Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2010, 06:50   #4411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
congrats! happy shooting.

what was the dent? will you be using the stock lens?
Yes brother.Sadly have to stick to 18-55 lens for a while.Now Im just a beginner.All photos look like something a P&S camera would take.Still got to learn how to use.Anyone can help?No patience to read manual.
Old 5th July 2010, 09:21   #4412
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by punterccrx8s View Post
Yes brother.Sadly have to stick to 18-55 lens for a while.Now Im just a beginner.All photos look like something a P&S camera would take.Still got to learn how to use.Anyone can help?No patience to read manual.
I assume you got the 18-55VR lens. I doubt that even in auto mode the photos of a P&S will compare to that of a DSLR when blown up beyond 8x10. If you viewing these photos on your computer monitor or making 5x7 prints of them then maybe a P&S can copete but once you blow up to 16x24 and larger the advantages of the large sensor (DSLR) become evident.

Besides most P&S have shutter lag. Most DSLRs do not.

Maybe it is just a matter of perspective. In the old days we took pictures on slide film, made slides, and used a projetor to view them on a screen. Today a DSLR, Card viewer (I used a PS3) and LCD TV does the same. At these sizes (screen/LCD) the advantages of a DSLR are evident.
Old 5th July 2010, 09:49   #4413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sadly but truly you will have to waste...oooooooops sorry.......invest time in reading the manual and some photography tutorials available on net. First of all you must get acquainted with all the features and functions of the camera. Most of us buy camera with all the features loaded but never use the best of the features. Once you get used to your camera, read tutorials and try it out in different conditions. Its a one time investment which you should do to justice to your camera. To make the results look like that from a DSLR rather than a P&S.
Old 5th July 2010, 13:24   #4414
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys.Just bought Nikon d3000 .Im very excited as this is my first D-SLR.Cant wait to check out the features.
How much you paid for entire kit?
Old 5th July 2010, 14:10   #4415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer View Post
Finally I have decided to buy a DSLR instead of a Point & Shoo Camera. I found Cannon 1000D and Nikon D3000 to be within my budget, but am not sure which one is better.
Can somebody help me in deciding?
Please have a look at following reviews I am sure it will definitely make your decision easier

: Digital Photography Review

Nikon D3000 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Canon EOS 1000D / Rebel XS Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Last edited by vvvinod : 5th July 2010 at 14:14.
Old 5th July 2010, 15:54   #4416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Sorry can not help this one . Looks like selection of a dog.

Anyways whats your budget can you specify? What are your needs of shooting etc? IMO with Canon1000D you can compare Nikon 5000.
25K max, is the budget.
Old 5th July 2010, 17:23   #4417
BHPian

I bought a Canon 450D from Jayesh, Foto Circle.
Canon 450D body+18-55 IS lense+2GB Sandisk card (class 2)+battery and charger+strap were in the box. I bought 4GB memory card and UV filter in addition. All for 31,600/- cash pay. Jayesh told, we will get a bag from Canon up on registering the product on Canon website.
Reaching Jayesh's shop was not that difficult. He was helpful and knowledgeable.
Few notes to our friends here looking to buy from him -
He told, another next 10 days, he is moving to a new place - a showroom near Anandrao Circle. But from his talk, clue is - prices might not be same in the new showroom.
Charges 2% for card payments.
Calling him on his mobile phone is not a good idea as I always saw him very busy (was there for 2.5 hrs) and he prefers to talk to his customers in the counter than attending calls from unknown numbers (rightly so?). I called his landline for knowing payment method, location details etc. Someone at his shop assisted always.
On Saturday, his shop was crowded a lot and lots of business there! So plan to spend few hours for shopping if it is on a weekend.
This is my first camera with advanced features. So can not comment much on camera or photo quality. Thanks everyone contributing to this thread. It is helping!

Thanks again,
-Shyam
Old 5th July 2010, 17:36   #4418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
Canon 450D body+18-55 IS lense+2GB Sandisk card (class 2)+battery and charger+strap were in the box. I bought 4GB memory card and UV filter in addition. All for 31,600/- cash pay.
Congrats.

Was this price with bill and warranty?

Was 450D easily available? Or you got previous confirmation on phone from Jayesh on 450D availability?
Old 5th July 2010, 17:46   #4419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Congrats.

Was this price with bill and warranty?

Was 450D easily available? Or you got previous confirmation on phone from Jayesh on 450D availability?
With bill and Warranty. He suggested me to always buy the camera body with B&W. I did not question him further.
I guess he still has some more 450D with him.
Old 5th July 2010, 20:41   #4420
BHPian

Where can i get a good price on a DSLR in Delhi ? In Chandigarh Cannon 1000D with kit lens is for 23K.
Old 6th July 2010, 00:19   #4421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
He told, another next 10 days, he is moving to a new place - a showroom near Anandrao Circle. But from his talk, clue is - prices might not be same in the new showroom.
Thanks again,
-Shyam
Congrats Shyam.
The talk about moving to a new place has been going on for ages. I heard the same when I bought my cam this Jan.
Old 6th July 2010, 00:41   #4422
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone got a 50D quote from Jayesh recently? Anyone has got an idea on how much that will cost from other sources in Bangalore? For now, I may just go for body and use a friends 50m f1.8 from a friend and slowly start learning and then decide what all lenses I should start with.
Old 6th July 2010, 00:59   #4423
Senior - BHPian

^^hey get it from ebay, the place i have got my 50D has listed it for 49,500(now its 48,900) for body.

eBay India: CANON EOS 50D SLR CAMERA 15.1MP BODY ONLY NEW+WARRANTY (item 330448771781 end time 08-Jul-2010 16:40:00 IST)

you can talk to the guy on phone and bargain little more, and believe me you will need 18-55IS lens. i think you can get it for ~54-55k. I know 50mm is a great lens but its not everyday lens you will need little wide lens. I have 50mm as well as 18-55IS and normally use 18-55, 50mm is used very less i will say rarely. For the price i will 18-55 is great lens, specially for beginner.

PS: did't replied you 2nd pm, completely forgot about it. If you coming to chennai or anyone else i can give you the address of the shop you can go and buy. owner is a great guy. hes is doing business on bazzi/ebay for past 10 year or so.

@everyone
I am thinking of getting a canon 100mm F2.8 macro lens. its around 33-35k. The L series of same lens is almost double the price. Is it worth spending double for a L series lens ??

Last edited by Rahulkool : 6th July 2010 at 01:06.
Old 6th July 2010, 01:23   #4424
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Rahul,

I saw that add on ebay and then posted here. I never dealt on ebay so dont know how is it going to be, as you said its going to be a good buy now, I shall talk to the guy and find out how can I buy on ebay.
How about the warranty! is he giving mfg warranty for 1/2 years?
Thanks for responding
Old 6th July 2010, 01:31   #4425
Senior - BHPian

^^ its not manufacturer warranty but the shop owner provides the warranty if anything goes wrong. IIRC the manufacturer warranty price was 68k with 18-55.

Even i was not very comfortable ordering on ebay so got his no from website and bought on the shop. Altho its more like godown than shop because they don't sell much cameras over the counter. He told me on ebay he sells around 30-35 cameras daily.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks