Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2011, 19:43   #7381
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Very true.
Most people buy the basic DSLR's with kit lens then soon they are searching for better options, ending up spending a lot more money in the long run. So if you are really serious about photography buy a mid-range body with a decent lens. If budget is a constraint, get a 50 f1.8 with the body to start with.
+1.
If budget permits, one should start with semi-pro SLRs such as 7D, D7000 or K-5 with a normal fast prime.

Last edited by C300 : 14th May 2011 at 19:48. Reason: correction
Old 14th May 2011, 22:06   #7382
EP.
BHPian

Sorry to interrupt your conversation guys, but I'm extremely excited about getting my camera and lens. The package arrived yesterday at the given address, I got it only today. Initial experience with the camera - can't really feel the difference between the PZD and the non-PZD one, may be its because I didn't use the non-PZD one extensively. Camera is a bit small, 60D felt better in hand. Video is fantastic, and still exploring with the camera. Thank you guys again for your support and advice. Thanks guys.

The DSLR Thread-image2493.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by EP. View Post
Thank you guys for your support and suggestions. I will get my hands on a new Canon 600D and a Tamron 18-270mm VC PZD lens soon. I am told that the equipment has been couriered from Mumbai. I brought it from JJ Metha and sons, they have reasonable prices on almost everything they sell. Waiting restlessly now.
Old 14th May 2011, 22:35   #7383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade View Post
Got my 550D with kit lens, 4 GB card and bag from letsbuy.com for 30,285/- after applying ICICI coupon for 10% discount. There was a small delay in delivery for which they gave a Reebok watch free. Packaging is excellent. I Strongly recommend them for cameras. Just look for the proper discount coupon and expect some delay in their shipping. If you are lucky, you may get something free.
Hey, You got awesome deal buddy. Where from you bought 550D. I am also scouting it but.. nowhere i am getting below 37k. Please help.
Old 14th May 2011, 23:43   #7384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If budget is a constraint, get a 50 f1.8 with the body to start with.
Why the 50 1.8 when the 18-55 IS costs almost the same? The prime would be very restrictive, especially for a beginner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EP. View Post
Sorry to interrupt your conversation guys, but I'm extremely excited about getting my camera and lens.
Attachment 544923
Congrats EP. How much did you pay for the lens?
Old 15th May 2011, 01:00   #7385
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Why the 50 1.8 when the 18-55 IS costs almost the same? The prime would be very restrictive, especially for a beginner.
Why a 50mm 1.8?

Its a great lens for learning composition (limits your options and makes you think..use your feet to zoom) and of course its terrific for experimenting with depth of field (you'll fall in love with the bokeh)

Zooms like the kit lens offer more versatility because you are combining many focal lengths in one lens! But they can really be quite skimpy on quality unless you get a pro zoom like a 70-200 2.8 II IS. A few months down the line you will feel like getting a faster, better zoom albeit the same focal range as the kit lens..say 17-55 2.8.

A 50 1.8 will be a part of your kit for a long time (50 1.4, 50 1.2 are available and though they cost many times more than the 50 1.8..they are not that many times sharper)

You will be surprised how much 2 stops can help in low light situations. Most kit lenses start at f/3.5 which can create issues when trying to capture photos in low light.

The optics of a 50mm lens are much better than a comparably priced zoom lens. The more moving parts there are to a lens the more expensive it is to make. Prime lenses have much fewer moving parts than zoom lenses so the lens manufacturers can use better optics and offer lower prices

Just my 2 cents, maybe the gurus can shed more light.
robimahanta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2011, 02:48   #7386
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar
Its a fast prime with excellent image quality. So owning this automatically makes u cool. This is an added bonus besides the fact that it takes excellent images. However if u want just one lens with your cam, 50mm will make u cooler, while an 18-55 will be more useful. So take ur pick!
Old 15th May 2011, 04:07   #7387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26

well if the cross focus points in any of these are F2.8 they are going to be crappier. Actually Focus point sensitivity means minimal light required to detect focus so larger F number ( smaller aperture) is better.

Cross focus sensor means that focus sensor is sensitive to movement in both vertical and horizontal direction. Usually entry level cameras have single cross focus point at centre and multiple uni-direction focual points around example Nikon 3100 has single cross focus sensor and 9
surrounding it Nikon D5100 also has single coss focus sensor and 11 normal ones surrounding it.

More number of focus points mean better tracking of moving object example in panning. However light sensitivity is different issue. More number of cross focus sensors means even better tracking of moving object in both vertical and horizontal direction but it also means more money.
Thanks amit. The picture is very clear now.

Is this same principle applicable for p&s cameras too?
Old 15th May 2011, 09:28   #7388
BHPian

Hi, I have a Sony A-200 with kit lens (3.5-5.6/18-70). This was gifted to me, so dont blame me for picking up this one . I'm very much hooked now with time being the only constraint.
Now I want to know how I can make the best use of my Sony A-200. Outdoor photography, portraits, baby shots (ofcourse movement involved) and low light snaps aswell. I have been experimenting with this cam+kit for more than a year now and felt the need to explore higher dimensions (have a look at the pics I have clicked http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ays-bliss.html) My budget for lens will be less than 25k for next one year atleast.
I'm also interested to know if there is any good website for learning photography in detail (If there is any other thread here in tbhp which'll help, pls let me know).

Rgds
VW
Old 15th May 2011, 10:17   #7389
EP.
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post

Congrats EP. How much did you pay for the lens?
The lens was 33k @ JJ Metha, Mumbai.
check out: jjmehta.com
Old 15th May 2011, 13:38   #7390
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

Check out the camera simulator. Helps clarify lots of concepts: SLR Camera Simulator | Simulates a digital SLR camera
Old 15th May 2011, 17:22   #7391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Hi, I have a Sony A-200 with kit lens (3.5-5.6/18-70). This was gifted to me, so dont blame me for picking up this one . ......
I'm also interested to know if there is any good website for learning photography in detail (If there is any other thread here in tbhp which'll help, pls let me know).

Rgds
VW
Sony DSLR is a good choice but unfortunately lacks the glamour of Canon/Nikon. After a lot of deliberation , I bought a Sony A500 and I am very happy with the purchase. So don't feel bad about the A200

The best part of a Sony DSLR is that you have the option of buying used Minolta lenses. All A mount lenses of Minolata / Konica can be used with Sony DSLRs. If you have a contact who can get the lens from US , try ebay.com and keh.com.

Look out for Beercan (70-210 F4) which may cost you between 50 to 100 USD and also a prime for the same price range.

I bought a 70 -210 Vivitar lens for just 20 USD and I am very happy with the lens
raju2512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2011, 17:36   #7392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why a 50mm 1.8?

Its a great lens for learning composition (limits your options and makes you think..use your feet to zoom) and of course its terrific for experimenting with depth of field (you'll fall in love with the bokeh)

Zooms like the kit lens offer more versatility because you are combining many focal lengths in one lens! But they can really be quite skimpy on quality unless you get a pro zoom like a 70-200 2.8 II IS. A few months down the line you will feel like getting a faster, better zoom albeit the same focal range as the kit lens..say 17-55 2.8.

A 50 1.8 will be a part of your kit for a long time (50 1.4, 50 1.2 are available and though they cost many times more than the 50 1.8..they are not that many times sharper)

You will be surprised how much 2 stops can help in low light situations. Most kit lenses start at f/3.5 which can create issues when trying to capture photos in low light.

The optics of a 50mm lens are much better than a comparably priced zoom lens. The more moving parts there are to a lens the more expensive it is to make. Prime lenses have much fewer moving parts than zoom lenses so the lens manufacturers can use better optics and offer lower prices

Just my 2 cents, maybe the gurus can shed more light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Its a fast prime with excellent image quality. So owning this automatically makes u cool. This is an added bonus besides the fact that it takes excellent images. However if u want just one lens with your cam, 50mm will make u cooler, while an 18-55 will be more useful. So take ur pick!
I know what the 50 1.8 is capable of and agree that it is a wonderful piece of equipment for the price. My problem is with using 50mm as the only lens. I would pick useful any day over cool.
Old 15th May 2011, 17:39   #7393
BHPian

^^+1 to that. For day-to-day use, 50mm will be very limiting. A walk-around lens is always handy and useful than a 50 mm. 50 mm is a purposeful lens.
Old 15th May 2011, 19:08   #7394
BHPian

Sad news. Lost both my lens caps (for Canon 18-55 & 55-250)

I think we can use Nikon's 58mm cap for Canon also right? Where do you think I can get one? Ebay is ok?
Old 15th May 2011, 19:32   #7395
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
Sad news. Lost both my lens caps (for Canon 18-55 & 55-250)

I think we can use Nikon's 58mm cap for Canon also right? Where do you think I can get one? Ebay is ok?
Go to your local camera market. You will find lens caps for 50-60rs each. Much cheaper than the 3-4$ on ebay.com
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks