Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2010, 16:58   #4396
BHPian

Received a mail from ebay about DSLRs with twin lens options. Anyone who plans to buy it, just be aware of the lenses that you are getting. The sigma lenses listed there are sigma 70-300 DG and not 70-300 APO DG. The IQ of APO DG is supposed to be much better than the other one.
Old 1st July 2010, 19:15   #4397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Yep, I have tried it as well. Some of my photographs on the non-auto image thread were taken with a Canon FD 50mm f/3.5 with a glass based adapter on my 350D . And I have been able to make some good images with that combo.

Once you start shooting macros, the line between AF and MF disappears. Now, I can comfortably move to MF when I want to without thinking that I'll get an OOF picture. And the best part about MF is that you get to choose how you want to include the focal plane in the photograph. MFD is one thing that I look for when buying any lens.

OT: Didn't know you were Bibudesh, the data modeler . Remember this other data modeler?
OT again: Such a small round world buddy. Lets meetup sometimes. Shaju are u there? How about a casual photowalk?

While shooting macros with a looong barrel like that of a tamron 90mm, I dont think u can ever use a AF. The barrel extension while focussing can or will hit the subject LOL!..

And with a 3 point AF in D40 , focus stacking is impossible with AF (I dont think its possible even using my latest 51 point AF in D300, never tried though).

Why are we discussing this BTW???
Old 1st July 2010, 19:20   #4398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
....Why are we discussing this BTW???
I thought it relates to DSLRs and this thread is for discussing DSLRs!!
Old 2nd July 2010, 21:59   #4399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
..Shaju are u there? How about a casual photowalk? While shooting macros with a looong barrel like that of a tamron 90mm, I dont think u can ever use a AF. The barrel extension while focussing can or will hit the subject LOL!..
Yes I am very much here, but I dont prefer a casual walk, lets make it a serious walk, next weekend ?

What you said about the tamron 90mm is very true, its almost a waste of battery power to autofocus with this lens. I find it moving full IN and full OUT each time I press the shutter release button. That will also cause a delay of 2 or 3 seconds stopping the possibility of shooting something in movement. Macro of 1:1 always goes upto 2 or 3 inches from the subject, which makes it tough to shoot certain bugs that will just fly away due to the proximity. I think its because of the empty barrel that is 1.5 inches from the glass to the tip. I dont dare to put the hood on it which comes in the pack, which will defenitely touch and scare the poor bug that you are shooting. So in effect, 1:1 is never possible with the hood on. But I love this lens, its very sharp and worth every penny.

Last edited by shajufx : 2nd July 2010 at 22:01.
Old 3rd July 2010, 10:31   #4400
Senior - BHPian

My 18-55is has stopped AF. Other lenses work.

If I turn off AF, manually extend it to 55, then switch to AF it will re-focus once but thats it.

Who in BLR will check it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 3rd July 2010, 11:13   #4401
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
My 18-55is has stopped AF. Other lenses work.

If I turn off AF, manually extend it to 55, then switch to AF it will re-focus once but thats it.

Who in BLR will check it?

Thanks in advance.
Detach the lens, clean the connectors and try again.
Old 3rd July 2010, 17:22   #4402
BHPian

Finally I have decided to buy a DSLR instead of a Point & Shoo Camera. I found Cannon 1000D and Nikon D3000 to be within my budget, but am not sure which one is better.
Can somebody help me in deciding?
Old 4th July 2010, 02:03   #4403
Senior - BHPian

@Abeer, the Cannon / Nikon question has been answered several times in several contexts by several people in this thread, you may want to spend some time looking back, if only to understand all that has been told

The bottom line - a Cannon-mount lens wont fit a Nikon, and vice versa. You can keep upgrading the body and use the same lenses, but you cannot cross-upgrade.

I have seen and heard Nikons perform pretty well in low light / high ISO conditions. I have Canon body because I am oh-so-used to Canons, and their advantages are already spoken about (so have the advantages of Nikon - what I have said here is the one positive I think Nikon has over my Canon 500D)
Old 4th July 2010, 10:42   #4404
BHPian

I understand that the lens of Canon will not fit in Nikon and vice versa.
I will try to read thru the 295 pages of this thread to get the answer to my question.
Old 4th July 2010, 11:34   #4405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer View Post
I will try to read thru the 295 pages of this thread to get the answer to my question.
I faced the same problem. Going through the 295 pages. The thread began on 24 March 2006. Many of the products now might be outdated. My suggestions that if you start reading from pp200 onwards you will still get all the information you need.
Old 4th July 2010, 12:50   #4406
Senior - BHPian

Both the 1000d and d3000 are good in their own way. I'd say try and get a feel of both (in your hands) and go for the one which you like. Also, you may look at the brand which is common in your friend circle. That way you get access to a variety of lenses when you go for trips together.
Old 4th July 2010, 19:16   #4407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally I have decided to buy a DSLR instead of a Point & Shoo Camera.
Sorry can not help this one . Looks like selection of a dog.

Anyways whats your budget can you specify? What are your needs of shooting etc? IMO with Canon1000D you can compare Nikon 5000.
Old 4th July 2010, 21:34   #4408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Boy, you do have a sense for sarcasm
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
I faced the same problem. Going through the 295 pages. The thread began on 24 March 2006. Many of the products now might be outdated. My suggestions that if you start reading from pp200 onwards you will still get all the information you need.
When I bought my camera, I went through this thread - starting from latest page (then) and backwards.

@Abeer - my suggestion to look back is not because I want you to work your way out with 295 pages, but there is a whole lot of wisdom in here that may not come out as a reply to your post. And, believe me, the gurus will feel tired answering similar questions so many times, its up to us to flip back and seek what we want.

If you have anything in mind, try dpreview.com too (if you already have not, that is).
Old 4th July 2010, 23:03   #4409
BHPian

Hey guys.Just bought Nikon d3000 .Im very excited as this is my first D-SLR.Cant wait to check out the features.
Old 4th July 2010, 23:39   #4410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punterccrx8s View Post
Hey guys.Just bought Nikon d3000 .Im very excited as this is my first D-SLR.Cant wait to check out the features.
congrats! happy shooting.

what was the dent? will you be using the stock lens?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks