Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2011, 22:53   #7366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1
that means you won't be able to use auto-focus if the lens aperture is less than f/5.6 - usually a problem with variable zoom lens (non canon) - which at higher focal length offer lesser aperture
Sorry but didn't get your point exactly. Can you elaborate on this a little more?
Old 12th May 2011, 23:02   #7367
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
that means you won't be able to use auto-focus if the lens aperture is less than f/5.6 - usually a problem with variable zoom lens (non canon) - which at higher focal length offer lesser aperture
in simpler words, the 1000D has crap focusing. Which is why the likes of D7000/D300 or 7D have so many cross sensor points which are f/2.8 and get the kind of pics they do!
Old 12th May 2011, 23:19   #7368
BHPian

I am in USA and was looking out for an entry level DSLR camera. I am considering the Nikon 3100D or Canon 550D. Any comments on which one is better.
Also I compared the prices between India and USA and found that camera's in India are more cheaper than USA, correct me if I am wrong and you also get the India warranty when you buy in India.
Any thoughts???

Thanks in Advance........
Old 12th May 2011, 23:50   #7369
BHPian

@Swapnil :

550D if interested in video and/or if you intend to post-process images with cropping where the 550D's extra megapixels are handy. The 550D as such is a little more advanced entry level cam, whose direct Nikon rival is the D5000 and now D5100. The D3100 competes with the Canon 1100D. The D3100 has lower noise levels than the 550D/600D, hence better overall image quality. Try the cameras in a store too feel if either feels better in the hand, in terms of grip and access to controls.

Account for lenses as well - Canon lenses at consumer grades are usually cheaper than Nikons.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 05:30   #7370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnil.rahate View Post
I am in USA and was looking out for an entry level DSLR camera. I am considering the Nikon 3100D or Canon 550D. Any comments on which one is better.
Also I compared the prices between India and USA and found that camera's in India are more cheaper than USA, correct me if I am wrong and you also get the India warranty when you buy in India.
Any thoughts???

Canon 550D if you are not Nikon fan reasons are aplenty alreay mentioned somewhere in this thread search them, Yes for entry level stuff buying in India makes more sense as volumes are more here and prices are low.

In US you should buy 3ed party flash , tripod , backpack and macro/telephoto/prime lenses and pro level bodies.
Old 13th May 2011, 10:57   #7371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Low light ISO score talks about noise levels at high ISO values, noise is grainy specks which may be of different color than the expected color in the photo. Cameras and post-processing software can reduce noise ( this is noise reduction ) but the effectiveness is variable, and it can reduce the detail level in the image. In DXO scores, higher is better.
ended.
Thanks Ricci, this is really helpful.
Much appreciated. I will be going to to Croma today to have a feel of 550D and 5100D.
I will be mostly buying my camera from townside.

Regards
Old 13th May 2011, 11:47   #7372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any thoughts???

I found that the Nikon 5100 to be cheaper or same in India, when you compare the Nikon India and US reseller prices (B&H, Adorama etc). I will always prefer to buy in India as you get warranty in India. Be aware that most of the warranties for goods sold in US are for US only and not honoured out side US.

Some Items are atrociously priced in India. For example the 600mm/F4 sells in US for around $10,300, while India prices are 6.3L ~ $14k, with 26% duty in India, you are still better off buying this from US
Old 13th May 2011, 14:16   #7373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Well one should not worry too much about this the fact is all the entry Canon except 1D Series have this kind of focus ( And I think Nikon entry level as well)

Modern AF lens have wide open aperture normally and aperture closes when you click the button, In manual lenses also same technique is employed which is called stop down metering.
So focussing is done at widest possible aperture and then once focus is locked aperture blade closes down just before shutter opens.

So You have limitation on only following scenarios for which you necessarily need 1D series body.

1. Using a Lens with smaller aperture less then 5.6 ( more F number).
All modern lenses have larger aperture anyway so not an issue.

2. Using a lens like Canon 400 F5.6 with a 1.4X TC to get 560mm this will give you Av = 8 and for AF on this combo you need 1D series body.
Or using 2X TC on 70-200 F4 L lens to get 140-400 F8 lens .

However such scenarios are rare and people use Tele-convertors on fast lens and not slow lens.
Amit there are few Sigma and Tamron lens that I have come across which offer less than f/5.6 at max zoom.
These can cause issue with auto focus.

Of course Canon doesn't produce any lens with lower than f/5.6 aperture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
Sorry but didn't get your point exactly. Can you elaborate on this a little more?
As I wrote above, and Amit elaborated.
You wouldn't need to worry actually about the auto focus part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
in simpler words, the 1000D has crap focusing. Which is why the likes of D7000/D300 or 7D have so many cross sensor points which are f/2.8 and get the kind of pics they do!
So many cross point sensors have their place mainly in moving subjects.
However, I believe most ppl shoot stationary (or nearly stationary) ones.
I don't think the difference in pix from 1000D vs 7D is because of focus.

It mainly about who is handling that cam.

Usually person who buys 1000D is one who is just starting out.
7D is by pros (or expert amateurs)
Old 13th May 2011, 14:41   #7374
BHPian

Quote:
Any thoughts???

The 550D is probably the only camera which is priced the same in India and US (Amazon). You could look at the 600D or T3i which is $899 but retails in the 45-50K range here. I think you can choose Int'l warranty.
Old 13th May 2011, 22:24   #7375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
The 550D is probably the only camera which is priced the same in India and US (Amazon). You could look at the 600D or T3i which is $899 but retails in the 45-50K range here. I think you can choose Int'l warranty.
Thanks for the advice........i am looking for an entry level SLR as this will be my 1st one and I am not so advanced user. So let me get hand of the entry level one's and then I can go for more advanced cameras.

I think we need to pay more for international warranty and the price may come to the same as that in india.

Last edited by swapnil.rahate : 13th May 2011 at 22:26. Reason: More comments added
Old 13th May 2011, 22:28   #7376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
well if the cross focus points in any of these are F2.8 they are going to be crappier. Actually Focus point sensitivity means minimal light required to detect focus so larger F number ( smaller aperture) is better.

Cross focus sensor means that focus sensor is sensitive to movement in both vertical and horizontal direction. Usually entry level cameras have single cross focus point at centre and multiple uni-direction focual points around example Nikon 3100 has single cross focus sensor and 9
surrounding it Nikon D5100 also has single coss focus sensor and 11 normal ones surrounding it.

More number of focus points mean better tracking of moving object example in panning. However light sensitivity is different issue. More number of cross focus sensors means even better tracking of moving object in both vertical and horizontal direction but it also means more money.

Last edited by amitk26 : 13th May 2011 at 22:31.
Old 13th May 2011, 22:30   #7377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnil.rahate

Thanks for the advice........i am looking for an entry level SLR as this will be my 1st one and I am not so advanced user. So let me get hand of the entry level one's and then I can go for more advanced cameras.

I think we need to pay more for international warranty and the price may come to the same as that in india.
If you are looking at entry level, then the 1000D or 1100D are probably your best options. The 1000D doesn't have video recording.
Old 13th May 2011, 22:30   #7378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Why pay twice ? Advanced Camera will not say don't use me even if you are beginner .
Old 13th May 2011, 23:14   #7379
BHPian

Got my 550D with kit lens, 4 GB card and bag from letsbuy.com for 30,285/- after applying ICICI coupon for 10% discount. There was a small delay in delivery for which they gave a Reebok watch free. Packaging is excellent. I Strongly recommend them for cameras. Just look for the proper discount coupon and expect some delay in their shipping. If you are lucky, you may get something free.
Old 13th May 2011, 23:34   #7380
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Why pay twice ? Advanced Camera will not say don't use me even if you are beginner .
Very true.
Most people buy the basic DSLR's with kit lens then soon they are searching for better options, ending up spending a lot more money in the long run. So if you are really serious about photography buy a mid-range body with a decent lens. If budget is a constraint, get a 50 f1.8 with the body to start with.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks