Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2010, 12:19   #5326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The guys at the canon class suggested a Sony tripod for a budget under 2K.

Ampere, I'm no expert here. But having used my old flimsy tripod for the new DSLR, would suggest to invest in something good enough to keep you running for many years (tripods need not keep changing normally).

If you have an interest for telephotos (wildlife & birding), go for one with a ball head. While searching, I found Benro has decent ones at affordable prices (starts at <5K with ball head). Equivalent Manfrottos costs 10K+, not sure whether its worth investing (remember Shaju's experience here).

Last edited by jacs : 11th October 2010 at 12:21.
Old 11th October 2010, 13:24   #5327
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Jacs. I am no wildlife/birding person. But the comment sets me thinking.
Can some one put a list of Accessories (must-have/good-to-have) etc for first-timers:

What I can think off:

Must-Have: Good SD-Card, cleaning kit, scratch protection, travel bag
Good to have : Tripod, extra battery

etc. etc. If some one can make a comprehensive list with comments on each item, about budgets to spend, brands to look for like things, that would be great.

Any takers please?
Old 11th October 2010, 18:18   #5328
Senior - BHPian

I am looking at buying the Canon 1000D, which would be my first SLR. 22.5k seems to be the market price, is it a good deal? Reliance Digital offered a 750rs voucher if using an ICICI debit/credit card.

They also had a bare basic tripod costing some 675bucks. Will that do good? Or the experts out here can suggest me some good brands. Thanks in advance.
Old 11th October 2010, 20:22   #5329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
I am looking at buying the Canon 1000D, which would be my first SLR. 22.5k seems to be the market price, is it a good deal? Reliance Digital offered a 750rs voucher if using an ICICI debit/credit card.

They also had a bare basic tripod costing some 675bucks. Will that do good? Or the experts out here can suggest me some good brands. Thanks in advance.
22.5K is a good deal, and plus you are getting the additional 750 bucks discount, go for a 8/16GB card, and dont go for a bare basic tripod, Simplex makes decent tripods, i bought one for 2K and it is pretty stable. Remember, you are buying a DSLR which is heavy and bulky as compared to a P&S, so buy a good tripod.
Old 11th October 2010, 20:42   #5330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Checkout Vanguard ? Photo-Video - Tripods, Camera Bags, Cases, Optics, Binoculars

Pampas 47
Attachment 436930

As such the bag is too big for me, looks empty after keeping all my accesories and cam. May be once I aquire the telephoto lens, it would make sense to start using
Small correction, its Vanguard Pampas 57 (just re-confirmed after reaching home). But not much changes visible from outside, only size difference.

Last edited by jacs : 11th October 2010 at 20:43.
Old 12th October 2010, 09:15   #5331
BHPian

I need help with my D90's White balancing and Picture control. I find that most of pictures are too contrast not to my liking. Particularly if I am taking portraits, where most people skin won't come as natural. I set White balancing in auto, picture control to Vivid... I reduce the contrast in Vivid mode still colors too harsh. any recommendation which setting better for portraits?
Old 12th October 2010, 10:11   #5332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
I need help with my D90's White balancing and Picture control. I find that most of pictures are too contrast not to my liking. Particularly if I am taking portraits, where most people skin won't come as natural. I set White balancing in auto, picture control to Vivid... I reduce the contrast in Vivid mode still colors too harsh. any recommendation which setting better for portraits?
Well use custom white balance if you do not like.
some people like these kind of images and call them more vivid colors , those who don't like me buy Canon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
I wil say don't waste 675 Rupees , those tripods are just good for camcorders.

If you want a value deal and comfortable waiting for 30-40 days in shipment buy a monfretto clone from dealextreme.com at 64$. ( approx 3K rupees)

DealExtreme: $63.85 1.5M Aluminum Alloy Digital Camera Tripod (5KG Load Max)

Disclaimer I have not purchased the above item till now seeing the usual delays in shipment to India and still checking if I can find a similar clone with ballhead locally.

Last edited by Amartya : 13th October 2010 at 08:08. Reason: Back to back posts within 20 minutes
Old 12th October 2010, 10:39   #5333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Can you post a sample of the pic you dont like, if its possible? Which mode do you choose to shoot the portraits? Try the portrait mode, auto and manual with your custom settings and see the difference.
Old 12th October 2010, 10:54   #5334
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
If you want a value deal and comfortable waiting for 30-40 days in shipment buy a monfretto clone from dealextreme.com at 64$. ( approx 3K rupees)

DealExtreme: $63.85 1.5M Aluminum Alloy Digital Camera Tripod (5KG Load Max)
One should try to source this tripod. Within that price range this looks like a nice deal.
Old 12th October 2010, 10:56   #5335
BHPian

Hi all, GK Vale shop shows Rs.31,960.00 for Nikon D3100. Do you think this is a good deal at Bangalore?
Cameras and More -> Digital SLRs
Nikon D3100 - Free 4 GB Card + Carry Case
Old 12th October 2010, 11:18   #5336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
Hi all, GK Vale shop shows Rs.31,960.00 for Nikon D3100. Do you think this is a good deal at Bangalore?
The best place to buy a camera in Bangalore is from Mr. Jayesh at Photo Circle (Balepet, Majestic Area). Check the prices with him.

For a Canon 550D, there was a price difference of around 3k between GK Vale and his prices. I see that GK vale is charging around 2k more for an EOS 1000D also.

If it is inconvenient for you to go to Majestic, then try bargaining with GK Vale and get it from there itself.
Old 12th October 2010, 11:27   #5337
Team-BHP Support

If it just the basic camera with kit lens, even Croma is good.
Old 12th October 2010, 15:21   #5338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
One should try to source this tripod. Within that price range this looks like a nice deal.
I need one desperately as I left my tripod at home...

This 'Victory' It has decent reviews too...ballhead for 68$ not bad

I was bidding on a used Velbon 450 then it closed at 20$ lower then a new one! I canot really fork out so much I think I will try this one out.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Aluminum-allo...80986449957136

^This appears to be the same one but they say 8kg(not that I need it)

Last edited by s0uljah : 12th October 2010 at 15:29. Reason: Edit : Link
Old 12th October 2010, 15:54   #5339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
I bought D3100 with kit lens+4GB Card+ Nikon carry bag for 29750 Rs. at Foto shop in brigade towers, Ananda Rao circle. I think this is the best deal I could get. He was expecting more consignment in next 2-3 weeks and was willing to offer more discount then.
Old 12th October 2010, 17:50   #5340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
I bought D3100 with kit lens+4GB Card+ Nikon carry bag for 29750 Rs. at Foto shop in brigade towers, Ananda Rao circle. I think this is the best deal I could get. He was expecting more consignment in next 2-3 weeks and was willing to offer more discount then.
Thanks DieselFan. This information helps.
I will ask Jayesh also about the price when i visit him next time.

One of my friends is looking for this model and likely he wants to use his Credit Card for the purchase so taht he can convert the transaction to EMI payback. So Foto Circle or any other shops which charge 2% for CC could be a concern.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks