Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2010, 15:34   #5116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Those lines could create another debate
Let me explain to the best I can: A normal lens focuses very quick and gives the ready beep, so you can shoot in fraction of a second. A VR/OS/VC (I havent used a canon IS, so no clue about it) is a different function in the lens, which tries to stablise the lens from any movement detected. Many times I have felt my 70-300 VRII took more time to get that beep because the VR motor was trying to correct the movement longer than the usual. I agree it gives a few stops advantage but there is a compromise on delay.
Are you sure about this? AFAIK Image Stabilization mechanism keeps on running while you are taking the shot to compensate for the movement that can happen. How does this affect the focusing mechanism is something I'm unable to comprehend. Aren't these two are different mechanisms? Yes they both will use same power source and there might be a very minuscule diff due to that(even that I doubt) but I don't think that would be visible to us at all. I'm sure that I've never observed any kind of lag on focusing with my lenses with IS on. Infact I keep the IS on almost all the time. Anyway, my experience is only with 2 of my lenses so can't tell about other lenses, specially the consumer level ones which might have different construction/mechanism to save cost.

Just to add a few lines about the ergonomics issue with Canons, it's the lower end canon bodies(XXXD series) which are very small and doesn't fit properly. But the XXD series or higher are as good as the Nikons in ergonomics front. I respect Nikon and Canon both as camera manufactures and there is no clear winner. Just pick up one system and start shooting. But found Canon to be slightly more economical in terms of lenses. Other than that not much difference I believe. But again others may have different opinions on it.

Last edited by kaushik_s : 28th September 2010 at 15:49.
Old 28th September 2010, 15:57   #5117
Team-BHP Support

Actually when there is significant shake, focusing is better with an IS lens where continuous compensation for shake is happening.
Due to camera shake, the object under the chosen focus point may keep moving.
This can introduce focus errors as due to shake the area where focus point is focussing may be mobile.
In bright conditions focus happens very quick, so its not an issue, in low light conditions where AF may take 2-3 seconds, IS will improve focus accuracy as well as speed.
Old 28th September 2010, 16:01   #5118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
How exactly canon is lower priced ?

You need to compare Canon 70-300 IS USM with Sigma 70-300 OS DG and Sigma comes out cheaper as always.

Canon 55-250 IS Optics may not be necessarily better , people compare it usually with Sigma 70-300 APO DG but convinently forget that IS gives advantage of approx 3 stops.
Canon is lower because the said lens by virtue of it being 10 months old is being sold for 8K. It is definitely cheaper than the Sigma 70-300 DG OS which should be in the range of about 15k at the very least.

I think thinking a few things, I'm veering towards Sigma 70-300 DG Macro (Non OS) as DG OS is not available anywhere in Hyderabad or online in India.

What do the guru's think?

BTW is it possible to introduce these effects in the camera itself something like what I do for Monochrome by changing the picture style

Attachment 431336

Last edited by MileCruncher : 28th September 2010 at 16:06.
Old 28th September 2010, 16:15   #5119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Canon is lower because the said lens by virtue of it being 10 months old is being sold for 8K. It is definitely cheaper than the Sigma 70-300 DG OS which should be in the range of about 15k at the very least.
Hey even for 10 months old please check it must be Canon 55-250 IS and not 70-300 IS which is costly. So if you compare for same focal length and same feature Sigma always work outs to be cheaper and that is their USP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I think thinking a few things, I'm veering towards Sigma 70-300 DG Macro (Non OS) as DG OS is not available anywhere in Hyderabad or online in India.
That's what I wrote earlier availability is the question.

If you are looking for Sigma non-stabilized then look for APO DG and not DG. There is marked difference in image quality you can see comparison on the net.

For selective coloring you need to do it in Post processing that is in GIMP / PS or using something else. I do not think any Camera gives an incamera selective coloring option.

However some P&S cameras and mobile phones allow in camera photo editing.

There is an app on Samsung Jet series phones which has selective desaturated , Same app is ported on Bada platform and you can use it on Wave device form the Samsung App store.
I am sure there must be few for Android as well.

Last edited by amitk26 : 28th September 2010 at 16:20.
Old 28th September 2010, 16:36   #5120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I too do not find IS making difference in terms of AF speed on Canon 18-55 IS kit lens. May be at longer focal length such as 300 mm there is some difference.Without IS as well focus hunt happens in most of the 300mm lens at long end.
IS on a 18-55, I dont really know how its helpful because anything lower than 70mm, its a luxury feature, may not be a practical advantage. My posts are mainly based on the usage of Nikon 70-300 VRII and I could never press fully until the VR stopped its work. There is no hunting of focus even at 300mm, but the VR delayed things. Either I had a faulty lens (chances are less because its sold to a Pro shooter after enough testing) or I missed understanding the function of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Are you sure about this? AFAIK Image Stabilization mechanism keeps on running while you are taking the shot to compensate for the movement that can happen. How does this affect the focusing mechanism is something I'm unable to comprehend. Aren't these two are different mechanisms?
Yes IS/VR and focus lock are two different things. Focus lock happens very quick but the IS/VR takes its own time depending on the movement of the camera. If I tell my 400mm f/5.6 (attained by 2x teleconverter on a 200mm f/2.8 non-OS sigma) shoots faster than my old 70-300 VRII, its not an exaggeration. I was amazed at its focus locking speed even on a fast flying bird. It was confirmed by a canon friend who was planning to pick up a 100-400 IS lens. Remember canon is 3 times the cost !! And I really doubt if canon counterpart can show a better quality unless its a test in very low light. Open to correction.
Old 28th September 2010, 16:49   #5121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IS on a 18-55, I dont really know how its helpful because anything lower than 70mm, its a luxury feature, may not be a practical advantage. .
Switch off IS on 18-55 and check there is a marked difference in sharpness in low light.
For low light you need slower shutter if lens is not fast and IS makes a lot of difference here.
So instead of spending much more on a F2.8 lens an IS in 18-55 gives similar results to certain extent.

Last edited by amitk26 : 28th September 2010 at 16:57.
Old 28th September 2010, 16:51   #5122
Senior - BHPian

I will have to borrow someone's lens to check that
My present bag has only 18-50 f/2.8, 35mm f/1.8 and 70-200 f/2.8, none of them have OS/VR.
I had 18-55 VR, 55-200 VR and 70-300 VR, dont remember much of a difference, although company advertisements of VR function shows a totally blurred image without VR and a crystal clear and sharp image with VR ! And yes, I believe the non-VR images were taken by photographers who were dancing.

Last edited by shajufx : 28th September 2010 at 16:59.
Old 28th September 2010, 16:55   #5123
BHPian

Guys, I own a Sony DSC H50. It performs brilliantly but the battery backup isn't very good. Any better battery available?
Old 28th September 2010, 17:04   #5124
BHPian

+1 on that, before VR too, people did click fantastic images,
I chose D90 with inbuilt focus motor, the more money spent on D90 is the one that I would be saving buying some good Nikkor non-VR lens like the 70-300 (some future savings spent in present..he he), and mind it VR lens are waaaay expensive with their non-VR siblings, everything same just the user end up paying more than 2 times for just VR
Quote:
.... I believe the non-VR images were taken by photographers who were dancing.
Old 28th September 2010, 17:17   #5125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes IS/VR and focus lock are two different things. Focus lock happens very quick but the IS/VR takes its own time depending on the movement of the camera. If I tell my 400mm f/5.6 (attained by 2x teleconverter on a 200mm f/2.8 non-OS sigma) shoots faster than my old 70-300 VRII, its not an exaggeration. I was amazed at its focus locking speed even on a fast flying bird. It was confirmed by a canon friend who was planning to pick up a 100-400 IS lens. Remember canon is 3 times the cost !! And I really doubt if canon counterpart can show a better quality unless its a test in very low light. Open to correction.
Now you are comparing two very different different lenses with different focusing motors and have different lens elements. 70-300 will take more time to focus than a 70-200 f2.8 almost any day. But have you tried to stop the VR and see how much time it takes for the 70-300mm? Is it significantly different? If it is than there might be something wrong with the lens itself or it might be that lens's behavior. As I said before I've not seen any difference in focusing with the IS on or off in my lenses. And as Tanvir said on the contrary IS might help in achieving the focus faster in a low light situation.
And the focusing speed of 100-400 IS would be/is anyday faster than an 70-200mm 2.8 + 2x TC combo. Tried, tested and than I've sold the TC . Also image quality is not something usable from the combo unless the f-stop is somewhere around f11 and then that again nullifies the whole point of it.

Last edited by kaushik_s : 28th September 2010 at 17:18.
Old 28th September 2010, 17:45   #5126
Senior - BHPian

Agreed everything said, I am open to correction on whatever points discussed, because mine could be either an isolated experience or a faulty lens in play. But one thing what I said earlier stands unchanged however we think about it, that is;

There is nothing impossible with a non-VR lens.
There are many ways to compensate the VR function on a non-VR lens.
How many primes have got VR function ?
Is it really worth double the money you are paying for it ?

Think about it or cross check other weblinks on the same. End of the day its not the advanced technology thats going to produce a stunning image, but the man behind it. Thats my little bit of learning so far.
Old 28th September 2010, 18:02   #5127
Senior - BHPian

Very true, a lens not having VR/IS doesn't/never limit a photographer. There are other ways like bracing yourself to a wall/post or bracing the camera itself, use a support if tripod not available(I use my car a lot). Never debated about those possibilities, all I was trying to comment was about the VR/IS affecting focusing performance. But having said that I would prefer to have IS in my lenses (mostly for the Tele ends) as they do help in many sticky situations and I've actually got some quite very usable shots due to the IS.
About the primes, almost all of the Canon Telephoto Primes (barring 400mm f5.6) comes with IS I think.
Old 29th September 2010, 09:23   #5128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
where to find a Nikon D3100 with B&W for the lowest price in Bangalore?
Didn't get any response hence posting again. Anyone knows anyplace where I can find a Nikon D3100 with B&W in Bangalore with competitive pricing. Currently it is being retailed in US at 699 USD.
Old 29th September 2010, 09:36   #5129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Didn't get any response hence posting again. Anyone knows anyplace where I can find a Nikon D3100 with B&W in Bangalore with competitive pricing. Currently it is being retailed in US at 699 USD.
I enquired with couple of dealers, they were not having ready stock. As per them, it would retail around INR 45K. You may have to wait for sometime till it gets common in Indian market. USD 699 seems to be a good deal!
Old 29th September 2010, 11:14   #5130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
I enquired with couple of dealers, they were not having ready stock. As per them, it would retail around INR 45K. You may have to wait for sometime till it gets common in Indian market. USD 699 seems to be a good deal!
Quote:
I'd recommend buying a DSLR in India as warranties are country specific for DSLRs. This is for Nikon only and not applicable to their lenses, flashes and most accessories.

What you make up in purchase price you lose in warranty coverage. It's a choice you need to make.

Last edited by R2D2 : 29th September 2010 at 11:15.

Most Viewed