Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2011, 11:38   #6616
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Need some help, folks.

I am looking to buy the Canon 50mm f1.8 prime, but having difficulty on testing the lens before picking it up. When I tested one at Sheetala Cameras, EA, chennai; I found prominent CA with flash at f8. I am not sure how I can test sharpness on the camera LCD!

Pointers on how to buy will be helpful, btw I use 450D.

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 28th February 2011 at 11:39.
Old 28th February 2011, 12:06   #6617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Maybe changing the mode to RAW will produce different results. Let me try it out. I will put up the pics captured in RAW mode.
Just to tell you that changing JPEG mode to RAW alone will not bring any difference to the pictures - Difference comes when you process a RAW yourself and not let the camera process the RAW to make the Jpeg. The unprocessed RAW can even look less impressive than the camera produced JPEG because the Jpegs are processed (in-camera image processor) from the RAW, applying the creative settings you have set in the camera - sometimes images get more sharpness, color, contrast etc compared to the original RAW image.

Last edited by clevermax : 28th February 2011 at 12:08.
Old 28th February 2011, 12:27   #6618
BHPian

Re: Sony goes the translucent way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Basically a pellicle mirror allows 2/3rd of the light to reach film plane.
@Rudra Sen and clevermax

DSLT's would have the fps advantage over conventional mirror DSLR, but wouldn't they have an exposure disadvantage since only 2/3rds of the light reaches the sensor? Am I correct in assuming that if you use a similar lens (say f1.8) on a DSLT and a conventional DSLR, for proper exposure you would need to expose longer (by 33% say?) on the DSLT as compared to a DSLR. This would be a -ve in low light situations?
Old 28th February 2011, 13:23   #6619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Need some help, folks.

I am looking to buy the Canon 50mm f1.8 prime, but having difficulty on testing the lens before picking it up. When I tested one at Sheetala Cameras, EA, chennai; I found prominent CA with flash at f8. I am not sure how I can test sharpness on the camera LCD!

Pointers on how to buy will be helpful, btw I use 450D.
Where are you located, Bangalore or Chennai? In Bangalore, you can walk into the Canon image lounge near Richmond Road and check out any lens. I suppose, if you carry your laptop, they'd allow you to transfer the images to it and review the sharpness etc.
Old 28th February 2011, 13:52   #6620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Where are you located, Bangalore or Chennai? In Bangalore, you can walk into the Canon image lounge near Richmond Road and check out any lens. I suppose, if you carry your laptop, they'd allow you to transfer the images to it and review the sharpness etc.
Do they!?
I am currently in Chennai, and will be back in Bangalore in a weeks time; will checkout then.
Old 28th February 2011, 14:11   #6621
Senior - BHPian

I guess you are worrying too much about this lens. The 50mm is a "Just go and buy" lens.

A new copy of this lens will definitely function as expected.

If otherwise you can still use the warrantly and get it replaced. This is one lens i wouldnt spend so much time checking for sharpness and other defects. If its a new lens(un-opened) go ahead and get it. 99.9% of the time the lens will be perfect.
Old 28th February 2011, 14:19   #6622
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sony goes the translucent way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudhrysan View Post
@Rudra Sen and clevermax
DSLT's would have the fps advantage over conventional mirror DSLR, but wouldn't they have an exposure disadvantage since only 2/3rds of the light reaches the sensor? Am I correct in assuming that if you use a similar lens (say f1.8) on a DSLT and a conventional DSLR, for proper exposure you would need to expose longer (by 33% say?) on the DSLT as compared to a DSLR. This would be a -ve in low light situations?
Yes, this is a clear disadvantage of DSLT cameras. Approximately 1/3 EV doesn't reach the sensor.

With the ability to change the ISO for each click (in the digital world), coupled with the high ISO performance of these Sony DSLTs almost nullify that disadvantage. With more advancement in low light image sensing, this will cease to be a disadvantage IMO.

On the other hand, the older translucent camera (Pellix) had this disadvantage more pronounced because it had to use films and you can't have the sensitivity for one shot changed individually.

Another disadvantage is the EVF. It is always good to have an option of optical view finder. May be as technology progresses, we will have an optical view finder that is electronically 'assisted' for better viewing, who knows!

Last edited by clevermax : 28th February 2011 at 14:20.
Old 28th February 2011, 23:18   #6623
BHPian

Iam on the lookout for a convertor to use my old canon fd lenses on the eos body. Does anyone know where I can get this from in india?

Also please suggest on a nice convertor. I found this on ebay: eBay India: CANON EOS BODY TO FD LENS CONVERTER ADAPTER alluminum (item 220734149092 end time 05-Mar-2011 15:05:02 IST)

Will this work?
Old 1st March 2011, 00:55   #6624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
As the magnification increases the working distance reduces keeping focal length same. In case of stacked lenses the working distance is extremely less.
So keep the front of the apparatus with in 2-3 inch of subject and move back and front to acheive the focus. If you want to increase working distance reduce the focal length of lens attached to Camera.

Will post a couple of images tonight for you.
Here are sample pics

1. Tip of a Reynolds ball pen.

Handheld with pop-up flash ,You need a proper off camera flash to reduce vignetting
The DSLR Thread-img_3660web.jpg
2. RBI emblem on 1000 Rs note.

Look at the stripes normally not seen with eye. DOF is extremely shallow here.
The DSLR Thread-img_3119web.jpg
Old 1st March 2011, 09:43   #6625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post

Also please suggest on a nice convertor. I found this on ebay: eBay India: CANON EOS BODY TO FD LENS CONVERTER ADAPTER alluminum (item 220734149092 end time 05-Mar-2011 15:05:02 IST)

Will this work?
The description given in that page says it all:
Quote:
Product Description
With this adapter any Camon FD lens can be mounted on BODY Canon EOS .
But it will work manualy, not auto when using this adapter.
This adapter does not have any electronic contact and lens.
Infinity cannot be focused with this adapter.
Also focus range will change.
While the second issue is not a big thing unless you want to do zone focusing, which I would want to apart from the manual focusing via the prism!!

There have been adapters which facilitated mounting the FD lenses onto EOS mounts with an optical element in the adapter. I am not sure but you shall loose a stop. Since you already have FD lenses(I suppose some of them are primes!!), you can try out those lenses with good quality adapter.
Old 1st March 2011, 12:43   #6626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Here are sample pics
1. Tip of a Reynolds ball pen.
Handheld with pop-up flash ,You need a proper off camera flash to reduce vignetting
Attachment 509226
2. RBI emblem on 1000 Rs note.
Look at the stripes normally not seen with eye. DOF is extremely shallow here.
Attachment 509227
One more sample from my side - guess what exactly is this
The DSLR Thread-dsc9876.jpg
Extremely shallow DOF regretted
Old 1st March 2011, 13:00   #6627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
One more sample from my side - guess what exactly is this
It is mustard seeds!
Old 1st March 2011, 14:13   #6628
Senior - BHPian

yes clevermax, what i mean is better zoom with more of wide angle lens then current setup.Closeups are superb but then distance are not covered so well with current ones.Which ones do you recommend?
Old 1st March 2011, 22:58   #6629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Difference comes when you process a RAW yourself and not let the camera process the RAW to make the Jpeg. The unprocessed RAW can even look less impressive than the camera produced JPEG because the Jpegs are processed (in-camera image processor) from the RAW, applying the creative settings you have set in the camera - sometimes images get more sharpness, color, contrast etc compared to the original RAW image.
Thanks! I will try it out (processing the raw image on the PC) and let you know difference
Old 2nd March 2011, 07:30   #6630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yes clevermax, what i mean is better zoom with more of wide angle lens then current setup.Closeups are superb but then distance are not covered so well with current ones.Which ones do you recommend?
You are almost looking at a Point and shoot which will probably yield better results than getting a one shot wide angle to zoom.

you are left with very little choices like the 18-200 lens.

You should look at two lenses to cover the distance you want to. Say a 16-50 Tokina and a 50-500 Bigma. This lets you cover from 16mm to 500mm in two lenses.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks