Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2010, 11:44   #5101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Also which one do you think would be a better buy, Sigma 70-300 OS or Canon 55-250 IS
Sigma 70 -300 OS? Whats the price?

If its 70-300 APO DG, choose the 55-250 IS. Its fantastic value for the price, and i believe its much sharper than 70-300 APP DG!

You might want to check out these threads-

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...59569&page=195
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...266596&page=63

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 27th September 2010 at 11:47.
Old 27th September 2010, 12:25   #5102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...It close to impossible to shoot sharp images in night without OS/VR/IS with 1/125 or lower shutter speeds.
I have a huge folder of night shots, 90% of them are very sharp and clear. And I dont have a single lens with VR/OS/VC functions right now. I agree it might be different when you are shooting an action or sports. So basically it depends on what you actually want to shoot.

I had a 70-300 VRII until a month back, I always felt a fast shot was not possible as the VR function takes its own time to stablise and give a steady beep. You can actually feel the 'vrrrr' sound when the VR is working. So, practically I had to switch off the VR whenever I wanted to shoot a flying bird. This is one reason I opted my 70-200 without OS when the OS version was already available for higher price. It might be different with others, so more opinions could give a better view.
Old 27th September 2010, 12:39   #5103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It close to impossible to shoot sharp images in night without OS/VR/IS with 1/125 or lower shutter speeds.
How about using tripod for night shots
Old 28th September 2010, 09:38   #5104
Senior - BHPian

where to find a Nikon D3100 with B&W for the lowest price in Bangalore?
Old 28th September 2010, 11:02   #5105
Senior - BHPian

Lens hoods to give away

Hi,

As I wrote earlier I got EW-83C and ET-78E lens hoods with me.

I got them by mistake instead of the item I ordered online. Shipping them back to seller will be a costly proposition for me.

So if anyone needs them feel free to PM me. These hoods will fit on following lenses.

1. ET-78E : Canon EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
2. EW-83C : Canon 100-400 L lens

PS : Not posted in classifieds as this is not a sale item but just a token thanks gesture to the people from whom i learned so much about photography on this thread.
Old 28th September 2010, 11:06   #5106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Sigma 70 -300 OS? Whats the price?

If its 70-300 APO DG, choose the 55-250 IS. Its fantastic value for the price, and i believe its much sharper than 70-300 APP DG!

You might want to check out these threads-

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS - Nifty Two-Fifty - Page 195 - Canon Digital Photography Forums
Sigma APO 70-300mm F/4-5.6 DG MACRO - Page 63 - Canon Digital Photography Forums
Nope its not 70-300 APO DG. APO DG is a apochromat lens which reduces chromatic aberration. Sigma has launched 70-300 MM DG OS Sigma releases 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I have a huge folder of night shots, 90% of them are very sharp and clear. And I dont have a single lens with VR/OS/VC functions right now. I agree it might be different when you are shooting an action or sports. So basically it depends on what you actually want to shoot.

I had a 70-300 VRII until a month back, I always felt a fast shot was not possible as the VR function takes its own time to stablise and give a steady beep. You can actually feel the 'vrrrr' sound when the VR is working. So, practically I had to switch off the VR whenever I wanted to shoot a flying bird. This is one reason I opted my 70-200 without OS when the OS version was already available for higher price. It might be different with others, so more opinions could give a better view.
So what you are essentially saying is that by the time OS/VR/VC/IS comes into play, the subject like bird etc., would have already flown away

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
How about using tripod for night shots
Saar, its not possible to use tripod all the time

Btw how do you get effect like this with processing especially the blue in a monochrome picture
The DSLR Thread-34188_413511943356_721723356_4391368_6785426_n.jpg
Old 28th September 2010, 11:13   #5107
BHPian

Hi Amit,

sent you a PM if you could gift me the 78E hood

please reply

Raj

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Hi,

As I wrote earlier I got EW-83C and ET-78E lens hoods with me.

1. ET-78E : Canon EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
PS : Not posted in classifieds as this is not a sale item but just a token thanks gesture to the people from whom i learned so much about photography on this thread.
Old 28th September 2010, 11:20   #5108
BHPian

Quote:
Nope its not 70-300 APO DG. APO DG is a apochromat lens which reduces chromatic aberration. Sigma has launched 70-300 MM DG OS Sigma releases 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG OS

So what you are essentially saying is that by the time OS/VR/VC/IS comes into play, the subject like bird etc., would have already flown away

Btw how do you get effect like this with processing especially the blue in a monochrome picture
Attachment 431336
COlour isolate in any image editing program, you desaturate all channels except the one you want.
Old 28th September 2010, 11:21   #5109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Generally Amazon price is a good indicator for grey market price in india it is going for 355.95 ~ 400$ from various sellers. So lowest is 17.5K , I think a ballpark figure would be approx 20 ~ 22 K in India if available but availability is a big question.

The optics for this lens are similar to 70-300 APO DG but it has Sigma 3 way Optical stabilization which should give you advantage of 3-4 stops.

My observation is that IS/OS/VC/VR lenses are approximately double the cost of their non stabilized cousins. There may be certain exceptions here.

Quote:

I would not agree to the point that OS/VR/VC/IS is totally useless. But you need to check the price point versus the utility.

Yes it is not possible to use tripod every time and that is why stablization is needed.

People generate sharper pictures with Canon 55-250 IS then Sigma 70-300 APO DG for example but if you know the key technique to keep the high shutter speed and stablize your arms and breath you can very much use extra 50mm of Sigma lens.

So in case you want 50mm extra and also willing to spend little over Canon 50-250 IS then Sigma 70-300 DG OS is good choice. It is much cheaper then Canon 70-300 IS USM.

Quote:
Selective desaturated in GIMP / Photoshop

Here is a GIMP tutorial to do this

Selective Desaturation in GIMP Sophisticated & Coarse | Notes & Thoughts
Old 28th September 2010, 11:22   #5110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
This is the main reason which pulled me towards EPL1 when i was eyeing a high end P&S. I don't regret the decision one bit. The larger sensor should help in low light compared to even the high end P&S.

Plus people won't have huge expectations from me & my cam when i pull out my tiny little P&S look alike DSLR and they don't mind even if i don't take crappy shots

Plus I like the look on their face when i say its a DSLR not a P&S

Only trouble i have now with the EPL1 is that the screen is a tad small, it would've been better if it had the EP-2's screen. The EVF accessory would be huge a boon, but its a bit expensive.
Congrats Sankar on your EpL1. I am also narrowed down to Olympus EP-L1 as the up-gradation of my P&S. I think now you have got enough time to play with it. Can you please post the initial impression of it, especially I want to know how is the focusing in low light conditions and about the manual focusing and the shot to shot timings (Real world).

Thanks
S-G
Old 28th September 2010, 14:29   #5111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Those lines could create another debate
Let me explain to the best I can: A normal lens focuses very quick and gives the ready beep, so you can shoot in fraction of a second. A VR/OS/VC (I havent used a canon IS, so no clue about it) is a different function in the lens, which tries to stablise the lens from any movement detected. Many times I have felt my 70-300 VRII took more time to get that beep because the VR motor was trying to correct the movement longer than the usual. I agree it gives a few stops advantage but there is a compromise on delay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I would not agree to the point that OS/VR/VC/IS is totally useless. But you need to check the price point versus the utility.
I wouldn't say its useless, because its a different technology and you are paying almost double the price for that function. So there should be something good about it. My personal view was: its not worth that added cost as we have many other alternatives to reach the same result (ISO, Aperture, Exposure adjustments).
Old 28th September 2010, 15:02   #5112
Team-BHP Support

The IS gives me 2 extra F-stops without compromising on Aperture/Speed/ISO. So I'll take it. The AF on E3+12-60mm is incredibly fast, Olympus claimed it was the fastest AF in 2008, it feels like one. So I have no complaints on that aspect too.
Old 28th September 2010, 15:17   #5113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The IS gives me 2 extra F-stops without compromising on Aperture/Speed/ISO. So I'll take it. The AF on E3+12-60mm is incredibly fast, Olympus claimed it was the fastest AF in 2008, it feels like one. So I have no complaints on that aspect too.
I too do not find IS making difference in terms of AF speed on Canon 18-55 IS kit lens.
May be at longer focal length such as 300 mm there is some difference.Without IS as well focus hunt happens in most of the 300mm lens at long end.

Last edited by amitk26 : 28th September 2010 at 15:22.
Old 28th September 2010, 15:18   #5114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Its going to be a tough decision. Better optics + lower price (Canon) v/s 50mm extra reach (Sigma).

And thanks for the link. Ran into another article featuring TGs works, on the same site-
Automotive wonders: A photo feature

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 28th September 2010 at 15:21.
Old 28th September 2010, 15:27   #5115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Its going to be a tough decision. Better optics + lower price (Canon) v/s 50mm extra reach (Sigma).

And thanks for the link. Ran into another article featuring TGs works, on the same site-
Automotive wonders: A photo feature
How exactly canon is lower priced ?

You need to compare Canon 70-300 IS USM with Sigma 70-300 OS DG and Sigma comes out cheaper as always.

Canon 55-250 IS Optics may not be necessarily better , people compare it usually with Sigma 70-300 APO DG but convinently forget that IS gives advantage of approx 3 stops.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks