Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2010, 10:27   #4576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I want a suggestion on protecting my 550D (since its not a pro body, I need to take care of it more than others). Can someone suggest me a decent / wheatherproof carrying case / camera bag?
Just search in the thread itself, you will get all the answers. That way the regulars who do the answering don't have to repeat.

Below are some advices on the camera bag. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
I found Tamrac also of good quality but i was impressed with Lowepro Pro Runner 200 AW but yet to decide on it
Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I am a die-hard Lowepro fan since 2 years. I just love the Flipside 200 which is on me whenever I step out with the cam, saw the same in their stall today. I have seen some Pros using Flipside 300 that can take a lot of things inside. Tamrac also has a very wide range of bags, supposed to be very good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
I was keen on buying a bag there but before going there i had taken prices from Jayesh and jjmehta.com. They offer you 20% off on MRP on Tamrac Bags and Rs .500 off Lowepro Bags. But on You can get at much lower prices at Jayesh & jjmehta.com. I suggest you to checkout all the models there and buy the same at Jayesh
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay_ss View Post
I I did browse through Tamrac and Lowepro cam bags and Tamrac had a 20 percent discount running.

today i picked up a Tamrac Velocity 8X for Rs 3000. Its a sling bag and i absolutely loved the quality. It holds the Canon 550D body and 70-200 lens comfortably along with the kit 18-55 lens. It has adequate space for another 2 lens. I like the sling bag, which enables one to turn the bag to the front and easy to open the bag without taking it off the shoulder. The stitching quality is superb.
Old 30th July 2010, 10:33   #4577
Senior - BHPian

cool! I'll continue to search.
In the mean time, if new buyers get some good deals around, please share.

Also searched for Tripods and found some good information.
Thanks.
Old 30th July 2010, 15:16   #4578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Any idea where in Bangalore one can get hold of these?
Any store that sells jeans , jackets and other garments (identity ,wearhouse , Megamart, brandfactory) just that they don't call it photographers jacket. Ask for multi pocket sleeveless cotton jacket. I contemplating buying one some time back then rejected the idea. It may be bit more nuisance then a lens cap with leash , I have lost many things in multipocket trousers and found them back once they are out of washing machine items include one cellphone , a P&S camera and currency notes so many times.
Old 30th July 2010, 16:43   #4579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Thanks Jaguar. This was a very useful link

Somehow the part 3 has still not been published in the link.
Old 30th July 2010, 16:54   #4580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just keep the lens cap in your trouser pocket.
Never do that, it will get humid due to the body heat and tough to absorb the water content when you want to close the lens. Its better to be in the bag.

Quote:
......a decent / wheatherproof carrying case / camera bag?...... a good Tripod
Lowepro, Tamrac and Kata models are plenty in the market. Choose based on your budget. A good quality Manfrotto tripod will go above 15k easily with a ball head. Check Velbon or Benro, both start from 3k to 15k upwards. I am not sure if you can find them in Bangalore. I searched for a Benro ball head and finally got it from Mumbai Gaffarbhai and Sons. They are very friendly and professional in the dealings. Aluminium for a lower budget, carbon fibre for a higher budget. Reading this will help Really Right Stuff ... Tripod 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Any store that sells jeans , jackets and other garments (identity ,wearhouse , Megamart, brandfactory) just that they don't call it photographers jacket.
My friend failed to find a single jacket searching every brand shops in few malls, finally picking one from Jayesh. I doubt the usual multipocket what you get in denim shops will serve the purpose. Photographer's jacket is custom made with special inner lining and water/humidity protected pockets. And its not a 'wash after every use' type. I love to get a military design one when I get into wildlife or birding.

Last edited by shajufx : 30th July 2010 at 16:56.
Old 30th July 2010, 17:26   #4581
BHPian

Hi, those who bought Canon DSLR and registered on Canon site, how long it took for the camera bag and welcome kit to arrive? And any reviews of the free workshop they offer (Bangalore)?

Thanks!
Shyam
Old 30th July 2010, 17:30   #4582
Team-BHP Support

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Congrats! How much did you pay for the 55-250?
550D & 18-55 IS & 4 GB card kit + 55-250 IS + one cleaning kit together came to 55+.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Hey, congrats. Share the details of pricing (body, lenses) and from where you got the deal.Happy clicking.
Jayesh only!

Had a small visit to bangalore, and picked it up from there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Taken with 55-250 at the tele end? Looks a bit soft.
55- 250 at full tele & ISO 3200.
Quote:
Congratulations CrazyDriver,
Go crazy shooting around.

I have got mine a few days back and still learning at very slow pace, not getting enough time these days.

I want a suggestion on protecting my 550D (since its not a pro body, I need to take care of it more than others). Can someone suggest me a decent / wheatherproof carrying case / camera bag?

I'm planning to get a good Tripod (Manfrotto 3001pro or 055xpro) and RC-6 as well.
Do you think it will be cheaper from US or can I get it at almost same price in India as well? If you know better products / source to get them, please suggest.
Other senior members here will be in a better position to answer this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Congrats crazydriver. want to know the price info. Can you post pics of the lens?
Will post in a day or two. Price posted above.
Old 30th July 2010, 17:31   #4583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
Hi, those who bought Canon DSLR and registered on Canon site, how long it took for the camera bag and welcome kit to arrive?
3 weeks over since I bought my DSLR and I still have not recevied it. Checked it up with CANON helpdesk and they informed me that the company policy states "within 30 days".

@ Crazydriver - Any idea how much the 55-250 lens alone cost you?

Last edited by ajman28 : 30th July 2010 at 17:35.
Old 30th July 2010, 19:26   #4584
Senior - BHPian

Will be very very happy to receive those wet & damaged currency notes anytime..

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I have lost many things in multipocket trousers and found them back once they are out of washing machine items include one cellphone , a P&S camera and currency notes so many times.
Old 30th July 2010, 20:14   #4585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Will be very very happy to receive those wet & damaged currency notes anytime..
Well Sir I have taken care of notes but in case some one needs can send camera and phone with corroded PCB . Any way was pointing such mistake with DSLR accessories will be really costly.
Old 31st July 2010, 22:01   #4586
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been wanting to buy a DSLR for quite sometime now, but it never materialized.
I follow this thread religiously. All this while I have been accompanying my friends whenever they venture out with their pro-grade stuff. But now I want to get one for myself.

I would be particularly interested in capturing cityscapes, landscapes, not much into wildlife.

From what I have been reading on the net it seems both Nikon, Canon are a safe bet.
The models that I am eyeing are D30000, 1000D and D5000.

Most probably will go for a D5000 with the kit lens.
Is it a good choice?
Any other model I am missing out on in the same price range?

Nikon india site mentions around 35k for it, what is the best deal i can get in Hyd?
Old 31st July 2010, 23:15   #4587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
From what I have been reading on the net it seems both Nikon, Canon are a safe bet.
The models that I am eyeing are D30000, 1000D and D5000.

Most probably will go for a D5000 with the kit lens.
Is it a good choice?
Any other model I am missing out on in the same price range?

Nikon india site mentions around 35k for it, what is the best deal i can get in Hyd?
Nikon India site lists INR 31950 for D5000 body and 37950 for D5000 + 18-55 VR kit lens. Look around carefully, you should be able to get it with bill and warranty for 3-4k less, big-name malls sell close to MSRP. The D5000 is a pretty good camera, is one of those I've shortlisted too. But I'm expecting big expenses, so I might have to delay my DSLR purchase a few months :-/

Anyway, there's a 12-13k street price difference between the D3000 and D5000, so if you're on a limited budget and won't be spending more on the camera for a long time, you might want to consider spending the differential amount on getting another good lens instead, perhaps even skipping the kit lens if you're sure of what kind of shooting you do doesn't need zoom.

PS : Don't want to confuse you further, but all 3 of the above are likely to see replacement models soon. Not very sure of the D5000, but there are indications of a D3100 from Nikon, and the 1000D replacement seems on the cards too. That's why you can now get a D3000 or 1000D with kit lens for 22-23k. Happy bargain hunting.
Old 31st July 2010, 23:24   #4588
Distinguished - BHPian

thanks ricci for the response.

actually i am hoping to get it at around 34. A little stretch but worth it i suppose? As far as the replacements are concerned, when are they expected?
Old 1st August 2010, 00:15   #4589
Senior - BHPian

@dryice : Dont expect that any substantial difference is going to come in the replacements. Even if it happens or does not is another issue but the pricing would be above the replacement models. But what may happen of interest to you is that the prices of the old models will fall.

Heard somewhere that the like time if Sep-Dec this year.

Another option I can think of you is to buy a used D3000/D5000 or even D90 with an IS lens or higher lens in same/lower budget. Later on when new models are launched and tested you can upgrade.
Old 1st August 2010, 00:26   #4590
BHPian

@Dry Ice
yes , 34k should be feasible, as I am told Hyd prices are cheaper than other major cities & metros. D5000 is surely better than the D3000, if you need faster shooting and low light performance. Video is helpful too, though it's no camcorder replacement.

Replacement models are expected to be announced in August/September, shipping will follow in 1-2 months after. Don't worry too much about replacement models, they will be better but will cost a few 1000 more as well and you would do save money by not getting tempted by the latest and greatest. Technology keeps changing, every 2-3 years you get new model lines. Models toward end of their life-cycle get large discounts, some malls here offer the 1000D for 22.6k with kit lens ! That's cheaper than many a point-n-shoot ;only thing is I don't know if those will reduce further !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks