality" is a matter of perception.

But as some Associates suggested that if spending Around 25k, one can go in for a DSLR.Well about the image quality; i want it to be good because the rest of my requirements are not extensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
If you want a compact camera without hassles of changing lenses, then you do not need a DSLR. Look for a decent point-and-shoot camera with a good optical zoom lens.

You go to a DSLR only if you want a lot of options in terms of controls and of course a number of lenses.
I guess you'll are right about the DSLR part, i think i should stick to the PS cameras. And yes a good lens might give me what i need.

The problem is i do not know much about camera's, i am even finding it difficult to finalize on a PS camera. I know this thread it dedicated to the DSLR but i would appreciate it if i could get some advice on the other thread.
The link is below;

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...s-etc-303.html

Last edited by Furebo : 17th March 2011 at 19:54.
Old 17th March 2011, 22:26   #6755
BHPian

I saw this ad in ebay India today. 550d with kit lens for 34,500 including Canon India warranty. Is it possible to get a better price than this in Bangalore? Is there any major price cut coming up due to 600d launch?

eBay India: Canon 550D with 18-55mm IS Lens Kit + Manufacturer WRTy (item 260753590148 end time 24-Mar-2011 10:13:21 IST)
Old 17th March 2011, 22:35   #6756
BHPian

@Furebo

Quote:
But as some Associates suggested that if spending Around 25k, one can go in for a DSLR.Well about the image quality; i want it to be good because the rest of my requirements are not extensive.
I would suggest go for a very good PnS. In terms of Image quality, I dont think there would be any difference. Unless you like to experiment quite a bit with photography. My personal opinion stick to a high end PnS.
Old 17th March 2011, 22:42   #6757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

...Preferably not too bulky

I would suggest you canon S95 but personally I prefer the G series for the optical view finder!!
Old 17th March 2011, 23:38   #6758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
G series for the optical view finder!!
G does have an optical viewfinder, but the center of the image one sees through that does not match the the actual center on the LCD. Also, it also changes with zoom. Can be buggy at times.
Old 18th March 2011, 07:44   #6759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
G does have an optical viewfinder, but the center of the image one sees through that does not match the the actual center on the LCD. Also, it also changes with zoom. Can be buggy at times.
I have been using the A610 for the last 5 years though not as much zoom as the G-series nevertheless I got used to it!! BTW, I dont use the optical viewfinder all the time. I use it when I need to save battery or want a quick shot. BTW, I also shoot once in a while with the camera in the waist level!!!
Old 18th March 2011, 09:43   #6760
BHPian

Quote:

My requirements are;

Preferably not too bulky

Furebo, as others have suggested you don't really need a DSLR if you are not keen on too many settings and lens options.

With your budget you can go for one of those top end ultrazoom P&S cameras which will give you excellent value for money and satisfaction. All major camera makers have good ultrazooms on offer. I would suggest the below two:

1) Fujifilm Finepix HS10 - this one looks like a DSLR and comes very close to it for a casual user (DSLR freaks will disagree and question the definition of a casual user). It comes with 30x optical zoom which combined with excellent picture quality will take care of all your needs. I have heard extremely good feedback about this machine.

2) Canon Powershot SX30 IS - The latest ultrazoom from Canon has a mindblowing 35x zoom and though I haven't seen it in action it is guaranteed to be a great buy. You can buy a Canon with eyes closed when it comes to P&S cameras.
Old 18th March 2011, 10:55   #6761
Senior - BHPian

Furebo
If bulkiness is not preferred then you may look at travel zoom category of cameras.

Pjay has suggested good ones, but they are bigger (much bigger) than these travel zoom cams.

I suggest you to venture to the other thread where we talk about P&S digital cams.
Old 18th March 2011, 11:10   #6762
BHPian

Check out Panasonic FZ series also. They are the best if you consider shooting performance.
Old 18th March 2011, 12:53   #6763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo8 View Post
@Furebo

I would suggest go for a very good PnS. In terms of Image quality, I dont think there would be any difference. Unless you like to experiment quite a bit with photography. My personal opinion stick to a high end PnS.
Quote:
I would suggest you canon S95 but personally I prefer the G series for the optical view finder!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
Quote:
I have been using the A610 for the last 5 years though not as much zoom as the G-series nevertheless I got used to it!! BTW, I dont use the optical viewfinder all the time. I use it when I need to save battery or want a quick shot. BTW, I also shoot once in a while with the camera in the waist level!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjay_in View Post
Furebo, as others have suggested you don't really need a DSLR if you are not keen on too many settings and lens options.

With your budget you can go for one of those top end ultrazoom P&S cameras which will give you excellent value for money and satisfaction. All major camera makers have good ultrazooms on offer. I would suggest the below two:

1) Fujifilm Finepix HS10 - this one looks like a DSLR and comes very close to it for a casual user (DSLR freaks will disagree and question the definition of a casual user). It comes with 30x optical zoom which combined with excellent picture quality will take care of all your needs. I have heard extremely good feedback about this machine.

2) Canon Powershot SX30 IS - The latest ultrazoom from Canon has a mindblowing 35x zoom and though I haven't seen it in action it is guaranteed to be a great buy. You can buy a Canon with eyes closed when it comes to P&S cameras.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Furebo
If bulkiness is not preferred then you may look at travel zoom category of cameras.

Pjay has suggested good ones, but they are bigger (much bigger) than these travel zoom cams.

I suggest you to venture to the other thread where we talk about P&S digital cams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Check out Panasonic FZ series also. They are the best if you consider shooting performance.
Thank you all for your suggestion and advice as i said earlier;

Quote:
i think i should stick to the PS cameras. And yes a good lens might give me what i need.

The problem is i do not know much about camera's, i am even finding it difficult to finalize on a PS camera. I know this thread it dedicated to the DSLR but i would appreciate it if i could get some advice on the other thread.
The link is below;

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...s-etc-303.html
This discussion has gone OT please continue the same, in the other thread,the link is above.
Old 18th March 2011, 22:57   #6764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade View Post
I saw this ad in ebay India today. 550d with kit lens for 34,500 including Canon India warranty. Is it possible to get a better price than this in Bangalore? Is there any major price cut coming up due to 600d launch?

eBay India: Canon 550D with 18-55mm IS Lens Kit + Manufacturer WRTy (item 260753590148 end time 24-Mar-2011 10:13:21 IST)
Grab it, provided it is genuine. 34k was the price of a 500D a couple of months back. 550D was 45K then. (Street price and NOT MRP) Hard to believe that the price has come down 10k!
Old 19th March 2011, 06:44   #6765

If you are not too worried about bulkiness I would certainly say skip the P&S and go for a DSLR. Currently the 2 market leaders on this are Canon and Nikon.

The options are endless. I personally prefer the Nikon System to the Canon system due to (my personal opinion again) its ease of use and versatility compared to the Canon Systems.
People may also argue that the Nikon DLSRs are heavier than the Canons but, there's something about a little solid weight that actually lends itself to the fun of DSLR photography. The weight also helps in some way to stabilize your shots.

Keep in mind that when you buy a DSLR you're not buying the entire package at one shot but buying it part by part based on your usage patterns, likes and the genre of photography that you end up with.
To start with I would recommend that you go with Nikon D90. This model though it is close to 2 years old is still one of the most versatile DSLRs available for the beginner. It is not strictly a beginners camera like the D3000 or the newer replacement the D3100. The D5000 while still a little cheaper than the D90 and has a fancy articulating rear LCD screen still lacks the actual photographic versatility, focus functions, speed and image quality of the D90. The D90 actually forms the bridge between the consumer SLR and the D300/ D300s which is the starting range of professional cameras.

As far as the lens goes, I suggest that you start with the Kit Lens (18-105mm DX VR ) approximately equivalent to a 5.8x Zoom in the language of a compact point and shoot camera.
If the budget allows, buy a D90 body alone and the Nikkor 18-200 DX VRII Lens (11x zoom) for a slightly better reach and better optical stabilization (Nikon calls this Vibration Reduction and hence the VR)

Either of these is a good all round lens and light enough to carry around.
Once you decide what kind of shots you like to take you can look at Prime lenses, portrait lens, Macro lenses etc.
DSLR photography is an expensive hobby so if you believe that you will slowly build up a collection of lenses etc then start with the Nikon D90 and 18-105mm DX VR Kit lens. If it's a one time investment then stretch your budget to get the 18-200mm DX VRII Lens

I would suggest the following accessories be bought whatever your lens
UV Filter (Will protect your lens)
Polarizing filter (indispensable in outdoor landscape shots)
A good Camera bag (My choice is the lowepro Flipside 100 or 200 for you)

a 50mm f/1.8 is a great lens for portraits and shallow depth of field and reasonably inexpensive (150USD) but I recommend you wait before you get one of these to see how your interests go.

Ok enough with the lectures, here are the costs averaged off Amazon or Adorama.

D90 with kit lens (18-105 VR) - 1200 USD
D90 Body alone - 850 USD + Nikkor 18-200 VRII - 750 USD = 1600 USD

Nikon D5000 with Kit Lens (18-55mm-VR) - 700 USD - (Not my choice)

Canon EOS 550D with Kit lens (18-105mm) - 1000 USD (Probably a little better than the Nikon D5000 but not in the class of the Nikon D90

Prices have probably changed now especially with the advent of new class leaders for Nikon and Canon namely the Nikon D7000 and the Canon 60D. A good place to check the best prices for cameras is Fotocircle - Jayesh +91 80 22874356 or RK Photoguide - Naresh +91 80 22251929. Both are in Majestic, Bangalore

I hope I've confused you enough.

PS - Buying used is not a bad idea and you can check at a couple of forums like
BPC Forums • Login

Buy and Sell

Cheers and Happy Clicking

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks