Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2010, 14:31   #5251
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
You can't compare D90 with the 500/550D. The canon equivalent of D90 would be the 50D or the newly launched 60D.
Why is it so. I thought 550 was an DSLR camera, just like the D90, unless D90 does something which 550D cannot do?
Old 6th October 2010, 14:32   #5252
BHPian

A normal guy wont buy a DSLR either, so I guess for him the HD camcorder with photo taking capability would be a good choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
A question on equipments folks carry when on holiday:

1. Currently we get very good camcorders, which also record beautiful stills as well. (Obviously not as good as SLR, but still great for a holiday)

2. We also have an SLR which can record HD and take benchmark snaps.

But Hard-Disk based camcorders have so much space, and hence folks wont care about disk getting full. (I have a Sony SR-11 with 60GB space, records Full HD and 5.1 Audio and snaps at 10MP)

So the question is how does one decide. (I know most answers would differ person to person. But just wanted to get a perspective)

One View: If you are a photography guy, no prizes for guessing the answer.
But if you are not and are OK with either, then what? Its definitely not easy carrying all the electronics.
Old 6th October 2010, 15:18   #5253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
A normal guy wont buy a DSLR either....
I thought we were all normal human beings here . Oh man, this thread is getting very interesting !

ampere: answer this question, what do you enjoy doing, Video or Stills ? Again, what do you watch often, Video or stills ? I hope you get your decision easy. I love both, but I dont have the patience to hold a video cam and move around like a mad man sometimes not even enjoying the moment to its full.
Old 6th October 2010, 15:41   #5254
BHPian

Shaju Ji...what I meant was that a only a photo crazy person will look for a DSLR, most of the crowd settle for P&S,

I also agree that while capturing video the person behind the camera misses the live action, 2 months back I was in Spain filming an airshow, for about an hour, first was the aching arm second was live action through the viewfinder/LCD is not that thrilling, so after one hour when the tape was over, I chucked the camcorder and started enjoying the breathtaking dives performed by a WWII plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I thought we were all normal human beings here . Oh man, this thread is getting very interesting !

ampere: answer this question, what do you enjoy doing, Video or Stills ? Again, what do you watch often, Video or stills ? I hope you get your decision easy. I love both, but I dont have the patience to hold a video cam and move around like a mad man sometimes not even enjoying the moment to its full.
Old 6th October 2010, 15:55   #5255
Team-BHP Support

Shaju,

You hit the nail on the head. That was the last point I had put. I would any day prefer a DSLR (Thats why I bought one). (I like snaps).

But one would like to take extended videos of their kid(s) playing around in the holiday season. Camcorder would always be preferable there. Once they are older, then yes, camcorder kind of goes to back seat!

Till then I believe its a healthy competition !
Old 6th October 2010, 16:25   #5256
BHPian

Quote:
You hit the nail on the head. That was the last point I had put. I would any day prefer a DSLR (Thats why I bought one). (I like snaps).
Have you done any experiments with your new DSLR. How are you finding it?
Old 6th October 2010, 16:41   #5257
HSV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Gladiator View Post
Thanks buddy,

Mainly it was due to the price difference, I had already stretched my budget from D5000 to D90. I paid Rs 6000 for 50 mm. And it will give much sallower depth of field compared to 35mm.
You know what, now that you mention it... I did read a lot of info about how the 50mm lens with high Aperature are great for shallow DOF thereby making them great for portraits (since the 50mm frame equates to 75mm on DX, it can fill the face in the frame). I use to always assume that comparing 50mm F1.8 and 35mm F1.8 would pretty much have the same DOF results , i.e., Bokeh (assuming both lens have same no of blades - i.e., other things being equal). However now that you mention it I do remember many posts saying how their 50mm lens give not only shallower DOF, but also the perspective is better giving a more natural picture with less distortion (due to the wider lens). Does any one else feel the same? If so I may be more tempted to buy the 50mm F1.8D which not only has an Aperature ring (not that I know how to use that feature anyhow ), but also save some cash in the bargain.

Having said that, would it be considered sensible to spend the extra on a 50mm 1.4 instead of 1.8? Will the 2/3 stop make THAT much a difference? Am I stirring a hornet's nest here?

@Shajufx: I am seriously tempted in waiting for the D7000 - considering its going to be my first SLR, I would intend to keep it for a loooong time. So in that case one does tend to think about investing in the latest product which would last longer. But I am sure (correct me if I am wrong) when it does arrive in the market, it would be WAY over D90 pricing. So I guess its D90 with prime lens now. I am not too keen on the 18-105 although I have heard its a great Kit lens.

@phamilyman: You see this is where it gets very very confusing! 9K is not THAT big a difference whereby one is sucked into buying grey. However even if one did buy with warranty - I have heard some pretty nasty SOB stories about products being further abused when being attended to by the so called warranty providers. (I remember Nokia screwing up my perfectly new and in order E70 when I sent it for a firmware upgrade after 1 month of purchase - taken my confidence away from warranty jobs). So I guess its more like a Catch 22 here. BTW, who is Golu? A member here or some famous shop in Chandni Chowk? Would be great if you could provide the contact number (PM me if you dont want to display it in the forum... much appreciated, Thnx).

Edit: BTW, I guess the diff is not even 9K, one of the members did mention few posts ago that he got it for 40850/- with warranty. So thats like 3.8K a difference! You reckon any one in Delhi can better that pricing? Would be great to find out.

Last edited by HSV : 6th October 2010 at 16:48.
Old 6th October 2010, 17:14   #5258
Team-BHP Support

HSV, as a seasoned member of dSLR MP, I can tell you that lenses will stay with you lot longer than bodies. In the digital world, bodies are becoming obsolete very fast. Spend 70% of your funds on lenses and 30% on the body, that will be optimal.
Old 6th October 2010, 17:30   #5259
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethan.ram View Post
Have you done any experiments with your new DSLR. How are you finding it?
I can already tell you I am not regretting that decision of not buying FZ100 and opting for an SLR. It can take snaps, which I could never dream in Point and Shoot Cameras!

As you can see I am in the "WOW" period and hence cannot comment on what is good and what is not. Every thing I find today is good !

As regards to Canon versus Nikon, I don't have any answers to why I chose Canon. I have been a canon fan for quite some time. Not that it biased my decision in a big way. Some how I liked 550 hold much better than Nikon. I could not hold a D90 as it was not available. I tried a D3000 and did not feel good about it.
Old 6th October 2010, 17:48   #5260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.....one would like to take extended videos of their kid(s) playing around in the holiday season. Camcorder would always be preferable there.
Agreed, anyone can use a camcorder, you just need to press the record button and leave it with someone, it will do its work. But not everyone can even hold a DSLR correctly, not daring to mention the composition, framing, focusing part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV View Post
....If so I may be more tempted to buy the 50mm F1.8D which not only has an Aperature ring (not that I know how to use that feature anyhow), but also save some cash in the bargain. ....when it does arrive in the market, it would be WAY over D90 pricing.
Does the aperture ring on AF-D lenses function on a D90 or higher bodies ? I think all the aperture settings are done electronically (with the aperture dial below the shutter button). So aperture ring will only add some physical beauty if you care about it.

D7000 will sell much higher than D90 as the features are totally different, mentioned in my previous post. The hints are MRP around 70k with the 18-105 kit lens. Thats close to the D300s body grey price. May be D300s might have a price drop. Feature wise, I find D7000 better placed.

Quote:
....Some how I liked 550 hold much better than Nikon. I could not hold a D90 as it was not available. I tried a D3000 and did not feel good about it.
I only wish if we could 'hold and feel' good or bad when it comes to matrimony, we dont have a choice to upgrade the 'body' at any given time life-long ! End result: Be happy with what you have !
Old 6th October 2010, 18:37   #5261
Team-BHP Support

By the way: Any comments on what Jacs mentioned about sensor life getting degraded by using SLRs for video recording?
Old 6th October 2010, 19:08   #5262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
A normal guy wont buy a DSLR either, so I guess for him the HD camcorder with photo taking capability would be a good choice
+1 to that.

Just like normal human beings won't spend half day hooked to TBHP talking cars, normal human beings won't spend so much of money buying cameras that as per them needs different lenses for different occassion.

@Shajufx: Accept it, we are not normal human beings!
Old 6th October 2010, 20:17   #5263
BHPian

Quote:
As regards to Canon versus Nikon, I don't have any answers to why I chose Canon. I have been a canon fan for quite some time. Not that it biased my decision in a big way. Some how I liked 550 hold much better than Nikon. I could not hold a D90 as it was not available. I tried a D3000 and did not feel good about it.
I was a Canon fan and still am one. Its only D90 that attracted me towards Nikon. Finally it boils down to how you click pictures and it really doesn't matter if its a Canon or a Nikon. Hoping to enter the DSLR family soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx
I only wish if we could 'hold and feel' good or bad when it comes to matrimony, we dont have a choice to upgrade the 'body' at any given time life-long ! End result: Be happy with what you have !
Well said.
Old 6th October 2010, 20:25   #5264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Agreed, anyone can use a camcorder, you just need to press the record button and leave it with someone, it will do its work. But not everyone can even hold a DSLR correctly, not daring to mention the composition, framing, focusing part.
+1

In addition, a DSLR used as a video is not very good for spontaneous shoots, because in most of the prosumer series (Eg Canon 550D and below), Autofocus does not work in Video Mode.

Videos using DSLR are best left for creative shoots/documentaries, and require serious adjustments.

Coming back to the original question regarding what to carry - one more option is to carry a Instant HD camera (Like Flip, or some Kodak Models). These are really easy to use, provide HD quality, and are very portable. They are cheaper than your normal HD camcorders, and could be a good compromise especially when kids want to take videos.
Old 6th October 2010, 21:40   #5265
Senior - BHPian

I am just hours away (or may be minutes) from entering the DSLR family. UPS tracking system says my D90 is out to deliver it to me. Have been reading this thread and lots of youtube gyan lately. Hopefully will put to use soon.

I am sure will take lots of expert help from experts of this thread.
Abhi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks