Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2010, 17:25   #4531
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Tanveer thanks for your time, sadly it doesnt work that easy. Check the pic below:
Attachment 392000

Now about your issue: best way to judge the value is to go to a shop that deals with used lenses. They are the best to tell you whats the maximum possible offer for a used lens. I dont think anybody else will be able to track the value of things as we are just busy using them. I heard you get things cheaper in Delhi even for brand new lenses, so used one will definitely get a hit too.
There are lots of other dealers also listed if you search tripod screw. Some of them ship to india, like these ones
1/4" to 3/8" Convert Screw Adapter Tripod Flash Bracket - eBay (item 270608433837 end time Aug-15-10 01:15:21 PDT)

1/4" to 3/8" Convert Screw Adapter for Tripod & Monopod - eBay (item 180517967262 end time Aug-07-10 08:22:20 PDT)
Old 22nd July 2010, 17:38   #4532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have a question regarding resale value of lenses. Normally if a Canon non L lens is available brand new 10,000rs in grey market, how much should I expect for the same lens when I am selling it(the lens is around 3.5 years old)
What is the approximate depreciation.
The best offer I have got is aorund 6K, but I am wondering whether I should hold. Or do non L lenses have a poor resale value?
Assuming that the lens is in reasonable condition, IMO the price you are getting is reasonable. The trading is opportunity based, you may get more at a given time or may not get anyone even when you offer for peanuts. Anything, 6-7K should be your expectation.

I dont know about the resale value of non L lenses.
Old 22nd July 2010, 19:07   #4533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Now my problem...
I have a question regarding resale value of lenses. Normally if a Canon non L lens is available brand new 10,000rs in grey market, how much should I expect for the same lens when I am selling it(the lens is around 3.5 years old)
What is the approximate depreciation.
The best offer I have got is aorund 6K, but I am wondering whether I should hold. Or do non L lenses have a poor resale value?
Depends on the type of lens, it's availability and the current price (grey) in the market. I got my Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro lens for about 17k used and if I want to sell it today, I can do so for about 18-19k as the grey market price is about 23-24k (grey price was about 19k when I had bought it). So, I'll actually make a profit out of that one .
Old 22nd July 2010, 21:02   #4534
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys, finally I got through Ronnie's number (it was not reachable from last nite), he has a stainless steel screw converter (UK made) for Rs.350. Hopefully planning to pick it up Saturday morning. I am yet to digest the price of it. A 7mm piece of metal with 3 or 4 threads on it, normally looks like a piece of scrap = Rs.350/

I was not feeling justified about the price I paid (12k) for the used Fiesol carbon fiber tripod (CT-3441), 3 metal spikes, centre column and short column. Having conveyed my true feelings to the seller, I was in for a shock, he kindly couriered me a Fiesol Horizonal adaptor (VH-40 HA) that costs $99.. How sweet !! Wish every seller was with a kind heart like this.
Old 22nd July 2010, 22:40   #4535
Senior - BHPian

Anyone using this battery pack with there D80/D90`s...

MB-D80 Multi-Power Battery Pack from Nikon

There are also aftermarket option like this ones...Anyone using them...

Amazon.com: Jenis J-ND90-P-B Professional Battery Grip for Nikon D90/D80 (Black): Electronics

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 22nd July 2010 at 22:43.
Old 23rd July 2010, 12:40   #4536
BHPian

I thought this thread was about asking questions - nobody bothered to read mine? :-)
Or is it only pros/hobbyist level Qs that are entertained? hoping to get some pointers about entry level dslr (D3000) and lenses to go with it.
Old 23rd July 2010, 12:51   #4537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Original Nikon pack is the best and safe to have, but the cost of it (7.5k something) is stopping me from getting one. Once you are used to it, you cant find your DSLR comfortable without it. Ask few questions to yourself before buying one: 1) Do you find your stock battery not enough for the shoots you do ?, 2) Do you shoot too many portraits (portrait mode) ? 3) Do you travel with your camera often ? If all the answers are YES, you need one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
I thought this thread was about asking questions - nobody bothered to read mine? :-)
Dont worry Abhay, people who are supposed to answer here are busy asking questions lately . Remember 2 things before you decide on any brand or make. 1) How serious you are going to take this hobby ahead ? 2) What will be your main field of interest (portrait, landscape, macro, birding, wildlife)? Your lens requirements will depend solely on the 2nd question. Spend more on good lenses than the body. D5000 has much more advanced features which you might require at a later stage. D3000 is just basic. Better go to the showroom, handle it yourself and play around with it. Also read few good reviews of both. It will be easier for your to decide. Initially go with the kit lens 18-55 that comes with the cam, later you can find out your special interest field and chose lenses accordingly.
Old 23rd July 2010, 13:25   #4538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Or is it only pros/hobbyist level Qs that are entertained? hoping to get some pointers about entry level dslr (D3000) and lenses to go with it.
I felt the same way. But tell me frankly, how many pages in this thread have you gone through? Especially, Nikon 3000/5000/D90 and Cannon EOS 450/500/1000 with their lenses have been discussed in detail time and again.

Please go though the thread and ask anything specific you want to ask.

BTW there is no one here to entertain questions like a customer care. Its a forum where people contribute on their own or just be mute spectator. Its their personal choice. Dont worry, I have the opinion as yours.
Old 23rd July 2010, 13:50   #4539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
well not Nikon and not the battery pack but I am using a LP-E5 equivalent battery purchased on Amazon for 5$ and it is as good as the original Canon LP-E5. I charge both of them fully and both lasts nearly the same.

Read reviews and ratings on sites like Amazon and go ahead if you like it.
Old 23rd July 2010, 13:59   #4540
BHPian

Is anyone using extender for lens. I use a canon 500D + 55 - 250 IS Lens. Any review about using extender with this lens?
Old 23rd July 2010, 15:47   #4541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
But tell me frankly, how many pages in this thread have you gone through? Especially, Nikon 3000/5000/D90 and Cannon EOS 450/500/1000 with their lenses have been discussed in detail time and again.
Well said. I was contemplating purchase some months back. I went through the entire thread. Yes, that is right. The entire thread.

I could narrow down on what I want from all the replies posted already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
BTW there is no one here to entertain questions like a customer care.
Customer care? That was a good one.
Old 23rd July 2010, 16:10   #4542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Original Nikon pack is the best and safe to have, but the cost of it (7.5k something) is stopping me from getting one. Once you are used to it, you cant find your DSLR comfortable without it.
There are brands which are available for 5k or so and they are good enough. Have been using a non nikon battery pack for over a year and absolutely no problems what so ever, battery life also has been pretty good.
Old 23rd July 2010, 16:49   #4543
Senior - BHPian

Riju, please post the details of what you have, I am sure its going to be of great help for others who are on the lookout. I have heard of Zeikos and Opteka making similar battery packs of Nikon and Canon, for half the prize. Havent heard of any major complaints in any of the discussions I have read so far.
Old 23rd July 2010, 17:01   #4544
BHPian

Thanks shajufx, I did post earlier on that my main interest would be landscapes (I often go hiking in the hills) and wildlife. .
Guys, sorry if I caused any offence, but going through 300 pages of a thread will be madness, I know I can do a search but it often is not the best option and you end up having to go through everything. Posting the question over here means people who are actively reading this thread can see it and possibly answer. I narrowed down on the 3000 because of its price, reviews, lens system (I can possibly borrow lenses for Nikon SLRs from a couple of friends) and the fact that I do not think this hobby will go to gigantic proportions. (I already have another hobby which makes me spend (or want to spend) lots of money/time on) even though I do like taking photographs and I do travel quite a bit prompting the quest for a dSLR.
Old 23rd July 2010, 20:06   #4545
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks shajufx, I did post earlier on that my main interest would be landscapes (I often go hiking in the hills) and wildlife. .
Guys, sorry if I caused any offence, but going through 300 pages of a thread will be madness, I know I can do a search but it often is not the best option and you end up having to go through everything. Posting the question over here means people who are actively reading this thread can see it and possibly answer. I narrowed down on the 3000 because of its price, reviews, lens system (I can possibly borrow lenses for Nikon SLRs from a couple of friends) and the fact that I do not think this hobby will go to gigantic proportions. (I already have another hobby which makes me spend (or want to spend) lots of money/time on) even though I do like taking photographs and I do travel quite a bit prompting the quest for a dSLR.
I was also considering the D3000 over the Canon 1000D but now i have dropped it and im going for the Canon because of two main problems, The absence of live view and exposure bracketing mode, because of which i would be unable to shoot HDR's . Leaving these two problems the D3000 is a great buy, you get a VR lens with almost same specs of the canon at three grand less, plus the Kit lens is known to be better than canon's(some pro photographer told me). Also the nikon is more user friendly with the guide mode.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks